Sixteen

Held
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Baekhyun fidgeted on the strap of his backpack, biting his lower lip repeatedly while he stared at his phone, occasionally flipping his eyes to the front door.



I'm just around the corner



Was the last text Chanyeol sent, and that was about fifteen minutes ago. He can't believe he's meeting up with his ex-fiancé today as well, and he's not too sure if he's feeling sick or just excited by the thought of spending the day with him.

"Byunnie!"

A voice called out from outside his house, followed by a loud banging on his door. All enough to make him jump from his seat in surprise. He took a deep breath, and another, before he grabbed his beanie and quickly put it on.

"Byunnie! It's--"

The door already swung open before he could pound the wood some more. Smiling widely at the shorter male who stood quietly in front of him. "Goodmorning, Byunnie." He greeted.

"G-goodmorning, Chanyeol." Baekhyun shyly responded, looking up to his eyes. Clearing his throat with an awkward smile. "Are we ready to go?"

To his surprise, the taller male shook his head. "I brought breakfast so let me in already." He raised his arm and showed the shorter male a big brown paper bag, waving it in his face.

"O-oh. You didn't have to..I could have cooked for us if you wanted to."

"I got up early and prepared a little something so we could have it before we go. I hope you're ready cause it's gonna be a long day." The tall male chuckled as he was ushered to the kitchen. He then placed the bag on the table and started taking the contents out, laying them neatly one by one.

"Wow. That's a lot.." Baekhyun watched as Chanyeol continuously took out food from inside the paper bag. There's fruit salad, omelettes, sausages, muffins, and even hot chocolate.

Chanyeol placed one of the paper cups filled with hot chocolate in front of the other and proceeded to fold the bag once it was emptied out, turning to rummage through Baekhyun's kitchen. "I remembered you didn't like coffee.." He said, going through the drawers for some utensils. "So I made you something else." Referring to the hot beverage in Baekhyun's hands. Making the shorter male blush and pull the cup closer to him.

"Here. I didn't wanna trouble you so I cooked. Let's hope it's still good." Chanyeol finally sat down, handing a fork and a knife to the other.

"Thank you. And I bet it's still good!" Baekhyun smiled and was already taking a piece of each when the other male glanced at him with a serious look.

"Let's give it a try then. I'd kill myself if I messed this up too." Making it sound casual, exhaling as he bit into a piece of apple from the salad.

And just like before, Baekhyun's got this weird feeling that they're not just talking about breakfast. He looked at the tall male and blinked. "H-huh?" Acting as if he wasn't thinking of anything else aside from the food.

"I said let's give it a try. To see if it's just as good before I left..before I left this morning." Chanyeol then popped the remaining piece of his apple into Baekhyun's trembling mouth.

"It's a bit sour.." He whispered, chewing the fruit slowly. "But it's still good.."

Chanyeol broke into a smile, never looking away from the other's eyes. "Maybe the apple picker saw wrong..maybe he didn't check thoroughly."

"Maybe he can't really tell..because the apple looks fine from the outside." The shorter male swallowed and took a small sip from his drink. "But as I said. It's still good. Still tastes like an apple."

"Even if it's sour?"

"It's sour because it's still underripe, Chanyeol. Not because it's rotten." He chuckled and continued eating while the taller male remained smiling at him.

"It won't get a chance to be rotten, right? I mean, we're already eating the apple. Right?" Chanyeol picked another slice of said fruit, examining it all over.

"Still works, right? You made a salad out of it. Why are you so worried about a sour apple, anyway?"

The tall male pursed his lips and sighed. "Nothing much. Eat up, it's gonna be a long drive."

Baekhyun shrugged and hummed happily, enjoying the meal in front of him.

Speaking of meal, the shorter male cleared his throat awkwardly, eyeing the tall male and how attractive he looked in his dress shirt and slacks. And to add to the pretty image, his hair was brushed up neatly, showing his beautiful face.

"Byunnie."

Snapping out of his thoughts and almost dropping his silverware, he whipped his eyes towards Chanyeol who was gazing at him with another serious look.

"Y-yeah?"

"I'm sorry." He breathed out.

He didn't know what to say, or do. Baekhyun was completely not expecting this. Apologizing out of nowhere because of a stinking apple.

"You don't have to say anything. But know that I truly am sorry." Chanyeol bit the corner of his lower lip and looked down on his plate before standing up. "If you're done, we can leave." He picked up his plate and turned to the sink.

Baekhyun sat speechless, blinking at the tall male who was busy tinkering on the sink. And making a mental note to buy a sack of apples next time he goes to the store.
 

 

 

 

 

 

After their intimate breakfast, which almost caused Baekhyun to hyperventilate, they headed for the countryside where his cousin's rest house stood in the middle of a huge field of flowers and trees. It was maybe a few hectares of vibrant colors and different kinds of plants and gorgeous flowers, and at the very middle of the place, a huge rustic home made of brick and thick lumber with the most welcoming atmosphere can be seen as the car halted to a stop just outside the wooden fence separating the field and the small dirt road.

"Chanyeol, this place is beautiful. Are we still in the country?" He gushed like a kid, craning his neck to take a better look from inside the car.

"Yes, silly. Never been to the outskirts before?" The tall male smiles through his words, hopping off the car to open the back door. "Come on. We're just in time for noona's afternoon tea. I can't wait to try this with her." He placed the cake box and head piece under his arm and slammed the door shut, walking towards the gate with Baekhyun walking slowly behind him, still amazed by how wonderful the place looked like.

Chanyeol glanced behind him, shaking his head in amusement. "She's waiting for you, hurry up!" He called out.

"What?! She knows I'm coming?" Baekhyun's eyes popped out from his lids, clinging to his jacket a little tighter.

"Of course. She's been wanting to see you."

"She remembers me?"

"Not exactly. I've mentioned your name a few times when I tell her stories about me and her life to somehow get her memories working."

"Oh.." He blinked at the tall male when they reached the big front door that looked like it came out of a fairytale with all the vines crawling across the wood including little sprouts of flowerbuds colored purple and green.

So his ex-fiancè has mentioned him to his cousin who has amnesia for the last two years. He doesn't know why, and it shouldn't be a big deal, but for some reason it made Baekhyun happy that he did talk about him to his cousin.

Chanyeol cranked the knob and pulled the door to his right where it rolled behind the brick wall. "After you, Byunnie."

It really seemed that he can't get how the tall male just calls him 'Byunnie' like it's the most adult thing to do. Not that he dislikes it, no. In fact, it makes him giggly and warm inside. But he couldn't help but have a few little hopes that they could start over again since they're getting along so well.

Baekhyun's mouth fell open upon having a further look inside the house. It looks just as good as it did from the outside. The rest house contained a lot of antiques and rustic accents that complemented the expensive-looking furniture. He walked near the vintage baby grand piano that looked like the varnish had been worn off, making it look more suitable for decoration. Baekhyun smiled as he looked closely at the framed pictures on top of the piano. There he saw a chubby baby Chanyeol with a bigger kid which he guesses is his cousin that they're visiting today.

"Noona!"

Baekhyun jumped at the tall male's booming voice reverberating from all corners of the spacious abode.

"Channie's home, noona!" He shouted again, making the smaller male squint and step away from him.

Moments later, a petite woman in a beige sweater and jeans with the biggest smile came rushing from the back of the house. "Channie? You're here!" She exclaimed, dropping the basket of flowers she had in her hands as she jumped for the tall male's widely opened arms.

"Told you I'd bring you cake, didn't I? Oh, noona, Baekhyun's here. Say hi." Chanyeol stepped away from his cousin and glanced st a frozen Baekhyun standing meters away from them.

"Oooh. So he's Baekhyun. Hi! I've heard a lot about you. Literally. I'm Dara, Chanyeol told me we've met once before. Sorry if I couldn't recall.." She smiled so beautifully at the other who unnoticingly smiled in return at the lovely woman.

"It's alright. That's understandable. Nice to meet you.." Baekhyun extended his hand as he strode forward to where the other two stood and shook Dara's small hand.

"Okay let's head to the kitchen so we can cut this up already, I've been craving this. Thanks again, Channie!"

They all march for the kitchen which was as spacious as the receiving area. It had a big farmhouse dining table with at least six wooden seats on one side, and a long bench on the other. Above the dining table hung a log in which the cables of various shaped lightbulbs were wrapped around it, enough to let the bulbs dangle from the log, creating a more outdoorsy feeling.

"You kids can sit down while I prepare the plates and glasses. Oh, and Jiyong's probably on his way back here after we picked some flowers for the table.."

Chanyeol chuckled and shook his head, watching his cousin ramble on about how her day went with her fiancè, he then flipped his eyes over to Baekhyun who was attentively listening to the lady who laid fancy-looking plates and teacups on the big table. He looked so entertained with her stories, even pitching in little cute comments and laughs as he went to pick up the pretty flowers scattered on the floor.

"...that boy couldn't stop talking about you that I almost thought I knew you for a long time."

"I-is that so..I never expected him to talk about me so frequently." Baekhyun blushed, fluffing the petals lightly after putting them in the vase half-filled with water.

"Hey, Chan! You came."

They all had their attention to the black-haired male entering from the small door beside the kitchen counter with a basketful of dried flowers and leaves.

"Hyung. Long time no see." Chanyeol walked over to said person Baekhyun thinks is the one named Jiyong, giving him a pat in the back. Jiyong nodded and glanced over to Baekhyun who sat awkwardly on the long bench.

"That's Baekhyun, I suppose?" He smirked and nudged the tall male on his side. "Hi, my name is Jiyong. Dara's fiancè." He was a very charming man, intimidating yet interesting. Jiyong had tattoos on his arms, and a rather bigger one on his nape. It all surprisingly suits his personality, Baekhyun thought.

He made his way to greet the older male, shaking his hand with a small smile and a slight bow. "Nice to meet you, uh Jiyong? Or hyung?" They both laughed and Jiyong insisted on being called 'hyung' since he's a 'close friend' of Chanyeol. That word kinda had an unpleasant twinge on Baekhyun but shrugged it off because that's what they are. Just friends.
 

 

 

 

 

 

After their little cake and tea time, Chanyeol then propped himself on the big patio couch outside the house where slim wood pillars stood a feet between each other to form an enclosed area, leaving space for a small gate leading to the garden. Same goes for the roofing of the p

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter