The Final Chase

Last Hunter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You can’t exit through the back. Be patient Chanyeol, help is on the way.”

“I just asked what you are doing here!”

Chanyeol almost raised his voice to be heard beyond the storage tent without realizing. “What were you thinking while entering such a place all by yourself Shin Seora?”

Seora caught his hand, squeezing it in her own. “You didn’t know what was going on here Chanyeol? Did you? I should’ve gone to the fort and told Baekhyun but it takes longer than coming here Chanyeol! Why else would I be coming here when your men could help you more easily? Because I couldn’t waste a single minute when you’re in danger!”

Chanyeol stared at his wife, while his chest heaved up and down in anxiety. The girl stared back at him, waiting for him to calm down. “Just wait a few minutes. The person who helped me get here, he was going to drop me by that inn and stay there keeping an eye on Shao Xuan–”

“What inn? Do you know where he is?” Chanyeol asked, cutting Seora’s words in middle. And Seora nodded. “He was there in that inn. And that merchant who helped me said his friends will be arriving soon. First he thought of just letting me in, but then he said they’ll be figuring out a way to get us out of here as well. He was right outside the side entrance when I sneaked in.” she explained.

“What merchants? Who are you talking about–”

An ear-splitting bang was heard from the left side of the camp, shocking them both all of a sudden. And right outside their tent, Jung Taekwoon’s voice was heard bellowing to his men. “The left entrance!”

And following his yell, the running of the Chinese men was heard, all of them running towards where the explosion was heard.

“Gun powder.” Chanyeol whispered. “They must have had them in store.”

Seora nodded. “It must be them. Maybe they’re trying to distract the guards...”

“Quick! Come on,” Chanyeol took her hand in a tight grip, and peered out of the tent. “We’ll take the right exit.”

And he ran out, dragging the girl in the darkness, towards an area where there were a few to almost none lanterns lighting the camp. Soon they saw the shadowy exit covered in a stack of hey bundles, which Chanyeol hurriedly threw aside and dragged the girl out with him. As soon as they stepped out of the camp, Seora saw a familiar face standing in the edge of the woods a few yards away, holding a lantern in his hand.

“Yesung-ssi!”

“Quick! This way!” he signalled, running into a thicket of bushes buried in the darkness.

“By any chance, did anyone shoot the gun powder stores with fire arrows?” Chanyeol asked Yesung whom he had just met, while running along the woods with him and Seora. Seeing that Yesung was dressed as an absolute commoner, he couldn’t believe how they had knowledge about gun powder when the substance had just been introduced to Joseon a few years ago.

“Yes General,” Yesung answered, busy scanning the area for his two pals. “It’s not my idea though... I didn’t know they’d be having explosives...”

And the couple followed him, soon to be united with Yesung’s two friends whom were running towards them. Both the men came to a stop, meeting the escaped couple with their friend. Chanyeol came to an abrupt stop, recognizing one of the two men.

“Lieutenant Lee!”

“Greeting captain!” Donghae grinned, bowing in front of the General. “It’s been a while hasn’t it?”

Seora gapped at Donghae and turned to her husband. “You two know each other?”

Chanyeol nodded with a slight smile. “I should’ve known when you mentioned merchants. This is Lieutenant Lee Donghae from the Her Highness’s security brigade. He retired a few years ago saying trading is his thing, and not being a soldier.”

“And yes, I’m doing more than well in the fishing trade...Thanks to Heechul here.” Donghae introduced his companion, whom bowed in greeting to Chanyeol. “Yesung said they spotted that black merchant in that inn, General, so what are you going to do now? He must have crossed the border by now.”

“I’m going after him.” Chanyeol sighed. “And I’m taking her with me. They’re heading to the capital so I can’t trust anyone with her security right now. I can’t send her back to the capital.” He pulled the girl closer, sending an arm around her shoulders.

“Capital?” Seora asked in shock, turning to him again. “Who told you so Chanyeol? And why the capital?”

“Probably to attack the merchant town before retreating to China. And they’ll be raiding the fort as well, to keep my brigade occupied while they head to the merchant town.”

“What can we do General?” Yesung asked, stepping forward. “We have horses, If you want to send a message, I can do that.”

“Then hyung, please take this and head to the fortress.” Chanyeol reached for his robe pocket and pulled out a wooden tag with a red tussle attached and his name engraved in black letters on it. “Go to the fortress and hand this over to Captain Byun, and tell him to summon Prince Yixing’s troops to the fortress and return to the capital. Tell them that the merchant town must be guarded.”

“On it!” Yesung gave him a slight salute and jogged his way in the direction of the inn, where they’ve kept their horses. Chanyeol turned back to Heechul. “Can I get a horse hyung? I need to follow Shao Xuan right now.”

Heechul nodded in agreement at once. “Sure, General, and Donghae knows shortcuts to the border. He’ll take you there.”

* * * * * * * *

Showing the identity tag of Chanyeol, Yesung managed to enter the fortress easily. A junior soldier took him inside, to the strategy planning room where both Baekhyun and Sehun were waiting for their General’s return or at least a message from him. Seeing an unfamiliar face enter the room, both of them stood up from the table. Yesung held up the wooden tag with the General’s name on it, and started blurting out the message in such a hurry that he didn’t even remember to introduce himself.

 

Waiting for anything to happen since a few hours, Jungsoo suddenly found Baekhyun darting into the small infirmary in the fort. “Jungsoo-yah, you have to go home now.” He came rushing to the girl, and held her by the shoulders. “An emergency situation has come up and we’ve been commanded to return t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter