Proposal

Housemate

 

Namjoo's POV

 

"If you have time, would you marry me?"

 

I can't tell if I was already too intoxicated by the beer, or simply dreaming because I was exhausted. Randomly out of the blue, I couldn't even control what I was going to say.

 

"Yes."

 

Wait, what?

 

"I-I mean, what?! What did you just say?" I stuttered, completely in disbelief.

"Marriage." replied Hayoung as she looked at me with such a straight face. Heck, it didn't look like she was joking either.

"Me? Why-Why would we get married?! I mean there isn't anything wrong with girls marrying each other or not that I'm against that idea but us? The two of us are just housemates so....why?!" I asked in complete confusion.

Hayoung stared blankly at my question, blinked for a few seconds before shifting her gaze to somewhere else.

"Never mind. Forget that I asked such a question."

"Huh?"

"I must've made a mistake. Probably drank too much." she said. "Forget it."

A silence continued for awhile before she stood up.

"I think I need to get some sleep. Good night." she walked to her room and disappeared like that, leaving me in complete confusion.

Turning off the television, I escaped to my room, closed the door and buried myself under the blankets. Yes, this has to be a dream. A very weird dream. It just doesn't make sense. I don't even have an actual relationship with Hayoung, other than her being my housemate. We don't even talk much so why should I marry her? It doesn't add up!

As the house was completely silent, I could hear something in the far distance. The sound of a door locking. What?! Why is Hayoung locking her door? I'm the one who's supposed to do that in such a situation! I'm absolutely baffled.

Deciding that it wasn't worth to keep thinking about something so rhetorical, I decided to shut my eyes tight, hoping that all of this is just a weird dream.

But I know it's real. Everything that I heard from Hayoung, is true. She did ask that question truthfully, she was not joking and was strictly honest.

Just what is going on?!

 

 

 

Author's POV

 

 

 

Hayoung's routine continued like normal and pretended as if her random question, never happened at all. Comfortably in her couch with Bbang on her lap, she watched another round of shows for hours and hours. Occasionally she would check the time and glance at Namjoo's room, wondering why she wasn't waking up. Yet again, she felt that it would be rude to intrude and wake her up. After all, she believed that it would be a waste of effort because she had calculated a 98% probability Namjoo would ask her about last night. Deciding that it was a safer option to stay glued to her seat, it went on for hours and hours.

Afternoon arrived. Namjoo still wasn't awake or even step foot outside. As much as Hayoung would want to avoid these human emotions from bothering her, she assumed that as a housemate, it was normal to be concerned. She had tried to connect assumptions from last night, wondering if she was already awake and stayed inside because Namjoo felt that she was creepy for asking her to marry her. The girl proceeded to take her phone and sent one text message.

"Are you awake?"

Placing it down, Hayoung continued to watch her show while waiting for a reply. One hour passed. Nothing.

A sigh escaped. The girl decided to proceed to her next plan. Getting out of the house. She came up with a hypothesis that Namjoo was already awake and was already avoiding her by not coming out of her room. The biggest factor, her not replying her messages. She assumed that Namjoo was waiting for Hayoung to leave so that she could get out of her room. Having that in plan, Hayoung changed her outfit and left. Her destination? The supermarket. She assumed that it would be worth the time to make use of, by buying groceries.

Hoping that Namjoo would get out of her room by leaving, that was what Hayoung had assumed.

The girl spent about two hours, just strolling around the aisles of the supermarket. Mostly, she was calculating the costs of every item whilst considering the discounts and whatnot. She had to save the most money out of her own budget. Although she had to consider price, quality too had to be considered. This is why she hated shopping. She hated how the world constantly evolved around money. Without money, nothing can be bought. Basic necessities would prove to be a problem to own, if there was no money to buy it.

After much thought, Hayoung bought the necessary groceries and came back home. Most of it, were Bbang's pet food. As she arrived back home, the first thing she did was to glance at Namjoo's door. It was still closed. Looking at the entrance, her shoes were still there. Hayoung tilted her head in thought. Has she been sleeping this whole time? Although it is possible for an individual to sleep for a long time, but people sleep more when they are depressed. Did something happen?

Hayoung shook her head. She felt that it was wrong to intrude the business of her own housemate. Putting the groceries into the fridge, it didn't take long before the girl was back in the exact, same position. Hours passed. 4pm. Now, 5pm. It was then, finally, there was a creaking sound. Namjoo is awake.

Seeing her roommate with disheveled hair, she greeted Namjoo with a slight bow.

"Morning......" mumbled Namjoo as she bowed back.

"Evening."

Namjoo stared at her confused.

"What?"

"You've been sleeping for a long time. It's 5pm."

"Huh?!"

Hayoung proceeded to stretch her arm and point towards the clock, hanging against the wall.

"I-I slept for....." Namjoo counted her fingers. "14 hours?!"

The younger girl nodded in response.

"B-But that can't be I-" Before Namjoo could even continue, the grumble of her stomach was louder than her words. "Ah...."

The two girls exchanged a silent stare afterwards. Namjoo shyly rubbing her stomach while Hayoung looked somewhere else. Clearly, these two roommates were still in a very awkward position.

They ended up seated at the dining table. Each with a cup noodle and an hourglass at the edge. They waited patiently for their noodles to cook in the midst of the on-going silence. Namjoo fiddling her chopsticks while Hayoung looked somewhere else.

"H-Hayoung-ah..." Namjoo asked nervously.

The younger girl simply looked at her in response.

"Why did you ask me to marry you?"

"I told you to just forget about it-"

"But I heard it. Loud and clear." said Namjoo, looking straight into her eyes.

Hayoung let out a sigh.

"Let's eat. Otherwise, it will be overcooked." The girl wanted to avoid the question as she took her chopsticks, pulled the cover of the cup out and began shoving the noodles into .

"Do you....." Namjoo continued to stare at her. "Like me?" she asked.

Hayoung paused, as noodles were halfway through and stared back into her eyes.

Another round of silence followed as the younger girl gulped down her food and placed the chopsticks on the table.

"No." she said coldly.

"Then....why?" asked Namjoo with confused eyes.

"It's because I need to." Hayoung said. "I need to marry you." she continued, with an unchanging expression.

"But why me? Out of everyone else?"

"I simply asked that as a question. If I were to marry someone, I would choose you." she said with a pause. "Out of all of the housemates that I have had, you are the most compatible. There is a need that I have to satisfy which is this house, and the debts that I owe. You on the other hand, need a place to stay without a deposit. That makes us on perfect terms."

"Marrying just because of a house, isn't that a bit-"

"Then why do you think people marry?"

"Because of love and affection."

"Is that what you need most right now?" asked Hayoung that placed the older girl into a corner.

"I....." Namjoo was at a loss of words. She never thought a girl younger than her, would put her into such a position.

"Let's just eat and pretend this conversation never happened." Hayoung picked her chopsticks and continued eating. This left the older girl in deep thought as she too, decided to eat.

It was quiet in the apartment house where only the sound of the clock ticking away, echoed.

 

 

 

Namjoo's POV

 

 

 

My housemate, is really unpredictable. I can't believe she would make me enter into this new world of thinking. Sitting in the back of the taxi, I was now on my way to meet up with the unnies. I had a lot to tell them about because so many things happened since the last time we met. It was the usual place, Chorong unnie's restaurant. No, she doesn't own it. She just works there as the head manager. Quite a suitable position for a scary person like her. hope she didn't hear that.

"Sit down Namjoo-ya, I have some work to do first." greeted Chorong unnie as she gave me the menu and went away to tend to some customers. We had visited this restaurant so many times that I had amemorized the whole menu. I know exactly what I want and the best part is that I didn’t have to pay.

"As always, you're early." greeted Naeun unnie as she settled down. She too, was always the same. Arriving in her office wear, feet in tall heels and her ever-still neat ponytail, a perfect representation of a hardworking office woman. Right, how can I forget that she looked really pretty in that?

"Did the boss held you back today?" I asked.

"Totally. Luckily, I escaped halfway so he didn't see me or I wouldn't be able to make it today." sighed Naeun unnie as she untied her ponytail, allowing her hair to be free. "So, shall we just have the usual?"

"Yep!" I nodded.

Soon, Chorong unnie ordered our meals and settled down. Don't worry. She's off duty at exactly 7pm, which is right now.

"So, how's everyone doing?" asked Chorong unnie with a smile.

"Well, how about you start first?" I smirked.

"What do you mean?"

"Oh come on unnie, you made up with Bomi unnie again right?" I teased.

Naeun unnie and I exchanged glances with a grin after noticing Chorong unnie getting all shy.

"Mm....we're back together again....." she mumbled.

"Of course, you two are inseparable. Being in love must be really nice huh?" asked Naeun with sad eyes.

"Well, why don't you start being serious and find the Mr.Perfect then? I still don't get why a pretty girl like you hasn't got a boyfriend yet." said Chorong unnie.

"Ah....about that....." Naeun unnie's eyes suddenly faltered.

"What? Don't tell me...." I said, excited.

"No. It's not that." sighed Naeun unnie. "Where do I start? You want the long story or the short one?"

"Short one." replied Chorong unnie.

"Okay." said Naeun taking a deep breath. I had a one night stand."

"WHAT?!" I shouted in shock only to find Chorong unnie covering my mouth.

"Naeun-ah." said Chorong unnie with widened eyes.

"I know, I screwed up. I still haven't gone to the worst part of this story."

"What?"

"It wasn't a guy. It was a girl."

"UNNIE-" I literally wanted to shout and scold her but Chorong unnie pulled me back. Sometimes, Naeun unnie is full of surprises. She may look really delicate and quiet on the outside but you won't know what she'll do.

"Let's hear it Naeun-ah." said Chorong unnie calmly.

"It happened just two days ago actually. I was at the bar and I met this girl drinking alone. I was really stressed because the boss scolded me again so she tried to cheer me up. It honestly worked. Well, we kinda clicked and were already a little drunk at that moment." explained Naeun unnie, as if she had made the biggest mistake in her life. "I invited her to my house. I don't even know why on earth I did that for. And well, you know the rest." she continued before taking a sip from the wine glass.

"Unnie. You live a really wild life." I said.

"Stop going to bars and nightclubs Naeun-ah. If you need a place to release your stress, alcohol isn't always your answer you know." said Chorong unnie.

"But you're always drinking beer" mumbled Naeun unnie to which I could see Chorong unnie hesistating a little, as if she was about to hit her. But I know she wouldn't. If Chorong unnie was the mom, Naeun unnie would be her favourite daughter.

"How is it living with your housemate Namjoo-ya?" asked Chorong unnie, trying to change the topic.

"Oh......" So it's my turn now. Where do I start? Do I tell them that my housemate, Oh Hayoung just proposed to me in the most unromantic way ever? Do I tell them that I quit my job or do I tell them that my 3-year crush, Kim Minjae is getting married? Wow, since when was my life this dynamic?

Anyways, I decided to release the bombs one by one, according to the level of seriousness. The first being, my heartbreak. It was okay. It didn't hurt that much anymore, probably because my mind had been so occupied over Hayoung's random marriage proposal.

The unnies were all comforting me and telling me that there are more guys out there in the world. They're right. What's the point of holding onto a love that never had a hope in the beginning? Anyways, I moved onto the topic of my quitting. Well, not officially since I just acted all dramatic and stormed off like that. Everyone in my office probably hates me now. Of course, the unnies were more shocked because they knew that my dream since childhood was to be a writer. All I'm doing is throwing everything down the drain. But I'm done. I love writing so much, but I never knew a day would come where I would hate it. It wasn't because of me, but because of the people.

"But Namjoo-ya, if you quit now, what are you going to do? You still need a job if you want to survive in this world." said a concerned Chorong unnie.

"You want me to ask my cilents? I'll see if I can get you a job." Naeun unnie suggested.

"It's okay unnie. I made a decision already." I said. Honestly, I slept for a long time today that I managed to sort out my thoughts, my feelings. I came to a final conclusion that would probably surprise them.

"I'm going back to my hometown and work at my father's restaurant." I said.

"What? You can't be serious Namjoo-ya." said Chorong unnie in complete disbelief.

"You came all the way here to Seoul and studied so hard. You can't just leave like that." said Naeun unnie.

"Mm, I know but I feel like I just need some time."

The unnies exchanged glances with each other and sighed in unison.

"Very well. If that is what our Namjoo has decided, there's nothing we can do." said Chorong unnie as she patted my head.

"Even though you're going to be very far away from us, let's video call often okay?" smiled Naeun unnie.

"Promise!" I nodded.

In the end, I never told them about Hayoung's proposal. Well, they probably couldn’t take too much at a time. I didn’t think it will happen anyways. After all, Hayoung told me to forget it and I'm a person who keeps her word.

 

 

 

Hayoung's POV

 

 

 

I don't have a lot of time left, before this week ends. Time continues to tick by, that's why it is precious. At that moment, there was a buzz on my phone.

"I'm coming home soon. Are you going to sleep early tonight?" -Namjoo

"No. Why?"

"I have something to say."

"You can just say it here."

"But it wouldn't feel convenient through text."

"It's okay. You can say it now."

"I would like to cancel our contract. The reason is because I decided to quit my job and return back to my hometown."

"Very well. I will transfer your rent back to you. I wish you all the best."

"Thank you."

I placed my phone back with a sigh. I made a huge mistake. I shouldn't have asked that question. It hasn't even been a week but now, I have made my own housemate leave because of my reckless actions. I've already made so many faults in my life, I can't afford to make another one again. Looks like I will have to start looking for another housemate to fill the gap.

 

 

 

Author's POV

 

 

 

Things got busy for Namjoo. Upon the arrival of the next day, she left early with confidence to her office. Stepping inside the room of her superiors with an air of confidence, she simply placed a resignation letter on the desk and left without a word. She ignored everyone in the office, even her now, former assistant Kim Minjae.

"Alright Kim Namjoo. You're doing a great job so far." The girl mumbled to herself as she walked to the train station and returned back to her apartment building. Greeting Hayoung awkwardly, she returned to her room to pack her items. First, her clothes then her personal belongings, she wanted to be quick and leave Seoul immediately. She had planned to take the bus that evening, meaning there wasn't a lot of time. After a few hours, she was ready. Looking around the room she had lived for the past few days, honestly it was a good place. It was a pity that she was never going to live here again.

"Let's go." She mumbled to herself as she dragged her suitcase outside.

"Namjoo unnie."

"Oh! You scared me!" said Namjoo, startled as she didn't notice Hayoung standing beside her.

"Here." The younger girl handed her the exact cash of her rent.

"Thank you." bowed Namjoo as she took it, before exchanging a glance.

"I'm sorry." said Hayoung.

"For what?"

"I must've made you uncomfortable."

"Oh no, it was never about that. Remember, I'm leaving because I quit my job." said Namjoo.

"Ah...I see." said Hayoung as she took a deep breath, her hand placed against her chest.

Watching Hayoung's relieved expression was new because the girl didn't have a lot of emotions. This caused Namjoo to break into a laughter.

"You're cute." smiled Namjoo. "Thank you for accommodating me. It was really nice to get to know you even though you're probably one of the weirdest girls I've met. Maybe one day, we'll meet again."

"Have a safe trip." bowed Hayoung.

"Thank you!" said Namjoo as she took one last look at the girl, before closing the door.

It was set. There was no turning back now.

During the journey to the bus terminal, Namjoo was given a lot of time to think about many things. There were often moments where she wondered if this was right choice because she knew deep inside that, she will never be happy working at her father's restaurant. But then, what can she do? She quit her job and it's hard to find a company that will hire inexperienced writers because of the competitive market. She was still very hesitant. Upon reaching, she purchased her ticket and waited outside. Watching the people around her, there were couples, group of friends that were getting ready for a vacation and families too. It seemed like she was the only one going back to her hometown for a different purpose. Everyone was going for something that will make them happy, but for some reason, she felt like she was going back to hell.

"Bus 456 is ready. Passengers who are headed to Gapyeong, please enter now. The bus will leave in 5 minutes." The radio at the terminal announced in a loud echo.

Namjoo stood up, took her suitcase and lined up to place it under the boot of the bus. Heading inside, she sat next to the window and observed the people outside.

"Everyone looks so happy except for me. I'm the only one that's sad. Why is that so?"

Even until now, she was confused. Lost.

It was then, she saw someone familiar in the crowd. No way. It can't be.

"Hayoung?"

She appeared to be looking for someone, while holding some items in her arms.

The older girl headed down.

"Hayoung?" she asked, facing the girl.

"Here. You left these in your room."

In her arms, were stacks of scripts piled together. They were the unfinished work of Namjoo's, the drama that got scrapped and were the main reason for her decision to quit.

"Ah...thank you Hayoung-ah. You came all the way here to give me these?" The girl asked surprised.

"Yes." She responded like a robot.

Namjoo looked at her for awhile. She had been wondering about so many things today. She had done crazy things, should she just do something even more crazy?

"I'll get going now. You will miss your bus." said Hayoung as she bowed and turned around.

"Wait!" said Namjoo as she held her hand.

The younger girl turned around, looked at her hand before staring at her with wide eyes. It was strange to have someone holding her hands. A weird feeling for Hayoung.

"I have something to ask you. But you have to tell me your answer immediately okay?"

"Alright." nodded Hayoung.

Namjoo hesistated but her lips moved first.

"Will you marry me?"

Hayoung's eyes widened at the question as she stayed silent for a couple of seconds.

"Please hurry! The bus might leave without me!"

It only took another set of seconds before the younger girl had her answer.

"Yes." answered Hayoung.

 

 

--

 

 


 

A/N: Hajoo are actually....going to get married?! Not for love, but for a house? Now, their relationship is about to get more complicated than ever~ Meanwhile, Naeun's going wild having a one night stand with not a man, but a woman! Kudos if you can guess who it is ;) Thank you for reading, I'll update soon