About Him, And Her.

Last Hunter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“AAAARGH!!!”

Baekhyun’s yell was followed by the loud clink of two swords clashing together, and before he could comprehend how it happened, he was on the sandy ground of the fighting arena and his sword which had flown away from his hand, landed beside him. His opponent, who was chuckling by now, knelt on one knee in front of him, placing one elbow on his other knee.

“I told you that those tactics won’t work on me, didn’t I?” he said with a mocking smirk. “Try those on Sehun. He’ll probably end up in the royal hospital.”

Oh Sehun, the third warrior who was watching this fight from a distance, shouted at the winner. “Yah Chanyeol hyung! Just because I’m the youngest here, it doesn’t mean that I’m the weakest! I’m way better than Baekhyun hyung!”

Chanyeol, the winner of the fight as always, chuckled again and stood up, and gave his friend a hand to get on his feet. Baekhyun got up with his help and started dusting off his practice suit.

 

“How about a drink tonight? With all those Chinese envoy problems, we couldn’t get a free time for ourselves since about a month.” Baekhyun suggested. Sehun nodded happily, but Chanyeol shook his head. “I have to go home early today. Hyeyeong won’t have dinner until I go home. She shouldn’t be delaying her meals nor stay awake at this state, so I have to go.” He smiled at the two. “It doesn’t matter at all. You guys go ahead. I’ll join you some other day.” He said.

Baekhyun glared at him. “Since when did we have drinks without you, Lord Park Chanyeol?” He snarled at the taller warrior standing in front of him. He didn’t mind about showing any respect, since they were best friends since their childhood. “Let’s all go and visit Lady Hyeyeong today. We can have a drink some other time.”

The three warriors put their swords in their cases, dusted away their suits and started walking out of the royal martial arts arena. Just then, a servant from Chanyeol’s mansion came running.

“Jiheung? What brings you here at this hour?” Chanyeol asked the panting man who had haltered in front of him.

“My Lord...our Lady, Lady Hyeyeong...” He panted. “She was taken to the labour. The baby is about to be born.”

Chanyeol dropped his sword. Before his two friends could ask him any questions, he ran away straight out of the arena.

“But... wasn’t the due date in the next month?” Baekhyun asked the servant. The man bowed in respect. “It is, my lord, but the nurse said it is going to be a premature baby birth.” He sounded worried.

Baekhyun looked at Sehun. “We’d better go there too Sehun. Chanyeol must be worried sick.” He said to the younger. Sehun nodded, and the two of them also hurried towards Chanyeol’s mansion.

 

* * * * * * * *

 

Chanyeol entered the mansion in no time, thanks to his long legs and his speed, and he went straight to the room they had prepared for the labour. He saw maids of his mansion gathered around the entrance to the room, silently standing there.

Everyone, and everything, was silent.

 

Chanyeol stopped. Something seemed off about the atmosphere in the mansion and its staff. He saw many maids wipe away their tears. He didn’t hear his wife’s screams as he expected. Nor he heard the cries of a new born baby. Pushing the door, he entered the room. The closest maids of his wife, were kneeling beside the bed, crying their hearts out.

His eyes averted to the bed, just to see the still figure of his wife. The lady doctor who was standing beside the bed, bowed deep down seeing him. “I’m extremely sorry my lord, we couldn’t save the lady and her child.”

His insides froze. It was like he couldn’t move at all. His whole body went numb all at once.

Chanyeol took a step towards the bed. Another step. And another.

“Leave the room.”

He finally managed to say. The maids and the doctor bowed again and left the room, closing the door behind them.

Slowly, he sat on the bed. With trembling hands, he touched her face, which was paler than ever. “Hyeyeong-ah,” he mumbled. And slowly he lifted her body from the bed and hugged closer to himself.

“Hyeyeong-ah...” His voice was shaking. No other words came out through his lips. It was just her name.

“Hyeyeong-ah...”

 

Baekhyun and Sehun darted into the mansion after a while. Seeing the maids bowling, Sehun grabbed a guard at the door by his collar. “What’s going on here?” He asked.

“Lady-lady Hyeyeong...p-passed away...and th-the baby too, c-could not be saved.” He stuttered. Sehun’s grip on the guard’s collar automatically loosened and both he and Baekhyun ran straight to the labour room.

Baekhyun flung the door open, and the two darted in. They were frozen on the spot, by the sight of their friend.

“Chanyeol-ah,”

Baekhyun called him. But Chanyeol didn’t lift his head up to look at his friend. Sitting on the bed, he was still hugging his wife’s corpse tightly, glancing to the distance.

“Hyung,” Sehun muttered, tears filling his eyes same as Baekhyun’s. But still, Chanyeol didn’t even budge. Baekhyun sighed and placed a hand on Sehun’s arm. The younger one looked at him, and Baekhyun signalled him to come out. Hesitantly, Sehun walked out with Baekhyun.

“Hyeyeong-ah...” It was the last word they heard before exiting the room. “Hyeyeong-ah...”

 

* * * * * * * *

 

-Five Years Later-

 

A horse carriage was driven along a busy street in the capital, surrounded by four guards and followed by a few maid servants. Suddenly a window of the carriage slide open, and a head stuck out of it, startling the guard who was walking nearby that window.

“How long will it take?” the owner of the head asked the guard. The guard bowed his head and answered. “We’re almost there my lady. It won’t take more than another half an hour.” He said.

The so-called ‘Lady’, nodded with a pout. “Never mind. The city is beautiful, so I don’t mind spending some more time here.” She cheerfully said, and placed her forearm on the window sill and rested her chin on it. The guard, feeling awkward with her behaviour, backed a little and let her enjoy the view freely.

The carriage turned a corner, and entered a busy market street, crowded with people. But it was different from other markets, since some shops and stalls were rummaged by someone, sales goods scattered all over the street, and even the sales men of those shops were limping and some were rubbing their heads and backs, while trying to gather their belongings. People were gathered here and there ad discussing about the incident which took place a little while ago. Some were even acting out,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter