Chapter 12

Even if the days a gloom, flowers still bloom.

 

“You’re mumma’s chubba bubba aren’t you” Jean coo’s at her child who is currently being held high in the air. Kangdae was a few weeks old now and after Jeans relentless hours of feeding a nurturing, he was finally starting to gain weight. So much weight that he was starting to get a little chubby. Jean was elated though, because that meant her baby boy was feeding well and becoming cuter as the days pass by.

“I’m so proud of you my boy, you’ve been such a good little baby” she says as she brings him down and starts smothering his little cheeks with kisses. To her delight Kangdae gave her a little toothless smile from her actions, causing her to giggle at her son’s cuteness.

Jongin was watching with fond eyes from the kitchen. He came out of his room this morning and was surprised to see mother and child playing together so happily. So instead of interrupting he quietly made his way to the kitchen to make a cup of coffee and observe their interactions from afar.

Jongin’s heart felt…full. He never really knew the meaning of family quite like this. He knew his past family was crap and his relationship with EXO were like brothers in nature, but it was nothing like how he feels now. He feels calm, warm and for once wasn’t angry at the world. He was broken out of his reverie when Kangdae started to cry. His little wales piercing his ears and causing his heart to thump hard in concern. He quickly left the kitchen to find out what was wrong.

“Is he okay?” Jongin inquired from behind Jean, startling her as she was rocking the baby, trying to calm him down.

“Um,  I don’t really know. He’s not tired since he just woke up, he’s not hungry since I fed him after he woke up, and I checked his diaper and there’s nothing. He seems to be just having a little sook” Jean concluded, trying to hush the baby so he would stop crying.

“May I?” Jongin asked with hands out, a gesture of wanting to hold the baby. Jean was surprised but had no complaints. So she gently gave the boy to Jongin, who quickly yet tactfully brought the baby up to his broad chest. He then began to bounce him a little while patting his back in a soothing rhythm. It didn’t take long for Kangdae to stop crying and completely fall into the darkness of sleep. Inside Jongin was proud of himself, a great feeling of accomplishment washed over him like a wave. Maybe parenting wasn’t so bad as he so often thought. Sure, children come with a lot of set backs, but it was moments like this that made it all worth it in the end.

Jean was almost jealous but in awe. Jealous because her son rejected her warmth but happily basked in Jongin’s. But also, in awe because of how nurturing Jongin was. Kangdae was not his child but in some instances, like right now, she almost thought he was.

When Jongin was confident Kangdae was fast asleep, he walked over to the little cot set out in the lounge room and carefully placed him inside of it, making sure to cover him up with the blankets so he kept warm.  

“Well, well, well” Jean whispered in a teasing tone.

“What?” he replied curiously.

“What are you? Some kind of baby whisperer?” she inquires, interested in learning how he got so good with babies.

“Well, what can I say, I am a man of many talents” he jokes causing Jean to burst out in a quiet laughter.

“A man indeed. But talented? I’m not sure if you’ve given me reason to believe this” she jabs trying to damage his ego. Jongin playfully takes offence to her words and covers his heart with his palm, exaggerating how hurt he was.

“You hurt me Jean” he says, eyes scrunched together and lips pouting…it was almost cute. Oh, who was she kidding, he was cute. Jongin noticed her stare after he opened his eyes.

“Why are you looking at me like that?” he asks in a playful accusatory tone. She looks up into his eyes with a smile.

“Just thinking how the great and fearless Kim Kai can be so adorable” she says while leaning forward to inspect his face more. Jongin gulped, not expecting her response.

“Now that I look at you more, I can see your resemblance to Taemin but…I guess you’re better looking” she reveals with a small giggle. Jongin looked down upon her with soft smile, also admiring her face.

“You guess? I thought it was obvious that I was the better looking younger brother that the sister in law always finds hot” he claims cheekily with a large smile on his face, causing Jean to lightly slap him for his idiocy.

“You sounded like a playboy just then, are you a womanizer Kim Kai?” she probes, poking his chest with every syllable. Jongin lifts his eyebrow with a slight smirk on his lips.

“I don’t know, I definitely can be. Part of my job is to seduce men and women” he says.

“And what’s your success rate Mr. Kim” she presses on curiously. Jongin leans forward so they were now so close that their nose was almost touching. Jean took a deep breath in, heart racing from his actions. She was literally lost in his gorgeous brown eyes. She had never really thought about it but Jongin was an extremely attractive man. A man who was strong. A man who was caring for her and her child. A man who was sweet. A man who was stable. A man her heart could easily fall for.

“100%” he whispers, the breath from his words blowing onto her lips. Her breath hitched. It almost seemed like a strange force was bringing them together. Both of them were lost in the moment, not caring that their lips were about to touch and they would have touched it if it hadn’t been the baby boy who started crying. His cries broke the both of them apart. Jean quickly got up and went over to him, hiding her flustered face into his tiny body.

Jongin cleared his throat awkwardly, he was also flustered, redness appearing on his cheeks.

“I’m just going to see EXO, to check if they’ve done anymore on the case” he says quickly. Jean meekly nod’s and he hurriedly runs out of the room.

“What just happened baby?” She worriedly questions, kissing her child’s head fondly.