Trust

Housemate

 

Namjoo's POV

 

"Is she going to be okay?" I asked Naeun unnie who was starting her car as I looked on with concern at Chorong unnie. She had already passed out before we had even gotten her into the car.

"Yeah, I'll let her sleep at my place for awhile till she calms down."

"Okay, have a safe ride home." I said as I shifted my glance beyond Naeun and noticed a plushie belted at the backseat. "Oh? What's that?"

"Oh...that?"

Did I say something I wasn't supposed to say? Why does Naeun unnie look so flustered by my question? "Someone gave it to me..." She mumbled, almost like she doesn't want me to know. Well, she's a woman of secrets. I respected her privacy and decided not to probe any further.

"I see. Alright, see you unnie!" I smiled while waving as I watched her car disappear into the distance.

Even though we've been best friends for a long time, There are still quite a few things that are personal to us that we didn’t share. We all have that locked room in our hearts, which is only meant for us only.

Secrets that will never be revealed, even to our closest ones.

I checked the time. 11pm. Okay, I can make it for the last train. It isn't far from here.

I was in deep thought on the journey home, seated in the empty carriage. I was recalling my shock when she made her confession. I never thought she would do that. I would feel super guilty in I was in her shoes, regardless the fact that it was a mistake.

How are the two of them going to make up now?

If I ever sleep with someone else that isn't Hayoung, how would I feel?

I have no idea how their relationship will go from here. There's no way they're going to give up this long running relationship just like that right? I sincerely hope that they would be able to come to terms and sort it out. Knowing Bomi unnie, she's probably somewhere, drowning herself in alcohol.

As I unlocked the door and entered the apartment room, I was surprised to see the lights and hearing the muffles of sounds from the television. She's home earlier than I had expected.

"Hayoung?" I asked, walking in. There she is, comfortably tucked on the couch with Bbang on her lap. Somehow, I found myself smiling. I don't know. It hasn't been long since we were separated for work but I miss her so much already.

Is this what it's like to be deeply in love?

"You're back." she replied. This time, not with her usual monotone expression but with a smile as warm as the sun. Ah, I feel like I'm on cloud nine. Just her smile itself, makes everything fuzzy inside me.

"You met with Eunji and Bomi unnie right?" in which she nodded in response."I just hope everything goes well for Bomi and Chorong unnie." I sighed, as I sat beside her. Bbang automatically hopped over onto my lap and barked happily as I his head.

I couldn't help but laugh. Noticing Hayoung's eyes of surprise as Bbang was no longer on her lap, but mine, I guess Bbang likes me more. Did I see that right? No, my eyes are telling the truth. For just that one brief second, I saw Hayoung's lips forming into a pout. If only time can freeze in that moment, I would've taken a picture of it.

Man, I love seeing Hayoung's new expressions each day. It's just so fresh.

"Namjoo unnie..."

"Hm?"

"Ah- I'm not supposed to ask you…"

I looked at her confused, eyebrows furrowed.

"Go on a date with me this weekend."

Maybe I shouldn't have taught her to be straight-forward with her words because, my heart isn't ready yet. It still flutters so hard. But then again, I'm happy because she listened to me. She's making an effort to become a better person.

"Let's." I said with a smile, leaning over and gently pecking her cheek. As I moved back, I found her staring at me again. What now?

"Namjoo unnie."

"Hm?"

"Can I sleep with you tonight?"

My cheeks flushed immediately at her words. Isn't she like- moving way too fast into this relationship? I mean, yeah we've had that already but...? Hayoung is a girl full of surprises.

All of a sudden, I heard a chuckle. Did-did Hayoung just laugh at me?!

"W-What are you laughing at..." I mumbled, rubbing my cheeks as I could feel the heat.

"I didn't mean it in that way." she said with a smile. "I just want to sleep with you. Nothing else."

"Ah......" Man, can I hide in a hole or something?

I feel really embarrassed to have such bizarre thoughts.

 

 

 

 

Author's POV

 

 

 

The night deepened as the housemates changed into their pyjamas and got ready for bed. Hayoung went into her room to get her pillow, while Namjoo was freaking out in hers. She was frantically trying to make her room presentable. She arranged her scattered work on the floor and sprayed the room with a floral scented deodorant, hoping it would cover any funny smells that might be lingering. Her heart was pounding like crazy just from recalling the night they had together. She assumed it might be due to the fact that they have just started their relationship, thus she might feel more relaxed once she gets used to Hayoung and her unpredictable actions.

At least that's what she thought.

Namjoo realised nevertheless that things can turn ugly easily if a couple didn’t make an effort to maintain a seemingly perfect relationship, just like how Chorong and Bomi came to be.

In a relationship, trust is essential.

A knock at her door shook her out from her reverie.

Hayoung’s head popped out from behind the door. She walked in sheepishly with a pillow in her arms as her eyes scanned the room. The robotic girl was still nervous despite it not being her first time in here. Just then, something caught her eye. A minion plushie, sitting all alone in the corner.

"That plushie." said Hayoung as she pointed at it. "I won that right?"

"Oh. I forgot to give it back to you since you were kinda mad at that time."

"Was I?"

"Totally. I was so shocked to see that side of you." said Namjoo as she reached over and picked up the plushie. "Here. You won it. It’s yours."

"No." Hayoung shook her head. "I want you to keep it."

"Me?"

"I didn’t get you a ring when we got married. Take this instead." said Hayoung in which Namjoo smiled warmly.

"Hayoung-ah, you're really sweet."

"Really?"

"Mm. Now stop standing there like a robot and come over here." said Namjoo as she took the younger's girl's hand and pulled her onto the bed. The housemates cuddled each other under the warm covers and stayed in that position for a long time. All they need was a good comforting hug from someone they loved.

Even though it was late and the two had to work tommorow, sleep wasn’t on the cards for the lovebirds. They chatted about many things, making use of the time they have. They began on rocky terms as a landlord and a tenant, progressing awkwardly into a contractual marriage. Love came along and they found themselves falling for each other without realising. They survived the many challenges along the way and on that decisive night, their hearts bared to each other and joined as one.

The strings of their love, finally found its way.

An oddly-matched couple that no one would've expect.

"By the way..." interrupted Namjoo in the middle of their snuggle, reaching out for her phone. Soon, there was a beep at Hayoung's phone. Naturally, the younger girl picked it up. It was a message from Namjoo that contained a contact number.

"It's Naeun unnie's number. You needed it right?"

"Yeah, thanks." 

"But why do you want her number though?" eyed Namjoo in suspicion.

"Eunji unnie wants it."

"Oh~" formed an "o" shape as she nodded. Somehow, she was relieved.

"Why? Is something the matter?"

"Nope, I just thought maybe you were interested in her or something like that...." Namjoo mumbled, not wanting to show her jealousy.

"I'm not interested in her. She's too pretty."

Upon hearing Hayoung's words, Namjoo simply broke into a laughter.

"Too pretty?"

"Yes." The robot nodded before turning to look at her. "But you are perfect."

The two girls stared at each other blankly before Namjoo playfully hit Hayoung's shoulder, blushing harder than ever. Who would've thought that this robot knew how to sweet-talk someone.

"D-Don't say that...anyways! Let's change the topic! If Naeun unnie is too pretty for you, then what about Chorong unnie?" asked Namjoo as the two began a conversation.

After hours of chatting, the couple finally drifted off into dreamland.. Dawn came swiftly and Hayoung was awake. It was something she has never experienced before, waking up next to someone she loves. The girl gazed upon Namjoo’s sleeping form for a long time, watching her chest rise and fall with her peaceful breathing.

She had wanted to feel the soft touch of her hair, caress her cheeks and hug her tightly into a warm embrace. But the robot felt that it wasn’t right to do because she didn’t want to wake her up from her dreamland. Instead, she was content with just gazing at her.

The more she was with Namjoo, the more she was beginning to open herself up.

That's when she had an idea.

She got out of bed carefully and tiptoed out of the room. She headed back to her room, grabbed her tablet and began surfing for kimchi fried rice recipe. Next she opened the fridge and scanned through for ingredients. Everything’s  there. The robot then began to follow the instructions step-by-step, chopping up the the ingredients with precision and started cooking them according to the time indicated whilst heating up a packet of instant rice in the microwave. In no time, the robot plated her first-ever kimchi fried rice and covered it with a basket. She then wrote something on a post-it note, pasted it onto the cover and got ready to leave for work.

For the first time, Hayoung smirked. She was proud with her achievement and believed that Namjoo would be happy eating it.

 

 

 

Namjoo's POV

 

 

 

I stretched out my arms, only to find an empty space beside me. Ah, she probably left for work already huh? I was expecting to give Hayoung a morning kiss. I mean, she could've woken me up with a kiss. But, it's not like that robot knows how to be romantic and all that. It's all just part of my own desires. Damn Namjoo, you're getting way too selfish having things your way. I woke up and got ready for work.

Heading out to the kitchen, I noticed something covered on the dining table. It had a sticky note pasted on top.

"I had to leave for work first. Please eat up, I made it for you."

I found the edges of my lips curving upwards. She's so sweet. She looks like a hard rock from outside, but inside, she's soft like jelly. I took a spoon and took a bite.

Crunch.

The onion isn't cooked.

Right, what can I expect? I forgot Hayoung is a total amateur with cooking.

Looks like I have lots to teach this robot of mine.

I was called into Hyesung unnie’s office upon reporting for work and given the green light to continue with episode two. She looked really impressed with my work. I mean, it's written based on an actual experience so I guess it's quality work. Wheein gave me a thumbs up when I returned to my desk.

It's strange how when I first came here, I was really embarrassed and shy to work on an adult romance drama. But now, I'm shamelessly declaring my expertise. What have I gotten myself into? Well, I'm a fully grown adult in my thirties. Nothing wrong with that. I cracked my knuckles, stretched my neck and began typing away on my laptop, joining in with the symphony of other keyboard sounds resonating about in the office.

Huh, the last I looked at the time it was 2pm. How in the world did it become 6pm so fast?! Oh, the days when I was unemployed and idling at home, watching time move at a turtle’s pace. But now that I'm employed, everything just flies by in a blink of an eye. I switched off my laptop and got ready to leave.

I gotta get used to this routine, as mundane it is. It's going to be like that for months, years, even decades till I retire. Well, the best part of leaving work is that now I can look forward to seeing Hayoung. My heart just seems to flutters about at the thought of meeting her. I want to wrap her in my arms and have her take my stress away.

A sudden ring on my phone brought me back to reality.

"Hello?"

 

 

 

Hayoung's POV

 

 

 

I sighed after fixing another programme bug in our company's game system. I looked around and noticed everyone getting ready to leave work. I guess I should too. That's when my memory hit me. I remembered that Bomi unnie is supposed to work with us today, but I don't see her around. In fact, I haven't seen Eunji unnie today as well. Well, that kinda explains the peace and quiet I've been having for the past hours. Where did those two go?

Wanting to satisfy my curiousity, I called her. I rarely call people, but I just felt the need too then. There was a strange gut feeling in my stomach.

"Oh, Hayoung-ah! You called just in time!"

"Unnie-"

"Bomi screwed up real bad."

"Huh?"

"Anyways, work's over so you should come over to the Gangnam Police Station. Bomi stalked the guy her girlfriend had a one night stand with and beat him up real bad. I'll explain when you’re here." She hung up abruptly.

I leaned back against my chair with another sigh. I should've known, my friends were also well-known troublemakers.

I took the bus to the police station and spotted them straightaway. Eunji unnie was there to greet me first. From afar, I saw Bomi unnie being interrogated by the police officer. I looked her over, Bomi unnie sure put up a fight. She's got bruises on her cheeks, her fists were wrapped in blood stains.

"Hey, do me a favour and ask your wife to call Bomi's girlfriend over." said Eunji. From her expression, I could tell that she was serious.

"Okay." I nodded, taking out my phone."

Beep. Beep. Beep.

"She's not answering."

"Well, she's probably busy. Let's wait then."

The two of us went over and sat at the bench.

"So, what happened?" I asked, an eye still on Bomi, who was doing her best explaining everything to the officer.

"Actually, Bomi wanted to meet me this morning. I thought that maybe she decided to move on or something. But instead, She pulled me along to stalk the person that Chorong unnie cheated on with." sighed Eunji. She definitely looks exhausted.

"Well, that's something Bomi unnie would do." I deadpanned.

"Only pabomi would do." she emphasized. "Apparently, the guy’s name is Changsub. He's a frequent customer at the place Chorong unnie works. We trailed him all around until we came to the restaurant. I swear, I had to hold Bomi down when we spotted Changsub talking to her."

"Then how did she end up like that?" I asked, again glancing over at Bomi.

"Okay so we followed Changsub up till Gangnam street. He was shopping for something and guess what? He entered a store and bought some toys and some like that. Bomi just lost it there."

"Wow."

 

 

 

[Flashback]

 

"Why that little son of a-"

"Stop it Bomi!" shouted Eunji as she tried to hold the infuriated girl back.

"Let go of me!"

"You're going to get in trouble!"

"Who cares! I'm not going to let him walk freely like that!"

Eunji sighed. She figured that if she was in the same position as Bomi, she probably would've felt the same way. She took a deep breath and counted to three, then let loose lion of a Bomi on attack mode.

Bomi stomped up behind Changsub with her fist clenched and eyes belching hellfire.

"HEY CHANGSUB!" she shouted at the top of her lungs.

The moment the man turned around, he felt a whipping, numbing punch across his cheek. The force was so powerful that within just one hit, he fell hard onto the ground with a loud thud.

 

[End of Flashback]

 

 

"But it's going to be okay now, I guess." said Eunji unnie with a positive tone. "There was some misunderstanding. Changsub is a married man and he came to talk to Chorong about their accident today. He had wanted to settle this out peacefully but it looked like Bomi’s fist got to him first. Now they gotta contend with the police intervention."

"I see...."

I guess, there is a light at the end of every tunnel. Although I'm someone who has no interest in the relationship of others, I'm somehow relieved that the lowest point has been reached for Bomi unnie and anything else will just be a step up from now.

 

 

Author's POV

 

 

As the two girls sat and waited, a group of girls entered the building.

"Hayoung?" A voice that felt all too familiar.

"Namjoo unnie?"

"What are you doing here?" asked Hayoung.

"Long story. Anyways, where is Bomi unnie?" said Namjoo, who came with her unnies.

"There."

Chorong peddled to the direction where Hayoung pointed.

Rather than hitting her with a slap or shouting at her, the girl pulled Bomi into an bear hug and sobbed.

"I'm sorry."

"No, I should be sorry."

The girls are all relieved now seeing the couple making up. However, Namjoo and Hayoung sensed another air of awkwardness amongst them. Eunji and Naeun had their sight locked on each other.

"You came too." said Eunji, not letting her eyes away from the girl.

"O-Of course, she's my friend." stuttered Naeun as her eyes faltered.

"I see." nodded Eunji with a smile.

Feeling that something was up, Namjoo grabbed Hayoung's hand.

"Come, let's go somewhere else." whispered Namjoo.

"O-Okay...." said Hayoung, unsure why they needed to but followed anyway.

Love is unpredictable.

Anything can happen once we are under the spell and sometimes, it's hard to break away.

Namjoo and Hayoung stood outside the police station, looking up into the night sky. Although it was cold, but it didn't feel like it because they had each other's warmth. The couple turned back and observed the two different situations of Chorong with Bomi and Eunji with Naeun.

Chorong was still in tears, saddened at the state Bomi was in while the latter was busy patting her girlfriend’s head, doing her best to comfort her and explaining at the same time. However, she still bears a grudge against Changsub and would not let him off easily. They had realised breaking up didn’t solve anything and their love was so strong now they couldn’t live without the other.

Eunji and Naeun on the other hand, appeared deep in conversation. Eunji kept her smile throughout despite Naeun’s seemingly cold behaviour.

"Love is really unpredictable." said Namjoo as she observed them. "I mean look at the four of them. Chorong unnie can never live without Bomi unnie. No matter how many times she tells her heart to say no, she couldn’t. But I'm more surprised with what's going on with Naeun and Eunji unnie. Those two are really secretive. Who would've thought they were having something together? Man, if only I could detect it earlier..."

"I kind of knew that Eunji unnie was seeing someone." said Hayoung.

"Wow, really?" gasped Namjoo with her wide eyes.

"Eunji unnie’s always not at work these days. I don't know where she goes but I guess, she's meeting her."

"That might actually be possible. I mean, Naeun unnie isn't that active in my group chats so..."

"I think there are different phases when it comes to love." said Hayoung as she looked at the sky.

"Phases?" asked Namjoo in curiousity. She was wondering what was going on in her robot's mind again.

"Eunji and Naeun, those two are just starting to have feelings for each other, the first phase of love. The other two, were almost on the verge of breaking apart as they were faced with a new problem. The third phase of love."

"Then which phase are we in?" asked the older girl.

"The middle."

"The middle?"

"Yes." Hayoung nodded as she turned to look at Namjoo. "Because we are in the middle of getting to know each other better, in the middle of understanding and shaping our own definition of love."

"So are you saying that eventually, we'll have to reach the third phase one day?"

"It will come. But no one knows when."

"Then when that time comes..." Namjoo tugged Hayoung's sleeve. "You won't leave me right?" She looked into her brown orbs.

Hayoung looks at her with a reassuring smile.

"I won't. Promise."

 

 

 


A/N: A promise is a promise....right? Thank you for reading, updates are still going to be a little slow but I'll try my best to get it up soon. :)