A Love Ball

Praying For Hearts

Something felt different.

Jongdae wasn't sure what it was but something felt different.

He'd woken up, Baekhyun had been nuzzled into him, that was nothing new.

However, when Jongdae prepared himself yet again for Baekhyun to pull him closer when Jongdae asked him to let go, Baekhyun instead stopped holding his shirt and his side, his back facing Jongdae as he sighed softly.

Jongdae had thought that was weird but didn't think that was the reason something felt different.

When Baekhyun finally woke up he smiled at Jongdae and told him he snored real loud last night as he sat in front of him to eat breakfast.

Jongdae kicked him and Baekhyun laughed.

That was normal, definitely not what made him feel something was different.

He fed Noodle and made sure to clean out the litter box, that was normal too.

Baekhyun was eating a pop tart, sitting in front of the tv with Noodle in his lap.

That was normal.

Wait...Jongdae kept staring at Baekhyun.

It was him.

Something about him was different.

Baekhyun felt Jongdae staring, he turned to look at him, Jongdae was gazing at him with deep concentration.

"What?",

Jongdae didn't say anything, instead he moved closer going up to Baekhyun's face till they were nose to nose.

Baekhyun blinked back at him dumbfounded, his face starting to burn up and his heart beat quickening, but Jongdae didn't seem to notice as he sat back away from him, his eyes still on Baekhyun who was really confused as to why Jongdae was looking at him so intensely.

Jongdae snapped his fingers.

Standing he pointed at Baekhyun's outfit.

"You're not wearing white! Your clothes! They're different!",

Baekhyun raised an eyebrow before looking down at himself.

He was wearing a pink sweater, paired with some dark jeans.

"Yeah? So?...Does it look bad?",

Jongdae shook his head before smiling proudly at himself at having figured it out.

"Not at all. My favorite color is pink", 

I know, Baekhyun thought.

"It looks really good on you",Jongdae complimented making Baekhyun smile at him,"But how come you suddenly decided to wear color?",

Baekhyun shrugged.

"I don't think my suit would have had much of an impact if I went from normal white clothing to a fancy white suit. So I added some color for today",

At the reminder Jongdae hummed.

"Today's finally Valentine's Day, huh?",

Baekhyun nodded.

"One month's already gone by but it's felt much longer",

"Definitely",Jongdae agreed,"It was a good month",

Baekhyun was quiet for a moment before he opened his mouth.

"Jongdae...I have something I need to tell you",

Jongdae noted the serious tone in Baekhyun's voice, he looked at him attentively.

"What is it?",

Baekhyun took a moment to compose himself, compose his heartbeat, compose his emotions and his thoughts, but as he was about to speak Jongdae's phone rang.

"Hold up a sec, Baek, let me answer this", Jongdae said, taking his phone and standing as he answered.

The words,"Hey Minseok, what's up?", remind Baekhyun of the situation. The light tone in Jongdae's voice remind Baekhyun of Jongdae's feelings. 

They remind him that his own can't interfere, shouldn't interfere.

He'd convinced himself that maybe if he confessed to Jongdae maybe it'd be okay, maybe Jongdae would reject him but that's okay.

Except now he realized he wasn't sure if that'd be okay at all, he wasn't sure if he'd be able to handle Jongdae rejecting him.

When Jongdae wrapped up the phone call he came back to Baekhyun and apologized before asking him to continue.

Baekhyun looked at Jongdae for a moment, he didn't want to be rejected...at least not yet...he still wanted to hold onto going to the ball with him.

"We need more poptarts",

Jongdae frowned.

"Baekhyun you had me worried for a second there and all you were going to ask is about food?",

"Food is important Jongdae. How would anyone survive without food? Do you want me to starve?",

Jongdae rolled his eyes but Baekhyun noticed the humor in them.

"Fine, fine. We'll buy some after the ball",

Baekhyun grinned.

After the ball...yeah

______________________________________________________________________

Jongdae looked at himself in the mirror, he had to admit, Baekhyun seemed to know as much about fashion as he did about love.

The outfit Baekhyun had picked for him looked amazing on Jongdae.

The red definitely made him feel more bold, more confident about himself, he wondered how Minseok would react to how he looked. He wondered how Minseok would look, Jongdae had told him it was formal and so far he hadn't seen Minseok in a suit.

The thought of it was giving his stomach butterflies.

He fixed his hair and sighed before a soft smile crossed his face.

Thinking of all the new parts of his life that had become so close and dear to his heart, Minseok, Noodle, and of course Baekhyun...especially Baekhyun, I mean, if it wasn't for him, Jongdae wouldn't have the other two.

He  checks the time on his watch, it's almost time to leave.

Minseok had decided he'd meet him at the ball, since he lived close to the location so now Jongdae was waiting for Baekhyun, who was still in the bathroom.

Jongdae could faintly hear his humming.

After having hummed along for 3 songs, Jongdae sighed and got up to knock on the door but just as he stood the door was opened and Baekhyun stepped out.

Baekhyun smiled brilliantly at the stunned look on Jongdae's face.

"Guess I look as handsome as I hoped?",

Jongdae only nodded, he wanted to tease but he couldn't, his mouth couldn't even form words.

Even if he could he was positive he wouldn't say them, he wasn't sure he'd never hear the end of it if he called Baekhyun beautiful...even if that's exactly what he was.

Jongdae was only broken back into reality when Baekhyun asked him something.

"Huh?",

Baekhyun grinned clearly still loving Jongdae's reaction.

"I said what's that?",Baekhyun pointed at the box Jongdae had on the bed, it was nicely decorated.

"Oh! That's Minseok's Valentine's gift",Jongdae opened it and in there Baekhyun saw the manga volumes and some flowers, as well as a card where Jongdae had more than likely written a loving and cute message.

Baekhyun smiled, it was a subdued one.

"He's going to love it",

"I hope so",

"Well, my duckling, let's go to the ball",Baekhyun chirped offering Jongdae his arm.

"Can't you come up with another nickname? I'm begging",

Baekhyun thinks about it.

"You do remind me of a camel",

Jongdae groaned, but looped his arm through Baekhyun's nonetheless, something Baekhyun didn't actually expect him to do but he was happy about it nonetheless.

"Let's just go",

___________________________________________________________________

"Minseok said he's already inside. You know, I realize this is the first time you're going to properly meet him",Jongdae noted as they entered the hall.

"It's not like I don't know anything about him. I think I know too much of him",

"There's never too much Minseok",Jongdae grinned to himself, while Baekhyun focused on the hall and people around them.

The actual place was huge, and there was a good amount of people there, all dressed up in gowns or suits.  

Tables were set up, buffet set out with delicious food, music was playing, the lights and chandeliers above their heads twinkled, flowers and hearts decorated the place, but they were all beautiful pieces and decorations.

Everyone was smiling, talking, laughing others dancing. 

The atmosphere was a lively and wholesome one.

Baekhyun saw so much love and happiness around him it was mesmerizing. It was beautiful.

"Junmyeon and Yixing sure know how to go all out for Valentine's Day",Jongdae himself was impressed by the scene in front of him.

"They did amazing",Baekhyun said his voice full of awe.

Jongdae turned to look at him only to see Baekhyun's eyes sparkling with joy, Jongdae smiled at him, it was actually pretty cute how happy something like this made Baekhyun.

"Come on let's see if we can find Minseok, he told me he's over by some ice sculpture",

Baekhyun removed Jongdae's arm away from him making Jongdae look at him with a confused look on his face.

"You go",Baekhyun insisted,"I'm going to go see if I can find Chanyeol or Kyungsoo, or check out that buffet table. You should give Minseok his present on your own",

Jongdae nodded.

"Okay, I'll see you in a bit then",

Baekhyun agreed and watched as Jongdae went to find Minseok.

His heart became heavy not having him by his side. When they walked in, Baekhyun momentarily had imagined what it would've been like to actually be Jongdae's date, to be the one to receive a Valentine's Day gift from him, and thank him with a smile or a hug or a kiss. Especially a kiss.

But that was selfish.

Baekhyun shouldn't be thinking like that.

He stuck to his words and went around greeting people he didn't even know and making small conversation, he found everyone to be really friendly and easy to get along with.

He stopped when he saw a familiar pair of ears that stuck out like a monkey's.

"Chanyeol. Kyungsoo",Baekhyun said as he met up with one of his favorite pairs.

Kyungsoo was wearing a classic black tux while Chanyeol wore a stylish suit.

"Baekhyun! You made it! Where's Jongdae?",Chanyeol greeted him with his big smile while Kyungsoo waved at him and nodded, he didn't seem cold though, Baekhyun was sure that by now he either believed Chanyeol's story of Baekhyun being a god or just didn't care either way and amused his boyfriend by going along with it.

Baekhyun had a suspicion it was the latter.

"With Minseok",Baekhyun simply replied.

At this Chanyeol and Kyungsoo exchanged looks.

"You mean they're still a thing?",Chanyeol asked.

"Of course they are. They're soulmates after all. Why wouldn't they be?",Baekhyun raised an eyebrow.

Chanyeol rubbed the back of his neck.

"Well..."

Kyungsoo sighed.

"I'm not going to get into any of the technicalities you and Chanyeol talk about when it comes to true love and soulmates and whatever. But dude, it's clear to us that you have feelings for Jongdae and I have no idea why you'd go set him up with someone else when you have those feelings",

Baekhyun felt his face heat up, he supposed maybe it was only Jongdae who was oblivious to his feelings.

"I'm a love god, I can't be with Jongdae",Baekhyun replied, his tone defeated but matter of fact.

"Why not? I mean... I know you've told me about the "curse" and stuff but what if it can be different this time?...You're a love god, shouldn't that somehow make this time different? You told me that true love can work, even if it seems impossible it can work, even if it's against destiny and the rules",Chanyeol told him.

"You can't not tell him your feelings, you can't lie to him and pretend you're just his friend you know? Jongdae deserves to know how you really feel at least, I'm sure he'd want you to be honest with him",Kyungsoo added.

Baekhyun's head was swirling with thoughts and his heart was feeling too much all at once. He didn't want to tell Jongdae. He didn't want to be rejected...what if he wasn't? The idea was impossible and even if for some reason Jongdae didn't reject him they couldn't be together. They couldn't be an exception....could they?

None of his questions had definite answers.

Chanyeol and Kyungsoo were looking at him expectantly.

"I'll tell him",He finally said quietly.

"You will?",Chanyeol looked happy, as did Kyungsoo.

Baekhyun nodded.

And he meant it.

He'd come to a decision.

He was going to tell Jongdae, but he was also going to let him be happy no matter the outcome.

"Speaking of",Kyungsoo said as Jongdae was coming their way, arm looped through Minseok's.

Baekhyun couldn't believe how charming Minseok looked, his hair no longer dark, instead a lighter color, shorter, and while he was dressed formally on top, he wore dark ripped jeans but he made the whole outfit come together nicely. He looked mature but warm.

And next to Jongdae the two looked like a power couple.

Perfect.

Jongdae smiled at them.

"Hey guys, Chanyeol, Kyungsoo you two have met Minseok. Minseok this is my friend Baekhyun",

Minseok greets Chanyeol and Kyungsoo before turning to look at Baekhyun and smiling at him offering his hand.

"Nice to finally meet you Baekhyun, you're also living with Jongdae right? Is it bothersome?",Minseok's last statement was more for Jongdae, to .

Jongdae scoffed.

"I am a great pleasure to live with I'll have you know",

"Guess I will have to know one day",Minseok said sweetly effectively making Jongdae's face flush at the implication of living together.

Baekhyun controlled his face and merely laughed.

"He's a bit bothersome", "Hey!", "But he's definitely a pleasure to live with",

Jongdae smiled at the compliment.

"Good to know but it really is nice to meet you, Jongdae has a lot of admiration for you, he talks a lot about you",

"Minseok!",Jongdae whined.

"What? It's true",

Baekhyun felt his heart flutter at the thought of Jongdae talking to Minseok of all people about him...in an admiring and nice way...it made him happy.

Baekhyun smiled.

"I don't think it compares to how much he talks about you",

"Baekhyun!",Jongdae turned to him.

Minseok chuckled and turned to look at Jongdae.

"You were right, he is great",

Just then Minseok's coworker Jongin called him over so Minseok excused himself and when he did Baekhyun turned to look at Jongdae who was refusing to make eye contact.

"I'm great,huh?", He said with a teasing smile.

"Shut up, I knew you'd get all cocky this is why I don't tell you you're beautiful to your face",

Baekhyun blinked in surprise.

"Beautiful?",

Jongdae realized what he said and he groaned at his stupid self.

"I'm beautiful?",Baekhyun asked again, his voice not teasing but genuinely curious.

"I'm not saying anything anymore",Jongdae shook his head.

Just then Baekhyun saw that behind Jongdae's shoulder stood Chanyeol and Kyungsoo who were looking at him pointedly.

Baekhyun couldn't tell him now...at least not in here...

Baekhyun turned behind him to see Minseok was caught up with Jongin.

"Jongdae, follow me",Baekhyun told him.

"Why?",Jongdae asked confused at the change in tone of Baekhyun's voice.

Baekhyun didn't answer and instead took Jongdae's hand and led him outside through a door.

He needed to do this.

But once he did there was no going back, and that pained Baekhyun, but he also knew he couldn't stand around the whole ball and watch Jongdae dance with Minseok or kiss him or hold him close without ever letting him know of his own feelings.