Chapter 9

Even if the days a gloom, flowers still bloom.

“Do you want to hold him Kai?” Jean asked the man who was sitting beside her casually playing with Kangdae’s little hand.

“I-I don’t know, what if I drop him?” Jongin didn’t really feel comfortable holding a little life in his hands, he’s scared he might break Kangdae. Jean only chuckled.

“You won’t, just keep him close to your body” she instructs as she prepares to hand the little boy over to him. Jongin quickly stands to his feet to get a grip on Kangdae and gently brings him over to his chest, to which he then sits back down again. Jongin was in awe, he was such a tiny thing, it was hard to believe he was holding a new life in his hands. Hands that have taken life countless of times.

“He looks like you” Jongin said while gazing down at the babies features.

“Really? I thought he looked a lot like his donor” Jean bluntly responded causing Jongin to release a loud laugh, momentarily shocking the baby in his arms.

“ donor?”

“Well he’s definitely not the father, hes merely a man who helped to create my child now” Jean harrumphed, clearly disgruntled at the thought of her child looking like the man she hated.

“You won’t hate Kangdae if he grows to look more and more like him will you?”

“Of course I won’t! I am offended you would even think that, I as a mother, would think to abandon my child for a petty reason like that” she let out playfully with a hint of anger.

“I’m sorry, I guess you’re a good mother then” he whispered with an odd tone.

“What makes you say that?”

“Well…I had a mother, a father and an older brother. But after dad left, mum started to resent us because we looked like him and I guess she couldn’t handle it and left us” Jongin let out. He was surprised he even told her something so personal, but then again, nothing is as personal as watching her give birth.

“Oh Kai, that’s honestly the worst thing a mother can do, how old were you?” she looked upon him with sad eyes, while he continued to give attention to the baby he was holding.

“I was ten, my older brother was fifteen. We joined a gang to survive and the rest is history I guess. I’m with EXO now and we’re a bit dysfunctional but I know they care, more so than my brother anyway” he uttered is distain.

“Isn’t your brother in EXO too?” she inquired, seemingly interested in his story.

“No.” his face began to curl up with emotion, it was safe to assume he didn’t have a good relationship with his brother anymore.

“Then where is he?”

“Well we joined gangs, he just joined the wrong one. The one where they hurt innocent people, the one EXO tries to take down and bring justice. We are not a gang of misfits, we just want this city to be safer since all of us have lost happiness in our lives due to gang related activity” Jongin stated changing his gaze from Kangdae to Jean who looked pained. She felt horrible for misjudging him, thinking he was like her ex.

“I’m sorry for thinking bad things about you, turns out you or exo are nothing like him” she apologised, making Jongin give out a bashful smile.

“Don’t apologise, it was an expected reaction, I understand” he replies.

“Kai…I know this may seem sudden but please don’t leave me. You’re a stranger, I know, but you’re all that Kangdae and I have. These past couple of weeks I’ve become dependant on you and now that Kangdae is here I just can’t risk doing anything to hurt him. I tried to leave the other night and that ended with me giving birth to him prematurely. I just don’t know what to do, every choice I’ve made in life seems to turn to . I just for once need to make the right choice and I need your help in doing that” she explained with a worried countenance, afraid that he would reject her.

“From the start I told you I would look after you and Kangdae, my thoughts haven’t changed since then. Just relax Jean, you don’t have to live in fear anymore” Jongin comforted as he stood and gave Kangdae back to her.

“In the meantime, I’m going to find out more about that ex of yours, if he’s doing anything illegal, EXO will have to bring him down, there’s no guarantee his life will be spared…Is that okay with you?” he asked hesitantly. He hoped she would say yes.

“Taemin is dead to me, do as you please” she responded. He was going to smile but was taken by surprise with the name she mentioned.

“Taemin?” he clarified.

“Yeah that’s his name” she confirmed. Jongin had a thought and he didn’t want it to be true.

“I have to go. Get some rest, I will come back later” and with that he was off. He needed to figure some things out.