012 || Irene Bae

The Heroine

 

With shaking hands, Irene flipped the dusty book open. The pages were already yellow, yet they were lucky that the ink wasn't smudged.

 

Joohyun spoke her first words today. I think she said 'wan', or was it 'want'? I couldn't really tell.

 

"That's cute!" Wendy hummed.

 

Irene flipped through a few more pages before confirming that there wasn't any information on vampires. She threw the book on the table in frustration.

 

A piece of parchment dropped out, and landed softly on the floor.

 

"What’s that?" Wendy picked it up.

 

Irene turned to the other girl curiously.

 

"Ritual for awakening." Wendy read. "A drop of her blood, mixed with the blood of an awakened parent. Then add one spoonful of ethanol. Drink the concoction."

 

"But... I’ve never done any of that." Irene was puzzled.

 

"Look! This is written at the bottom, 'She might also be awakened by experiencing many traumatizing incidents'." Wendy pointed out. "But strangely, why does it only state 'she'? Are Dreamcatchers only female?"

 

"Who knows?" Irene chuckled and latched herself on Wendy. "Anything else?"

 

"Hmm..." Wendy flipped the parchment over. "Nope."

 

"Let’s join the rest in the artic. Maybe they found something!"

 

Irene gave Wendy a kiss on her cheeks before dragging her up the stairs.

 

"Guys! We’ve found this!" Wendy waved the parchment in front of them before reciting it again.

 

"Any clues?" Irene asked.

 

The Joy and Yeri shooked their heads but smirked as they saw Wendy and Irene’s interlocked hands.

 

"I’ve found this photobook." Seulgi called out.

 

Wendy ran over and saw a detailed and unique design of a dreamcatcher carved on its thick cover.

 

Carefully, Wendy flipped it open. The first pages consisted of a family tree. At the bottom, written in ink were a few names Wendy found familiar.

 

"Yoohyeon, Dami... Oh Irene! There’s your name on this!" Wendy clapsed her hands together excitedly.

 

Irene leaned over the shorter’s shoulders to get a look at what she said.

 

"That’s...strange." The Dreamcatcher tapped her chin thoughtfully. "I’ve never wrote my name one this. And besides... My parents’ name aren’t here. The only name I know is this."

 

Irene pointed at the characters right above her name.

 

"My grandmother’s name..." 

 

"Your dad’s mother?" Wendy gained a nod from Irene. "Is your dad the only child?"

 

Irene went silent for a moment before nodding again, slowly.

 

"Why?"

 

"That explains it. Firstly, Dreamcatcher consists of only females. Thus, your dad’s name isn’t here, while yours is. Your mom wasn’t from the line of vampires, thus hers isn’t here either." Wendy explained to the other four.

 

"Then... Who are those that you’ve mentioned?" Yeri asked.

 

"Yoohyeon and Dami...? Well, I found their names familiar, and I just recalled that they’re my classmates. I think they are part of the younger generation of Dreamcatcher."

 

"Maybe its an ancient book that contains magical powers? A name would appear when a Dreamcatcher is awakened?" Joy suggested.

 

"Maybe..." Wendy trailed off. “Let me give Yoohyeon a call now, maybe she could meet us."

 

Wendy switched her phone on and dialed Yoohyeon’s number. It took only a few beeps before the call got through.

 

"Hello? Is this Yoohyeon?" 

 

"Ah, I’m Wendy, from Spanish class, remember me?"

 

There was long pause before Wendy started speaking again.

 

"Ah no, I was just wondering if you and Dami could meet me and my friends now... We would like to discuss something." Wendy gave a little smile before she hung up. "Bye."

 

"What did she say?" Seulgi went closer to Wendy, making Irene glare at her.

 

"She said she would bring Dami to the café near our school in half an hour." 

 

Irene gave Wendy a pat on her head for her hardwork, before tapping her .

 

Wendy blushed as Joy and Yeri just snickered.

 

"Wait... Am I missing out on something...?" Seulgi looked at Joy then Yeri, then back at Wendy and Irene.

 

"Uh..." Wendy stuttered. "W-We are t-together."

 

"Oh my god?! Since when?" Joy feigned oblivion.

 

"Just." Irene blushed but still smiled brightly.

 

"Ew. Get your hormones in check, unnie." Yeri scowled at Irene.

 

Irene started kicking Yeri, but failed when Wendy kept restraining her.

 

"We should make a move soon." Seulgi mumbled, obviously still awkward from learning the new fact.

 

Never who she have imagined her bestfriend dating Wendy, some one that had a completely opposite personality.

 

But she knew that Wendy was the perfect fit for someone like Irene. Irene deserved Wendy and vice versa.

 

Once again, Seulgi took the driver’s seat and the couple took the back, leaving the younger ones fighting over who should ride shotgun.

 

"I’m older so let me ride at the front!" Joy argued.

 

"Well, I’m too young to be witnessing them doing the naughty!" Yeri spat back, earning a few ‘Hey!’s from Wendy and Irene.

 

Joy had nothing better to counter with so she just opened the front door and sat in, leaving Yeri with no choice but to squeeze with the new lovebirds.

 

"You unnies better not pollute my innocent eyes..." Yeri muttered under her breath.

 

"Yeah sure, so innocent." Irene scoffed and emphasized ‘so’.

 

Joy and Wendy laughed while Seulgi just focused on the road, ears blocking out whatever sounds that came her way.

 

It took them less than 20 minutes to reach the agreed destination. Wendy ordered coffee for all as they waited for her classmates.

 

"Anyways, I’m terribly sorry for dragging you guys into this." Wendy said to the humans as she placed the drinks down.

 

"It’s fine, we have been interested in supernatural before birth." Yeri said.

 

"And it’s an honor to be friends with vampires!" Joy added. "Imagine if we are werewolves that are not awakened yet..."

 

" that’s so cool!" Yeri squealed and clapped her hands with Joy’s.

 

"Wendy...?" 

 

Irene looked up at two unfamiliar girls.

 

One had long brown hair turned pink near its end and was super tall and pretty. The other had shoulder lengthed ash blonde hair (unlike Wendy’s) and looked chic, but she was latching on the taller’s arm.

 

"Oh hi! Let me introduce, this is Irene, Seulgi, Joy and Yeri." Wendy pointed to each of them while shifting Irene closer to her, making space for the new ones.

 

"Nice to meet you guys, I’m Yoohyeon. And this is my girlfriend, Dami." The taller one said.

 

Girl... Girlfriend?!

 

Wait, Irene shouldn’t even be surprised when she herself is dating Wendy. But it just caught her off guard as a same relationship wasn’t common. Let alone introducing yourselves as a couple during the first meeting.

 

"I’ve order coffee and a red velvet cake for you guys, I hope you don’t mind." Wendy smiled, and it melted Irene’s heart even when it was meant for Yoohyeon and Dami.

 

"Thanks." Dami said coolly and took a sip of her coffee.

 

"So, what did you want to discuss...?" Yoohyeon spoke with a bubbly tone, totally excited.

 

"Well..." Wendy fiddled with her fingers. "You... Both of you are vampires right? To be more accurate, Dreamcatcher?"

 

Dami stopped sipping her coffee. Yoohyeon dropped her smile and stared at Wendy.

 

"Ahaha... Relax, let me explain." The older blonde chuckled nervously before explaining.

 

"Ah Irene! Welcome!" Yoohyeon embraced the oldest in a warm embrace, oblivious to the stares she was receiving from Dami.

 

"Do you guys know anything else?" Seulgi asked.

 

"Well, I just know that we are supposed to keep our identity a secret. Daddy JiU and Mommy SuA said so." Yoohyeon answered innocently.

 

"For now, let’s test out Irene’s capabilities." Dami feed the last piece of cake to Yoohyeon before standing up. "Let’s go."

 


 

Uh sorry this chapter was boring... But I had to explain how it works or y'all be confused right? So do bear with me yea? I promised there will be a surprise in the next chapter ;) Do comment yeah?

 

Btw I saw that the votes for a sequel and a new fic are about the same, so I was considering doing both... What do you think?