Five

Held
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"They're basically headphones?" Kris eyed the cords connected to his earpiece leading to the other end of the cable on blushing Junmyeon's.

"Kind of? But these connectors are just for the testing, once the results come out and nothing else needs to be altered, they'll be cordless."

Baekhyun pressed a button on both their earpieces, which showed a blue blinking light that indicated the device was switched on and in use.

"What's the purpose of this thing again?"

"Communication." He smiled and thought of all the possibilities his idea has to offer and raising an eyebrow at Kris asking if there are any follow up inquiries.

"What kind of communication??" Junmyeon exclaimed and made the two squeak in surprise.

Mr. Kim had his eyes focused on his employee, avoiding any further conversation with his co-participant who was sitting in front of him. "I mean, w-what kind of communication? What exactly is the difference with verbal conversations?"

"As you know, Sir Junmyeon. Only half of what we say are qtruths. And the rest of it are filtered, barricaded choice of words, somewhat lies."

Baekhyun's participants both looked at him silently. Meanwhile, he was amused by how obedient they both looked just seated in front of each other trying their best to be as proper as possible.

"When a certain information is received by the brain, most times, the first reaction is hidden by the person depending on what kind of information it is. But eventually, it'll spill it's true intentions, emotions, it's true self. In my opinion, the more you try and control your mind into believing something that is not, the more it'll want to drop its guard down."

He sighed and walked towards the podium, on top of it is the audio equipment to be used for the product testing. "Some people can even fool themselves in order to save them from misery. This device, hopefully does the trick. We'll find out in a few weeks wether it can really do it's job."

Now both the participants are looking as uneasy as ever.

"Why bother forcing the mind to break it's walls and reveal it's true thoughts when a person is comfortable with doing so? Will it not affect them? It takes a lot of courage to open up to someone and letting them into your mind."

"I hope you know that we are a company associated with medical establishments? This concept will be phenomenal if it passes the series of exercises we'll be having." Baekhyun mused, fumbling over the buttons and knobs of the audio component. "It can help a lot of patients, and I've only realized recently that it could also help people with hearing disabilities to learn how to speak more conveniently using this."

Kris nodded and let out a small breathy chuckle before turning to face Junmyeon. "I didn't know you made products for medical establishments." Baekhyun saw the looks on his participants faces and cleared his throat. "So, are we read---"

"I guess you never really listened to me." Junmyeon whispered, looking back at the tall male.

"Junm--"

"We're starting the tests kids let's try and play nice for the next hour and a half okay? Good." The tension is slowly rising and Baekhyun is clearing his throat once more, tapping his pen on the podium to get their attentions. Kris gave the small male an irritated glance, scoffing before staring back at the CEO.

"Now, I will be saying some random words. And whatever comes to mind first, do not, I repeat, do not try and hold back. Just let it flow. No one needs to say anything, just concentrate on your thoughts." Baekhyun waved his remote control in the air and nodded at the two men seated in front of him.

He looked to his right. "Mr. Kim?"

Then to his left. "Mr. Wu?"

They both took a deep breath, Junmyeon motioning his hand for him to proceed.

After being satisfied with their cooperation, he took out his phone and tapped on the audio recording icon. "First attempt. Starting."

"Coffee."


Americano.                  Hot beverage.


Baekhyun scratched his chin and rested his arms on the podium.


"Rain."


Umbrella.                      Drive carefully.


The shorter male smiled, raising two thumbs up for them to see. The product is working well so far. Their voices were clear and gentle, without them saying a word but their answers still echoed across the room much to Baekhyun's satisfaction. Indeed, the brain is a wonderful piece of study material with endless possibilities.

"Love."


Kim Junmyeon.


Baekhyun straightened up from his position, nervously waiting for a response from his boss who is slowly looking to the person behind him.

Being left behind.


The silence after was deafening. Baekhyun stopped his recording and looked back at his participants engaged in a staring contest. "Oh dear."

 

 

 

 

"Kyungsoo, please. I'm gonna lose my if I spend another hour with them." He groaned as he massaged his temples, frustrated with their first trial. It took him a whole day to get those two to cooperate with the procedure while he felt like throwing up with nervousness because of all the tension and awkwardness that radiated around them. He ranted on and on about it with Kyungsoo on their bus ride home.

"I could only imagine. Answer's still no, though. We all know you, out of all people, have better knowledge regarding this product."

"I guess so. I just hope they'll settle their issues sooner so I can continue with the trials in peac--"

Ring ring.

Baekhyun took out his phone and pressed the power button to silence the ringtone, wincing as he read who the call was from, just staring at the screen until it stopped.

"What's the matter? I thought you were seeing each other now?"

"I don't know. I just. It's so sudden. I--"

Ring ring.

"Talk to him."

He let out a huff and closed his eyes before answering the call.

"Mm." He greeted, biting two of his fingers. "Okay. Bye." Baekhyun shoved his phone back in his pocket and pouted. "He's waiting for me outside my house." He whispered to his friend.

"Perfect. Please do me a favor and fix whatever the problem is with you two. I don't want any of you getting hurt, okay?" Giving his friend a pat on the cheek after pressing the stop request button.

"I don't know what to say to him. I..I mean, I like him--"

"You kissed him back. I don't see why you're trying to avoid him. You clearly like each other, am I wrong?"

"Because it was too fast! Things went too fast. I barely know him, Soo."

Kyungsoo broke into a laugh and shook his head. "You have all the time in the world to get to know him, Baek. Stop straining and just melt into Park Chanyeol's hold."

Baekhyun remained staring at his friend through the window even after he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter