Chapter 5

A Wolf's Journey

An awkward silence passed between everyone in the jeep, no one wanting to speak in case it set someone off. Cory focused on driving while Kisu stared out the passenger side window staring off into space as he listened to Jisung hum to himself as he walked around the city. Chani looked out his window watching the scenery while Jaehwan did the same thing on his side. Zuho looked up at the ceiling and pretended to take a nap.

"Ah, we're here," said Cory as he pulled up to a mall in Seattle. "Good, I was getting hungry," said Jaehwan, causing Zuho to snort. "You and your stomach," said Zuho. Chani chuckled some as Kisu and Cory got out, moving the seats to let the others out. Once the others were out Cory and Kisu closed their doors and Cory locked the jeep, putting the keys in his pocket.

"Well, I guess we can get lunch," said Kisu as he looked at the time. "You guys want anything?" He asked Zuho and Chani. "Nah," said Chani. Zuho shook his head no. "Alright, let's go and get food then," said Cory before they headed into the mall. After stopping to get food, Chani and Zuho decided to go on their own for a little bit, letting the others eat while they went to shop for their own clothes.

"Where are you going after this?" Asked Zuho as he walked around with Chani. "Not sure just yet," said Chani. "I might head back east, see how Daniel and them are doing," he said. "You plan on tagging along with those two?" Asked Zuho. "I might," said Chani as he scratched the back of his head. "It'd be nice to not go on foot for once," he said. "I'm sure they're still headed that way anyway," he said. "Mm," said Zuho as he nodded.

"So how had you two been travelling around?" Asked Kisu as he ate his lunch. "We were on foot," said Jaehwan as he shrugs. "I'm also a vampire hunter so it kinda makes sense," he said. "I prefer to travel in animal form so I can get places faster," he said. Cory hummed in response. "That seems rather interesting," said Kisu. "How do you manage with clothes and things?" He asked. "Zuho keeps them in a backpack," said Jaehwan. "Normally I have no problem with it but," he said, shrugging. "I'm down to my last pair of clothes so," he said. After lunch they went to find Chani and Zuho, who were still walking around.

"Waiting on us?" Asked Kisu as he found them. "Not really," said Chani as he turned to Kisu and Cory. "We just haven't found a store to go into yet," he said. "Well, let's go then," said Kisu. They headed into the nearest store to look for clothes.

They spent the next few hours getting clothes they needed, Zuho and Jaehwan only getting a couple outfits while Chani got new shoes and got some clothes he'd wear until he met up with Daniel and them again when he could get more clothes from his room he shared with Daniel, Jisoo and Seokwoo. Kisu and Cory got some new clothes as well, though they'd do laundry once they were back at Minhyun's house.

Once done with their shopping Jaehwan wanted food again so they got food for the road, splitting the food between the three of them. Zuho and Chani declined on getting food again, and they soon headed back to the jeep to go back to Minhyun's pack house.

Kisu drove back this time, listening to Jisung singing to himself as he hummed along. "You sound like you're having fun," said Chani as he had sat in the passenger seat while Cory sat in the back behind him with Jaehwan in the middle and Zuho in the driver's side. "Sorry, Jisung's singing and it's rather catchy," Kisu said with a chuckle. "I see," said Chani as he chuckled some. "Kisu does this alot," Cory called from the back seat.

"I still find it hilarious that you are entertained by this," said Jisung as he found himself by the river again. "Yeah, well," Kisu mumbled as he chuckled some. "You do the same thing Jisung," he said, saying what Jisung did when he was out. "That is true," Cory said, laughing some. Chani shook his head in amusement before looking out his window, leaning on his elbow some as he did so.


Once back at Minhyun's pack house Jaehwan got ready to go, saying he had to meet up with Seongwoo and Jihoon who were down in California. Kisu let them out before changing and letting Jisung out for a bit to stretch his legs.

"I will never get used to that," said Jaehwan as he scratched the back of his head. "Well," said Jisung. "If you ever meet Hyunjin and Jeongin while out doing your hunts say hello for me," he said. "I never see them when we go home anymore," he said. "Sure," said Jaehwan. Zuho threw a backpack over his shoulder after packing it up with Jaehwan's extra clothes. "Ready when you are," he said. "I'll see ya'll around then," said Jaehwan before he ran into the woods to strip and change. Zuho ran after him.

"Ah, it's time to do some laundry," said Cory as he sighed, getting all their clothes and going into the laundry room. Minhyun shook his head as Chani went to change his clothes and hand them to Jisung who went to put them in the laundry pile.

Chani came out of the bathroom dressed in an oversized hoodie over an orange turtleneck and a pair of black jeans and boots. "Nice outfit," said Cory as he spotted Chani. "Thanks," said Chani as he shrugs, putting his hands in his pockets.

"When are you guys going back east?" He asked. "In a few days," said Cory. "We've been on the road for 3 weeks now, we need to let the jeep cool off a bit," he said. "Why?" He asked, turning to Chani. "Ah, I need to make my way back east and I was wondering if I could hitch a ride," said Chani. "Where are you going?" Asked Jisung. "Ithaca," said Chani. "Was gonna visit Daniel to refresh my clothes supply," he said.

"Not going to stay long after that?" Asked Jisung. "No, I think a trip to Canada will do me some good," said Chani. "Change of scenery and things," he said.

"You really wanna stick to the vegetarian life style eh?" Asked Minhyun as he stood in the doorway. "It's more out of convenience than anything," said Chani as he shrugs. "I would rather hunt animals than hunt humans, despite the fact that I spend most of my days out in the forests now," he said.

"You're losing control then?" Asked Minhyun. "Slowly, but not as quick as you might think," said Chani. "I went through about 200 years now of hunting animals, it's a little easier to keep resisting," he said. "Well," said Jisung as he turned to Cory. "I guess we'll give you a ride east," said Cory. "But we need to make sure you'll be full until then," he said. "No worries," said Chani as he nodded.