Chapter 11

A Wolf's Journey

Chani hummed to himself as he went hunting at a rest stop somewhere in Illinois, giving the reasoning to top of on his thirst so that he could handle being in Chicago.

"He's had to hunt a lot more since we left Washington," said Kisu as he sat on a bench with Cory. "Yeah," said Cory. "I'd imagine that once we're in familiar territory to him it'd die down some," he said. "He seems more tense than usual," said Jisung. Kisu hummed in response as he repeated what Jisung said. "He must've be getting thirsty then," said Cory.

Chani came back after a few minutes, wiping bits of blood away from his mouth. "Enjoy the hunt?" Asked Kisu as he turned to Chani. Chani shrugged. "I guess," he said. "Deer like usual then?" Asked Cory. Chani nodded. 

"Well, ready to go?" Asked Kisu as he stood. "I want to stop for gas before we reach Chicago," he said. "Sure," said Chani as he shrugs. "Yeah," said Cory as he got up. Kisu went to get a drink from the vending machines before going to the jeep and letting Chani into the back before getting into the driver's seat. Cory got into the passenger seat and Kisu started the jeep and backed out of the parking spot before driving off, continuing towards Chicago.

Once they reached Chicago Kisu parked in front of another jeep and looked towards the building. Hyungwon came outside, nodding to them. Kisu got out of the jeep and let Chani out before closing his door and Cory got out after him, going towards Hyungwon.

"Hey Hyungwon," said Kisu. "Hey there," said Hyungwon. "Ya'll must be tired, come on in," he said before going inside. Kisu, Cory and Chani followed after him. "You're with Daniel I assume?" Asked Hyungwon as he turned to Chani. Chani nodded. "I hunted earlier, I'm fine," he said. "Just making sure," said Hyungwon as Kisu clung to him. "Sorry," mumbled Kisu as he hung onto Hyungwon's shirt. "It's alright, it's been a few weeks," said Hyungwon as he sighed a bit.

"Who else is here?" Asked Cory. "Minghao and DK, they got a hunting mission," said Hyungwon. "Well, let's get situated in the livingroom then," he said, and Kisu moved away, scratching the back of his head. "I hate being so clingy sometimes," said Kisu as he shook his head. Hyungwon chuckled some. "No worries, really, the others understand," he said as he went into the livingroom where DK and Minghao were sitting on the couch, watching a movie. Chani found a spot on the floor as Cory sat on the loveseat. Hyungwon sat in front of the couch on the floor with Kisu beside him.

"God, now I understand how you feel when I'm out and Cory's clinging to me," Jisung said suddenly as he laid on the bed, staring up at the skylight. Kisu hummed slightly in response as he nodded some. "What'd Jisung say?" Asked Cory. "He understands now how it is when he is out and you're suddenly being all clingy," said Kisu. Cory snorts. "I'm not that clingy," he said. Hyungwon chuckled some.

"I dunno," said Minghao as he chuckled some. "When you guys were in Boston you were clingy," he said. "You're not helping my case," Cory said with a sigh, causing everyone to laugh. "So where's the building owner?" Asked Kisu. "Vacation," said Hyungwon. "He knows we're here though," he said.

"Well," said DK. "Are you going to the lake Monday?" He asked. "It's Saturday isn't it?" Asked Kisu. "Yeah," said Hyungwon. "I guess," said Cory. "It's Jin's birthday, we didn't know him but we might as well," said Kisu as he turned slightly to look at Chani. "He's one of the people at that lake right?" Asked Chani. Kisu nodded. "Okay," said Chani.

"You're more understanding than I thought," said Minghao as he turned to Chani. "I've been alive for 200 years," said Chani. "I've seen more than my fair share of deaths by now," he said. "None of them were caused by you then," said DK. "No," said Chani. "I've been a vegetarian the whole time," he said.

"But since learning of the list I was put on I'm starting to rethink my diet just a little," he said. "I won't hunt humans though," he added quickly. "Even if I'm fighting a slowly losing battle, I'd sooner die than give into it," he said. "No worries," said Minghao. "We know what to do if something goes wrong," he said. "I don't doubt that," said Chani.

After the movie Minghao and DK went to their room to get ready for bed. "Ya'll can be across the hall from us," said Hyungwon. "The entire second floor is for guests so," he said, shrugging. "Sure," said Cory. "I get a room to myself? Wow," said Chani as he chuckled some. Hyungwon laughs. "It's up to you," he said. "I'll get my own room," said Chani. "Though I won't need the bed I need to recharge all my chargers again," he said. 

Kisu was in the same bed as Hyungwon that night, needing to be close. "It feels longer than a few weeks," said Kisu as he sighed some. Hyungwon hummed in response. "Well, Joshua is willing to let you move into the pack house when you eventually stop being nomadic," he said. "I guess," said Kisu. "But it's not a mating bond," he said. "I know," said Hyungwon. "You completed your circle, and so have I," he said. "It's just your wolf," he said. "I guess," said Kisu.

Cory and Chani ended up in the same room that night, only because Chani didn't sleep so he didn't need his own room. "You sure you're okay with me in here?" Asked Chani. "Yeah," said Cory. "You're good, you don't really need to sleep," he said. "Yeah well," said Chani as he sighed some. "I'm not going to attack you," said Cory. "If I was you wouldn't've made it out of Washington state," he said. "True," said Chani as he leaned against the wall. "I'm going to sleep then," said Cory as he put his phone on the nightstand. "Goodnight," said Chani. "Goodnight," said Cory.