Longing

Housemate

 

Hayoung's POV

 

I should've known,

Falling in love is a mistake.

It has been a week since Namjoo cancelled our contract and just like that, she's gone.

Her room is now empty, her scent is missing. But why do I find myself coming back, just glancing aimlessly into the space where the memories we spent together were still fresh like yesterday? Even with her absence, life just goes on normally like that.

I wake up every morning, head to work and return only to sleep. Bbang is still there by my side but even so, it feels so empty.

I never got to ask her why because I was afraid.

Afraid that I was her reason to leave.

I don't even know anymore.

As days go by, it seems as if meeting Namjoo was all a dream. She was like a temporary happiness that fleeted by, messing my heart into the disoriented state of what it is now. Often, I find myself thinking deeply and recalling back those moments at the hospital.

Was it stress the cause? Or could it really be that I have came to be a burden to her that she has decided our relationship isn’t what it was cut out to be from the beginning?

Am I just not ready?

Because I am still incapable of expressing my feelings properly, she feels frustrated being in a relationship with me? I was always on the receiving end of her love and never got to reciprocate.

Without realising, I became a piece of trash casted away  because I could not love her better.

I am not a good wife nor a good girlfriend.

As I sat down onto her bare mattress that was now white and devoid of its sheets, my hands reached out instinctively towards an illusionary figure of her, imagining that she was sleeping comfortably under the covers, her chest heaving rhythmically with every breath.

I longed to look upon her heart melting smile, listen to her hearty laughter echoing through the house and cup her lovely face with my hands.

I miss her.

Something warm and moist just rolled down my cheek.

Tears.

This can't be?

I'm crying?

I was about to wipe my tears when I felt a pain in my chest. Like a knife plunging in deep into me and twisting itself in my innards, I felt light headed and breathless as I broke down. Burying my face onto the mattress, I gasped uncontrollably as tears continued flowing endlessly and soaking through the layered foam. Time was forgotten as I gave in to the despair and sadness tearing through me as I cried and cried.

It felt like I was being choked to death.

This is what it feels to be heart-broken.

It is a pain like no other.

"Namjoo unnie...." I sobbed.

"I miss you so much."

 

 

 

 

 

Author's POV

 

 

"So how long are you going to stay here?" inquired Chorong as she looked over at Namjoo sitting on her couch with a laptop on her lap. She was typing away, working on a new script her boss had assigned her.

"I don't know. Maybe forever." mumbled Namjoo, her bangs swept up and tucked away with a bright yellow headband. She was in her comfortable pink polka-dot pyjamas, having just woken up and helping herself to a sumptuous warm, home-cooked breakfast thanks to Chorong.

"Hey, if that's the case I'm gonna have to charge you rent."

"It's a joke unnie-OUCH!"

"You think it's a good time to joke?" sighed Chorong after giving her a good whack on the head as she slid onto the chair beside her, occasionally shifting her attention over to a cooking show on the TV. "I don't want to be responsible for a runaway kid."

"Um excuse me, I'm employed and have an actual job?"

"Well, what about a home?"

"I have you~" said Namjoo in a cutesy tone, leaning forward to hug Chorong.

"And Hayoung?"

"........"

Namjoo went silent upon the mention of her name.

"You can't just run away from this forever. Sure, I'm a little mad that you hid the fact that the two of you were under a contractual relationship but, you love her don't you?"

"Unnie..." sighed the younger girl as she leaned back upwards.

The day Namjoo left the apartment, she headed straight for Chorong's house. It was late into the night and a confused Chorong kindly offered her a place to stay until she gets her problems sorted out. At first, the older girl thought it was just a normal lovers’ quarrel. But eventually, Namjoo decided to confess.

Everything about their actual relationship, the contract and also, Hayoung's mysterious family. She felt the need to let it all out as it was suffocating to keep telling lies.

"What are you planning to do? Forget about her just because she's a murderer?"

"It's not that..."

"Then what? Did her father explained the full story to you? For all you know, he could be setting you up."

"W-What do you mean unnie?"

"Namjoo-ya." The older girl warmly held onto her hands and looked straight into her eyes. "Father-in-laws are like that. It's a test to determine if your relationship is worthy enough. Besides, with the amount of money and power he has, it’s obvious he wants to ensure that his daughter has the right “man” for her."

"As if..." scoffed Namjoo, not buying the idea.

"Well, you left the house without a word. Not a single explanation to Hayoung as to why you wanted to cancel the contract. You're confused yourself. Don't talk about Hayoung not objecting against it, she accepted your decision obediently." she said. "If only Bomi would listen to me like how Hayoung did to you." she sighed.

"I-I did give a reason!"

"Yeah sure, being tired is a cowardly reason."

"Unnie-"

"Talk to her. Why are you being so frustrating? How would you feel if you were the one being abandoned with that lousy of a reason?"

"I'm scared." said Namjoo. "How can I be with a murderer whose father is the country's most wanted man?"

"Do you love her?" asked Chorong.

There was silence. The girl was still confused herself.

It was just getting complicated. She wasn't sure where to go at this point. She unconsciously chose the easy way out by running away and having no need to make a decision. Fearing that the unpredictability of the outcome from the decision would bring her world upside down.

She reflected back on the time where she was living a normal life with Hayoung. It didn't matter if she came from a dangerous family because they weren’t threatened at all. There were no shady men in black descending onto their apartment, nor were there men in blue showing up with questions.

All this while, Hayoung has been living as a normal person.

"Why don't you just continue to live happily with Hayoung than worrying over this?"

Mrs.Oh's words echoed loudly in her head.

She's right.

Why was she overthinking and assuming things? Even if Hayoung did murder someone, she would have to know the full story first. In fact, she had been lying to Hayoung when she was actually snooping around investigating Oh Sehun.

She is the one at fault.

But she did all of these because she loved her.

She loves her.

"Namjoo-ya?"

Chorong looked on with concern at Namjoo who was lost in her thoughts. She was startled when Namjoo sprang up suddenly from her seat.

"Unnie, I'll be back late today." said Namjoo as she scrambled to gather her things. "You don't have to cook dinner for me, just hang out with Bomi unnie or something!" she continued as she rushed out to the entrance, shovelled into her shoes and slamming the door shut.

"Do it right this time, Namjoo-ya." smiled Chorong.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hayoung's POV

 

 

 

"Why don't you take the day off?"

"What do you mean?" I asked Eunji unnie. "We still have to work on the bugs collected from the last set of reports as well as-"

"Hayoung-ah." She stopped me and grabbed me by the shoulders and pulled me up. "Come here." She ushered me into her office. This rarely happened. In our “code”, going into the CEO's office meant big trouble. Even if Eunji unnie is a friend, she still is the boss.

I watched as she came in after me and closed the door, then let out a sigh.

"Don't just stand there. Sit down."

"Right."

I guess she had an idea of what's going on. I rarely show my emotions openly like this but now, I’m nursing a broken heart and my mind’s not in the right place. I'm not sure how long it will take to heal but it would definitely affect my focus at work.

"I heard what happened."

"Like what?"

"It's funny how things spread so fast like that. It started from Namjoo herself, then Chorong unnie. And that girl made a wrong decision telling it to her dumb girlfriend cause she in turn told me everything." Eunji said in a calm tone. "I can't believe you did that."

"Did what?" I asked, dumbfounded.

"That you signed a contractual relationship with Namjoo!"

She sounds frustrated.

I guess my rash decision didn't just affect her but everyone within the circle.

Maybe it's best if I pretended that Namjoo never existed. All I did was make her life miserable because she had to adapt to living with a robot. This was all a lie and with the contract over, she can be free.

If she is happy, then that is all it mattered.

"Hayoung-ah!"

I jumped out of my thoughts.

"H-Huh?"

"Gosh, it's been awhile since I've seen you act like that." said Eunji crossing her arms. "Are you going to just let her go?"

"......"

I have don’t know how to answer to that question. I'm just confused and lost. Maybe I just need a long sleep to clear my mind, perhaps this is all a nightmare.

"Yes." I mumbled. The word felt heavy.

"Did she tell you anything?"

I shook my head in reply. It was becoming increasingly hard to reply. How I wish Eunji unnie could just leave me be. I want to return to the same robot who has led a monotonous and uneventful life.

A life where experiencing such complex emotions were not needed.

"I don't understand you Hayoung-ah. How can you just let her go like that? Have you been faking your love all along?"

It was never fake. It was real. I did have feelings for her, but I was afraid that one day, she would leave me. Just like now.

"Answer me!"

Yeah, this is all a dream.

I wandered wordlessly over to the corner where Eunji unnie’s prized alcohol collection were displayed.

"Hey, what are you doing?"

I ignored her calls and pulled out the biggest bottle.

If I can get drunk, I can wake up from this dream. I'm tired of this feeling, it's suffocating me.

"Hayoung-ah! Wait!"

I yanked the cap off and took a deep swig.

Complete blackness followed.

 

 

 

 

 

Namjoo's POV

 

 

 

So here I am, back at this place. Moonbean Residences. It brings back many memories just by looking at the building.

I can still remember vividly of our first meeting here, how I was completely bewildered that robots are actually real. The time when my heart was broken by Minjae and how I made a reckless decision to quit my writing job, you healed me with a can of beer and that was how we got started. A marriage proposal at the most random timing. I still laugh wondering how funny it was and how I was so willing to say yes.

A contract that brought us closer and eventually, we fell in love.

But because of this, I began to unravel your closely guarded secrets and now, I'm scared. And I just ended things abruptly because I was afraid of what I found.

Yet, you didn't say anything.

You simply nodded your head and went through the formalities. In the end, it was like our relationship never existed.

But I never got to ask for your explanation.

That's why, I am here.

Gosh, if only I was brave enough to recite all that. I sighed, still hesistant to take the next step forward. It has been almost half an hour and I'm pacing around outside the foyer, my heart is going crazy. I have not returned for a week, how would Hayoung feel if I would suddenly reappear and be like “Hey, can we talk?”

It was then, I could hear the thud of a car door closing in the distance. I looked towards the direction to see a familiar face.

Eunji unnie?

Wait, she's holding someone.

Hayoung?

Immediately, I found myself running towards her.

"Wow, great timing." said Eunji in a sarcastic tone.

"W-What is...?"

"Take her." she said, suddenly shoving an unconscious Hayoung into my arms. "You two should sort things out."

"W-Wait! What happened to her?"

"She's gone crazy! She downed my favourite whiskey in one go!"

"She-what?!"

"I don't know what happened between the two of you but just get it solved. I've never seen Hayoung acting like this before and I'm pretty sure you're the cause. Goodbye." sighed Eunji in a somewhat angry tone. Her eyes looked like she could kill someone.

She must be really pissed but worried for Hayoung at the same time.

As I watch her storm off and jump back into her taxi, all I have now is Hayoung in my arms.

For all my hesitation, she's here right before me.

I know that this robot has a really high alcohol tolerance so it's already amazing to see her drunk.

I guess fate just pulls us together huh?

 

 

 

 

 

 

Author's POV

 

 

 

Namjoo managed to drag Hayoung back to her apartment with much effort. The security password to the door was thankfully still the same. she brought the younger into her room and tucked her in. The drunk robot was silent, barely moving but breathing. She was like a statue, betrayed only by the crimson flush on her face.

Somehow, Namjoo found herself staring at Hayoung. It had only been a week since they were apart, but she realised how badly she missed her. Observing her facial features, she noticed the robot's swollen eyes, evidence that she had been crying. It was a surprise to think that the robot she knew, was experiencing such emotions because of her sudden decision. She felt sorry for putting her through hell.

She went out to lock the front door, intending to stay over the night as she couldn’t bear to leave Hayoung like that.

The time was 4 pm.

She walked around inspecting the house.

It was a mess.

Dirty plates left in the sinks, the bin is stuffed with all sorts of trash and visible clumps of dust and hair on the floor. Indeed, the house has turned into a war-zone without Namjoo around. Despite the mess, it is still amazing how the robot never forgets to feed Bbang. His bowl was in fact, the cleanest object in the whole house and the dog was comfortably relaxing on the couch as if nothing happened.

"Did you miss me Bbang?" asked Namjoo with a chuckle, somehow speechless at the condition of the house. "How about you help me out here?"

Bbang simply barked in response and jumped down from the couch, wagging his tail as he followed Namjoo around. She busied herself cleaning the place up. Cleaning itself was time-consuming and soon, it was already dark. The girl would occasionally check in on Hayoung but the robot was still knocked out by the strong liquor. In the end, Namjoo cooked dinner with whatever was left in the fridge, took a shower and dressed herself with clothes from Hayoung's cupboard.

"I'm going to tell you everything tomorrow. So please, give me the answers I need. Tell me that you are not a murderer, Hayoung-ah." mumbled Namjoo as she carefully climbed into bed beside her, turning to face directly at the girl.

Being this close to Hayoung sent Namjoo into flutters again. She took in every detail of her beautiful face. The perfectly sculptured nose, her long feathery eyelashes and her luscious lips that would've felt very soft when kissed, she missed all of these features.

She missed her.

There was no denial that she is still very much in love with Hayoung.

Suddenly, Hayoung's eyes fluttered opened.

The two girls were now directly looking at each other in close proximity that they could feel each other’s breath. Namjoo froze, unsure what to expect.

"Finally, you're appearing in this dream." Hayoung mumbled as she stared blankly at a confused Namjoo. But the older girl decided not to say anything.

"You're so mean." The younger girl continued her mumbles. "How can you do this to me? I am in so much pain." Tears began to flow down her cheeks. "Don't leave me unnie."

"I'm not going anywhere Hayoung-ah."

"Lies. They're all lies." She sobbed. "Once I wake up, you won't be there anymore. And I won't be able to go see you because I am afraid. It's all my fault right? Because I am too incompetent, I don't deserve your love. All I do is make you upset, frustrated and stressed."

"Hayoung-ah....."

The girl then, leaned her face forward and gently pressed her lips onto Namjoo’s. It was a gentle, delicate kiss. A kiss that was afraid of landing onto hers. But a kiss that yearned for her love.

The older girl decided to stay still and simply felt Hayoung’s lips tickling onto her lower lip.

Soon, the robot began to zone out and fall back into her slumber. The alcohol was really taking a toll on her and in the end, Namjoo was left to take in Hayoung's confession. She was confused yet flustered.

Namjoo had thought that Hayoung was mad that she left without a word. She thought that maybe, the girl decided to let go because she too understood that their relationship would never work. But all of that was wrong.

It was a misunderstanding.

And Namjoo blamed herself for it.

She never intended for Hayoung to be hurt.

"I'm sorry." she said, tears forming in her eyes. "You're right. I'm a really mean person." Namjoo reached out and cupped Hayoung's cheek. Using her thumb to wipe Hayoung's tears away, she held onto this warmth she had missed dearly.

Finally knowing what was needed to be done, Namjoo made a decision.

 

 

 

 

 

Hayoung's POV

 

 

 

I could feel myself returning back to reality. Is the nightmare finally over? Opening my eyes to the white ceiling that I had always seen, my head felt heavy. Right, all of that is just a dream. Namjoo appearing is just a dream. All of that is fake and here I am, back to this dull life. I got up, dragged my feet out into the living room and headed towards the fridge to get a can of beer.

Honestly, I don't really care what happens to me anymore. What is the point of living if she is no longer in my life?

"You're awake."

Wait.

That voice.

I turned to my left to see a girl seated at the couch, comfortably petting Bbang that was lazing on her lap. Am I still in a dream? What is she doing there?

"Come on, I'll make breakfast for you." she stood up and walked towards me with a smile. "You should go wash up. You stink." she tapped my shoulder and headed to the kitchen.

I simply stared at her, bewildered. I bet my eyes would pop out of their sockets if they were any wider.

I'm confused.

Dumbfounded, I grabbed my sleeve and took a whiff. Yeah, it does smell bad.

But, why?

Why is she here?

 

 


 

A/N: Namjoo, please make it right and end this pain Hayoung is suffering from! We are one chapter away from the finale, will Hajoo make it in the end? Thank you for reading and I will update soon :)