Who Is He?

Last Hunter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“My Lady, was that person...that handsome?” Haeseol asked Seora.

The young maid had been watching her young mistress space out quite often, after she had returned from her adventurous walk with her nephew. Little Nuri was more than glad to have her company, since she was the perfect match for him to break rules and have fun in his own way. Seora too, had taken a great liking to the capital, just in few hours after she arrived. Her sister Bora thought that it was because the city was not as boring as the country, and because she had plenty of things to see. But only Haeseol knew the real reason that made Seora interested about the capital.

“Hmm?” Seora hummed, still not stepping out of her dream world. Haeseol grinned to herself. Putting aside the duster in her hand, she scooted over to her mistress and peered into her face. Seora suddenly snapped out of her thoughts, and stared at Haeseol. “What?” she asked.

Haeseol giggled. “That’s what I’m also asking? What’s this?” she asked back. Seora widened her eyes at her maid. She was more like a friend to Seora, than a maid. They were best friends, they lived in the same house for years because Haeseol’s parents served Seora’s parents, and they grew up together like sisters. There was nothing that Seora hid from Haeseol, and Haeseol too, was open about everything with Seora.

Seora’s face started reddening with a slight blush. “Have you fallen for a man you saw only once, my lady?” Haeseol asked suspiciously. Seora replied her with a meek grin.

“Isn’t that possible?”

Haeseol scoffed. “How can you like someone without even knowing who he is? Does it even make any sense?”

Seora pouted and hung her head. “He was so......handsome Haeseol, you should have seen him. And oh my, the way he fought...” she drifted away into her dreamland, again. Haeseol sighed. “Do you even know what he is? His occupation?”

Her mistress straightened up. “He looked like a soldier. His attire looked like that of the royal army. Wonder what rank he’s in.” She placed her chin on her palm dreamily. Haeseol gave up the hopeless inquiry about this mysterious and ‘unbelievably tall, handsome guy’, and returned to her previous job, dusting the furniture in the room. Few minutes later, a knock was heard on the door and the door slid open, by Bora, Seora’s sister.

“Ah, unnie! Come in!” Seora said beaming at her sister.

Bora came in with a smile identical to Seora’s, and sat on a cushion on the floor in front of the younger girl.

“Is it boring staying in?” she asked, since she knew Seora is used to spend her day free outdoors. But Seora shook her head earnestly. “Not at all unnie, I love it in here.” She said. “I still have a lot to see even inside this mansion, so it’s not boring at all.”

“I’m glad to hear that.” Bora said. “By the way Seora, I actually came to ask you a favour.”

Seora widened her eyes. “A favour? From me? What is it unnie?”

Bora went on. “Our Nuri’s school, the school for kids from noble families in the capital, is holding its annual examination.” She said. “Actually it’s not very important for little children like our Nuri. It’s mainly to find the best students among them as government officials. But they give a chance for the youngest students to shoe=w their colours by reciting the Chinese readings they have learnt. Our Nuri is one of the youngest students in the school, but he’s pretty good compared to the other students around his age.”

“Oh...you must be proud of him. No doubt, he must be intelligent like his father.” Seora said happily. “So what do I have to do unnie?” she asked.

“Tomorrow is the examination. Minseok has to attend the royal court and I have to accompany her majesty the Queen to a temple outside the capital. So both of us won’t be attending the event. And Nuri will be upset if no one shows up when he’s showing his talents. So Seora, can you please attend the event in behalf of us?” Bora asked in a pleading tone. Seora smiled with a nod. “Of course unnie, why wouldn’t I? It’s for our little baby, and it’s a help for you and oppa. Sure I will go there and cheer him tomorrow.” She said, holding her sister’s hand. Her sister gave her a smile full of gratitude.

“Thank you Seora, it’s a great favour for us.”

 

* * * * * * * *

 

Seora looked around in awe. The place was filled with scholars and their family members, teachers and some royal officials. She was sitting in a side of the open area, where all the families of the scholars were seated. Haeseol was standing close behind her. I the open are, all the scholars were seated on mats, waiting to be examined. In front of them was a stage, where all their teachers and royal officials were seated.

Nuri turned his head towards the area Seora was seated, and finally caught her eye. His small face lit up with a smile as soon as he saw his auntie.

“Nuri-ah, you can do it!” Seora mouthed, pumping her fist in the air. Nuri imitated her gesture, and turned back to the front with a contended smile.

Few minutes later, the chief master of the school appeared from behind the teachers and went to take his seat in the front. And he was accompanied by another person. He was a tall person with broad shoulders, wearing a dark blue robe in expensive Chinese silk, and a black hat like all the other noblemen. He sat beside the master, and raised his head to take a look at the scholars sitting in front on him.

“HAESEOL!!!”

“Haeseol jumped when Seora elbowed her on the stomach. And she looked down at her mistress, with a ‘are-you-out-of-your-mind-my-lady’ look on her face.

Seora quickly regained her noble-lady posture, and signalled Haeseol to bend down to her with a finger. Haeseol obeyed her, and Seora whispered in to her ear. “It’s him! The guy I saw yesterday! He’s the one sitting beside the master!”

Haeseol looked up and gasped. After waiting to take a good look at his face, she leaned back to Seora’s ear. “I guess you were right my lady. He is handsome indeed.” Seora flipped back her straight black hair, which was styled in a half pony tail, and turned back to the stage with a triumphant smirk. See? Didn’t I tell you about his looks?

 

The youngest students were the first to recite their Chinese verses. And just like Bora had said, and to everyone’s surprise, the tiniest, and youngest student in the school, Kim Nuri, was the only one who recited every line without a single mistake among al

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter