002 || The Vampire

The Heroine

 

"Rinie, have you heard?"

 

"Don't pollute my ear." Irene insulted.

 

"You need to hear this." Wendy insisted as they walked out of campus together. "The rumors say, there's a vampire hunting for pretty girls in this town."

 

"If you're asking me to protect you, save your breath."

 

"Heck no! I will be the one protecting the pretty you!" Wendy side-hugged the taller girl.

 

"Ew?"

 

How many times did Irene need to reject her for her to get it? And was Wendy a masochist? Did she enjoy getting insulted by Irene? 

 

Irene was frustrated.

 

Was the girl dense or just plain dumb?

 

But the latter option didn't seem quite true since Wendy had aced all her subjects.

 

Wendy pulled away from the hug and grabbed onto the older's arm instead.

 

Irene didn't seem to mind the skinship. More like, didn't even cared.

 

She was more strung up upon the weird feeling that she was getting. It wasn't familiar.

 

No it's not love.

 

It felt like they were being watched. And the worst part was, the vampire that Wendy spoke about came into her mind.

 

Does it even exist? But why am I even feeling like this?

 

"Rinie? What's wrong?" Wendy was genuinely concerned for a second. "Are you scared after what I told you?"

 

"No way." The raven haired girl was glad that her voice did not shake or it would have given her out.

 

Footsteps were heard after Irene finished speaking, and she jumped a little.

 

"Who's that?" Irene spun around to see a flash of brown disappearing into the corner. 

 

A familiar shade of brown indeed.

 

"You were scared afterall." Wendy teased.

 

"Didn't you see that?" 

 

"See what?" Wendy smirked, seemingly to have known something but decided to keep it to herself. "See you jump over nothing?"

 

Irene eyed her suspisciously before continuing her way.

 

One step.

 

Two steps.

 

Three steps.

 

Four steps.

 

Five st-

 

Shuffling was heard again.

 

"W-Who dat who d-dat who dat!" Irene screamed and burried her face into Wendy's chest.

 

"Oh Rinie!" The blonde laughed. "I said I would protect you didn't I?"

 

"It's not a joke Wendy!" 

 

Irene still had her eyes closed, head still in Wendy's embrace.

 

"Okay, okay, just... Calm down alright?" Wendy patted the older girl's head.

 

Irene nodded slightly.

 

She swore she's going to regret deeply for allowing Wendy to see this vulnerable sight of hers. She was never going to let the older live.

 

"Seulgi! You can come out now. No use hiding!" Wendy shouted.

 

Boy, she had a loud and strong voice.

 

More shuffling was heard, and it got louder, indicating that it was nearer.

 

"Wendy! How did you know it was me?!"

 

A familiar voice.

 

Seulgi?

 

Irene shook even harder. But from anger, not fear. The raven haired fluttered her eyes open and faced the culprit.

 

"Seulgi."

 

Wendy saw the fire in the other's eyes and clasped her hands together to pray for the brunette. And her friends.

 

"Y-Yes Irene?" Seulgi replied as she hid behind Joy and Yeri, using them as a coverage.

 

"Wow unnie. Thanks." Yeri rolled her eyes.

 

"You better have a good reason for following me."

 

"Well, this dumb unnie just wanted to spy on your sweet escape."

 

"Shut your trap, Sootan!" 

 

Seulgi swore she made a mistake in getting them to tag along. She should have abandoned them and spied secretly.

 

"Now, can we go for chicken?" The tallest said restlessly.

 

Yeri didn't wait for a response as she just dragged Joy away. And Seulgi tried to be sneaky and follow them.

 

"Not so fast." Irene yanked Seulgi back by her wrist. "You owe me lunch for a week."

 

Seulgi was glad she was let off so simply. Usually she would have taken a few kicks and slaps here and there. Was it because Wendy was there?

 

"Trying to impress your girl?" Seulgi shouted before running away.

 

"Mature."

 

Wendy couldn't hold in her laughter and was just laughing the whole way. She had spotted Seulgi and the others tailing them since they left the school compund. Being the playful girl she was, she had wanted to scare the ever-cold Irene. And thus the rumor about the vampire.

 

But it was in fact a trending rumor.

 

It was just that Irene wasn't interested in gossips and thus, she never knew about it.

 

"Stupid." Irene slapped Wendy on her back.

 

Wendy just laughed. 

 

She absolutely loved the side of Irene that she just witness. It confirm her hypothesis of Irene. That the older was just a softie behind that tough facade.

 

The blonde made sure to cherish Irene's hug. To memorise the warmth. The register the shape of Irene's body (in a innocent way).

 

"What are you waiting for?" Irene shot.

 

It was only then did the other realised she was a few feets away from Irene.

 

"Why didn't you wait for me?"

 

"Time is key." Irene said as she placed the house key into her keyhole.

 

Click.

 

That familiar yet satisfying noise sounded and a small smile grew on the taller's lips.

 

This was where she was home, literally. Where she felt safe. Where she could be herself.

 

But not with Wendy around.

 

She didn't want Wendy to invade her haven. She didn't want to give her a chance to discover her real self. 

 

But for the sake of her studies, it wasn't an option.

 

[Flashback]

 

"Daddy!" Irene cried out.

 

"I-I'm s... Sorry Joohyun..." The man whispered. "I'm sorry I c-can never be there for y-you anymore..."

 

Hearing her father's words only made the young girl cry even harder.

 

"Promise me, p-promise mommy and m-me... You will g-grow into a fine and successful woman..." 

 

That was his last words.

 

His last breath.

 

Young Irene sobbed.

 

What had it mean to be successful? Smart? Rich?

 

At the age of 12, Irene was too young to understand the true meaning of success. It meant happiness. The greatess success one can ever get is happiness. As cliche as it is, 'One can never buy happiness'.

 

Irene had heard it many times, but never understood the underlying meaning.

 

[End of flashback]

 

"Irene? You okay?"

 

The raven haired had just stood still in front of the wooden door for a whole minute.

 

"Wait... Are you really scared of the vampire?"

 

"Nonsense." Irene pushed opened the heavy matter.

 

A loud creaking sound was heard.

 

This is really getting creepy...

 

"Wow, how old is your door even?" Wendy laughed.

 

Irene swears the other girl laugh at every single thing. She even bets that Wendy can laugh at nothing.

 

"Coffee or tea?" Irene kindly offered.

 

"Is there a choice of Irene?"

 

"Tap water it is." Irene scoffed and headed to the kitchen.

 

"If only you're the tap, Rinie!" Irene could see Wendy's smirk even in the kitchen, with her back turned.

 

This girl is way beyond unbelievable.

 

It's either Irene was speaking alien language, or Wendy was living in another dimension.

 

The younger girl could never understand what Irene meant.

 

Maybe she did. But she just found joy in making fun of Irene.

 

Irene poured two cups of orange juice and served one to Wendy.

 

"So, did you really not hear about the vampire?"

 

"What?"

 

Irene had to use ten years worth of her self-control to stop herself from pouring the juice on Wendy.

 

When was she going to stop talking about a stupid myth.

 

"Our classmates have been hospitalised one after another."

 

Irene huffed.

 

It was none of her business.

 

"And the cause was over-exhaustion. But really? So many students at the same time? Either the school is too damn stressful, or its an unbelievable coincidence. And besides, they found two tiny minute holes at their wrists." Wendy explained. "That's why it was rumored to be a vampire."

 

Should Irene be worried at this point in time?

 

All of this sounded like bull. But the hospitalisation of students was real. Even thought Irene liked to mind her own business, she had noted that there were missing students.

 

At that moment, Irene's door bell rang.

 

From the window, there appeared to be a tall silhouette. Hovering by the door.

 

Should Irene open it?

 

Should she pretend she's not home?

 

"Open it Rinie, I told you I would protect the pretty you."

 

Wendy totally spoiled Irene's mood.

 

Lazily, she strolled towards the door and looked through the peephole.

 

"No way." Irene muttered.

 


 

Sorry that it took so long for me to update this... Some might know that I was really struggling with this story haha. Even I don't know how it's all going to turn out. But don't worry, there would be a ending for sure. I'm not so mean to leave ya'll hanging like that. I just wanted to say that future updates might be real slow form now on. I'll try my best to update when I can of course! Please do continue loving this fic :)