Emotions

Housemate

 

Author's POV

 

Hayoung's eyes wavered at the sight of her mother. She has not seen her in ages, since the day she graduated from college 7 years ago. She instinctively moved to shut the door but the lady was quicker, shifting her foot in between the gap.

"Hayoung-ah, please listen to me!" The lady begged as she struggled to keep the door open.

"I have no mother." The girl responded coldly.

Sensing something was up, Namjoo glanced over and noticed the sudden situation. She knew it wasn’t appropriate to intervene, especially when it’s between parent and child, but she felt that it was the right choice to do. She walked over, held the door and stood in front of Hayoung like a shield as she was now, face-to-face with her "mother-in-law".

"I'm sorry. She's in a bad mood right now. Could you come back a little later?" asked Namjoo with a fake smile across her face.

Noticing her presence, the lady scanned Namjoo briefly. She calmed down and decided to change her plans.

"Alright. I'll come back later." She sighed, bowed and left.

The older girl quickly closed the door shut, turned around only to see Hayoung walking over to the room.

"Are you okay?" she asked, holding onto her hand tightly. As the younger girl turned around, she was surprised. Hayoung was breaking out in cold sweat. She certainly did not look okay at all. "Hayoung-ah...you're..." Namjoo wanted to touch her face but the girl suddenly swatted her hand away, startling her.

"I'm going to take a rest. Sorry. I don't think we can visit your parents today." Hayoung bowed and retreated into her room, locking the door.

Left all alone in the living room, Namjoo was slightly confused at the whole situation. Who would've thought the day would turn into a complete 360-degree change? She had a lot of questions but felt that it would be too burdensome to ask them now. It worried her more, remembering Hayoung's grave expression on her face. The younger girl's eyes spoke of fright and fear.

Just what kind of history did she have with her parents?

Deciding to return back to her room since the plan was cancelled, Namjoo had ample time to think. Whenever she thought about it, Hayoung never talked about her parents nor about her family. In fact, their conversations were always initiated by the older girl herself. She talked so much about her own life that, she never got to know much about the younger one. Sometimes, she acts cold, indifferent, yet she can also be warm in many ways.

A mysterious, yet interesting girl.

Although she knew it's bad to stick her nose into the business of someone else's, it bothers her. Not because at the fact that they are going to get married, but because Hayoung had so many secrets.

All of a sudden, her phone was ringing. The caller, was an unknown number. For some reason, Namjoo had a strange feeling about this.

"Hello?" She answered.

"Hello, is this Kim Namjoo?"

"Yes, speaking. Who is this?"

"I'm Hayoung's mother."

Namjoo paused for a moment, trying to process the thought.

"W-What?!" Namjoo almost shouted out loud but covered just in time. "H-How did you get my number mi-I mean, mother..." The girl stuttered, her instinct kicking in as she realised it was necessary to address her "mother-in-law" properly.

"I got your number from Hayoung's grandmother."

Namjoo's eyes widened in confusion. How did that old lady even get her number in the first place?

Having connections, is scary.

"I see...."

"If it's okay with you, can I meet you at XXX Restaurant?"

"Now?"

"Yes."

Namjoo was at a loss. One part of her was telling her no, and the other, yes. As much as she was interested in Hayoung, it just wasn't right. Even though they were getting married, it was complicated. Their marriage was conceived simply because of money and the need for a house, never because of love. The fact that a binding contract has been established, there was no running away.

Secrets are bound to be revealed anyway.

"Okay. I'll meet you there." answered Namjoo.

 

 

 

Namjoo's POV

 

 

 

I lied to Hayoung, telling her that I was going out to meet my unnies in Hongdae. I'm sorry Hayoung. I arrived at the restaurant as directed and didn’t take long for me to spot Hayoung’s mother. I was a little nervous, since I had no idea what to expect. In fact, I could've just rejected her offer but why am I here instead? To find my answers? To be curious? Ah, I don't even know anymore. Whatever happens from now on, I'm just going to be me. Or maybe just act a little, I gotta hypnotise myself as a girl who's totally head over heels for Hayoung. Well, maybe that's half true.

"H-Hello..I hope that I didn't keep you waiting...mother..." I said in an awkward tone, bowing before taking my seat.

"No worries, I should be thanking you for coming to meet me." the lady said. Now that I've been able to get a good look at her, Hayoung totally got her beautiful genes from her mom. She's super pretty and young too! "Want some coffee or anything? Don't worry, it’s on me."

"Ah, it's okay. I ate breakfast with Hayoung earlier so I'm good."

"I see...." The lady hummed with a nod as I could already feel her eyes scanning me from head to toe. I'm already used to this kind of behaviour. Not sure if I'm like an object for sale or something, but I guess all of Hayoung's family members are all wondering how she even fall in love.

"I want to talk to you, Namjoo. Personally." She suddenly turned serious. Her smile disappeared. Okay, I'm starting to feel a little scared by her sudden drop in tone. I gulped in response, feeling my muscles all tensed up. It's alright Namjoo, you can do this.

"There are some things that I want to tell you because it would be important, especially since you're marrying her. But firstly, I wanted to confirm." She paused and looked straight into my eyes. "Do you love my daughter?"

My eyes widened at that question. Somehow, my heart skipped a beat as my stomach churned with nervousness. I didn't want to lie, especially in front of my in-law. I wanted to be truthful, whilst cunningly keeping our secret intact.

"I do. Although at times, she can be cold and doesn't express a lot, but she has a warm heart. Plus, she's really beautiful too. Just like you, mother!" I smiled. I had hoped it would bring a smile to the lady, but it was not what I had expected. Instead, her eyes began to water. Great job Kim Namjoo, you just made someone cry.

"That's a relief." she said with this sad gaze at me. Oh boy, what have I done?

"Mother...what's wrong?" I asked, taking a tissue for her.

"I'm glad that there is someone who can properly show love for my daughter...."

"Mother...."

"Namjoo, can you promise me something?" The lady suddenly reached out and held onto my hands tightly.

"W-What is it?"

"When I heard from Hayoung's grandparents that she is getting married, I just couldn't believe it. I thought that they were lying but it turned out to be true. I wanted to confirm it myself and I'm truly glad that my daughter has found someone like you. It's not that I oppose to the marriage, I support it. Don't worry about getting approval from her grandparents, you can leave that to me. But, I want you to promise me something." She paused.

"Can you promise me to make Hayoung happy?"

I looked at her for a few seconds, wondering what that question meant. But I already got my answer since the beginning. In fact, it was always my goal to make her happy.

"Of course!" I nodded with a smile.

"I know you've realised it already, but Hayoung doesn't express much. I'm sure you're probably wondering why she acts like this, when she too, is a human who has emotions."

"Did...something happen?" I asked.

"Hayoung...was concieved before I got married. In other words, she’s an accidental child." she confessed. Wow. So, this is going to be a story-telling time about Hayoung huh? Thank you mother, because of you, I can finally get all my questions, answered today. I listened to her carefully, taking note of every important detail. I wanted to understand Hayoung better, so that I will know how to treat her, look after her and perhaps, like her even more.

"Her birth was the only reason why I got married into the Oh family. Because we were so young and ambitious with work, I always neglected Hayoung and sent her off to her grandparents. All I cared about was making money for the family, and never about being with my daughter. I made a big mistake in my life and I know there's no turning back now. I'm...a terrible mother and I don't deserve to receive her forgiveness...." she explained, slowly sobbing.

My heart hurts, seeing her like this.

"You did your best." I said, trying to comfort her.

"I know Hayoung will forever resent me until I die. Even now, she refuses to look at me or even talk to me. It's been over 7 years since I've last met her, and she's still the same. When I heard that she was getting married, I wanted to hear the truth from her. But I know that meeting Hayoung, will only bring her pain. I am nothing but a scar in her life, I am a harbringer of her dark past and the only thing I can do is to stay and watch from far. But you, Namjoo,  can do the things I was never able to do as a parent. Making her happy." She continued as I felt her grasp tightening around my hands.

"Namjoo, can you do me a favour?" she asked.

I gulped. I knew it, she had a motive all along huh?

"Please." she begged.

 

 

 

Author's POV

 

 

 

Namjoo arrived home after a long meeting with Hayoung's mother. There was a lot to take in, things that she never knew about Hayoung and today, she finally found all of her answers. The only thing that is left, is her job. After all, she made a promise to make the girl happy and that's exactly what she will do.

She took her shoes off and glanced at Hayoung's door that is still shut. Worried, the girl approached carefully and knocked on the door.

"Hayoung-ah? Is everything okay?"

No response.

She decided to turn the knob, hoping that it wasn't locked. To her relief, it's open. Carefully, the girl entered and found Hayoung all cuddled up in her blanket, back facing towards her. This was Namjoo's first time visiting Hayoung's room and it looked much neater than she had expected. Enough space for two people to walk, a large cupboard and an organized desk with documents all stacked together, the girl wondered if she was OCD for a moment. But that’s not important right now.

Hayoung.

Namjoo has never seen Hayoung behaving like that before, almost like a teenager going through puberty and experiencing an influx of emotions.

"Hayoung-ah?" The girl quietly sat down in worry.

"Please. Leave."

Although her words felt so cold, like an arrow piercing through, it did not bother Namjoo at all, because she was used to this behaviour.

"I'm not leaving until you're fine." said Namjoo.

"I'm fine."

"Lies." The girl was persistent.

In that moment of continued silence, Namjoo suggested an idea.

"I know what I can do to make you better." she smiled with enthusiasm.

"Like what?"

"I'll take you there. It'll be a surprise."

"It's okay. It will expend to much resources going out." Hayoung mumbled under her blanket. "With my current situation and the timing, it will be a waste of energy walking out. It will be more efficient to recover and reflect-"

"Stop spouting nonsense and get up!" said Namjoo, flipping the blanket over, revealing a rather, perplexed but otherwise normal looking Hayoung. The older girl expected Hayoung to have cried or something, but indeed she had forgotten that she was not normal at all. She was still, the emotionless girl she knew, with a straight expression painted over her face.

But, even so, it brought the edges of her lips turning upwards. She loved how Hayoung couldn't say anything against her persistent attempts in dragging her out.

"Let's go somewhere fun." she said with a smile.

 

 

 

Namjoo's POV

 

 

 

With my arms tightly locked around hers, I hummed happily as I dragged Hayoung into the crowded streets of Hongdae. I know, it's totally not her style. She hates being in large crowds and in the vicinity of noisy places. But hey, if she just sulks in the corner of her bedroom, it's never going to work! But of course, before we go and have fun, we need to fill our tummies first!

As we approached a makeshift night market in the middle of the streets, there were many vendors selling a large variety of food, from fried snacks to finger-foods, wow, total paradise. I kept buying many goodies and handing them to Hayoung to hold while we walked and ate.

"Why aren't you eating anything?" I asked, noticing Hayoung just holding onto her food. Come on, does she have to be a robot that listens to my instructions and doesn't know how to act on her own? "Eat!" I teased, picking a fishcake stick and shoved it into . I laughed, finding her reactions absolutely hilarious. Her eyes widened in shock and slowly, her gaze softened as the juices from the fishcake gushed out and took her on an impromptu journey through food paradise.

"It's delicious right?" I asked in which she nodded. I can already see that she was feeling better, her eyes were more livlier.

Because we couldn't keep walking and holding containers of food, we found a bench and sat down. Placing them on my lap, I kept eating while enjoying the view. We were at the top of a hill that had a beautiful, panoramic look of Seoul city, perfectly blended with the aurora evening sky. I kept munching away and noticed Hayoung staring at me.

"Mm? What is it?"

Instead of saying in words, she used her fingers and pointed towards . Hm? Don't tell me... she wants to be fed?! I found it strange yet cute. I took one stick of rice cake and brought it to , but her head jerked backwards as her eyebrows furrowed in confusion. Ah, I guess she didn't mean that.

"You know, instead of doing sign language, you can just tell me straight." I said with a laugh. "Are you mute or something?"

"There's...something on your face...." she mumbled.

Ah. So that's what the finger-pointing was all about. I thought she wanted me to feed her. Gosh, I'm stupid. Now, she's going to think that I'm getting too close and friendly with her. Just as I was about to search through my purse and get a tissue, I felt something warm on my cheek. Looking up, I was surprised. I never thought she would do that.

Hayoung used her thumb and gently, wiped away the rice cake sauce from my cheek. It happened so quickly that I wished I had captured that moment longer. Looks like, I found another new side of Hayoung today.

"Thanks." I said in a freeze. Why does my heart pound at that? She's just helping me clean my face.

"Mm." She responded without much words again. Is she still feeling down after her mother's sudden appearance today?

"Hayoung-ah." The girl turned her head to face me.

"Are you feeling better?"

Hayoung nodded again. Really like, does she not want to talk to me today or something?

I sighed. "Sorry, I forced you to come out here with me. You probably feel uncomfortable right? I'm just some mean girl who is taking you out to places even though you feel terrible right now, especially with what happened today, gosh I'm so-"

"Thank you."

Did I hear that right? I turned to Hayoung with widened eyes.

"Hayoung-ah...."

"Thank you." She repeated. Man, I'm touched. I never thought I would hear those words from her. This, robot of mine. It would've made things so much better if she just said that, with a smile.

Unconsciously, my hands moved and I found myself forcing Hayoung to smile, by pulling her cheeks. I couldn't possibly touch her lips, otherwise I might remember back those moments again.

"You should learn to smile Hayoung-ah!" I said in frustration. "Like this!" I demonstrated, by showing her my smile. A wide grin. "Now, try it!" I said.

Hayoung looked at me blankly but I could see that she was making an effort to. Her lip muscles were trembling and in the end, her attempt at "smiling" caused me to break into a loud laugh. Oh my god, why is she so cute? I squealed a little inside. On the outside, she looks so cold and indifferent but inside, she's so warm and fluffly.

"It's okay. You can work harder to smile." I laughed off. "Smiling comes naturally."

"I see." answered Hayoung with a nod. I looked at her in surprise. Did I hear that right? Is she actually going to make an effort to express emotions now?! What?! Is she doing this because of me? Wow, Kim Namjoo, you are amazing.

 

 

 

Author's POV

 

 

 

A while after, the two girls headed to the row of shops and arrived at the entrance of an arcade room. It was already late into the night and there wasn't much people around. Hayoung froze while Namjoo was excited, pulling the girl in. However, the younger girl glued her feet to the ground.

"Come on, let's go in!"

"I'm not going."

"It's okay, I'm paying." said Namjoo. "So, let's go!" The girl used all her strength and pulled her in. Locking her arms again so that she wouldn't run away, they walked through the many game machines that awaited their attention. After exchanging game coins at the counter, Namjoo dragged Hayoung through the games in the arcade. The first one, a car racing game and followed by a shooting game. As they continued to play more games, it was slowly breaking the wall that the younger girl had put up. She was starting to show more of her inner self, the true her. In the midst of playing, Namjoo went to the toilet and left Hayoung to wander around the arcade. She had hoped to not return with the girl missing. But to her surprise, Namjoo found Hayoung seated with her eyes and hands focused onto a crane toy machine.

Observing her from behind, she smiled. It looks like her plan really worked. Just like what Hayoung's mom told her, games were the trick to her happiness. The key to unlocking her heart.

Hayoung was glued and kept her attention, often failing many times to get the toy, a minion plushie. Through this, Namjoo found it amusing as she saw the younger girl growing frustrated and angry. All of sudden, the claw moved downwards, grabbed one plushie and successfully plopped it into the hole.

"I got it!" shouted Hayoung in a truimphant shout, causing Namjoo to flinch. As she bent down and clutched the plushie tightly in her hands, she turned to face Namjoo with a smile. A smile. For the first time, Namjoo got to see Hayoung smile, so brightly and innocently. In a blank, Namjoo looked at her for a few seconds immersed at the fact of how beautiful her smile was. She was right. Hayoung is beautiful in all aspects, especially her super rare but pretty smile.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" asked Hayoung as her smile was short-lived. Soon, the girl was back to her emotionless state.

"Mmmm~ you liar~~" hummed Namjoo in a tease.

The younger girl looked at her confused, furrowing her eyebrows.

"You do have emotions, you liar!" laughed Namjoo.

Hearing her words, she realised what she has just done. The Hayoung who experienced actual happiness and smiled brightly for the first time, suddenly turned into a stone. She did it once again even though, she promised to never show it.

"My mom told you to do this, didn't she?" The girl asked, losing all of her smile.

The plushie which she had won and clutched so tightly, fell to the ground.

 

 

--

 


 

A/N: Hajoo were having such a nice date together, what went wrong? Is there more behind the story of Hayoung and the relationship with her family? Thank you for reading and I will update soon~