Chapter 10

A Wolf's Journey

The next day Cory, Kisu and Chani left, saying goodbye and promising to come back when all this was over. They headed to Denver, hoping to catch Jeongin before or after his classes. Chani was in the passenger seat while Kisu drove and Cory was in the backseat wanting to catch some sleep.

"Hyunjin managed to message him before we left," said Kisu. "So we'll be able to catch him by his dorm room today," he said. "A wolf, like you?" Asked Chani. "Ah, more like Jisung," said Kisu. "He's the wolf in this instance," he said. "Jeongin wasn't made this way, he was born this way," he said. "There's people like that?" Asked Chani. "You never noticed?" Asked Kisu. Chani shook his head. "I guess you don't notice things like that when you're out in the forest trying to hunt animals," he said.

"I guess you wouldn't notice the small things like that in the city either," said Cory as he sat up. "I would guess so," said Kisu. "I think at that point you would have to look out for these things," he said. "It would explain why vampires avoid small towns then," said Chani. "They'd be protected by these... Animal-humans," he said.

"I wonder what others became like them," said Cory. "I'm sure we'll find out soon enough," said Kisu as they reached Denver. "Can you see if Jeongin is anywhere off campus?" He asked. Cory went to text Jeongin. "He can meet us at a Starbucks near campus," he said after a few minutes. He gave the address to Kisu and Kisu drove towards it.

Kisu pulled up to the Starbucks after a few minutes, spotting Jeongin standing outside. He parked the jeep before getting out and letting Cory get out of the jeep before closing the door. Chani got out a few seconds later, closing his door. "Hey Jeongin," said Cory as they walked over. "Hey there," said Jeongin as he grinned. "I'll be right back," said Kisu before he went into the Starbucks to go to the bathroom.

Jisung came back and tackled Jeongin, wrapping an arm around his shoulder. "The pup's growing up," he said, grinning. "Yah," said Jeongin as he moved out from Jisung's arm. "Who's this?" He asked as he spotted Chani who was watching with a small tilt of his head. "Ah," said Chani. "I'm Chani," he said, holding out a hand. "Jeongin," said Jeongin as he shook hands with Chani.

"He's with us until we visit Daniel again," said Jisung. "I see," said Jeongin as he nodded. "So did anyone else end up here?" Asked Jisung. "Our neighbor's youngest," said Jeongin. "The others wanted to try the hunting business and Kangmin wanted to continue school," he said. "We share a dorm room," he said. "They take whatever jobs to help Kangmin pay for school," he said. "I got a scholarship here so," he said, shrugging.

"What's your major?" Asked Jisung. "Medical school," said Jeongin as he shrugged. "I'm going to be a nurse," he said. "Nice," said Cory. "Good luck to you then," he said. "Come on, ya'll are headed to New York right? Get some coffee to go," said Jeongin. "Sure," said Cory. They headed into Starbucks to get coffee, though Chani declined getting coffee.

"I think we'll stop in Chicago," Cory said suddenly as they waited on their coffee. "Eh?" Asked Jisung as he turned to Cory. "Safe house there," said Jeongin. "Stayed there a few times," he said. "Also didn't some people get a mission there?" He asked. "Exactly why we're going," said Cory. "It's been a while since Kisu's seen Hyungwon," he said. "Ah right, last time we saw him was a few weeks ago," said Kisu. Jisung hummed in response as he nodded.

"He's like you then?" Asked Chani as he tilted his head to the side. "In a way yeah," said Jisung as he shrugged. "His wolf is Kisu's wolf," he said. "Interesting," said Chani.

"So," said Jeongin as he leaned towards Chani. "What are you exactly?" He asked. "They wouldn't pick up a random stranger without a reason," he said. Chani hummed as he flashed his fangs. "Well," he said, leaning back in his chair. "I'm harmless, so," he said, shrugging. Jeongin hummed as he nodded. "Alright then," he said, shrugging.

"Also," he said, turning to Jisung. "Finally changed out of that flannel jacket eh?" He asked, chuckling some. "Oh hush," said Jisung as he shook his head. Their order was called and Cory got up to go get it while Jisung went to the bathroom to change and let Kisu come back. Cory and Kisu came back at the same time, Cory handing Kisu his drink.

"Well, good luck to you," said Cory as he smiled some. "Thanks," said Jeongin as he grinned. "Have a safe drive, and good luck with Jimin," he said. "Yeah," said Cory as they headed out to the jeep.

"So he's your youngest?" Asked Chani once Kisu unlocked the jeep and let Cory into the back before climbing into the driver's seat. "Yeah," said Kisu as Chani got into the passenger seat. He waved to Jeongin before starting the jeep and driving off, heading towards Chicago. "Seems like a good kid," said Chani. "He is," said Cory. "Though I doubt he's going to be a hunter, he tried it but," he said, shrugging. Chani hummed in response.

Jisung sang to himself again to pass the time as Kisu drove, with Kisu humming along to the song as he focused on the road. "Jisung singing again?" Came Cory's voice as he played a game on his phone. "Yeah," said Kisu as he chuckled some. "What song is he singing anyway?" Asked Chani. "He calls it Hellevator," said Kisu as he shrugs. "Sounds catchy," said Chani. "It is," said Kisu as he chuckled some. "I know I come up with great songs, no need to brag about it," said Jisung, causing Kisu to laugh and repeat what he said. Cory chuckled some as he shook his head.

"How much longer 'til we get to Chicago?" Asked Chani. "A few hours," said Kisu as he put his phone on the dashboard dock. "We'll be there when we get there," he said. "Let us know if we need to stop somewhere so you can hunt," he said. "I will," said Chani as he got comfortable in his seat.