Together

Housemate

 

*This chapter will be written entirely from Author's POV*

 

Another morning began at Moonbean Residences.

The smell of delicious cooking permeated through the apartment as a feast was served on the table. Her former-resident, Kim Namjoo was chomping down on a sandwich while her other hand was busy picking up slices of cut kimchi and chucking them into after each bite of bread. She appeared the happiest, eating away while occasionally her ketchup-stained fingers.

Bewildered by the whole situation, the owner of the house stared at her in silence.

She wasn't sure what was going on. Their contract had just ended and the girl left her without giving any reason. But even so, Hayoung was afraid to ask and avoided texting nor calling her since. It had been over a week now and here she is, right before her eyes.

"What is this, Namjoo unnie?" Hayoung finally asked.

"What is?" The girl looked up at her, cheeks stuffed.

"How can you eat that sandwich now?"

Namjoo smacked her lips and replied with furrowed brows. "Why?" She looked over at Hayoung's untouched plate of food. "Oh, is it because you're not hungry?"

"That's not what I meant."

"Then why? Is it wrong for me to eat my breakfast?"

"We just cancelled our contract." said Hayoung. "We just got divorced."

A cold silence followed, as the girls looked at each other. They each had different thoughts in their head and their own methods of dealing this situation that they couldn't understand themselves. Namjoo believed that it was her fault but decided to confront Hayoung regarding her family's past. Hayoung on the other hand, was heartbroken, then confused at how her ex-wife just returned as if nothing happened.

This is a misunderstand in need of clarification before it gets any messier.

"I... just don't understand anymore." sighed Hayoung as she mustered her courage to speak her mind. "You asked to cancel the contract out of a sudden and decided to leave without a single word. I don't know what went wrong. Now you're right in front of me eating breakfast."

Namjoo shrugged her shoulders. "In that case..." She wiped her hands and stood up. "I'll leave.", and started walking to the door

Hayoung jumped up from her seat and instinctively grabbed her hand.

"That's not what I mean."

Namjoo turned back and looked at Hayoung and waited for her to continue.

Hayoung mustered her courage and asked: "Why did you cancel the contract?"

"Because of your family." The girl responded in a monotone voice.

"My...family?"

"I found out that your stepbrother has been paying the hospital bills so I tracked him down. He introduced me to your father and in turn, he told me something about you.

“What?”

“He told me that you're a murderer."

Hayoung let off n heavy sigh upon hearing that, another, and another. She paced around the room agitatedly, hands covering her face. Concerned, Namjoo pull her to a stop and asked.

"Is.....it true?"

"I can't believe he said that." said Hayoung as she leaned facing the wall with one hand, the other in a ready fist, ready to punch out.

"Hayoung-"

"It's not true!" shouted Hayoung as she turned around, her eyes were full of fire. It’s the first time Namjoo ever seen Hayoung flare up. "Don't listen to him. Don't listen to any of them."

"It's...not true then?" asked Namjoo as her voice became softer, flustered at Hayoung's outrage.

"He does that all the time to distance people away from me! My father doesn't want me to become close with anyone. He did the same with Eunji unnie, Bomi unnie, all of them. Bribery, blackmail, anything possible. Don't believe in those stupid lies!" Hayoung then held onto her shoulders. "They didn't do anything to you, did they?" She scanned over Namjoo, looking for signs of abuse or even worse if a tattoo is etched somewhere.

"Hey..."

"You cancelled the contract over such a stupid lie?!" said Hayoung still furious. "How can you even do that?! Do you even know what you did to me? How much pain I had to go through? The girl sighed again. "Do you know how much.......I love you?" Tears welled up.

Those words, brought a wide smile to Namjoo.

Music to her ears.

"You're....smiling? asked the girl. "How can you smile after everything I've went through? You're nearly drove me crazy!"

"Our Hayoung..." Namjoo crossed her arms and titled her head slightly, a warm smile drawn across. "...is upset."

The younger girl faltered, unsure how to respond. It was true that her feelings had erupted in that very moment and brought a realisation of what she was doing.

There was a fire burning inside her chest.

"It's my first time seeing you like this." said Namjoo. "You've never really told me about your feelings before and I'm glad that...you did." She began to caress Hayoung's dishevelled hair as the robot stood still, frozen. "I'm sorry I left you without a word. I'm sorry I left you when you were having a hard time." She reached out and pulled Hayoung into her arms.

"I'm sorry Hayoung-ah. It's all my fault. I was too naive."

Hayoung hesistated initially but her arms instinctively circled around Namjoo , completing the hug. She missed this scent so much she tucked her face into the nape of Namjoo’s neck and inhaled deeply.

A relaxing and calming scent.

It didn't matter anymore, because Namjoo is here. What mattered was that Namjoo didn't leave her because she no longer has feelings for her. It was because of her possessive father who was always meddling in her matters.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

[Flashback]

 

 

 

"Hayoung... is a murderer?" gasped Namjoo as she stared blankly, trying to process the information.

"It was necessary." said Changseok. "I needed to make sure that my daughter was worthy of my bloodline even though she has no intentions of joining me." He sighed thinking of his failed attempts. "But that's alright, she is a daughter, not a son. If she’s a boy, I would have a problem deciding who to inherit my business, Hayoung or Sehun."

"Sir...."

"I was shocked when my daughter called me. It had been over 10 years since she last did and the first thing she told me is she’s getting married. Then she asked permission to use my card to convince your parents into accepting her proposal."

"The card... you mean the one with the candle?"

"Yes. Not many know of this candle, that's why I like your parents. They are aware of what is needed to survive in this world we live in. Dirty money. Those of lower class often struggle economically and would turn to options like this. Us."

Namjoo wasn't exactly listening to Changseok as her mind was filled with the thought of Hayoung killing someone. She knew that Hayoung’s heart was closed because of the lack of affection from her mother but to think that this may have a connection. She needed time to sort it out. The thought of Hayoung being such a person could expose her family and friends to danger. She wasn’t sure what to do.

Changseok observed Namjoo while explaining the whole situation. His plan to mislead Namjoo seemed to be working, she is gullible.

He believed Namjoo would cut all ties with his daughter now that she is aware of the “truth”.

He smiled victoriously.

Living in the dark for decades and being the most wanted man in the country, he had a different method of protecting his daughter. He never wanted her to get married, fall in love nor even have friends. When he received word that Hayoung was hanging out with friends, he became possessive and sent out his cronies to spy on them. He had an intense desire to protect and care for his daughter, but was unable to.

And that gradually evolved into possessive behaviour towards mother and child, isolating them from “outsiders” whenever he was made aware of any.

Eventually, Hayoung got wind of her father’s wilful controlling and had a big fight with him. Since then, Changseok grudgingly backed off. After all, Hayoung would have to work in an environment that requires meeting a lot of people. That was fine. But the man would not tolerate love. Despite the contradictions of Mrs. Oh wanting Hayoung to live her life as a normal person and be in a relationship, he was the opposite.

In the end, Mrs.Oh and Hayoung had decided to cut all ties with Changseok as his obsessive behaviour was starting to take a toll. All they wanted was to live a normal life but the man, could not allow it.

He was just a father showering his love for his daughter in a very wrong way.

And this resulted in Hayoung despising and distancing herself away from her own father.

Oh Changseok made the same mistakes, again.

 

 

 

[End of Flashback]

 

 

 

 

 

Cuddled in bed after finishing breakfast, the two girls were now back together after clearing their misunderstanding.

Hayoung, who has now fully opened her heart after her earlier outburst was now a whiny little baby clinging onto Namjoo. Arms wrapped tightly around her waist and her face snuggled against Namjoo's chest, Hayoung slept peacefully for once. The older girl on the other hand, couldn't sleep. Instead, she caressed the girl's hair while staring up towards the white ceiling.

Many thoughts crossed her mind, thinking how silly and naive she was to believe in Oh Changseok. She should've known how deceptive and manipulative his organisation was. But deep inside, she was relieved that he didn't do anything to her. One wrong move and she could've landed herself in deep .

Or even worse, in a body bag.

It was a possibility.

"Why don't you just continue to live happily with Hayoung than troubling yourself over this?"

Mrs.Oh's words popped into her head again. She was right. The lady was right all along.

Was there even a need for all this needless digging, when we could all just forgive and forget and live on peacefully? So long she was with Hayoung, she didn't care about anything else. The two could just live and grow old together.

Together, as a couple.

"Hayoung-ah, wake up." said Namjoo as she gently tapped her shoulder.

"Mm......" the girl groaned.

"How long are you going to sleep? Till night?"

"I haven't slept properly in a long time...." mumbled the girl, tightening her grip as she burrowed further into Namjoo's chest.

"You're suddenly acting like a baby." chuckled Namjoo, amused at the new behaviour Hayoung’s been exhibiting.

"Why? I can't?" pouted Hayoung.

"Oh wow, this is new. I should totally record this. You aren't like still drunk right Hayoung-ah?"

"........"

"Hello? Hayoung-ah?" Namjoo tapped Hayoung but there was no response. "Oh god, am I going to be stuck in this position until you wake up?"

"Yeah. Because you made me go through all that." mumbled the robot.

"S-Sorry......"

It was then, Hayoung lifted her head up and stared at Namjoo. The older girl blinked her eyes in response, unsure what to expect. She still has no idea what was going through her robot's mind. Her heart was beating in anticipation, their breaths tickling against their skin.

Hayoung leaned forward and gently pecked her lips. Namjoo pecked back in return as the couple was back into their lovey dovey state, missing the moments they had and now, never leaving each other's side.

As long as they were together, nothing else mattered anymore.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

[1 YEAR LATER]

 

 

 

Spring arrived in Seoul, cherry blossoms littered the sidepaths and people from all walks of life gathered to witness the beautiful scenery that was like a painting come to life. Somewhere amidst the crowd, was a lady in full black. Her nature was difficult to spot and was almost like a shadow, observing from afar. Seated onto a make-shift mat under a tree, she was busy sketching on a canvas. Faint pencil shades of the park, one look and anyone could tell that the girl had artistic talents.

"They are all late." she sighed, looking around. Strangers surrounded her, either with their families or friends, happily taking pictures of the cherry blossoms or having their own picnics in a corner. She was waiting for her friends, but it seemed like she's the first one to arrive. She’s a freelancer after all thus, flexible work hours afforded her time to do what she wants, when she wants.

It was a tough journey to finally remove the chains from the company she worked at, simply because the CEO is her father. But everything turned out well, thanks to a certain someone who was always be her side, supporting her. She looked at the silver ring wrapped around her ring finger, occasionally reflecting soft rays from sunlight shining through the tree canopy, she smiled.

"I know you're not ready yet but I want you to wear it and maybe think of me. People call it a couple ring but because we can't get married now, I want us to at least have a ring."

Her words echoed in her head loudly. If it wasn't for her persistent girlfriend, she wouldn't have gotten this far.

"Naeun unnie!"

A faraway shout shook Naeun from her reverie as she looked over to see her high school friend walking towards her direction. She brought along two dogs, each tied onto a leash as they wagged their tails excitedly.

"Sorry I'm late! I had to bring these kids out!" she said with a smile. "Oh wow, no one came yet?! Those latecomers are really something!".

"It's fine Namjoo-ya. This is Bbang right, Hayoung's dog. Then, what about the other one?" said Naeun, eyeing on the other dog that was of a similiar breed at Bbang.

"Oh, this is Po, our new addition to the family!" said Namjoo in delight as she carried the dog onto her lap. "She's a female. Bbang's a male."

"Ah......."

"D-Don't look at me like that!!!" shouted Namjoo, flustered.

"I didn't say anything Namjoo-ya." laughed Naeun as she lightly hit her. "You're the one thinking it that way!"

"W-Whatever." mumbled the younger girl. "Oh! It's Chorong unnie!" she waved her hands over. "Chorong unniee!!!! Over here!!!!!"

"You're too loud!" berated Naeun while glancing around, embarrassed that everyone is looking at their direction. Indeed, her friend never changed after all these years.

"Hey! I was searching for a place to park." said Chorong as she walked over with bags containing lunchboxes. "And I took some time to make these as well."

"WOW THEY LOOK DELICIOUS!" shouted Namjoo as Chorong served the dishes out onto the mat, one by one.

"You're so loud!" chuckled Naeun.

"Guess there won’t be any food left when those three decide to show up." said Chorong.

It was then, Naeun's phone rang. On the screen was written as "Unnie <3".

"OMO IS THAT WHAT I THINK IT IS?!" gasped Namjoo, catching a glimpse of what Naeun saved Eunji's contact as. It was weird to see her doing things like that.

"S-Shut up...." mumbled Naeun in embarrassment as she answered the call. "Hello, unnie?"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Oh, Naeun-ah? Are they there yet?" answered Eunji who was still at the office, finishing up some last-minute work with one hand on the phone and the other furiously pecking away at the keyboard.

Her office room that was once decorated with her prized collection of alcohol were all gone. Now, when they have guests or clients, they were regaled by colourful works of art adorning the walls of the office. In a way, it brought a lighter, calmer mood but for Eunji, it was her proud way of expressing her pride at Naeun's talents.

One year into their somewhat forced-relationship by Eunji, she had figured out that Naeun was destined to be an artist, more specifically a painter. But instead, the girl was stuck with a secretary job just because of her CEO father.

Eunji continued to persuade her girlfriend many times to leave and become a freelancer.

It worked.

Naeun mustered her courage to confront her father alone for the first time. Everything worked out well and now, the couple was enjoying freedom of love. But the two weren't ready to settle down yet. Both were just too ambitious with their own careers and felt they needed more time before they can talk about marriage.

"Alright. I'll get those two and be right there. I'll come in swooping in like Superman!" giggled Eunji. She likes to make Naeun laugh by shooting off a gag or two from her repository of ultra-lame jokes. "Yeah, I'm hanging up. See you Nangni~".

Hearing the beep at the end, Eunji sighed and stretched her arms. She packed up and exited her office, heading towards a row of computers.

"Hey. It's time." she said, knocking onto the desk.

"Okay." Hayoung answered as her eyes were still glued to the screen, hands dancing frantically on the keyboard.

".........." The older girl stared at her for a few seconds. "I said it's time to go."

"..........."

"Did you forget that you're having a date with Namjo-"

"Let's go." said Hayoung as she suddenly stood up and switched off the screen.

Eunji rolled her eyes in response and headed to the entrance of their office floor. There wasn't even a need to call Bomi because she was already there, waiting.

"Oh wow, someone sure is excited to eat someone's home made food." chuckled Eunji in sarcasm.

"Please, Chorong unnie makes the best meals."

"No, Namjoo unnie does." corrected Hayoung.

"No, Chorong unni-"

"Either way, Naeun makes the best food because y'all are gonna die when you eat it." said Eunji, stepping in between their argument and shoving the girls into the lift.

"Oh right, you almost got food poisoning when you ate it." laughed Bomi.

"I should ask Naeun unnie to make food and give it to my dad then." said Hayoung with a straight expression.

"Hayoung, you've changed." said Eunji with a laugh.

"Did I?"

"Yup, you're just like the old Hayoung we know." smiled Bomi as she exchanged glances with Eunji.

Perhaps, it was a good idea to set up Namjoo as her housemate.

Who would've thought love would change a person completely?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"There they are!" said Chorong as she waved over at the three girls who were looking around in the park.

"I can finally eat." sighed Namjoo who resisted touching the food.

"Bomi unnie looks so happy." giggled Naeun, finding the girl's expression funny as she ran over, before tripping over a root and falling face first onto the ground.

She couldn't understand how Chorong unnie fell in love with such a clumsy fool. It was even strange to think that those two got married after that. They have a cosy apartment to themselves now, happily married and living a normal life.

Sometimes, Chorong would often complain to Naeun and Namjoo as to how oblivious her wife would be. Bomi would randomly forget Chorong’s birthday or important anniversaries. But Chorong forgave her every time as she loved Bomi too much.

Love comes in the weirdest ways.

With all six friends finally gathered to witness the cherry blossoms together, everyone began to dig into Chorong's handiwork, food made with love. There were the usual gossiping and joking and teasing going around the circle of friends, as well as sharing of tales of work or just life in general.

On the surface it looked like a simple gathering of old friends and a reprieve from their busy lives in their own worlds.

But to them, it is much more than that.   

It is a gathering of like minded individuals who mature in life together, closely bonded friends who synergises with one another in all things they do.

They are a family.

"So when are you guys getting married?" asked Chorong, glancing to Naeun and Eunji who looked at each other awkwardly.

"Come on unnie, you've asked hundreds of times already!" whined Eunji.

"Gosh, you're already becoming like those annoying housewives I see on TV." said Bomi.

"What did you say?" glared Chorong.

"Uh....."

"It's okay, there's no need to rush. Just take your own time you two." said Namjoo, stepping in to save Bomi from Chorong's wrath. But she was sending a signal to initiate something.

"Namjoo is right." said Hayoung. However, she was sending eye signals towards Eunji to initiate a plan.

"Thank you guys." said Eunji getting the hint. She began to eye Bomi, wiggling her eyebrows up and down.

"ANYWAYS- I'll go and check out the cherry blossoms with Chorong unnie first! Come on unnie, let's go!" said Bomi, catching the signal as she dragged Chorong out.

"Bom-ah what-"

"We'll be right back!" said Bomi as the two were soon far away from mat.

"Naeun-ah, let's go and look at the blossoms too." said Eunji.

"Oh...okay..." said Naeun suspiciously, following her girlfriend.

Eventually, Hayoung and Namjoo were left behind. Their dogs, Bbang and Po were left to run about the park and have their own fun.

"Everyone just left us...okay cool...." mumbled Namjoo as she watched the couples from afar. "Hayoung-ah how about we-"

"Unnie." said Hayoung as she looked into her eyes.

"Mm? What is it?"

"Honestly, I'm not good at stuff like this. I even had to ask advice from Eunji and Bomi unnie but..."

Namjoo smiled widely in anticipation. She was not expecting Hayoung to prepare an event for her.

The awkward robot took her bag and hastily searched for something. Soon, she took out a small black box and cradled it on her palm.

"R-Remember when I gave you that plushie last year?" stuttered Hayoung nervously, faltering her eyes back and forth.

"I do."

"And I told you to keep it because I felt sorry for not being able to get you a ring." said Hayoung as she opened the box slowly. There it was, a a glittering diamond set on a silver ring resting gently onto the cushion. "But now, I can. I bought this for you."

"Hayoung-ah...." gasped Namjoo. She never thought that the girl would actually buy a wedding ring. She didn’t really mind not having a ring, but Hayoung’s gesture is really sweet.

"W-Will you marry me?" mumbled Hayoung as if she was reciting a line that she was practicing for a long time.

"Of course." chuckled Namjoo as she pulled the girl into an embrace. "I'm already married to you."

"I love you Namjoo unnie."

Namjoo grinned ear to ear hearing those words. Looking back upon their first meeting, Hayoung had improved a lot in terms of expressing herself. Now, she was like an actual human and no longer the robot she knew. She could finally love her as a whole. With that, she pulled Hayoung into a kiss before backing off briefly.

"I love you too, my silly robot." smiled Namjoo before she doved back into their kiss.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Watching the couple kiss from afar with a pair of binoculars, a man sighed at the scene. Dressed in a black suit, he was exasperated at the sight. Although he was always busy and it was already dangerous to have him out in the open, he insisted to see it with his own eyes. To observe how "happy" his daughter was living her life.

"Well, father?" said Sehun, standing behind him.

"I want to kill her." growled Changseok.

"Too bad father. That won't be happening anytime soon." breathed Sehun as he suddenly snapped his fingers. Immediately, Changseok's men switched sides and caught hold of him, restraining his movement.

"What do you think you're doing?!" shouted Changseok, shocked by the turn of tables. "How dare you betray me like this?!"

"Oh, you have no idea how long I've been waiting to do this." smirked Sehun as he shook his head. "I've had enough of living under your shadows. I’ve had enough of being your slave. I want to live normally and the only way to do that, is having you disposed."

"Sehun!!!!"

"Go on, let's get rid of him." said Sehun as the men dumped Changseok into a black van. Changseok will be “disposed of” in the waters of the harbour, within the territory of his own organisation, already on the brink of breaking apart.

"Sorry sis. That's the most I can do." mumbled Sehun as he looked on at the couple from the shadows. "After all these years, I finally knew why you hated father. I came to hate him too and this is all I can do in return."

He smiled. "Live happily, my dear sister."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

After being teased endlessly by her unnies for proceeding with a "lame" marriage proposal, Hayoung and Namjoo were now walking home. Spending hours with their friends, chattering away was good but sometimes, they appreciate some alone time. Each holding onto the leash of a dog, the couple glanced at each other and smiled.

They were happy with their small family. It was all they need, Bbang and Po. To them, the dogs were like their kids.

But perhaps, there was a need for something more.

"You know what, Hayoung-ah?"

"What?"

"I think we're going to need to buy a bigger house. With Po joining us, they will need a bigger place to run about.

"But I just spent a fortune on your ring......"

"R-Really?"

"It's a joke." smiled Hayoung. She was now getting better at cracking jokes.

"Hey~ don't scare me like that!" whined Namjoo to which the robot smiled in response.

"But I do think we need a bigger house."

"You think so too?"

"Yeah. If we have kids, it's going to be a problem."

"Hayoung-ah.." Namjoo's eyes widened at Hayoung's words. Indeed, her wife has changed so much. The girl who said that she was never going to get married and live a mundane life, is now thinking of a future with her. The robot in front of her, dreaming of starting a family.

She loved it.

She loved the idea.

"Are you sure?"

"I am. As long as you are with me."

"I'm always with you, Hayoung-ah." smiled Namjoo. "Thank you." she said, kissing her cheek.

 

 

 

 

 

 

[THE END]

 

 

 

 


A/N: Thank you for joining me onto this Hajoo-filled story. Hope that you had a good time reading it! To be honest, I've had a few difficulties writing this story as I've never tried to connect a story directly from a drama (Because This Is My First Life) so I've gotten a bunch of writer blocks here and there, but everything worked out in the end! Also, huge thanks to my friend for proof-reading Housemate! Hope to see you around in my other fanfics coming soon. -pinkpanda419 (8/2/2018)