Zhang

Last Hunter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kyungsoo eyed the man sitting in front of him, giving a hand in packing the medicinal herbs he was preparing to take to the market that morning. He watched how the warrior in civilian’s cloths struggled with the hay rope in his hands while his eyes followed the girl who was sweeping the front yard a few feet away from them.

“Oppa tell me when you finish packing. I’ll take them to the town. I have to hand over a tonic to the Ahjumma at the inn on my way back.” She talked while sweeping away the few dried leaves on the sandy yard, not raising her head to look at her brother hence not noticing the pair of eyes that were following her all the time.

Kyungsoo threw the parcel in his hand forcefully on the table with a bang, making Baekhyun jump and snap out of his day dream. He looked at the young doctor with widened eyes, whom returned his look with a glare with even wider eyes.

 

“I’m going to take these today. So if you have something to hand over, I’ll do it.” He replied his sister, still not taking his eyes away from Baekhyun.

You want me to send you alone to the town so this punk can follow you around on streets too?

 

“But oppa that Ahjumma-”

“I know that woman so I will do it!” Kyungsoo tore his gaze away from the man in front of him and snapped at his sister. “I have to meet someone so I will be going to the town. That’s why I’m asking you to stay.”

“Oh...arasso.” Jungsoo mumbled, slightly backed down by her brother’s temper. Yet she was not surprised, because Do Kyungsoo had inherited that temper from his father, and she was used to it since forever.

 

But Baekhyun wasn’t.

He watched as Kyungsoo got up from the bench they were sitting on and hurriedly collected all the packed medicine, and storm in to the house with them.

“Waah... what a temper.” Baekhyun said with a smirk. Jungsoo looked at him and returned to her task with a carefree smile. “But he has the warmest heart you know.”

“Wonder if I’d ever see that.” he muttered to himself, and stood from the bench as well. “So what are the plans for the day Jungsoo?” he asked, enthusiasm clearly lacing his question. But before the girl could answer, her brother stepped out from the house with his favourite guest in their house at the moment.

“So if you don’t mind Jongin-ah, can you start collecting firewood after breakfast?” he asked the guard who had followed him out of the house. “It’s quite chilly at night these days, and the two patients must be kept warm more than us.”

Jongin nodded. “Sure. I’ll take care of it. You don’t have to worry.”

Kyungsoo turned his head to look at Baekhyun, and spoke again. “Since we’ll need more firewood than a regular family would need, I guess you’ll need help of the two Captains as well.”

Jongin quickly shook his head. “No need Kyungsoo-yah I can manage myself. It’s not like I haven’t done these kinds of work before.”

“No it’s alright.” Baekhyun interrupted, making his way towards the two men. “I’ll wake up Sehun and we’ll all head to the jungle with Jongin.” He said with a casual smile.

 

Kyungsoo gave him a curt nod and looked at his sister. “You go and help omma to treat the lady. Abhuji said she’s making progress. Make sure to stay right beside her until I return.”

And without waiting for her answer, he went inside again and grabbed out a bag and headed out of their place, not even bothering to bid any goodbye.

 

“Seriously that guy has quite the weird behaviour.” Baekhyun said, watching the young doctor disappear around the corner of the narrow path. “Maybe we both loved the same woman in our past life and I won her over. And maybe he’s still holding the grudge.”

He chuckled with a shake of head and went inside to wake Sehun up.

 

* * * * * * * *

 

A moderately tall young man walked along the path across the village, dressed in brick red Chinese robes and dark green pants, the robe held in place with a matching green waist belt and the bamboo hat he wore covering more than half of his jade-like complexion and keen eyes that were scanning the entire area as he walked ahead. He occasionally stopped on his track to adjust the considerably large bag that was hanging off his back, which appeared to be full of some heavy contents. As he walked, he noticed an old woman watering the vegetable patch in front of her house, and he decided to walk up to her and bow deep down with a greeting.

“Good day halmoni!!! Looks like your vegetable patch needs a lot of work... it must be very tiring!”

The old woman raised her head and eyed the young figure outside her fence with curiosity, and placed the bucket aside and made her way closer to him. “Who is this...”

“I’m a merchant from China, halmoni.” He raised the edge of his hat a little and smiled at her, his eyes crinkling cheerfully and a dimple on his right cheek coming into view. “How long will it take to reach the nearest town halmoni?”

“Oh, you’re almost there!” the woman said, pointing towards the path which ran ahead facing east. “Just a few minutes’ walk and you will be in the town young man.” She said with a grin. The merchant bowed again and flashed another smile. “Thank you halmoni, I’ll take my leave then.”

He took a few steps away from the house before stopping, and turning back to call her again. “By the way halmoni,” he called her aloud. “Are there any literate people in this village?”

“What people?” the old woman narrowed her eyes and questioned, unable to comprehend the word that she had heard.

“Um... people who can read and write,”

“Why would you need to know that?”

“Ah, because I’m selling paper halmoni.” He grinned, pointing towards the bag on his back. “The finest Chinese parchment paper you can ever find. So if there are any people who need them, I can sell them cheaper than in the market.”

“Oh...” she nodded thoughtfully. “Well the only family that can read and write are the Physician Do’s family. They live right behind that corner.” She said, showing the far end of the path running across the small village. “They might buy, you should go and ask them.”

 

* * * * * * * *

 

“Gosh...what type of jungle doesn’t have enough firewood?”

Baekhyun complained as they walked through the small wooden gate into the Do’s premises. “We walked into the woods like... at least two miles? Didn’t we Jongin?”

“Yes Captain.” Jongin smiled, putting down his A frame that was laden with half dried firewood. “Maybe that’s why Kyungsoo said it will need more than one person to do the task.”

 

“Who’s that?”

The most silent of them all, Sehun spoke up, raising an eyebrow out of curiosity at the two figures seated at the veranda of the main house.

Jungsoo was there, sitting next to a Chinese man who was dressed like a merchant, who had at least a dozen rolls of parchment spread on the floor between them, cheerfully explaining her about a piece of paper in his hand, which was translucent and pure white.

 

Baekhyun’s A frame was dropped to the ground with a significant crash, sending half of his firewood load scattering on the neatly swept front yard, and he strode towards the veranda while dusting of his hands. “Who’s this Jungsoo?”

“Ah, he is a paper merchant Baekhyun.” Jungsoo grinned. “He had heard that we need paper, and he’s giving them at quite a good price, so I’m planning to buy some.”

The merchant looked up at Baekhyun and gave him a pleasant smile with a nod. “You should check them out yourself sir, the paper is of the best quality, not everywhere in Joseon you can find these kind of good quality for such a cheap price.”

Baekhyun ignored him and turned back to the girl. “Where are your parents? Why did you take him in if you are alone at home?”

 

“They’re at the back yard...” she waved her hand carelessly. “I’ll buy three rolls of this, sir.”

 

The merchant happily started separating three rolls of parchment to hand over, and Baekhyun was questioning the girl again. “Why do you need this much paper?”

“Oppa and I translate Chinese fiction and medical books you know.”

“You do? Then I can help too!”

 

The young merchant raised his head and an unnaturally sharp gaze landed on Baekhyun, and it quickly shifted from him to Sehun who was standing a few feet away.

 

“Can you read Chinese?” the girl gapped at Baekhyun, and face palmed soon after. “What am I even asking.”

The merchant looked at her from the corner of his eyes and turned back to packing his stuff.

 

“If you return to Joseon, make sure to come back here.” Jungsoo told the Chinese man after paying him for what she bought. “We’ll need more paper when the state exams are near.”

“Of course young Miss.” The merchant bowed, as he got up from the floor and hung the huge bag on his back. “If you have to place any order, give it to the book store near th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter