An Epilogue Pt. 2

Praying For Hearts

100 years later...

Baekhyun was shifting between his temples making sure everyone's prayers were being answered and answered properly.

He himself had a few to answer, he'd only gotten more powerful, no longer considered a minor god but a god. Although he still felt minor in the presence of someone like Aphrodite but according to other creatures and minor gods he had climbed to the top.

It felt empowering really, he was happy with his status, and he was happy to do this even if he had been doing it for so long already. He'd just never get tired of watching the sparks, the fireworks, the happiness, the bloom of love.

Not to mention he could make faces at those cupids who were always running around trying to ruin everything.

Baekhyun was reading over some prayers when a letter dropped at his desk.

A purple one.

That wasn't good.

That meant cupids.

Baekhyun sighed and opened it, a cupid was at his temple, his original temple.

Baekhyun was about to send someone else to deal with the cupid and shoo him away from people seeking real love.

Instead, he decided to go do it himself.

It had been awhile since he'd visited that temple anyways. The memories of it although fond were still sometimes too much.

Baekhyun teleported himself with the snap of his fingers.

He stood at the front of his temple, and there he saw the cupid. He was standing looking at the stained glass windows.

The wings and arrows he carried sold him out, although, Baekhyun noted his wings weren't exactly fully grown. 

He must be a new cupid, Baekhyun thought.

Either way they're all troublemakers, going around looking like winged angels when they're anything but, Baekhyun mentally tsked and cleared his throat loudly.

"What are you doing on my propert-?",Baekhyun's words died in his throat as the cupid turned to look at him.

Baekhyun felt himself freeze.

His heart race and pound.

His mind spinning.

His eyes unbelieving.

He couldn't believe it.

"Sorry, I don't mean any trouble, honest, I just...I wanted to look at the temple",

His voice.

His face.

It can't be.

Can it?

Can it really be him?

"Um...I...Are you okay?", Jongdae stepped down the small set of stairs and walked closer to him but Baekhyun put up a hand to stop his movements.

Jongdae.

Kim Jongdae.

Is it really Jongdae?

The same brown eyes and perfect cheekbones he once knew and loved stare back at him.

His hair a shade lighter but it's Jongdae.

From his kitten lips to his moles to his voice.

"Jongdae?",

Jongdae blinks in surprise at him.

"You know me?", Jongdae points at himself. "Wow, I didn't think a love god would know my name...I don't know if that's a good thing, my higher up said you all hate us",

Baekhyun felt like he was gonna cry, but also laugh, but also he wanted to sit and think how this was possible.

Well...actually...it could be possible, in one way...

Reincarnation.

Baekhyun stares at Jongdae who's still waiting for him to say something.

Out of everything...why did he have to be reincarnated as a cupid?

"We only hate you all because you don't have any regards for real love. You choose your targets randomly, you choose targets that don't work and won't work. All for fun",Is all Baekhyun can manage to say.

This is Jongdae.

But it isn't Jongdae.

This is cupid Jongdae, for all Baekhyun knew it was a Jongdae he didn't want to know. The Jongdae he knew was gone this cupid was someone else.

"I don't want to do that",

Baekhyun is taken aback by Jongdae's response.

"I know that's what a lot of us do. That's what my higher up tells us to do, but I don't want to do that. I want to try and create relationships that'll work, I want to lead people the right way",Jongdae stated,"I may not be a love god like you, I can't exactly tell when people are soulmates but I'll find them love. Real love. Good love. True love. It won't be random, I'll put some thought into it and a lot of effort",

Baekhyun saw the sincerity in Jongdae's eyes.

And he was moved.

It still felt odd to be talking to him like this, to be talking to cupid Jongdae but maybe....just maybe even as a cupid, Jongdae's heart was still the heart of the Jongdae, Baekhyun loved with his own heart.

"I like that attitude",Baekhyun said approvingly, making Jongdae smile,"I guess you might be an okay cupid",

"Thanks? But also...I know this is weird and you're probably going to laugh in my face or something but...can you teach me?",

Baekhyun raised an eyebrow, mostly confused at what exactly Jongdae was asking.

"I...I want to learn from a love god about love. I said I'd try to find real love for people but to tell you the truth, I wouldn't exactly know how to start. All I've been conditioned to do is shoot these arrows wherever at whoever",

Baekhyun smiled.

"Is that the real reason you're here?",

There was a slight flush to Jongdae's face at having been figured out.

"Maybe. I didn't think it was going to actually be you who came though, I was hoping it would be",

Baekhyun lightly laughed to himself and Jongdae huffed.

"I knew you'd laugh at me",

"It's amusing...and I accept to teach you",

Jongdae's eyes widened.

"Really? I mean...Aren't you busy with your own pairs and stuff?",

Baekhyun nodded.

"You can watch and learn, or help me. What do you say duckling?",

Jongdae made a face at the nickname.

"Sounds good to me. That nickname is a one time thing though right?",

"You would hope so my duckling. Come, follow me. We've got things to do",

As Baekhyun offered his hand, Jongdae tentatively took it.

"Do love gods know all cupids names?",Jongdae questioned.

"No...I just had a lucky guess",Baekhyun told him as he teleported them.

___________________________________________________________

Baekhyun found Jongdae to still be as bright as he was, to still whine, to still be loud, to still sing and tease. Jongdae respected and admired him as a love god, but just like before, he didn't treat him all that differently. 

He had missed that.

He had missed Jongdae.

Still he wasn't sure how to approach this Jongdae with his feelings, what if he told him everything that had happened?

Would he believe him?

Would he care?

Would he be mad?

Baekhyun wasn't sure.

There was a lot of things Jongdae needed to know.

Baekhyun would tell him eventually. He never could keep anything from him long enough.

Still he hoped this meant something.

Jongdae coming back to him like this.

Maybe the universe was kind enough to give him this chance. To give them this chance.

Jongdae smiled at Baekhyun who had been staring at him again, Jongdae could tell the god was lost deep in thought. It was kind of cute.

Jongdae himself knew he made the right decision in coming to Baekhyun, a lot of the cupids found Baekhyun to be boring because he apparently ruined all their "fun" but Jongdae saw all the mortals and immortals who admired and worshipped him and he knew there was a good reason for it.

The god was a bit childish at times, he was playful but overall kind and wise, and Jongdae felt comfortable with him.

Felt like he's known him forever.

He's happy to be learning from him, he doesn't think he'll ever get tired of his company.

Jongdae waves a hand in front of Baekhyun's face who blinks back to reality.

"You done daydreaming?",

"I was not daydreaming",Baekhyun said defensively,"I was thinking of important things",

"Uhuh, meanwhile we got another prayer",

"We? I don't see your name on here",Baekhyun teased as he opened the letter.

"I think my arrows are have been more than helpful, we don't need recognition",

"Your arrows are nice, your aim not so much",

Jongdae groaned.

"When will you let that go? I didn't even know my arrows worked on animals",

Baekhyun laughed.

"Never, it was amusing seeing a goose chase you because it loved you",

Jongdae pouted as Baekhyun read the content of the letter.

Standing he offered Jongdae his hand, who took it.

Neither commented on the feelings of butterflies they felt when they did so, instead Baekhyun snapped his fingers and they were off.

Off to create more love stories.

Off to unknowingly remake their own love story.