Letters of Shao Xuan

Last Hunter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Hyung,” Sehun whispered to Baekhyun. “Did I just witness the most horrific encounter of my whole twenty four years of existence?”

Baekhyun looked at Sehun. “Let me tell you one thing Sehun. I will not have that woman, even if she is the last woman left on earth.”

 

The provincial head grinned proudly as his daughter approached the general. “This is my one and only daughter, Yang Soha.”

The young lady straightened up, giving Chanyeol her best made-up fake smile. It remained on her lips, and never travelled up to her eyes.

Chanyeol didn’t even care about smiling. His polite behaviour was long gone since the provincial head had started the marriage talk. He nodded curtly at the girl, and turned to look at Baekhyun. “Send two of our boys to check the situation in the villages. And get the others ready to leave as soon as the darkness falls. We’ll guard the village tonight and see what happens.” He said. Baekhyun stood up from his seat, closely followed by Sehun, and the two bowed to the general together, and left the room.

As soon as they left the room, Chanyeol got to his feet as well.

“Let’s end our discussion here. I have more important matters to take care of.” He bowed slightly to the officer who stood up quickly, and walked past his daughter, without even sparing a glance at her. He walked straight out of the room, and the girl stomped her foot on the floor angrily. “Patience, Soha! He’s the King’s brother-in-law! You can live like a queen if you seduce him. So work harder and make it happen!” the provincial head hissed at his daughter, and the girl scowled back.

 

* * * * * * * *

 

Chanyeol lied on his bed, in the room that was prepared for him in the fortress. Staring at the wooden ceiling, he tried to collect his thoughts.

He knew very well that what people were after. The people who wanted to get their daughters or sisters to get married to him, all of them were greedy for his relationship with the king and his wealth. And then he remembered what kind of a person Lord Kim Minseok was, never the person to be greedy for power, position or wealth. So he was certain, that Lord Minseok was not trying to marry off his sister-in-law to him, based on such intentions.

And he knew what his sister wanted. He understood her worried about him, how she was worried that he might live his whole life alone.

Deep inside, Chanyeol feared the same thing.

To be honest, he hated the loneliness that was left with him ever since Hyeyeong died. He wanted to be happy again, to live life smiling as he used to do years ago.

But he didn’t want to let Hyeyeong go. She was the only thing he had in mind, the only one he loved. It was not easy for him to let go of that memory.

 

Chanyeol didn’t know when he drifted off to sleep, but a voice heard from above his face, made him wake up.

“My Lord, it’s time for lunch.”

Chanyeol opened his eyes at once, to see whom that unfamiliar voice belong to. And to his horror, the provincial head’s daughter’s face was hovering above him. She flashed him her fake smile, pretending to look so soft and innocent, which she was nothing even near.

“Oh.”

Chanyeol quickly sat up, to see that she had been sitting at the edge of his bed. “What are you doing here...Lady Yang?”

She fluttered her eyelids slowly, and placed a hand on his hand. “I prepared lunch for you My Lord, let’s have it before leaving for the battle field.” She whispered in a husky voice.

 

Chanyeol sighed. He had witnessed this kind of incident before, the time Baekhyun dragged him into a geisha house in Japan. She was just like those women, covered in too white makeup, and pretending to be goddesses on earth.

“I’m sorry but I don’t have time for meals.” Chanyeol got up from the bed quickly. “You must be mistaken. We’re not here for a vacation to enjoy our time leisurely.” He stated, and walked out of the room straight after that. The girl glared at the tall figure that was walking away, and grabbed the pillow on his bed and threw it to the floor in fury.

 

 

 

“General, our boys came from the village.” The guard at the door said, as Chanyeol went to the strategy planning room. He nodded at the guard, and entered the room, to find his two friends with the two soldiers who were appointed to a background check on the village.

“Found anything special?” Chanyeol asked the two soldiers.

“Nothing unusual General.” One of them replied with a bow. “The rebellions attack all the villages nearby at night, and take each and everything that can be sold.” He explained. “Everything, including women.”

Baekhyun gaped at him. “So this is not just a riot? Not something people do because of unbearable poverty? That’s what I thought.”

Chanyeol nodded slowly. “I knew there was something more than a mere riot, when his majesty sent me here. He should have sent another battalion but he sent us because the problem is bigger.” He looked at Baekhyun and Sehun.

“So his majesty decided to send his best hunter.” Sehun smirked. “So hyung, you have any idea about this?” he asked the general.

Chanyeol shook his head. “Not sure if it’s a local gang that used to be in this area since the late King’s reign, or someone else. Did you hear anything about their leader?” he asked the soldiers.

“The villagers call him ‘The Chinese Merchant’.” The soldier replied. “We cannot be certain that he is a Chinese, but that’s what people call him.”

“Baekhyun, get ready for an ambush. And Sehun, take ten men and be ready to follow the leader of the gang if they try to flee.” The general started giving them orders and planning the ambush.

 

* * * * * * * *

 

It was past midnight, and the village nearby the fortress was in complete chaos. The gang of about fifty men on horses, had barged in, and was setting the houses on fire, and breaking into the houses and stores, taking everything out, that was valuable. The villagers were frantically running everywhere for their lives, and trying to protect the young girls that the barbarians were trying to drag away.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter