Back Home

Last Hunter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Disliking the suffocating nature of indoors as usual, he had left the windows of the master bedroom half open, causing the chilly winds blowing a few hours prior to the sunrise to creep into the room. Feeling the ease and content he felt after returning to his own mansion, he glanced at the still-deep-blue skies outside, that was visible over the mansion wall.

“What colour do you want to wear for the ceremony?”

He murmured, further burying his nose into the locks of hair those were messily spread over his bicep and his pillow, still emitting the alluring scent of rose that was applied in the evening. The girl was finally lying cosily under the luscious silk blankets, after weeks of sleeping in the rough cotton bed linen of the humble rural household, now trapped in his larger frame, and spooned in his embrace.

“I’ll call in a seamstress and some silk merchants in the morning if you don’t feel like going out.”

Chanyeol whispered again, as his hand placed over her stomach started to draw random patterns on her bare skin with its fingertips.

“Seora? Are you asleep?”

Feeling ticklish under his touch, the girl who had fallen asleep stirred, and turned around in his embrace. Taking his hand off her body, he went still for a moment and the still sleeping girl snuggled closer to his warmth.

As her face pressed on to his bare chest, Chanyeol couldn’t help the low chuckle that left his lips. “Yah,” he returned his hand back to where it belonged, loosely dropping it over her waist.

“We barely got any time to talk with each other today, and you’re going to sleep just like that?”

Obviously, there was no answer to his question, except for the low and rhythmic breathing he felt on his chest.

Giving up on initiating a really-late-night conversation, he too closed his eyes, after placing a gentle kiss on her head.

 

* * * * * * * *

~Earlier That Day~

After bidding teary farewells and promises to meet again very soon, Seora got into the carriage sent by the King as Chanyeol had sent him a message saying they were planning to return to the capital within two days. Yingyun was already seated inside, while Sehun also had taken his horse after thanking the elderly couple and Kyungsoo for all their help. Chanyeol also walked to his horse, after giving the physician endless thanks for saving his life, and promising to return the favour in very near future. Jongin and Haesol too joined the little troop, taking the horse given to them and Jongin helped the girl to mount onto the saddle and sit before him.

 

“Please no... Baekhyun you cannot leave like this...”

Not letting the captain step out of his room, Jungsoo was clinging onto his arm, pleading him not to leave.

“Jungsoo... you have to be understanding. We’re planning to greet His Majesty and it should be done as the whole team that left the capital because he’s equally concerned about all of us!” Baekhyun placed his hand over hers that was clinging onto him. The girl shook her head frantically. “You still have to get treated for your leg...”

“I promise I will consult the best physician in the capital and get it treated. I won’t neglect it like last time.”

“But Baekhyun–” her words trailed off when he grabbed her hand away from her grip, ruffled her hair with a gentle smile and walked towards the open door.

“You’ll forget me once you step in the city!”

 

Finally the actual fear Jungsoo had about him leaving the country side was revealed, and the girl bit her lip, staring at his walking away figure with tears welling up in her eyes.

He stopped, and turned around to face her, the usual longing his eyes had to them whenever she looked at her, returning to his gaze.

And he strode back to her, only to pull the girl closer and place a kiss on her forehead which lasted for more than a few seconds.

“I know I’ve not been a trustworthy man until now Jungsoo... but trust me, it’s not the same with you at all. I’m going to return for you as soon as we settle the problems. That’s a promise.”

Leaving the girl to sob in silence, he walked out of the room, and met her brother right outside the door. “I’ll get going then Kyungsoo.” Baekhyun smile with a curt nod, and walked past the young physician.

 

“First get your wound treated properly.”

His words made Baekhyun whirl around, wondering whether the young arrogant man actually sounded sincere right now. And Kyungsoo raised a hesitant hand, awkwardly pointing towards the room which Baekhyun had stepped out from.

“And Jungsoo... she doesn’t want you to leave.”

 

An actual smile spread widely across the young captain’s face, comprehending the fact that he just got the consent of the older brother of the girl he loved. He patted Kyungsoo’s arm, giving it a friendly squeeze.

“Thank you brother. But I’m not leaving for good... I’ll be back soon. This is just on work matters.”

 

“Yeobo tell him not to leave... that child needs to be taken care of! If he leave now, he’ll be left alone all by himself and that’s not a good thing!”

Chanyeol heard kyungsoo’s mother plead her husband in a low voice, as Baekhyun made his way to the only hprse left unoccupied by now.

“Just think about it yeobo... he’s around our kyungsoo’s age... and see... he’s still limping!”

 

“Baekhyun-ah you don’t have to come with us.”

 

Baekhyun came to an abrupt halt in the middle of the front yard, confusedly eyeing his friend. Chanyeol looked at the physician, and continued to reason. “Staying here will be the best for him, isnt it Physician Do?”

The physican nodded in agreement, a fatherly smile gracing his aged face.

“Just return when you’re fully recovered you punk! We’ll update you on everything. No worries.”

Chanyeol flashed his friend a knowing smile, before taking the reins to his hands.

 

* * * * * * * *

Sehun felt the slender fingers entwined around his hand tighten, as he approached his father’s mansion. He stopped on his track to look at the girl, giving her a reassuring smile.

“Everything’s going to be fine. Let’s go in.”

As soon as they entered the capital, Sehun had excused himself with Ying and taken her to a dress-maker, and had purchased a ready-made Chinese dress to polish her charming and graceful looks. And the girl returned to him in a yellow Chinese dress, and adorned in yellow crystal and gold hair ornaments to match, looking rich and elegant as she used to live, before she was ordered to take the role of a spy.

 

“Oh Sehun are you in your right mind?” the elderly nobleman thundered, slamming his fist on the mother-of-pearl study table and glaring at the young couple standing in front of him. The girl flinched, ducking her head down and taking a step backward, half hiding behind Sehun. The said young warrior clutched her hand, gesturing her to stay still.

The nobleman turned to his wife who was sitting beside him. “Has your son gone insane? It’s been less than a week since we received the message that the Chinese slave girl who showed up at our house was actually a spy, and now is this fool is bringing the same girl to introduce to us as the woman he’s expecting to marry?”

“Abhuji!”

“Sehun-ah... this is wrong!” his mom started speaking, in a much more calm tone. “We heard everything. We know that she changed her mind and came to help you and Chanyeol’s wife as well–”

“Then what’s the problem omma?”

Sehun asked back, grabbing the girl’s hand firmer.

“You clearly have told me that I have my freedom to choose the person I marry.”

“But it doesn’t mean you can marry a someone related to that barbarian Shao–”

“She’s with my child abhuji.”

 

A brief silence engulfed the room, after Sehun cut off his father’s words with the sudden declaration. His mother clapped a hand to , and it didn’t take long for the older nobleman’s eyes to start fuming in enraged shock. “How dare you spew such nonsense in front of your parents Oh Sehun? Is this how we raised you?”

“I said she’s carrying my child. And your grandchild. Abhuji if you cannot accept that, I have no choice but to move out with her.”

Yingyun was still gapping at Sehun in disbelief, when his father slammed his fist on the table again, making her snap out of the shock and turn to him. “OH SEHUN!”

Sehun gave his parents a curt bow, and left the room, dragging the still shocked girl along with him.

 

“What was that my lord?”

The girl broke herself free from the painfully tight hold as soon as they exited the Oh’s premises. “Why did you come up with such a blatant lie in front of your parents?”

“Because I knew they weren’t going to give us their blessing.” Sehun grumbled. “I was prepared earlier, knowing that.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter