007 || By Your Side

The Heroine

 

Irene hadn’t seen Heechul on campus for a week since the incident.

 

She was glad, but worried as she couldn’t predict when the next attack would be.

 

On one hand, she wished that he wouldn’t be targeting her still. But on the other, she had hoped that he was fixated on her so he wouldn’t find other victims.

 

The latter thought seemed true when there wasn’t any additional missing students.

 

Irene was relieved.

 

But there was just one problem.

 

Examination period starts tomorrow. And Irene had been worrying about the vampire attacks for the past few days, and had completely forgotten about it.

 

"Seungwan?" Irene called as she felt someone wrap their hand around her eyes.

 

It was that same familiar scent. 

 

The smell of cinnamon.

 

Irene wanted to smack herself for being so stupid. Why Seungwan even show up at her school?

 

"Who's that?"

 

Wait. Why does that sound so familiar?

 

Irene spun around and saw the shorter girl smiling widely at her.

 

"Rinie, I was wondering... If you wanted me to help you in your studies?" Wendy asked. "I've noticed that lately, you haven't been paying attention to any class. Are there any concerns? I could lend a listening ear, you know?"

 

"Ah it's not your business..." Irene muttered.

 

Wendy's golden brown orbs reflected a hint of hurt when she heard that.

 

Irene saw it, and realised that she had hurt the other.

 

She had hurt and innocent girl who just wanted to help her.

 

"Sorr-"

 

"So, do you want me to come over after school? I could tutor you on what you've missed out."

 

The blonde had her head turned to one side and evaded eye contact.

 

"Uh if it's not a hassle..." Irene softened her tone.

 

"See you later, Irene."

 

With that, the girl left.

 

"Uh, yea..." 

 

Irene knew she had messed up badly this time. The girl was just worried about her yet she was being so cold and rude towards the other.

 

How...was Irene going to apologise to Wendy?

 

Once again, Irene's mind was flooded with concerns. Lectures were all ignored as the raven haired wrecked her brains for a solution.

 

Ever since she met Wendy, everything has been going down hill for her.

 

It started from the stupid rumor that Wendy always joked about. And indeed and actual vampire actually paid her a visit.

 

Wait.

 

Could Seungwan be Wendy? And she approached me so that she could watch over me.

 

But Irene was confused at Wendy's physical capabilities. But the girl could have been hidding it to cease suspicion.

 

Irene wondered why Seungwan had even bothered saving her. She didn't even know the other, yet she was riskng her life on this act.

 

Just like how the thoughts ran in Irene's mind, time didn't stop for her and school was over.

 

Irene hated how her life was turned upside down. All she had wanted was to study and get good grades so she could fulfill her parents wishes.

 

"Irene! There you are, let's go!" Wendy came running and hooked her arm around the older's.

 

Wendy had stopped calling her 'Rinie', Irene noted. 

 

The older girl was really getting used to it and hearing 'Irene' instead of 'Rinie' is weird on her ears. She couldn't adapt to it well, a frown forming on her forehead.

 

Irene knew that eventhough Wendy had acted like herself, like the former hadn't broke her heart earlier that day, the blonde wasn't truely happy.

 

However, Irene was still greatly puzzled. 

 

Why did she care about the other? Why does her heart pick up speed whenever they are together? Since when did she had these feelings for the younger?

 

It was the same kind of feeling she had felt when she was around Seungwan.

 

Why was Irene falling for two different people? Or were they even different to even begin with?

 

"Irene?" Wendy tapped her shoulder. "We're here."

 

Irene snapped out of her thoughts and looked around her surroundings.

 

Where did Wendy even bring me?

 

"It's my apartment." Wendy smiled, but it didn't reach her eyes. "You seemed uncomfortable the other time I was over."

 

"Ahh..." Irene could only sigh as they entered the spacious apartment.

 

"Let me pour you a drink."

 

Irene watched as Wendy's back disappeared into the kitchen. Soon, she came back with the beverages in her hands, and Irene was still staring.

 

Irene coughed as she saw Wendy's smirk.

 

"Wenwen? Uh, I wanted to apologise for my rude behavior this morning." The raven haired trailed off.

 

Is that blood I smell?

 

Irene's stomach unknowingly grumbled at the thought.

 

What? Did I become a vampire too?

 

"Wenwen... Why do I smell blood...?" Irene eyed the younger.

 

"Eh?" For a second, there was a look of panic on Wendy's face. "I-I... I'm on my... period."

 

"Oh. Oh, I'm sorry." Irene blushed a little and looked away.

 

"But as I was saying, I'm really sorry for treating you like that. You didn't mean harm, and I just... I hurted you!" Irene started choking up. "It's just that my mind is filled with a lot of concerns for the past few days and I just snapped."

 

"There, there. It's fine Rinie..." Wendy embraced the older and patted her back a few times. "I'm sorry for pushing you to your limits."

 

"I-It's not your f-fault!" Irene said between cries. "I'm just e-extremely stressed out. I'm a-afraid... Afraid t-that I won't be a-able to meet my p-parents' expectations. My parents' w-wishes before they p-passed on..."

 

"Rinie... It's fine, you don't have to tell me."

 

"N-No... Mom d-died after giving birth t-to me, and d-dad got i-into an accident w-when I was 12... And his l-last words was for m-me to be a successful w-woman. It was h-his and mom's w-wish for me. That's why I-I need to work h-hard on my studies so I c-can get a job e-easily and live well in the f-future...

 

"But troubles k-kept appearing for m-me when you showed up. That's w-why I snapped at y-you... But I k-knew that it wasn't your fault... So, I-I'm really s-sorry, Wenwen. W-Will you forgive me?"

 

"Of course I would, silly you!" Wendy smiled at the puffy eyed girl, before pulling her in for another hug.

 

"A-And over the years, I-I’ve built a wall Around m-myself... I don’t w-want to get anyone close because when t-they leave, it’s going to h-hurt... I’m sorry f-for not giving y-you a chance W-Wenwen."

 

"Shh... I will always be by your side. Remember that."

 


 

How was it? One more coming!