Hidden Feelings

Last Hunter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kyungsoo blinked at Jongin. “Yeah, I’m at wrong here, I know that already, no need to stare at me like that.” Jongin said gruffly, as he chugged down another shot of liquor. But Kyungsoo was still watching his new found friend with his widened eyes. “What about that lady then? Your master’s wife? Does she love-”

“She doesn’t even know. She’s all devoted to her husband.” Jongin replied, and a scoff left his lips soon after. “Think about it, which noble lady would even spare a look at some mere guard who stands there all day just to guard her, when she has a husband who has everything?”

Kyungsoo listened in silence. “I first started pitying her, and caring for her, because her love for her husband was just a pitiful unrequited love.” He went on, pouring himself shots of wine, one after the other. “But it’s just love I have for her now. Not compassion or anything.” He muttered.

“Her husband doesn’t love her?” Kyungsoo asked, getting curious about this situation, and forgetting his own encounter for an instant.

The guard shook his head. “He can’t get over his late wife, and is still grieving over her death. And Shin Seora is just suffering while living alone in that mansion of his.” He said.

“Shin Seora...” Kyungsoo repeated the name he heard, and Jongin’s eyes widened suddenly. “Come to think of it, I knew her even before she was married off to Lord Park. I have seen her earlier.” His fingers ran through his hair, and he ruffled it and sighed. “Guess it was not pity for her then, I fell for her way before that.” he muttered to himself as he placed his head on the wooden table, and closed his eyes. Kyungsoo just watched him in silence.

“I shouldn’t be calling her by her name, she’s my mistress after all.” Jongin mumbled in his drunken voice, and Kyungsoo could barely hear him. “But I want to call her by her name... I just want to...”

 

 

After listening to Jongin’s drunken babbling for another hour or two, Kyungsoo finally decided to him home. “Just try to stand up straight...here, take my support...and stand...” he panted, as the guard was bigger in build than him, and was completely leaning over him, having no intention at all to move. Kyungsoo sighed out for the umpteenth time, before finally managing to drag him all the way to the exit of the inn.

“I don’t want to go home... It’s not my home... Actually I don’t have a home...” Jongin was muttering non-stop. “Why wouldn’t you go home? I don’t know about your work much, but given that you are a guard working for a nobleman, you’ll have to report for work in the morning. You can’t just easily lose your job like that.” Kyungsoo explained, and heaved Jongin’s larger frame up again to walk out of the exit.

Just then another person entered the almost empty inn, and abruptly came to a halt seeing the two men. “Nayoung.” Kyungsoo muttered, staring at the girl who was standing in front of him, her chest heaving up and down with panting, and her face all flushed with an unreadable expression on it. “Nayoung-ah we need to-”

Before he could finish the sentence, she gave him a quick bow, as if he was just another customer of the inn, and ran past him right into the inn. He whirled around to look at her, but she vanished into the back of the inn in a trice. A sigh escaped his lips, and he slowly turned to look at the drunken man leaning to his side, with his head hung down, and almost fallen asleep while standing. “Let’s go Kim Jongin.” He started dragging the man out again, and Jongin started mumbling again. “Don’t wanna go there... he’s back with her and I heard he had been nursing her all night... Guess they’re all good now...”

Kyungsoo haltered outside the building, and tried to catch his breath. “Now to which side should we walk? Where’s your place for real?” he looked around the street, mentally cursing him for not asking that from Jongin when he was in his right mind. “I should be happy for her, but why can’t I be happy for her Kyungsoo-yah?”

Kyungsoo heaved another sigh. “Alright I get it man. But trust me, this one sided love of yours won’t last long. It’s only until you find someone who loves you back, and things will change. Just hang in there.” he patted the young man’s head which was leaning on the door beside him, while he was holding the drunken man straight with great difficult.

 

“Is that Kim Jongin?”

 

Kyungsoo lifted his head and saw a familiar figure on a horse, stopped in front of him on the street. It was his first time getting a clear view of this nobleman actually, but it wasn’t hard at all to recognize the man in that hot pink robe, gleaming in the moonlight and the light of lanterns hung on the entrance of the inn.

“It’s him.” the nobleman got the answer himself, because Kyungsoo wasn’t replying him, and he jumped off his horse. “He’s totally wasted right?” he asked as he walked up to the two men, and examined the drunken guard’s face. “Jongin? KIM JONGIN!!!”

Jongin strained him eyes open, and looked at the smaller and brightly dressed figure in front of him. “Oh,” he groaned under his breath, and bowed his head down. “Greetings, my lord.” He mumbled.

Baekhyun sighed and looked back at Kyungsoo. “Where were you heading?” he asked the unfamiliar young man.

Kyungsoo stared at the man who had approached him casually, not knowing how to respond. “He’s all wasted, you should just give him a place to drop and sleep now.” He continued, giving a sideways smirk at Jongin.

“I was trying to find his home.”

Kyungsoo finally replied. No matter how high and mighty this Byun guy looked, he couldn’t make up his mind to look up to him, and address him as ‘My Lord’ given that Kyungsoo himself was just an ordinary citizen. Luckily, Baekhyun wasn’t the type to mind such things. “So you mean you don’t know where he lives?” Baekhyun interrogated him again, and Kyungsoo shook his head. “We just met today.”

Baekhyun’s eyes shifted from Kyungsoo back to Jongin, and he nodded. “Then help me get him to my horse. I’ll take him home.”

Kyungsoo stared at him again with his doe eyes. “Bring him.”

 

When Jongin was sitting behind Baekhyun on his horse, with his hands loosely holding onto Baekhyun’s robes after the nobleman had commanded him a numerous times to do so, they were ready to leave. “We’ll get going then. Good night chingu!”

Baekhyun casually waved at Kyungsoo with a flash of cherry smile, and set off with the wasted man behind him. Kyungsoo watched them disappear far in the street, before turning back into his room in the inn.

 

He sat on the floor and heaved a sigh. After being together ever since their childhood, he knew Song Nayoung too well. He knew that she was not an easy person to convince or change mind by just talking, once she sets her mind to something. Even the reason they broke up, was because Kyungsoo wanted to remain living in the village while continuing his father’s job as the village physician, but Nayoung wanted to move into the city, and have a luxurious life there after earning heaps of money. Nobody could stop her, and not even her parents could make her understand that it was not easy for a commoner, especially a young girl like her become wealthy and acknowledgeable in the capital. And she wanted Kyungsoo to leave the village with her, and that was when he decided to part ways with her. He was someone who wanted to live a simple life, and his family was everything to him, so he couldn’t agree with her request.

Another sigh escaped his plump lips, as he got up and started spreading his beddings on the clean floor.

She wanted that life. And she chose it herself. If that’s what she want, I’m not the one to interfere.

 

* * * * * * * *

 

Haesol was sitting on a bench in the front yard of the Park’s mansion, staring at the night sky with less stars and more clouds. For some reason, she didn’t feel like sleeping that night, and after making sure Seora was sound asleep after taking her medication and dinner, she walked out and wondered around the garden for a while, and came to sit on a bench. She saw the two guards whom were standing sleepily at the main entrance of the mansion, and wondered where Jongin might be.

“Wish he had night shift today.” She muttered to herself before turning her eyes back to the cloudy sky.

Just then the wooden door opened by the guards outside, and two figures entered the premises. Haesol gasped and automatically stood up from her seat, seeing Baekhyun walking in, hauling the bigger frame of Jongin with him. He lifted his head up, and saw the made staring at the man leaned on his shoulders. “Oh Haesol-ah, come here.” Baekhyun called her. The girl at once ran to him, with eyes filled with worry. “What happened my lord?” she asked impatiently.

“No he’s alright. Just a bit drunk.” Baekhyun answered with a smile. “Now go g

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter