A Moment

Praying For Hearts

Before they left Baekhyun's temple, while Jongdae was finishing gathering supplies, a rabbit came towards Baekhyun with a message from Yifan. All he had said was, "Don't forget his match",

As if Baekhyun could, he was kind of dreading it, but he had to psyche himself up, he was a love god, it was his duty.

Still, he'd better wait till they got back to Jongdae's place.

____________________________________________________________

"Home sweet home!",Jongdae let himself fall on the couch comfortably.

Baekhyun himself had missed Jongdae's place too, his home was his home, but a part of him had grown used to Jongdae's own home.

He let himself sit down besides Jongdae, he supposed now would be a good time, he was better off getting it over with as soon as he could.

"Jongdae, I have some news you'll probably like",

Jongdae looked at him.

"I don't know if I trust that, last time you said that you had almost exploded my microwave and your good news was that you hadn't",

"Was it not news you liked?",

"I would've liked if you hadn't almost exploded my microwave at all",

Baekhyun waved his comment away.

"It's actual news you'll like! My sweet little impatient duckling-" ,

"What did I say about not pushing the nickname?",

Baekhyun grinned at him, but his heart was dropping as he said the words,"I've found you your match!",

Jongdae's eyes widened a bit, he was taken aback.

He narrowed them soon afterwards in suspicion.

"Are you lying? Is this a prank?",

I wish, Baekhyun thought as he shook his head.

"I'm serious! I've found him!",

Jongdae waited for him to continue.

"His name is Kim Minseok",Baekhyun stated.

Jongdae was quiet for a moment processing that Baekhyun wasn't lying and he had really found him his match. His stomach started fluttering, whether it was from nerves or anticipation he wasn't sure.

"So, this Minseok...you're saying he's my match? Really? Is he cute?", Jongdae curiously asked.

"The cutest, he's quite handsome too. He's practically your other half", Baekhyun said being very very careful as to not let any bitterness seep into his voice.

"Oooh nice. Where is he? So I can ask him to the ball",

Baekhyun handed him a piece of paper with an address.

Jongdae noticed Baekhyun seemed a bit off but he noted it down to probably being tired from their days fixing up the temple.

"This is a cafe", Jongdae noted looking down at the address.

"Yes, it's where you'll meet him and where you'll fall for each other, happy ever after and all that", Baekhyun sighed, he had tried to make it sound like a fond sigh but it came out tired.

"Someone sounds grumpy", Jongdae commented teasingly,"Don't worry Baek, after this I'll be out of your hair", he smiled.

Baekhyun didn't respond, simply crossing his legs and giving Jongdae a smile that didn't seem all that genuine.

"Yeah I guess so, can you put on Friends?",

Jongdae frowned.

"Are you okay? You're acting weird",

"I'm alright", 

"You're obviously not. What happened?", Jongdae sat next to him. "Did the raccoons get into the temple again? I thought the foxes you befriended kept them at bay",

"It's not about raccoons", Baekhyun muttered.

"Then what's it about? I'm not a god but I'm sure I can try and help you",

Baekhyun knew it was wrong of him to act this way towards Jongdae, after all it was his own stupid fault falling for him. For crying out loud, he was a god, a love god who's supposed to help humans find their match, not try and be their match.

It hurt Baekhyun to know that Jongdae would go to the cafe and that he and Minseok would naturally click and things would work out so beautifully for them. He could see it, could see the way they would move and work together to create the picture of soul mates. He could see the way Minseok would wrap his arms around Jongdae's waist, how he would place tender kisses along his cheek and neck. How Jongdae would smile, his kitten lips letting out a small satisfied sigh. Baekhyun could see them on dates, at home in Jongdae's or Minseok's apartment. Legs tangled up, laughing and playfully fighting. He could see the arguments, the cold shoulders and tense silences but how easily they would be solved by a sincere heart to heart and with careful understanding and affection. He could see they were meant to be, and it was torture to Baekhyun's heart.

"Hey, hey, it's okay", Baekhyun flinched slightly as Jongdae touched his cheek wiping at the tears that had come out.

Baekhyun pulled away and rubbed at his eyes.

"I'm okay...I just...", the truth that Baekhyun wanted to say on the tip of his tongue, but he held the words back, "I'm really going to miss you when this is over", Baekhyun whispered softly instead, it wasn't a lie but it also wasn't everything he wanted to say.

Jongdae's eyes widened in surprise, he'd never seen Baekhyun look so sensitive, he was always joking and teasing, putting up a cheery and annoying front, almost as cheery and annoying as Chanyeol's.

Without a second thought Jongdae wrapped his arms around Baekhyun who although surprised and stiff at first eventually relaxed, leaning his head against Jongdae's shoulder.

"You won't have to miss me. I promise I'll visit your temple, and maybe you can even come visit me here. I don't want to lose you either",Jongdae admitted sheepishly.

Baekhyun smiled at that, his heart fluttering, as he closed his eyes, breathing in Jongdae's scent for a moment.

But realization dawned on him.

Jongdae is promising to visit him, Baekhyun is agreeing to visit Jongdae.

This is how it starts- no, it's not. Because Jongdae would be with Minseok.

Is that even better?

Or is it worse?

Baekhyun wasn't sure, but one thing he was sure of was that he liked being in Jongdae's arms. He liked the warmth Jongdae gave, he also liked feeling Jongdae's heart beat, steadily like a melody.

"Let's cuddle", He murmured as Jongdae chuckled, Baekhyun feeling the vibration of his chest as he did so.

"Isn't that what this is?",

"No, we both need to be comfortable. Also you need to bring food so we can watch Friends and cuddle even better",

Jongdae rolled his eyes and pulled away, standing.

Even if Baekhyun had ordered him to, he still missed his warmth.

"Fine, only because you're upset. Stay here, I'll make popcorn",

Baekhyun nodded and turned his eyes back to the TV.

After a moment he placed a hand to his chest, where his own heart beat quickly.

It wasn't wise for a god to fall in love with a human, he knew it was cursed,he knew that even if there was the slightest chance Jongdae might like him that it would all be gone out the door once he met his match Minseok, he knew that , he knew all of it, but like Yifan once had. He didn't care. He would enjoy what he could right now.