Indifferent

Housemate

 

Namjoo's POV

 

It's been a week since our wedding. Still quite hard to believe that I'm married now. Married, to my housemate. Yet, why do I feel so disappointed? I don't know. Honestly, Hayoung has been acting indifferent since. It's as if everything that we went through together in those past weeks was nothing to her. Erased completely like a delete button on a computer. Wow.

Or is it just me?

Being newly married normally would mean embracing a new chapter in our lives together and all sorts of lovey dovey perks that comes along. At least, that's the norm of what the society says. Guess I have to be reminded that our marriage is anything but normal. It was never an union borne out of love. It is a contractual marriage, because we needed a roof over our heads and the means to pay for it. We're so financially unstable that we didn't even have a honeymoon planned out.

Why am I feeling like this? It's as if I'm waiting for something to happen. Am I yearning for something more than what was agreed upon when we decided on this sham?

I sighed, staring at the plate of kimchi fried rice that I had made myself this morning. I'm just a jobless, 31-year old married woman moping around in this empty house, since Hayoung's back to work. Oh and in case you're wondering, Hayoung informed that my application for a position in her company was rejected. Reason? It's simple.

 

 

[Flashback]

 

"Namjoo...unnie.." said Hayoung awkwardly as she look at me. It felt like she was finding the right moment to start a conversation with me because this robot was just too easy to read.

"Hm?"

"Remember when I told you about asking my boss, Eunji unnie and see if she wouldn't mind having you to work for our company as a writer?"

"Oh yeah, how did it go?"

"Well..." Ah, I knew it. Her eyes already spoke of the bad news. "I'm sorry. She says no because it violates the policy of our company. A married couple shouldn't be working together."

"It's okay Hayoung-ah. I can always find other jobs. Thanks for asking though." I smiled it off, before heading into my room. It's not like I can expect anything. I didn't want to pressure Hayoung anymore, she's done a lot for me already. I didn't want to be spoon-fed, I wanted to settle my own problems by myself.

 

[End of Flashback]

 

 

But even so, how am I supposed to find a job? From all the places that I've applied the last few weeks, I was rejected for the most annoying reason. Age. I mean, it's true. In this society, everyone wants young blood because they are cheap and are perceived as being more productive. No one would want me. Who will?

I grumbled in frustration, shaking my legs as I crashed back onto the couch, flipping through the same set of channels again. I want to help out too. I can't be unemployed forever. Hayoung's can't be the sole breadwinner in this house, there would be too much burden for her to handle.

It was then my phone rang. I don't know why but secretly, I was hoping it to be Hayoung. But it wasn't. Of course, what could I expect? My “wife”, has absolutely no interest in me at all. She simply sees me as a housemate, nothing more, nothing less. Everything that we did, the kiss-

Okay. Namjoo, stop thinking about that stupid kiss and answer the damn call.

"Hello?" I picked up.

"Hi. Is this Kim Namjoo?"

"Yes. Who is this?"

"Hello Kim Namjoo-ssi, I am a representative from JTBC. This is with regards to your online application. Are you available for an interview?"

"OH MY-" I cleared my throat and calmed myself down. Holy crap. JTBC?! Isn't that one of the cable tv networks in the country? If they're calling me, that means I could be a writer for their dramas?! "Y-Yes, of course!"

"Great! Is it fine if you can come to the office after lunch today?"

"Definitely! I'll be there!"

"Wonderful. See you there, Kim Namjoo-ssi."

This is my only chance! I've got to ace this interview and get the job! With that, I quickly rushed back into my room and rummaged through my cupboard. Man, I don't even have that many clothes! Ah, whatever I'll just pick the most decent one. I then pulled out my makeup kit and started dolling up.

Gotta make myself look presentable for the interview! Let's do this, Namjoo!

 

 

 

Hayoung's POV

 

 

 

Things had been busy since our wedding. Back at work, Eunji unnie had insisted on signing a contract with Son Tech Corporations. Looks like she’s made a very firm decision. So, here we are at the prestigious Shilla Hotel again. We were seated in a private room with Eunji unnie and Seungyoon oppa; he is our representative when it came to contract term agreements and is also Eunji's high school friend. We were ready to start this long meeting.

Entering the room first, was Mr. Son, the CEO, followed by his secretary, Son Naeun a.k.a the CEO's granddaughter and also Namjoo's friend together with two other male representatives of the company. Observing them carefully, I wonder if their company is also male-dominated. Well, that is none of my concern. My job here is to explain the technical terms required when necessary, that's all. Eunji unnie and Seungyoon oppa will do most of the talking.

"I'm relieved that you have considered our decision to sign the contract, Eunji-ssi. It is a pleasure to have a great company like you, by our side." said Mr. Son.

"And it's wonderful to have Son Tech supporting our business with this partnership." smiled Eunji unnie. "Please sign over here."

As the contract were signed by the two parties, the meeting soon settled into something more comfortable. This is the part, where I wish I could go home because at this point, I'm tired of putting up a facade. This is no different than playing pretend on a blind date.

"If there is anything important, I'll have my granddaughter to liase with you”. CEO Son continued, “She's been single for awhile now and I'm thinking of marrying her off. How about you young man? You seem suitable." smiled the old man turned his eyes onto Seungyoon who looked uneasy at the sudden proposition. I could feel goosebumps rise as a sudden chill permeates through from beside me. I don't know what's gotten into Eunji unnie. Her bright, glowing smile has been replaced with a thin lipped frown.

"Oh, it's okay sir. I'm attached already." laughed Seungyoon oppa awkwardly. I feel you oppa. But the two of us has to hang on and endure this conversation. They are our business partners now.

"You have a very beautiful granddaughter Mr. Son. I'm sure anyone would be lucky to be in a relationship with her, even girls." said Eunji. What on earth is she talking now? I don't know what's going on in her mind but I don't want to hold any responsibility for what happens. I’ve known her for more than 12 years now, there are times where she can act reckless without thinking.

"Well, the society is changing and growing to be more accepting to same-gender relationship. But I think that is weird. It's a stupid idea."

There it is. Eunji's has entered into fury mode. I should probably stop her before it gets worse. From the corner of my eye, I could already see Naeun squirming uncomfortably in her seat.

"Utter rubbish. A woman should marry a man. It's also the same as to how a man should be the sole breadwinner in the family. In fact, it's impressive to see a woman like you become a CEO. A woman should belong in the house. But you, are different. That's why I look forward to seeing you display your skills and expertise in this field. You are like a man. Unlike the other women in my company who are useless and weak, Eunji-nim, you are different."

Don't judge a book by its cover indeed. I thought this old man is a kind partriach, but nope, he’s every bit an old fashioned chauvinist as you think he is. He belongs in the category which Eunji despises the most. Those, who look down on women.

"If that is your ideology, it certainly contradicts the fact that you're having your granddaughter to work as your secretary." said Eunji. I noticed her fists are clenched so tightly now that her knuckles have turned white.

"My granddaughter? Hah, it's because she's my granddaughter that's why! She has my blood, that's why kept her around. If she performs badly just like the others, I will not hesitate kicking her out."

Wow. This is one, twisted man. I wonder how does Son Naeun cope with this? She’s obviously not happy working for a man like this, even though he is her grandfather.

"This little er." cursed Eunji in a mumble. Oh no, I need to stop her now.

"Huh? Did you say something?"

"Oh, sorry." Eunji suddenly smiled. "I was just thinking of the news. You know, the one about how a man a woman in his apartment home and he was pleaded innocent? Forgive me. I've been really mad with that the past few days."

"Hey, Eunji-ya, you should stop this." nudged Seungyoon oppa as he whispered to her.

"I see. Well, it appears that you've got quite the temper." said the old man, oblivious to Eunji’s slight at him. I guess we're safe. For now.

"Well, Mr. Son." Eunji unnie suddenly cleared . "I understand that we've already agreed on a partnership investment with our two companies. We both have a bright future ahead but," she paused as she suddenly took the contract paper and tore it right in front of the old man's eyes. What the heck is she doing?!

"Unfortunately, I changed my mind. Sorry. I don't think I can work with people like you. People who look down on women."

There she goes. It's too late to revert everything back. Our own CEO just dug her own grave.

Great job, Eunji unnie. You've just let a $100 million investment go, just like that.

 

 

 

Author's POV

 

 

 

Kang Seungyoon kept bowing and apologising profusely as he saw the agitated Son Tech CEO off in his private car, while Eunji and Hayoung watched from afar. There was a sullen atmosphere as the chief programmer sighed.

"Stupid chauvinist pig!" scoffed Eunji with crossed arms, as she scanned around and found Naeun who was about going to head home using a different car. "You guys go first. I'll see you in the office tomorrow morning." said Eunji all of the sudden, patting Hayoung's shoulder and dashing off towards Naeun.

"Unnie-!" Hayoung decided that it was fruitless to use her remaining energy to chase after her. "What's with her?" She mumbled.

"Where did Eunji go?" asked Seungyoon with a dark expression, returning back after bowing for countless times till his back hurt.

"I think it'd be best to not bother her. Oppa, you can go home now. The deal is over."

"Gosh, what on earth is she thinking?!" sighed Seungyoon in frustration. "Anyways, if she suddenly decides to apologize to Son Tech, tell her that it's hopeless. I'm not going to be working for her in a while. See ya." The man said before storming off to towards the subway station.

Hayoung turned to look at Eunji who seemed to be engaged in a deep conversation with Naeun. She had a gut feeling that it wasn't a good time to intervene and decided to walk to the nearest bus stop, about 15 minutes away. She didn’t think it’s worth her time, thinking about their complicated relationship.

Meanwhile, Eunji knew that it was her fault. She let such a huge opportunity slip from her hands, just because she was blinded. Blinded by love. It was true. Ever since that fateful night, she had been fatally attracted to that girl, Son Naeun. She vowed to never let go and chase her till the end.

No matter what.

"You...okay?" asked Naeun coldly but her eyes spoke of worry. It was difficult to mask her concern. Eunji noticed it and simply grinned.

"You're worried about me, right?"

"N-No, I'm not. It's just that... what you did there just now..."

"I can't believe your grandfather is such a jerk. How dare he look down on women like that?!" said Eunji in frustration. "It must be hard to work under him right? Having to be perfect so that you don't disappoint."

"I guess...."

"Quit your job."

"What?"

"Stop working at that hellhole and come work for me. That way, you don't have to suffer."

"I can't do that." answered Naeun in a straight expression. "Do you want me to be kicked out of my family? Why are you always interfering in my life? Do you think blackmailing me in the first place wasn’t enough? Please, stop bothering me." The girl started walking away but felt a tug on her arm.

"Hey-"

"Marry me." said Eunji nonchalantly.

Naeun looked at her, wide-eyed, completely flustered by her sudden proposal.

"Marry me then, you won't have to suffer in that family anymore." The older girl continued.

 

 

 

 

Namjoo's POV

 

 

 

I hear the beep of the door opening. Hayoung's home! I dashed out immediately to greet her, only to see her completely flustered. Ah, cute. I probably just scared her.

"You're back!" I said with a wide smile in which she nodded, still maintaining her ever-unmoving expression. Huh, did all my efforts to make her more expressive go to waste like that?

"Is... something the matter?" Hayoung asked as I realised that I've been staring at her for awhile now, whilst consumed in my thoughts.

"Ah! I have something to tell you."

"Go ahead."

"I found a job!" I said with excitement.

"I see."

I see? Is that all she can say? How about like "Wow! Congratulations unnie!"? Nothing? Really? Just that? Ugh, bummer.

"I got a phone call from JTBC today and they asked to go over for an interview! I went and got accepted meaning I'm going to become an assistant writer again meaning I can go back to achieving my dreams!"

I stared back at her, as if her brain was trying to process all of my rambling.

"I see."

Why can't you take more interest in me? Why don't you ask me things about my job?

"I'll be starting work tomorrow so I wouldn't be staying at home most of the time. But don't worry, I'll still have time to do house chores, feed Bbang and all that."

"I see."

Why am I not surprised anymore? Her replies were all the same. I'm disappointed. Why is she acting so indifferent? I thought we became closer?

"If you excuse me, I'll be going into my room now. Have a good rest." She said with a bow, before going inside. I felt upset. I don't know why. Is it because of Hayoung's cold replies? But, I'm already used to it. Then, what is it? Was it because I expected something else?

I'm going crazy. At this rate, I will end up looking like some thirsty girl who is desperate for attention.

Maybe in the end, it's all just a show. Everything that we did together, was all an act. That's right, I need to stop. There's no point in putting effort when she isn't.

With a heavy sigh, I returned to my room and looked at the job contract on my table. A smile reappeared. I just couldn't believe it. I'm going to write again, at a brand new place with new people. It's triggering my creative cells knowing I can write again.

As I tucked myself in bed after a warm shower, I texted my unnies about the good news.

"Unnies! Guess what? I got a job from JTBC!"

"Omg! Really?" - Chorong unnie

"Wow, congratulations ^^ " - Naeun unnie

I smiled. See? This is the kind of things you should say. I should really teach Hayoung how to interact with people.

"Is it a full-time job? How much does it pay?" - Chorong unnie

"Since I'm just starting out from scratch, $1,500 a month. It's not bad hehe" I texted in reply.

"Looking forward to finally Namjoo treating us lunch" - Naeun unnie

"Were you briefed about what kind of content you have to write?" - Chorong unnie

"No, they will inform me tommorow."

"You're starting work tommorow?!" - Naeun unnie.

"Yup! They did say I can come in a week later but I want to work as soon as possible."

"Ooh~ our Namjoo is finally making her writing comeback! All the best!" - Chorong unnie.

"All the best!" - Naeun unnie.

Indeed, it's all I can ever ask from my two favourite unnies. Taking their words of encouragement in hand, I headed off into dreamland and mentally prepared myself for tommorow. It's a big day after all.

 

 

 

 

Author's POV

 

 

At JTBC's office building located in the centre of the bustling streets of Gangnam, Namjoo stood at the entrance with a nervous heart. Coincidentally, she just realised that Hayoung's office was just a block away, It is certainly a small world. Thoughts began to cloud the girl's head about how she could meet Hayoung more often now, have lunch and even go home together. But all of that, shattered as soon as she recalled how cold Hayoung was last night. Namjoo was honestly sad and disappointed with her “wife” not making an effort and showing interest in her life. It was back to the same emotionless housemate she first knew, whose only focal point in her life consists only of her work and her pet dog.

Nothing else.

Deciding that it was not worth the effort to think of Hayoung at this time. Namjoo shifted her attention on preparing herself for her first day of work. With an air of confidence, the girl entered the building and headed to the fifth floor where all of JTBC's writers were stationed. Carefully and quietly, she walked through the rows of desks and reached the room with the big sign "Editor-in-Chief". With a knock, Namjoo entered and greeted her superior, Jung Hyesung. At first, the girl thought that she looked scary at first glance. But it turns out she was wrong.

"Ah, Namjoo! You're here!" welcomed Hyesung with a friendly tone. Rather than being a scary superior, Hyesung's approach towards her fellow workers  was always to treat  them like friends. "Come, sit down. Let me brief you on your first project!"

"I'll do my best no matter what!" said Namjoo enthusiastically as she sat down.

"Wonderful! I like your attitude!" smiled Hyesung. "Here. This is the work you have to review on. It's a script guideline so feel free to illustrate the story according to your thoughts. You might have to do some research about it, since it can be quite a different genre to go through." she said, handing Namjoo a set of documents with the working title of the drama printed over the cover.

"Wow, it's thick- I mean, wow! I think the one who wrote this must have done a great job!" said Namjoo, trying to rephrase her words to avoid misunderstandings.

"It's a story between a married couple. The husband is a lawyer while the wife is a doctor." explained Hyesung as she took a sip from her cup of coffee. "It's an adult romance genre." she said.

"W-What?!" stuttered Namjoo in surprise as she froze.

Adult Romance Genre.

It was then, she realised why she was accepted into the company so easily. It was because she was to work on a genre no one wanted to touch. Adult Romance.

“I’m screwed.”

 

 

--

 

 


 

A/N: Good luck Namjoo on dealing with "that" haha. Now really, Hayoung, are you just gonna act like that? You're totally making a huge mistake on letting this chance slide. On the other hand, we've got quite some 2eun progression here ;) Thank you for reading~ Updates will be much slower as I'll need to prepare for my finals coming soon >< But I promise that updates will be much quicker once the storm is over!