A Match

Praying For Hearts

Yifan finally moved his gaze from Jongdae, and looked around the forest.

"I leave for a few months and you all bring a human?",

"I don't mean any harm",Jongdae found the courage to say something, after all Yifan was speaking as if Jongdae wasn't standing right in front of him.

However, that only redirected Yifan's attention back towards him, his eyes seemed to hold a fire in them.

"You all never do",was Yifan's cold reply.

"Enough,Yifan",Baekhyun intervened,"I am the god here",

"And as god, you should know the rules",Yifan retorted.

"It's not against the rules for me to bring whoever I want into this world",Baekhyun stated, and even though he stood a few feet shorter than Yifan, his aura and stance never wavered.

Yifan looked back to Jongdae, who was smart enough to not say anything.

"That's not the rule I'm talking about",Yifan said with emphasis, as he looked at Baekhyun.

Whatever rule it was, Jongdae saw that Baekhyun seemed to know what he meant.

"It isn't-Fine, Jongdae, let us go. It's about time we get some rest anyway",Baekhyun turned away confusing Jongdae."The rest of you, thank you for your efforts today. Please continue without us. Luhan, Tao, thank you",

The nymph waved from his river and Luhan gave a pat to both their cheeks.

Baekhyun began walking away and Jongdae gave one last look to the forest, to the immortal world and to Yifan, who glared at him.

Jongdae followed Baekhyun back towards the temple.

______________________________________________________________

"What was that about?",Jongdae asked once they neared the temple, everything was the same as before, but Jongdae's memories of the immortal world were still engraved in his mind.

Baekhyun sighed.

"Yifan is another friend of mine, however, he's one less trusting of humans. Simply put, he doesn't like them",

"Is there a specific reason?",Jongdae wondered.

There was, Baekhyun thought, but it wasn't something, it was someone, but Yifan had sworn him, Tao and Luhan to secrecy. Although he trusted Jongdae more than anything, he also knew it wasn't his story to tell.

"It's just a thing about most of us thinking human are dangerous",Baekhyun lied, although not fully as that was actually true.

Jongdae nodded.

"I don't know how I could harm him,though, I'm just a human, he's the dragon. He could kill me if he wanted to",

"Yes, yes he could. But humans are dangerous in more than one way",Baekhyun explained as they arrived to the temple."Sorry, you couldn't enjoy the festival by the way",

Jongdae shook his head and shot him a smile.

"I enjoyed myself, I'm really glad you showed me everything you did.It was nice, now I know god Baekhyun and non-god Baekhyun",

"Non-god?",

"At home, I forget sometimes since you act normal-well not normal but you know less godly and stuff",

Baekhyun nodded.

"Which is the better one?", Baekhyun curiously asked as Jongdae contemplated.

After a moment he smiled at Baekhyun.

"Neither",Jongdae grinned.

Baekhyun made a thin branch float and hit Jongdae in the back of his head making him yelp but laugh.

_________________________________________________________________________

"Why can't I come with you?",Baekhyun questioned again, it was day time and time to work on the windows but Jongdae was insisting he go alone to buy the materials.

"Because it's a surprise! If you go it'll be less of a surprise",Jongdae told him so Baekhyun relented and let Jongdae go by himself, meanwhile he worked on fixing up the pond he had. Clearing out some of the weeds he hadn't before, and feeding the Koi fish he already had in there.

Baekhyun hummed to himself as he watched the Koi fish swim around, a simple melody of an old song.

Baekhyun stopped, feeling a presence.

"You're playing a dangerous game Baekhyun", Baekhyun turned and saw the Chinese shape shifting dragon, Yifan, looking at him, he came closer before turning into his human form.

Baekhyun was irked by the fact that his human form was as tall as ever.

"What are you doing here, Yifan? I thought you weren't coming back till a few more months", Baekhyun instead said.

"I've grown tired of the forest at home at the moment, thought I might visit some friends and you", Yifan chuckled,"But it seems you're stirring up trouble again",

"I'm not doing anything", Baekhyun denied, offering some bugs to the koi fish swimming in his pond. He watched their scales glitter as they glided through the water each attempting a bite of the bugs.

"So then Tao's information that you've fallen in love with a human is wrong?", Yifan asked as Baekhyun stiffened which was enough of an answer for Yifan who sighed, crouching down next to Baekhyun as they both stared down at the pond.

"Tao should stop gossiping, he's giving nymphs a bad name", Baekhyun muttered neither denying or confirming the statement.

Yifan said nothing for a moment, slightly pushing at a water lily as it moved with the water.

"Luhan also mentioned it",

"So a fairy and a nymph are gossiping about me behind my back?", Baekhyun fauxed being offended.

"Baekhyun..you know we can't be with humans..not that way. There's a reason why I'm worried..Why I came to see you",

Yifan didn't need to remind him, Baekhyun knew perfectly well that love was forbidden between the mythicals and the mortals. It's like a curse.

Yifan knew this all too well.

Yifan had suffered from his love for a human. From his love for Junmyeon.

They didn't work out. Yifan was too tied to his home, to who he was, and Junmyeon was too human, too caught up in his own life and experiences.

They tried and tried, but fate was never on their side, only pushing them apart. It was like that for every immortal and mortal.

Baekhyun, knew their stories all too well.

He felt even worse knowing that the Junmyeon, Yifan had searched for and no doubt still searches for is now with Yixing. Junmyeon was at peace, but Baekhyun's friend was still emotionally scarred.

"What do I do then?", Baekhyun asked softly.

He was terrified, he never meant to love Jongdae as much as he did. Because as much as he tried to deny it. As much as he insisted it was purely platonic and meaningless and just a really great friendship...it wasn't. I mean, it was a great friendship but Baekhyun genuinely cared for Jongdae, he genuinely liked talking to him and looking at him and every single thought in his mind was screaming at him to not do this. To not fall for Jongdae of all people, a mortal, who asked Baekhyun to find his match. But Baekhyun also knew all to well, the heart never listened to the mind.

However, he didn't want to live through the cursed love, it sounded all too painful. Too unbearable.

"Find him his match, Baekhyun. Once that's done you're free to leave him alone. If he decides to still come by...you know what to do", Yifan said.

Erase his memory.

Baekhyun didn't want that.

He hated the thought of that.

He thought it was unfair, it would be incredibly unfair.

Baekhyun kept his eyes on the pond, and as he blinked an image formed in the water.

And image of a boy with striking cat-like eyes but a cute yet mature aura to him with a smile that seemed to shine. He was shy, but could carry conversation and banter if he wished to. He was more of a home body and preferred staying in and quiet places but could deal with loud and crowded places too. He loved coffee and owned a cat, he was a kind and generous person. He could be very kid-like at times but also serious.

His name was Kim Minseok.

And he was Jongdae's match.

Baekhyun frowned at the image, at the information, a weight in his chest.

He reached out a hand and created ripples at the water till the image dissolved.

The image he had once looked very closely and intensely for, was now the image he wished didn't exist.

"I'm guessing you've already found him?",

Baekhyun only sighed in response.

"Yeah...his match..I've found him",