004 || Peek-a-boo

The Heroine

 

"So... I heard that Wendy spent a night at your house." Seulgi nudged her friend. "I mean, spent a night under the covers with you."

 

"And?" 

 

"Well..." Seulgi dragged out. 

 

"Get to the point." Irene was frustrated.

 

"Any sparks?"

 

"What?" Irene snapped.

 

She never could predict what was in her bestie’s mind. What could ever possibly happen within one night?

 

Irene dared to say that she wouldn’t fall at first sight. Never. And thus, not could happen within that night.

 

All that they did was sleep. Really just sleeping.

 

An innocent sleepover.

 

"The only spark is the one I’m going to set on your ." The raven haired opened her locker and grabbed her books out.

 

"Hey!" 

 

Irene felt a hug from the back.

 

She was about to raise her leg and kick back but she recognised the familiar cinnamon smell.

 

The sweet aroma that she couldn’t get used to since yesterday.

 

"Wendy." Irene ducked down and moved to the side. "Keep your hands to yourself."

 

"So cold!" The blonde pretended to shiver. "I love it!"

 

"Tch." Irene turned and walked towards her class.

 

There was only psychology scheduled for Irene today, and it was a afternoon class. The moment she finished lesson, Irene can go back to her haven. 

 

Wendy took the same class. But she still had a spanish class after psychology.

 

And Irene was extremely glad the annoying girl would get off her case. Irene was glad that she wouldn’t have to face the girl for the rest of the day.

 

"Irene? The class started."

 

Wendy noticed that Irene was staring at the board but wasn’t writing down any notes. It was rare for the hardworking latter to not pay attention to the lecture.

 

"Hm?" Irene blinked a few times. "Of course it did."

 

Wendy snickered at the older’s pretense.

 

Irene opened up her notebook for psychology to find a piece of red paper sitting between the pages.

 

Good Night

 

A chill ran down the raven haired’s back.

 

Who could it be? Wendy? 

 

Was that girl really such a creep?

 

But who, other than Seulgi and maybe Wendy, knew she had sleepless nights?

 

It definitely wasn’t Seulgi.

 

"What’s that? A love letter?" Wendy frowned.

 

"It’s none of your business, creep." 

 

Irene crushed the piece of paper, and placed it on the other side of the table, making a mental note to throw it away.

 

Good night? What does it even mean? Was it in a literal sense? Oh wait, was that a death threat? Like good night to me as I would be in eternal sleep?

 

Irene thought back to the vampire rumors that Wendy always narrated to her.

 

As cold breeze blew at her neck, Irene got goosebumps.

 

Where did that sudden gust of cold come from?

 

Shaking, Irene turned and looked to her back.

 

There wasn't anyone. Not when she was sitting at the last row, by the wall.

 

She turned towards Wendy.

 

It wasn't her either. The was too focused on a rhythm game on her mobile device.

 

Irene side-tracked a little. How could she attain such good grades when she doesn't even listen in class?

 

Lost in thoughts, Irene hadn't realised the lesson was over until Wendy called her.

 

"Do you love being by my side so much that you don't want to go home?" The blonde smirked.

 

"Ew no. Never."

 

"Never say never, Rinie. You can’t predict the future." Wendy winked at Irene as the latter walked out.

 

As Irene turned to glare at Wendy, she bumped into a wall.

 

"Sorry! Are you alright?"

 

What? She didn’t bump into a wall, it was a student.

 

An awfully familiar one.

 

"Oh? Fancy meeting you here." Wendy sneered.

 

Wait. Since when was Wendy beside her?

 

"Yeah. Nice to meet you, I’m Heechul, a third year." He spread his arm, offerring a handshake.

 

"Well, we got to go now." Wendy said as she pulled Irene away from the part time delivery guy.

 

Without shaking his hand.

 

Irene was deeply confused. Wendy would normally be the first to make new friends. Why hadn’t she accept that handshake back then?

 

"Bye Irene! Take care." Wendy said as they reached the school gate.

 

Irene was starting to melt a little at the younger’s sweet gestures. And she was even worried Wendy would be late for class.

 

"Go now." Irene showed her a small smile, in gratitude.

 

"Bye Rinie!" 

 

Irene’s smile grew as she watched the blonde recede in the distance.

 

Once again, the creepy feeling was back. Like she was being watched.

 

There was another gust of cool breeze.

 

Again.

 

"Summer is starting yet, it’s still cold..." Irene muttered as she ignored the feeling and walked.

 

Heechul

 

The name popped in the raven haired’s mind.

 

Irene turned.

 

The street was deserted.

 

It was even creepier that there was no one. Irene would at least feel safer if there was one or two people around.

 

Irene turned back and quickened her footsteps. Unknowingly, faster and faster, turning into a sprint.

 

The girl pushed her key in and turned, slamming the door open.

 

Click

 

The lock was set in place.

 

Irene sighed in relief as she heard the sound.

 

Leaning against the door, she allowed her body to slide down the wooden door. Hands clutching each other, fingers interwined.

 

Crash!

 

"!" Irene stood up.

 

The loud noise came from the back.

 

"Who's there?" The raven haired yelled.

 

Walking to the back door leading to her backyard, Irene's hand wrapped around the broom in the kitchen. She swung it over her shoulders, ready to hit anything that was incoming.

 

Irene almost fainted.

 

There, in its glory, stood a squirrel

 

On top of Irene's purple lavenders, pot cracked into pieces on the floor.

 

Irene threw the broom onto the floor, scaring the squirrel away.

 

"What."

 

Irene was really exhausted. Her mind was all jumbled up. She wasn't able to focus on anything.

 

Locking the door, Irene made sure to check five times. Once she felt secure she went up to her room and retrieved her note book from yesterday.

 

She was frustrated that she missed the entire lesson today, because of a stupid feeling.

 

Pages turned and time flew. Before Irene knew, it was time for dinner. She dialed for Chinese before slipping into her bathtub.

 

Ah, how long has it been since she has spoilt herself like this. Nevertheless, it helped Irene cool her mind and relax her tensed body. 

 

Just nice, as she finished wrapping her hoodie around her body, the bell rang. 

 

Nice! I was getting hungry.

 

Irene opened the door and paid the guy.

 

"Hmm... Smells great." Saliva was forming in Irene's mouth as she stirred the noodles with her chopsticks.

 

Boom!

 

Thunder struck.

 

"Not again."

 

Rain poured silencing the baby cries that came from the opposite house. 

 

Pit-a-pat. Pit-a-pat.

 

"Irene."

 

" what?" Irene swung her head around at the whisper.

 

There wasn't a single soul.

 

"Peek-a-boo." 

 

Irene met with a face as she turned back.

 

Blood red eyes. A deadly smirk. Two ing long fangs.

 

A vampire.

 

Tell me I'm dreaming...

 

It was the last thing on Irene's mind before she fainted.

 


 

BOO! Did you get scared? loll things are getting more exciting!! Comment your thoughts :)