Epilogue || The Aftermath

The Heroine

 

"Miss Joohyun? Miss Bae Joohyun?"

 

Irene gently fluttered her eyes open.

 

"There's a visitor." The nurse said.

 

"W-Who...?" Irene asked as she received the cup of water from the other.

 

"Kang-"

 

"No." Irene cut her off.

 

It's been days since Irene woke up from her unconscious state.

 

And it's been a month since that incident.

 

But Irene hasn't met the love of her life.

 

Irene hasn't met Wendy.

 

She hasn't recovered fully and her left leg was temporarily paralysed, due to the rod damaging one of her important nerve connected to her leg. Thus she wasn't able to go out, and could only wait for visitors.

 

"I will only allow Wendy in." Irene refused stubbornly.

 

"Who is this Wendy you speak of? Miss Seungwan?"

 

"Yes! Do you know where she is?" Irene bolted upright, sitting in an extremely straight manner.

 

"I'm not sure, but I think your friends could update you on that if you allow them in..." The nurse smiled nervously.

 

Irene squinted her eyes at the girl.

 

Kim Saeron

 

Her nametag read.

 

"..." Irene tapped her index finger on her chin. "Fine."

 

The smaller girl made her way to the sliding door and opened it, revealing a few familiar faces.

 

"Please do keep your voice level down." The nurse deadpanned before standing to the side to allow them in.

 

"Yes, thank you." Seulgi bowed a little before walking in.

 

Seulgi. Joy. Yeri. Yoohyeon. Dami. Where's Wendy?

 

"Ire-"

 

"Where's Wendy?!" Irene grabbed her bestfriend by her shoulders.

 

Seulgi looked to the side.

 

The rest were looking around the room nervously. Irene also noted that Yeri and Saeron were looking at each other, at a lost.

 

"Did... something happen to her?" Irene said hesitantly. "S-She's not... d-dead right?!"

 

"No! Of course not..." Seulgi corrected. "Well, at least not physically..."

 

Not physically...? Is she... in a coma? She can't be brain dead?!

 

"E-Explain yourself, Kang Seulgi. W-What do you mean b-by that?" Irene glared into Seulgi's round trembling orbs.

 

 

 

 

 

"Hey. How are you doing?"

 

Wendy fluttered her eyes gently, adapting to the bright light.

 

"Feeling so much better than when I first awoke." Wendy rubbed her eyes and smiled. "What on earth actually happened to me...?"

 

The man in white coat smiled gently.

 

Eric Nam.

 

His name tag read.

 

"Wendy, relax." He passed her a cup of water. "You... You just got into a freak accident. You aren't injured, rest to be assured."

 

Wendy took a sip and sighed in relief.

 

"But..." Eric hestitated and looked away. "I'm sorry to say that your father did not manage to survive... We tried our best, but-"

 

Wendy raised her hand to stop him.

 

"It's fine." She muttered. "You didn't cause the accident. And besides, people are meant to pass on as they age..."

 

The doctor gulped hard before silently taking his leave, respecting his patient.

 

"Press that button if you need anything. Good news, you will be discharged tomorrow."