Byun Baekhyun

Last Hunter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Baekhyun stepped out of the brothel and blinked at the morning sunlight that hit his eyes directly. Letting out a groan out of the uneasiness last night’s hangover was giving him, he straightened his belt and brushed his mauve robes, and took a step towards the already crowed street.

“Baekhyunie hyung!”

Baekhyun turned around, to see his younger pal running towards him, dressed in their uniform, sporting his military looks as usual.

“Ah... Captain Oh! What brings you here at this hour?” he grinned at the youngster, as he came to a stop in front of him. “How did you know I was here?”

“Aish hyung! How much did you drink last night? Ah chincha!” Sehun exclaimed in an absolutely disgusting tone, as the strong reek of alcohol that came from the older hit his nose. “You smell like... geez I don’t know how a woman even approaches you when you’re like that!”

“That’s why I choose gisaengs...” Baekhyun smirked carelessly. “Isn’t it better than bringing various women to our mansion like my father does? I’m not hurting anyone like my father’s doing to my mom... and I’m just having fun with what I earn.”

Sehun just sighed in reply. “I’m not gonna argue with you hyung.” he shook his head, and decided to change the topic into the matter he was here about. “I came to get you because we have an important thing to discuss quickly.” He said. “Come on, straight o the palace!” he grabbed the older one’s arm. Baekhyun didn’t budge, but started at him. “Today? It’s my day off man! What’s so urgent?”

Sehun looked at him and Baekhyun saw the youngster’s jaws harden. “Jung Taekwoon is in the capital since a few months. And our sources say his spy is in the palace.”

Baekhyun stared at the younger one for a second, and curtly nodded. “Let’s go.”

 

* * * * * * * *

 

“What’s this Ying?”

Ying was startled by the voice she heard above her head, and dropped the tulips she was arranging in the vase. She whirled her head around to look up at the man towering over her from behind.

“For how long are you going to avoid me?”

Ying quickly stood up facing him. But without answering, she remained silent staring at her feet, making him angrier.

“It’s been nearly a whole week Ying! I first thought you were feeling uncomfortable about that situation and avoiding me, but this now looks like that you hate to see me!” Sehun lowered at her, his breathing becoming unstable and shallow as he talked. “Just tell me directly if my attention makes you uneasy. I’m not a person who’ll become a nuisance to anyone just because I like them.” He added sulkily.

Ying bit her lower lip and looked up at him. “Remember my lord? I’m a slave girl here. While you’re my master! Does anything between us make any sense?”

Sehun sighed and started rubbing his temples. “What rubbish is this seriously? I choose whom I like! And it doesn’t depend on social status, because this is my life!” he impatiently turned to look at the entrance of the room, and turned back to take another step closer. “Forget those fake excuses now and tell me, am I making you feel uncomfortable? Just tell me if so. I’ll simply stay away from you!”

Ying stayed silent, not knowing what to give as a reply, or not knowing whom to choose between her uncle and Sehun. Her heart was in a battle for the past week, fighting over the feelings she was developing for this alluring man, and the duties which she had set her mind on since years. She wanted to choose her uncle, and serve him as she was told. Also she had no choice in this since she knew Shao Xuan and Jung Taekwoon had her life in their hands. “You are standing on the tulips my lord.” She mumbled.

Sehun looked down to see one of his boots crumpling a several white and yellow tulips underneath. Clenching his jaws, he took a step back, and strode out of the room without letting out another word.

 

* * * * * * * *

 

Baekhyun walked into his father’s mansion in silence. Not caring about the maids who stopped on their way to bow down to him, and not sparing a single look at the civil servants who were walking out of his father’s office room, he silently walked into the huge house. He didn’t stop at the entrance to his room, didn’t bother greeting his father, and just walked into a room at the far corner of the passage he was walking along.

 

“Omma,”

 

The middle aged lady, who was sitting by the window of the room embroidering a bright red cloth in her hand, looked up at him. “Oh, Baekhyun-ah,” Her face lit up in such a bright smile, which made her look years younger than she appeared to be. “I thought you will be working late today too.” She placed her embroidery aside and fully turned towards her son who was standing by the door. “It was just a discussion about newly received information omma, we just arranged some preparations and I’m free for the day.” He said as he walked to her and knelt down beside her chair. “What’s this for?” he asked looking at the embroidery.

The lady smiled brightly at him again. “It’s a head band for you.” she said. “This will go well with your black practice attire. You can wear it from tomorrow on.”

Baekhyun brought up his hand to caress her cheek softly. “Did you have lunch omma?” he asked. His mother shook her head. “I didn’t have any appetite so...”

“Shall we eat then? I’m starving.”

The lady smiled at her son lovingly and nodded. She knew he was not saying that because he really wanted to eat, but only because he didn’t want her to starve. “Let’s go then.” She stood up and looked at him. The young man quickly jumped to his feet and followed his mother out of the room.

They couldn’t walk further before they heard a loud laughter from the other end of the passage. Both the mother and son turned to look that way, just to see a sight that was not at all foreign, but disgustingly familiar.

His father was escorting a young woman dressed in a flashy orange hanbok with an excessive hairstyle and heavy makeup. “Why don’t we head outside my lord?” the young woman cooed in the older nobleman’s ear, clinging onto his arm. He just chuckled and shook his head and flung his arm around her. “Let’s just turn in for today.” With that he disappeared into the master bedroom with that woman.

 

With a wave of anger rushing over him, Baekhyun felt himself trembling with rage. This was something he and his mother were witnessing all these years with their father, the ‘Lord Byun’ who appeared all noble to the outer world. Yet Baekhyun hated it more and more every single day, and despised his father more than anyone in the world because of all the tears he had given to his mother. He saw how she cried day and night for years, and then eventually settled down to endure everything, without shedding tears.

He bit his inner cheek so hard that it instantly started bleeding. “Omma, let’s go.” He put his arm around his mother and escorted her towards the dining room, remaining silence because he never knew what to say in order to console his mother.

You’re just like y

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter