Chapter 15

Even if the days a gloom, flowers still bloom.

Jongin was reluctant to stay with Jean as they had not spoken since that night. In fact, he didn’t know how to talk to her after that incident. He couldn’t just carry on with life they way it was and honestly, he didn’t want to deal with the awkwardness. But Junmyeon gave him this order, so he was just going to have to bite the bullet and deal with it.

He came up to the door of their living quarters once more, it was funny. What once was his home was now a beacon of anxiety. What’s even more funny? He’s a gang member. They’re supposed to be fearless, uncaring and nonchalant, but now this girl has come along and thrown him off balance.

With an intake of air, he opens the door, ready as he would ever be to face this situation. At first, he peaked his head around the door, the lights were dimmed, and he couldn’t hear any noise. They must be sleeping, Jongin thought. Gaining more confidence, he walked his full body into the place beelining towards the kitchen to get himself as glass of water.

Jean, who was in her room lying next to the sleeping Kangdae, heard the noise and lifted her head up. Realisation dawned on her that Jongin was home and she didn’t know how to react. Like Jongin, she too was very anxious about seeing him again. But now that she has become a mother, feelings like that don’t affect her as much as they used to. It’s almost like she’s become stronger in the wake of her son’s birth. Wasting no time, she carefully got up from the bed and headed out to see him.

Jongin had his back to her when she rounded the corner into the kitchen, clueless on how to get his attention, she settled with a small clear of the throat. Hearing the sound, Jongin quickly turned around and locked eyes with her.

“Hey Kai” she said with a small wave. Jongin did nothing but stared at her. She could feel the self-consciousness beginning to burn under her skin.

Jongin took another sip of water and proceeded to talk.

“Hey, how have you been? How’s Kangdae?” He inquired, pulling off the nonchalant act. Jongin had decided that he would become curter and more aloof when speaking to Jean.

“Yeah, we’re good” She says with a small smile.

“That’s good” Jongin replies with a nod, walking towards the living area. Jean followed him in tail.

“So listen” he speaks up, sitting down on the end of the couch, one arm on the backside and the other on the arm rest.

“Suho, our leader, he wants me to stay with you guys tonight instead of going out with them” he informs. Jean’s eyebrows furrow in concern as she makes her way to sit on the other side of the couch.

“Why would he ask such a thing?” she asks, voice not hiding her worry.

“I’m not entirely sure, something about not trusting our systems security and wanting to put me in as a failsafe- we’re not under attack or anything, he’s just worried I guess” Jongin answers.

“Oh I see….well now that you’re here, maybe we could do something. It’s getting so boring being locked up in here by myself, especially when Kangdae is asleep” She utters with a chuckle, wanting to set a light-hearted atmosphere. Jongin didn’t want that.

“Jean. I am security for you and Kangdae, I cannot be security if I am distracted” he sternly states. He felt bad, but it was for the greater good.

“Surely you can at least spare a couple hours, just until I go to sleep” Jean reasoned. She was so hopeful, looking at him with her puppy dog eyes. Jongin didn’t have the heart to say no.

“Okay fine, what do you want to do?” he let in, shocked that he couldn’t stand to oppose her for longer than a few seconds. I’m screwed.