Chapter 1

Even if the days a gloom, flowers still bloom.

Quick hammering breaths and the clanking thud of boots resonated throughout the deserted ally way as he ran. His hair damp from sweat but sent chills throughout his body from the cold air pressing upon him. Getting home, getting warm, being safe is what worked him to escape the enemy in the darkness of Seoul city.

“Kai where are you!? Are you alright?” came a panicked voice though an in-ear piece, triggering the man to completely halt with his hands on his knees to catch his breath. Hiding in the casted shadow from an old unused dumpster, he looked both ways to make sure he was safe before replying.

“I’m fine. Just got a bit caught up” he says nonchalantly, not eluding to the distress he was in just moments beforehand.

“Kai stop being so cocky, we know they were after you” his team mate said unimpressed.

“Where are you? Send us your location and we will come and get you” they continued in a calming yet authoritative tone. Kai chuckled as he knew he could never get anything past the guy.

“I would tell you if I could hyung, but I can’t.  I’m in some dark part of town in an ally way. But don’t worry about me, I’ve lost them now so I will be home within the hour” he responds in a quirky tone, ensuring the man in his in-ear device of his safety.

“If you’re not home within the next couple of hours, we’re coming to find you” the man says before ending the conversation.

With that, Kai was left alone in the quiet, cold and dark space, trying to figure out his next move. He looked both ways and decided to go right, that decision changed his life forever.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 Kai was not a good guy; however, he wasn’t a bad guy either. Sure, he’s a member of the country’s most notorious mafia gang, but that did not mean they were bad people. Yes, he’s killed, but those kills were only done because they deserved to die. They were more like a Mafia who uses illegal means to capture and exterminate people who made their country unsafe. In a sense, they were the people who did what the police couldn’t do. He’s been in a lot of situations where he needed to think of his morals but nothing could prepare him for what was around the corner.

In the distance he heard a woman crying, it sounded pained and Jongin didn’t like it.  He was filled with the need to find out what was wrong. As he got closer he came across an image he’d never expect to find. A heavily pregnant woman, crying her eyes out as she sat on the dirty ground. Kai was shocked, he’s never been in such a situation before but he knew he wasn’t going to leave her. This place was not safe for a woman, especially a pregnant woman.

“Excuse me” he voiced out, unsure of how to handle the situation. The woman flinched at the sound of his voice and halted her sobbing to look up at the man who startled her.

“Y-yes?” she answered with a voice break and tears running down her face which she tried to cover up by quickly wiping them away. Jongin was pained by the look in the woman’s eyes, she looked young and somewhat beautiful- it was hard to tell with her red face and swollen eyes.

“Are you okay? Not to intrude but this place really isn’t safe for you” Jongin replied out of concern. The woman listened to his words and looked around, noticing how horrible her environment was.

“I-I didn’t realise” she muttered as she stood up, not daring to look into his eyes because she felt so insecure under his beautiful gaze.

“If you don’t mind me asking…what is a woman like you doing here?” he asked concerned.

The woman didn’t reply she only looked down in shame, knowing she could have potentially put herself and her child in danger.

“Miss?” he pressed on, wanting to know the answer. She looked up to his chest, not daring to look at his face.

“I ran away from home”