Winter

Housemate

 

Namjoo's POV

 

Winter is here.

White fills the scenery outside the windows, a beautiful landscape made of the purest colour in the world.

Many weeks and months passed since then and things, have been progressing rather positively.

Chorong and Bomi unnie finally made up. I really think their bond has gotten tighter since that incident. In fact, I haven't been able to meet up with Chorong unnie as much because she's always going on dates with her girlfriend. Even after being together for 7 years, they still do these kind of things. Heck, at the rate they're going, I'm honestly just waiting for them to get married.

As for Eunji and Naeun unnie, guess what? They finally announced that they were dating. Even though we already knew about it since the beginning, this time it was broadcasted to everyone they knew. It was a pretty complicated relationship but from afar, they were like a powerful, rich couple. I mean Naeun is the only daughter of the powerful Son Tech Corporations while Eunji is the CEO of her own company. Their future children are certainly the lucky ones. One problem though, they are still keeping this secret from their parents. I pray all goes well with that.

And lastly, me and Hayoung? Well, we're getting there.

Because we live in separate bedrooms, we would take turns to sleep in each other's bed. No, not what you're thinking. We're too busy for that. Both of us are just working, living normally. Because our workplaces are just right across each other, sometimes we would meet up for lunch. But we make it a point to go home together. It's a must thing. Oh, that reminds me, did Hayoung forget about our date? She did ask me out for a weekend date months ago, but that never happened. Did that robot forget?

But I'm okay with that. All is well and Christmas is around the corner, we can have our date by then. As each day passes, I'm learning more and more about this robot whom I’ve grown to love. Today, I learnt something new about her. Hayoung's most hated season of the year is here, winter. Why? Because she gets sick around this time of the year, when the weather turns chilly and snowy. Eunji unnie actually gave me a heads up beforehand as an "advice" she said.

"You're going to work in that condition?" I said with a gasp, blocking the entrance to stop her from leaving. There's no way I'm letting her get out of this house. Her nose is red, face swollen and she looks like her eyes might close any moment.

"I have to." said Hayoung as she sniffled. It's cute but it worries me. "I have to work."

"Come here." She shuffled over obediently.

I placed my palm onto her forehead. Oh dear, it's hot.

"Woah! I want you back in bed this very moment!" I commanded. Ah, I must've shocked her with the tone of my voice. She's staring at me with those wide, confused eyes. "You're having a fever."

"I see."

Ah, what do I do with this robot of mine? I grabbed hold of her and hauled her back into her room. Got her to change back into casuals and get into bed. She did everything I asked of her without a word of protest. I went around flipping through cabinets and drawers searching for medication. None found. Great.“

"Hey I'm going to go out to the pharmacy and… AHH!" I covered my eyes, entering the room only to see Hayoung in her underwear struggling to put on her sweater. My cheeks turned crimson immediately and I subconsciously pressed my sweaty palms against my chest, desperate to stop my heart from bursting. There’s still quite a long way for me to get used to this.

"Okay." Hayoung nodded as she finally managed to pull on her oversized sweater.

"Stay in bed okay? Don't you dare sneak out when I’m not around."

"Mm." She nodded. With a smile.

A smile.

Every single time. I melt whenever she gifts me with that treasured smile of hers.

With that, I rushed to the nearest pharmacy and got the medication. I returned to find my little puppy still tucked nicely in bed, just as I told her to. I trust her. A relationship requires trust after all. I applied a cooling patch on Hayoung’s forehead and watched in amusement as she struggled with her fever medication. I didn't know this robot is also like a baby. It's just a pill, what's so difficult to swallowing it?

"Unnie..."

"Don't you think of doing anything else. Stay right here and rest. I'll call Eunji unnie for you so don't worry. I'll have to get to work now, be a good girl and stay in bed okay?" I instructed with a straight face. Of course, I'm worried because knowing her, who knows what on earth she'll do when she's out of my sight.

"Mm." She nodded. "Thank you unnie."

Words that melt my heart. Gosh. At least, she's getting better in talking.

"See you later." I said, pecking her cheek before leaving.

Although I'm like 30 minutes late but that's okay. Inside the packed train, I dialed Eunji unnie's number to apply sick leave for Hayoung.

"Oh yeah, it's that time of the year again. Don't worry, she always gets sick when winter comes."

"I know, you told me before." I said, not wanting to hear another round of her story telling.

"Man, it was tough back then but now that she's married, she has someone to take care of her. Married life must be nice." Her voice carried a little bit of envy. I know she’s just teasing me.

"You and Naeun unnie should get married too then." I backfired.

"W-W-What nonsense are you talking about?! That's way too soon!" Hah, she probably wasn't expecting that at all.

"Oh please, Naeun unnie told me that you proposed to her before. You were acting all cool and mighty then-"

"H-Hey, what?! W-Why that girl- Anyways!" She paused, calming herself down. "I gotta go and work so I'm hanging up."

"As if." I scoffed.

"Whatever! Bye!" She hung up.

I sighed. Excuses, excuses.

"Oh! You're a bit late today Namjoo-ya!" said Wheein as she waved at me.

"Yeah, my wife is sick." I replied as I sat down and started up my laptop.

"Aww… shouldn’t you be home taking care of her?"

"W-What? Hey, I have to work too."

"I'm just joking. Work is important and I'm sure she can take care of herself right?"

That is the thing that worries me. Can Hayoung really take care of herself like that?

"Y-Yeah..." I mumbled.

"By the way, did you see the snow today? It's pouring really hard."

"At least the office is warm."

"I heard the news, a cold front is coming in so there's going to be a snowstorm today."

"Really?"

"Yup." she nodded. "Best be prepared!"

The weather forecast is making me anxious. I just can't help but to constantly think about Hayoung. I really hope she's doing nothing but just resting. I'm sure that robot won't do anything reckless. She listens to me well. Yeah, I should stop worrying about her otherwise it will really interfere with my work. Get a hang of yourself, Kim Namjoo!

 

 

 

 

Hayoung's POV

 

 

 

I'm not sure how long I've slept. The moment Namjoo unnie told me to rest, I just shut down completely and hibernated. I drifted in and out of consciousness from time to time as medication and my own immune system battled tirelessly against the flu. Now that I'm awake, i'm a little bored. I sat up and touched my forehead. It's not that hot nor feverish anymore, pretty sure the medication worked.

I sniffled my nose again as I stood up and dragged my feet into the kitchen and prepared instant porridge using the microwave. I the television and collapsed onto the couch, eating and watching whatever programmes that was on the TV at that time. Time passes quickly like that. The thing about being sick is that, you're not your usual self. My head is in a mess and thoughts were all jumbled up.

I still remember this being an annual ritual for me. Last time, Eunji unnie would be there for me. If she was never there, I could've possibly died alone without any help.

 

"You’re seriously scaring me!" said Eunji unnie as her eyes were full of worry. Because I was all alone at home and had absolutely no strength to visit the doctor, I fainted. Luckily, Eunji unnie was quick enough to know that something was up. She's strong and I don't blame her for breaking down my door.

"Sorry, I just seem to get sick every time winter comes." I mumbled, staring at the white ceiling of the hospital. It just feels like an annual thing to visit this place. The stinging smell of disinfectant and blinding white sheets, all felt so familiar. Why do I have such a weak body? Is it because all I do is sit at the computer all day?

"This first started back in high school right? Do you remember?"

"Mm. I do." I nodded.

"I remember having to carry you on my back as I ran to the sick bay. You were so light then, I was scared that you weren't eating enough. But I'm glad that you're growing well. You’re taller than me now." There she goes, with that warm smile of hers. Ruffling her fingers through my hair, I honestly liked that feeling. I wish that she was my mom instead. Even though at times she can be annoying and loud, but I liked her. If Eunji unnie couldn't be my mom, I would like her to be my older sister.

"You know, there will be a day when I can’t be around. That's when I start to worry y'know?"

"About what?" I asked.

"If there is someone who can replace me, in taking care of you." She looked at me. "But then, it's not like you will marry anyways since you said that you’re gonna be single till you die." She laughed off.

"I will never get married." I deadpanned.

"Of course, of course, you've said that millions of times. It would be super funny if you did though."

 

That might be my immature and naïve way of thinking back then. Things have changed. It's hard to believe it but I have found a special someone to share my life with. Someone who cares for me, someone who can laugh and cry with me through our journey together in this world.

I looked around and saw Bbang tucked quietly in his favourite corner. Strange. Usually, he would sense my presence and come to my side. My eyes scanned over to his food bowl. He has not touched his food at all. Did something happen? I don't think he has moved a single inch today.

"Bbang?"

No response. No bark. Not even a look at me.

"Bbang?"

Again, no response.

What's happening to him?

I managed to get up with much difficulty and hobbled over to Bbang and picked him up into my arms. He is hardly breathing and his eyes were lifeless. Crap.

 

"Don't you dare sneak out when I’m not around!"

 

Her words echoed loudly in my head like a warning. I know that I shouldn't be going out in this condition. But this is an emergency. Bbang is sick. Conflicted, I pondered deeply over what I should do. I stared at the clock on the wall, it's 4pm. Two hours till Namjoo comes home. Do I wait?

No.

I shook my head instinctively and made my choice. This is an emergency situation. I have to save Bbang. I got up, put on a thick coat, cradled Bbang in my arms and left quickly. It was practically a blizzard outside. The front porch was already covered in thick snow.

I can handle this.

Bracing the continuing dizziness that I've been feeling, I took a brave step forward and trudged out towards the road for a taxi.

I have to take Bbang to the vet.

 

 

 

 

Namjoo's POV

 

 

 

In the midst of work, there was a commotion at the common area. It was usually a quiet place, ideal for writers who wants to clear their minds after a exhausting their juices from brainstorming. Others engage in small talk over tea with their fellow colleagues while watching TV. The place is surprisingly packed today. I peeked over to see everyone crowding over the screen. Is something up? Curiousity got the better of me and I walked over. I even saw Wheein there.

There was a live news broadcast going on. It was reporting of a major snowstorm occuring in Seoul in real time. They showed videos of a total standstill in traffic and announced the closure of the airports. The government has also issued an advisory for people to stay indoors as the storm is only expected to subside early next morning. Mother nature sure is scary.

"Wow, this is pretty serious." said Wheein.

Other co-workers around me were talking about how they were going to get home later, some were worried for their families. Me? I’m worried for my sick wife. But she's at home so the storm shouldn't affect her. She’d be safe so long she listened to me and stayed at home.

I could only grasp the severity of the storm when I looked out from the windows. It was literally pouring sheets of white.

Everything's going to be fine. I'll just get home a bit later and Hayoung will be there, safe and sound.

Right?

Why do I feel so uneasy?

 

 

 

Author's POV

 

 

 

Stuck in the taxi, Hayoung constantly sneezed and sniffled her nose while occasionally checking on Bbang who remained unresponsive. Every minute makes her more and more anxious. She didn't take the bus nor the subway as Bbang is afraid of crowds.

"Looks like we might be stuck here for hours." said the driver.

"I see." replied Hayoung coldly with a nod. She looked out the window and observed the situation. She felt for her phone in her pockets and simply grasp an empty space of air. “Damn it, I must have left it at home.”Hayoung sighed at her carelessness.

"Excuse me sir, what is the time now?" The girl asked.

"Oh, the time? It's 5:30pm."

Conflicted thoughts raced through her, as she suddenly makes a reckless decision.

"Here is the money." said Hayoung as she handed over the taxi fare before getting out into the snowstorm.

"Are you sure?!" The taxi driver was surprised at the girl's decision, thinking that she might be crazy.

"Yes. Thank you for the ride." The girl replied, closing the door.

She’s now feeling the full force of the storm. Her body was shivering like crazy, teeth clattering as she let off sneeze after sneeze. Her vision got blurry as the dizziness shot to a greater level. Hayoung took a moment to compose herself and pulled her coat around Bbang, trudging onwards through the think snow. The veterinary was nearby and the girl was positive that she can make it. It was then, she heard a whimper from Bbang. Thinking that the dog must've been freezing, she pushed on even harder.

She had never felt so cold in her life. It was almost as if nature wants to turn her into a popsicle. She continued walking, fumbling along the way but managing somehow to keep her balance through her trek. She was already at a point where she couldn’t attribute her numb body to either the cold or her meds.

Hayoung fought through and finally arrived at the clinic. There were audible gasps and curious stares from the clinic personnel as she entered. She wondered if her condition had deteriorated that badly as she wobbled to the counter.

"Miss, are you okay?" The nurse asked.

"Please...save my dog." said Hayoung, with the last of her breath.

"A-Alright." The nurse was flustered as she took the dog, wrapped in Hayoung's coat and proceeded to check on it.

Hayoung watched intently as the nurses went about taking care of Bbang. She can finally relax now, seeing Bbang in safe hands. Her senses returned in the form of a sharp stabbing pain in her head as adrenaline drained from her body.

She found herself falling.

"Namjoo unnie."

The last thought that went through her mind, before darkness consumed her.

Thud.

 

 

 

 

 

Namjoo's POV

 

 

 

Beep. Beep. Beep.

Why is she not picking up the phone?

I bit the tip of my fingernail, dialling the number again.

"This is the voicemail call for the number.."

Darn it. Oh Hayoung, pick up your phone!

"Hey Namjoo, let's go home!" I could hear Wheein calling for me in the distance.

"Y-Yeah! Let's." I said, assuming that Hayoung probably fell asleep. I wanted to believe that she was at home, nothing else. We walked out and joined a co-worker, Yongsun who offered to send us home in her car. After all, Hyesung unnie had insisted that it's better to not go alone due to the severe weather conditions. It's 6pm and we were still stuck in the traffic. “At least the storm looks like subsiding early.”

"Hey, everything alright?" I felt Wheein nudging my elbow.

"Huh? Y-Yeah."

"Hmmmmm..." She hummed while observing me. "You're worried about her right?" she smiled.

"I-I guess so..."

"Oh~" An "o" formed in . "You must really love your wife huh?" I could sense the envy in her tone.

"And what about you Wheein?" I asked, wanting to change the topic. I also wanted to divert my worries to something else.

"Me?"

"Are you dating anyone?"

"Not really, I'm aual."

"HUH?!"

"I'm just joking HAHAHAHA!" Her laugh echoing in the car.

I knew it. But I understand that it was her own subtle way of telling me to not worry about Hayoung. She was trying lift my mood up. I guess I must be frowning the whole day.

We chatted for the next half hour before we finally arrived at my place. The snow has stopped quicker than the news that was reported. I raced inside and pulled Hayoung’s room door open.

.

She's not here. I could feel the anxiety in my heart getting worse.

I headed out and looked everywhere in the apartment. She's gone.

"Goddammit Oh Hayoung" I mumbled, taking out my phone and dialled her number. It was then, I hear a phone ringing from inside Hayoung’s room. I walked back in and lifted her bed covers. There is was. Hayoung's phone, buzzing away.

I sighed. I told her to stay put! Why can’t she listen to me?

This is driving me crazy!

My phone rang this time. The caller, Eunji unnie.

I had a gut feeling in my stomach, just looking at the caller-id.

"Hello, Eunji unnie?"

"Namjoo-ya. Come to the Seoul Hospital now-"

My worst fears just came true. Before Eunji unnie could finish her sentence, I hung up and ran out.

I knew it.

Hayoung, you fool!

 

 

--

 

 


A/N: What would you do in Hayoung's position? Would you wait or battle the freezing cold to save Bbang? Hey guys, I'm finally back after completing my finals which means, updates are going to be slighter faster! I apologize for the long delay ><