A Love

Praying For Hearts

There was only a few more days till the ball, till Valentine's Day, and Baekhyun was doing his best to destroy his feelings for Jongdae.

It wasn't easy though.

It wasn't easy when Jongdae walked into the apartment, bringing some snacks for Baekhyun and some food for Noodle before he took his seat and chatted away about his day.

It wasn't easy when Jongdae would lazily lie his head on Baekhyun's shoulder in the moments that they were peacefully watching a movie or tv show.

It wasn't easy when Jongdae would laugh wholeheartedly at Baekhyun's antics, stories and jokes, his face alight with pure joy.

It wasn't easy when Baekhyun had started making it a habit to sleep in Jongdae's bed, using the excuse that it was too cold in the living room.

It wasn't easy when Baekhyun would wake up to Jongdae looking so at peace, his eyelashes long and his lips pouted.

It wasn't easy when Jongdae would kick Baekhyun under the table for a teasing comment he made, and Baekhyun would kick back and it'd turn into a kicking war that would leave them both laughing along with Jongdae whining.

It wasn't easy when Baekhyun caught Jongdae singing softly to himself one day and instead of teasing like usual, Baekhyun joined him and they found that their voices could harmonize really well.

It wasn't easy when they made it a habit to sing or hum together, one always starting the song and the other always jumping in.

It wasn't easy when Jongdae would wrap an arm around Baekhyun's shoulder as they walked back from grocery shopping while Jongdae asked more questions about being a god.

It wasn't easy when Jongdae once poked the mole near Baekhyun's lip and told him it was a pretty mole. (granted Jongdae did say it was too pretty to be on someone like Baekhyun, to which Baekhyun elbowed him but still the feel of Jongdae even touching near his lips was like lightning)

It wasn't easy when Baekhyun saw him playing with Noodle, deciding to completely keep the cat, getting him a collar and everything.

It wasn't easy.

But it could've been.

If he'd only leave Jongdae's apartment. He didn't really have a reason for still being there. Baekhyun's actual job of finding Jongdae's match was done, but Baekhyun was still there.

Jongdae didn't comment on it, he didn't seem to mind it at all, Baekhyun hadn't minded it either.

Until Yifan had brought it up one day when Baekhyun was checking up on his temple.

Baekhyun made up some excuse that the ball was coming up soon and he was attending and he didn't want to travel so far on that day.

Yifan didn't believe him, but he said nothing, just gave him a look.

Baekhyun knew he was being stupid, that he should stop, he shouldn't go to the ball, he shouldn't stay near Jongdae, but he also couldn't leave. 

Not even when Jongdae came home talking about Minseok, mentioning things he did with Minseok, mentioned what Minseok liked and what Minseok said. 

Not even when Jongdae talked about how Minseok had created a really cute coffee art for Jongdae.

 Not even when Jongdae showed him the picture of it and then proceeded to grin and retell how there'd been a cliche drama moment that occurred where Jongdae had gotten some foam on his upper lip and Minseok had wiped it off with his thumb before smiling at him.

Not even when Jongdae mentioned holding hands with Minseok and how good it felt.

Not even when Jongdae mentioned how he'd hugged Minseok, who apparently gave the best hugs.

Not even when Jongdae mentioned how Minseok liked to tease and fluster Jongdae, and when Jongdae would whine Minseok would find it endearing.

Not even when Jongdae mentioned how he'd start watching this drama because Minseok said it was really good.

Not even when Jongdae took Noodle for a play date with Minseok's cat leaving Baekhyun completely alone in the apartment.

Not even when Jongdae mentioned how he had sang a bit for Minseok and Minseok was really impressed and wanted to hear him sing some more.

Not even when Jongdae would bring out his phone and grin a cheesy stupid grin that Baekhyun knew meant he was texting Minseok.

Baekhyun's heart was put whole at one moment but would crack in pieces in the next. He knew Jongdae didn't mean to, after all he had no idea. Still, after all this Baekhyun didn't have it in him to leave yet.

__________________________________________________________________

"Why are you still up?", Jongdae asked Baekhyun, as he walked into the living room. It was already past one in the morning and Baekhyun was on the couch, Noodle with him, some drama playing on TV.

"I'm not tired, duh?",was Baekhyun's reply, but the truth was that he couldn't really sleep. He'd been thinking a lot. Tomorrow was not only Valentine's Day but the day of the ball, after that he wouldn't really have any other lame excuse to still be living with Jongdae. He'd probably go back to his temple and stay there, and maybe occasionally Jongdae would visit...would he bring Minseok?...Would Jongdae even really visit?...What if he did visit? Would Baekhyun's feelings go away? Maybe distance was all he needed...Maybe tomorrow when Baekhyun sees Jongdae with Minseok, maybe then his heart will let go...What if he doesn't? What if his heart doesn't ever let go? He could still be happy for Jongdae...

Baekhyun mentally shook his head.

He could be happy for Jongdae- He would be happy for Jongdae...but he wasn't sure if he could do that being close to him...Baekhyun didn't like that thought. Not being close to Jongdae. Not being in his life. 

That was the last thing he wanted.

"Are you excited?",Jongdae guessed taking a seat next to him, he'd just gotten out of the shower, so when he lazily lied his head on Baekhyun's shoulder, he smelled fresh.

Baekhyun always hoped that Jongdae couldn't feel his heartbeat whenever he did this.

"Excited?",

"Well it's Valentine's Day tomorrow and you're a love god, I'd think that'd be something you'd be excited about",

Baekhyun hummed, before allowing his own head to fall atop of Jongdae's.

"I guess I am. It's an interesting day for sure. Seeing all the couples, some formed by love gods and other by cupids. It's a really pretty day, seeing love bloom...but I suppose it can also be a sad day, seeing some hearts break",

"Baekhyun",

"Hm?",

"Can you look at two people together and know whether they're a good match or not?",

"What do you mean by match? Soulmate match?",

Jongdae shook his head slightly, careful not to shake off Baekhyun's own head off of his.

"No...just a good match. Maybe they're not soulmates but they can work",

Baekhyun was quiet for a second.

"Anyone can work Jongdae",

Baekhyun could sense the confusion in Jongdae so he continued.

"We've talked about soulmates, like your soulmate match, Minseok. Everyone has only one soulmate match.  But if we're talking about true love match...that can be anyone, it doesn't matter who as long as two people are willing to make it work, to go against destiny, against their differences for the chance to love each other, to be together",

"But a soulmate match is better",

"Ideally,as I once told you before, it's less struggles because your hearts and souls are in harmony, it's like finding the missing piece in your puzzle. True love can work, but it also might not, you have to take a chance if you want that person. Cupids like to say they're finding people's true love, but if you ask me that's a bunch of crap, they just shoot whenever they want to, at whoever they want to, they don't take much into consideration. Us love gods, we do, we take everything and everyone into consideration",

"Guess it was lucky that my soulmate was so close, are there times when someone's soulmate is far away?",

"Yeah, lots of cases like that. Cases like those I can only point them in the direction and eventually they end up bumping into them",

"Like I bumped into Minseok",Baekhyun couldn't see it but he could feel the fond smile on Jongdae's face. He felt his heart ache.

"But I wonder",Jongdae began,"What if Minseok had been far away? Like the other side of the world far away? The whole point of me even wanting to find someone was for the ball. I don't think I could've taken him if he lived on the other side of the world even if I really wanted to. What would you have done then? Who would've been my date?",

"Me", was Baekhyun's quiet but instant reply.

Jongdae was about to crack a joke but something in the way Baekhyun had said that stirred something in his chest. Baekhyun had said it sincerely and in a way...hopefully. It wasn't like when they were at the temple, when Jongdae said he'd probably take Baekhyun if he didn't have any other choice, then it had felt playful and teasing like always. 

Jongdae sighed softly to himself.

True love, the words and the idea of it was playing in Jongdae's head.

It would've been more difficult, it would've probably been hopeless, it would've been scary.

But it'd still be love.

He wondered what that type of love felt like, he wondered if that love would compare to the love he felt growing for Minseok.

True love, the love that goes against the rules, Jongdae found himself closing his eyes, sleepiness reaching him, Baekhyun's scent filling his nose, he wondered what that type of love would feel like in his heart.

Wondered if he'd prefer that type of love.

If he'd choose that type of love.

As Jongdae drifted to sleep he felt something press at the top of his head, something soft, a whisper following it, but something he couldn't quite catch.