Chapter 12

A Wolf's Journey

The next few days were a bit awkward for everyone as Chani avoided the werewolves in the house as much as possible. The need to be near Hyungwon waned after the first day so Kisu and Hyungwon had some breathing room.

Cory and Kisu were out at a coffee shop enjoying some time to just themselves since Chani was out exploring. "Are you sure we should've left him by himself?" Asked Cory. "I think if he was going to do anything I'm sure he would let us know," he said. "He did let us know that he was exploring though," he said. 

"He really must want to go home," said Jisung as he sat on the bench by the river. "Either that or he wants to get away from the city as soon as he can," said Kisu once he repeated what Jisung said. "Or both," said Cory.

"This is where you guys went?" Asked Hyungwon as he walked over. "The kids on their mission?" Asked Cory as he turned to Hyungwon. Hyungwon nodded. "I told them you were probably out for coffee so I went to find you," he said. "Chani was at the park last I saw him," he said. "I went to see where he went so," he said, shrugging. Kisu hummed in response.

"He's been avoiding everyone," said Cory as he drank some coffee. "I think it's because of the hunters," said Hyungwon. "I want to assure him that those two mean no harm but," he said, sighing a bit. "He's more relaxed now but when it gets to the point where he's thirsty he's tense, like very tense," said Jisung with Kisu repeating what he said. "Yeah I'd say that," said Cory.

 

~



Chani sat on a bench, sipping some coffee as he people watched, he had to keep up appearances after all. "It's been a long time Chani," came a voice behind Chani as he heard someone lean against the back of the bench he was sitting on. "Hello Sunggyu," said Chani.

"I see you own Chicago now," he said, looking at his coffee cup. "My coven and I aren't even on the list of vampires to hunt down," said Sunggyu. "Fun," said Chani. "Are you trying to be like Italy?" He asked. "No," said Sunggyu. "It's just Sungjong, Sungyeol, Myungsoo and I," he said.

"Dongwoo and Woohyun ran like cowards then," said Chani as he scoffs. "Not my fault," said Sunggyu. "After Hoya's passing they became scared," he said. "I let them go," he said.

"Are you still a vegetarian?" He asked. "Of course," said Chani as he shrugs. "You're welcome to join me in my hunts when I eventually get to Canada," he said. "A change of scenery would be nice," said Sunggyu.

"Still got the same phone number?" Asked Chani. "Yeah," said Sunggyu. "We're just here in Chicago temporarily until Sungjong gets bored," he said. "Of course," Chani said with a snort. "Well, it can't be too bad," he said. "At least you get entertainment," he said. "I'm stuck in a jeep with 2 werewolves for most of the hours I've been on the road since leaving Washington," he said. Sunggyu chuckled.

"How do you manage the thirst?" Chani asked suddenly before drinking some more coffee. "I don't think about it," said Sunggyu as he shrugged. "It's also much easier if you've hunted a human," he said. "I refuse to do so," grumbled Chani. "You know my reasoning behind this Sunggyu," he said. "Unfortunately," Sunggyu said, sighing.

Chani finished his coffee before getting up. "I'm going to go," he said, turning to Sunggyu, who hummed in response as he turned his head to look at Chani. "I'll see you around then, brother," said Sunggyu. Chani nodded and grinned, before walking away, heading back to the house.

 

~



"Ah, he went home," said Kisu as he got a text. "Well, we should go then," said Cory as he got up. Hyungwon hummed as he checked his phone for what happened with DK and Minghao. "Ah, they're done too," he said. "We'll go and get dinner then," said Kisu as he got up. Hyungwon got up and they went to get dinner for everyone.

They saw Chani sitting on the front steps. "The others aren't back yet?" Asked Kisu. "They are, but I gave them some privacy," said Chani. "Tomorrow we're heading out to the lake," said Kisu. "After that we're heading to Ithaca," he said. Chani nodded.

"What'd you do all day?" Asked Kisu as they entered the house yelling that they were home. Minghao and DK came downstairs and went to get dinner from Cory after saying thanks. "Sat on a bench and people watched," said Chani as he shrugged. "I think I told you that though," he said. "You did," said Kisu as he went to get dinner and sit down on the floor in front of the couch to eat. The others found their places to sit and eat as Kisu put on a movie.

Jisung was let out that night, since Cory felt the need to be clingy again. "We're literally right next to each other 24/7," he said, sighing as Cory stuck nearby, clinging to the back of his hoodie. "I'm sorry," said Cory as he scratched the back of his head. "I will never understand why this is even a thing," said Chani as he sighed a bit. "Goodnight then," said Hyungwon before he headed to bed. "Goodnight," said Jisung and Cory before they headed into their room. Chani went to his room, relieved to have a room to himself.

"As I stated the other day," said Kisu as he laid down in the meadow, humming to himself. Jisung snorts as he shook his head, going into the bathroom to shower and change into new clothes. Once done he put up an illusion where he was wearing a t-shirt and a pair of basketball shorts before going into the bedroom to let Cory take a shower.

"If I didn't know any better," said Jisung once Cory came out of the bathroom dressed in a t-shirt and basketball shorts. "I'd think that we were mates," he said. Cory chuckled some. "I know," he said. "Sorry for being clingy," he said. "It's alright," said Jisung.