Wedding

Housemate

 

Namjoo's POV

 

It happened so quickly. Indeed, Hayoung is a girl who is super quick when it comes to important matters like our marriage. In a blink of an eye, here we are, in my hometown, at the entrance to my house. It's already 6pm in the evening since it took about 2 hours by bus to get here, and we're starving. I haven't told my mom that I'm coming over so it's more of a surprise. I just hope this goes well.

"Let's go in." said Hayoung as she turned to look at me. Her gleaming eyes full of confidence as she extended her hand to me. Does she have a plan to go against my patriarchal and conservative family?

"Mm." I nodded. I wanted to put my trust into her as I slipped my hand into hers.

In fact, she looked different now. It was a quiet bus ride here and Hayoung seemed to be deep in thought throughout. I hope that this change is for the better.

With a deep breath, I pressed the doorbell. We slipped into “lovers” mode while waiting for an answer. Just like how we did, back with Hayoung's grandparents. Within two minutes, the door clicked open. I had expected my mom to appear but guess what, it's that annoying brother of mine whom I hoped not to see.

"Oh? Namjoo? What are you doing here?" Sungjae asked with his eyes wide open, before he turned to scan Hayoung who was standing beside me. "Who's this?"

"My girlfriend. I'm going to marry her." I said blatantly with a straight expression.

"G-G-Girl-" He gasped with a pause. "DAD! MOM! NAMJOO IS A LESBIAN!!!!" He shouted as he ran inside. Oh my god. I knew it! He seriously just makes things worse! I hate him so much!

"Hey! Yook Sungjae!" I shouted, helpless as I could hear my dad and mom inside, creating a fuss.

"Is he okay?" asked Hayoung.

"Don't mind him. All you have to do is pay attention to my father. But thanks to my brother, we're kinda screwed." I sighed. "Come on, let's go in."

 

 

 

Hayoung's POV

 

 

I could feel the cold stares from Namjoo's father as her whole family settled down at the table, all eyes on me. Her father directly in front, her mother at the side while her brother, Sungjae and his wife, Joy were seated at the other corner. I gulped. I did not have this in plan. But I believe the chances of this working, is still very possible. I scanned my eyes around the house, it seemed like a typical rural family home. Evidence of worn-out walls and cracked floors, were enough to conclude my probability of this being a success.

"Dad...." I hear Namjoo trying to speak.

"I told you to move out but I did not tell you to go out looking for love! What's even more shocking is you found a girl!" Her father shouted in a loud voice, causing me to flinch. He sure is scary just as Namjoo told me. "You should look for a strong, capable man! Not a woman!" He slammed his hands onto the table.

"I love her, father." I said clearly, hands politely on my lap as I got ready for the next battle.

"Nonsense!" He said in a scoff.

"You can't beat love father! So what if like girls? The world is changing! Stop being so conservative and sticking to your traditional values appa!" I can see that Namjoo is trying her best. She defends well. My turn to attack.

"Stay out of this!" Her father scowled.

"Father." I said, standing up as I revealed our hidden card, literally, a namecard from my wallet "I believe it is important for you to know about my family. I believe our union will bring great benefits to your family." Carefully, I gave him the card and sat down, allowing him time to analyse its contents. This should work.

"This......" He said after reading it. "You...." His eyes widened after that. Checkmate. It's final. We've won. "Father, I promise to make your daughter the happiest woman in the world. You do not need to worry about her living in Seoul, because she has me. We love each other and would like your blessing on our marriage. I believe in this age, gender does not matter anymore when it comes to love. After all, it would be wise if you wouldn't let this chance slip, father." I explained in a calm manner. From the corner of my eye, I could see Namjoo staring at me in awe. I guess she did not expect that at all.

Well, I do keep a lot of secrets.

"Very well." The man said after much pondering. He slammed his hands on the table, looking at me with a piercing gaze. He admitted his defeat and said the magic words. "I will allow this marriage."

"Honey...." Namjoo's mother surely didn't seem very accepting over his quick decision.

"I hope that you will take good care of my daughter, in exchange for these “benefits” your family can provide." He said, personally standing from his seat as he reached out his hand.

"Of course, father." I smiled as we exchanged a handshake.

 

 

 

 

Namjoo's POV

 

 

 

I gasped in awe, lost in words as we were already back on the bus headed home. Hayoung is seriously such a mysterious girl who can seemingly make the impossible, possible. Wow.

"Hayoung-ah, you're amazing." I said, raising my hand for a high-five. Noticing the girl's eyebrows furrowing in confusion, I broke into a laughter. That's right, I forgot. She's a silly robot who doesn't know simple human interactions like these. I forced a high-five onto her palm with a grin. "I wanted to give you a high-five." I said.

"I see." There she goes, responding with the same set of short answers.

"So I guess it means that, we're officially going to be married right?" I asked in which she nodded in response. I was, happy because we can finally settle this once and for all. "Everything's settled?"

"Yes. Since we agreed to skip the ceremony, most of the procedures are done. All that's left is the signing of our marriage certificate."

Alright! Finally, all of this is over!

Or so I thought.

The day both of our parents met, they insisted on holding a wedding ceremony. The two of us retaliated but instead we were cornered by these words:

 

"We will pay for all the costs so you girls don't need to worry. Let the adults handle it, it's the most we can do. After all, marriage is a once in a lifetime occasion. We want you two to have the best memory of your wedding."

 

And so, we had no choice but to say yes. Hayoung had to take an extra week off to prepare.

I know, a week?!

We went for the fastest possible way to get married. Rented out the cheapest venue on a weekday, it's cost-efficient with the least possible need for wedding photography and dresses, who would've thought getting married is such a hassle? I mean, sure it makes me excited that I would be wearing a beautiful white dress but I'm not sure how that robot of mine, would feel. Ever since our parent's decision to hold the ceremony, she had remained silent since, going about mechanically, making sure the ceremony would go well.

Honestly, I didn't mind holding a ceremony. After all, it's the most important part of a wedding. You get to wear a bridal dress, exchange your vows, throw flowers at the end, take photos with your friends, what else did I miss?

Wait.

Kiss.

A kiss.

Eh?

We have to kiss?!

The faint memory of Hayoung kissing me surfaced again. It never fails to make my heart skip a beat, gosh it's strange. I mean, there's nothing wrong with a girl kissing my lips right? But whenever I think of her, it just makes me bounce. Sure, she's always had this dull expression painted over her face but there's just something about her that makes it different. Her actions, the way she looks at me, it makes me nervous.

Before I even knew it, time flew so fast because we were both so busy in preparing it.

Today, is our wedding day.

 

 

 

 

Author's POV

 

 

 

It was a small ceremony held privately with only family members and close friends. Guests were ushered into the hall and seated, others waited in line to take pictures with the two brides.

"Namjoo-ya! You look so beautiful!" said Chorong, smiling bly as she saw her friend in the bridal gown.

"I can't believe it's really happening. You're getting married." said Naeun in disbelief, yet a happy smile printed over her face.

"Are you two jealous?" teased Namjoo as she pulled her two unnies over. "Let's take a picture!"

The three girls giggled like little kids and posed for the camera. Although the secret about Namjoo's marriage would probably never be revealed but in this very moment, it was something meaningful for the trio.

Hayoung on the other hand, didn't have a lot of guests waiting. It doesn't bother her anyway. She never had a lot of friends, just a close few whom she could trust like Eunji and Bomi. Instead, she was mentally preparing herself for the ceremony later. She had made a lot of research and wondered whether what was required has to be done.

A kiss.

 The very thought of it, made her nervous. Even though she has done it before voluntarily, the same numbing feeling was there.

"What is that? Am I seeing this right? Our Hayoungie is nervous?!" teased Eunji as she stared at the girl with a snicker.

"I took a peek at your bride earlier. She's really pretty!" winked Bomi.

"Yes. She's very." Hayoung paused as she turned to look at Bomi directly. "Pretty." She said, emphasizing the word.

"Oooh~ did you hear that? She's totally smitten!" said Eunji, nudging Bomi.

"I'll be looking forward to how you're going to kiss her later!" laughed Bomi as the two had to leave to get to their seats.

Hayoung froze, hearing Bomi's words echoing in her mind. Kiss. How on earth is she supposed to do it, in front of 50 people?

As it was almost time for the ceremony, guests who were socialising around the reception area and returned to their respective tables. It was then two amongst them happened upon one another.

"Bomi?"

"Chorong unnie?"

The couple were surprised to see each other at the venue. They had told each other that they were going to attend a friend's wedding but did not expect it to be the same one.

"Miss...Son?" gulped Eunji as she stared blankly at girl whom she had a one night stand with, weeks ago.

"I-I don't know you, sorry." stuttered Naeun as she suddenly grabbed onto Chorong's arm. "Unnie, let's go somewhere else." she whispered.

"But why? Bomi's right here, and she has her friend Eunji with her."

"Unnie...this Eunji of hers-"

"Hello Chorong-ssi! I believe we haven't formally met before. What a coincidence seeing you here!" Eunji interrupted their whispering conversation in the middle. "I'll leave you two alone. How about we have a little chat, Miss Son Naeun?" The girl smiled, smoothly grabbing Naeun's wrist as she dragged her to the other side of the hall, leaving the couple alone.

"Let go of me." said Naeun coldly, struggling to pull away from Eunji.

"Come on, don't act like you don't know."

"I-I don't know what you're talking about." The girl stuttered, avoiding eye contact as she crossed her arms.

"Room 305. Doesn't it ring a bell?" Eunji smirked as she scanned the girl. Although she didn't have much memory of that night, but being able to look at her face up close was enough to tell that, her heart was beating wildly for her. The moment she set her eyes on something, she will not give up no matter what.

"So what? Are you going to tease me? Call me names? What do you want?" sighed Naeun, wanting to get this over with.

"No. None of that at all. I thought maybe, we can get a little more acquainted with each other since we've done something more together."

"Sorry. But, can you just do me a favour and pretend that it never happened?"

"Sure, on one condition."

"What?"

"Date me." smirked Eunji.

Naeun almost cussed out in frustration. She hated how this girl was so sly.

 

 

 

 

Namjoo's POV

 

 

 

I checked the time on my phone. 7:55pm. Five more minutes till the ceremony starts. As I sat in the waiting room and got ready for the staff's signal, the thought of the "kiss" was slowly driving me crazy. I wondered if Hayoung is feeling as nervous as I am. Is she even aware that we are suppose to kiss?

"Namjoo unnie.."

Speak of the devil. She's right here.

"Hayoung-ah...."

"Is everything okay?" Man, her eyes. For the first time, they looked worried. I'm glad that her emotions are really returning back. Slowly but surely she is becoming more human.

"Did you come over because you think I would be nervous?" I asked in which she nodded. Ah, even the way she nods her head. It's cute.

"But Hayoung-ah." I paused. "Later when we do the ceremony we're gonna-"

"Kiss."

There. She said it. Hearing the word itself, was causing my heart to jump.

"Y-Yeah...." I stuttered nervously.

"I'll do it. Don't worry."

"But..."

"Remember. This is just an act. We'll be fine." The girl said. And for the first time, she genuinely smiled. She actually smiled effortlessly and with emotion! Wow, who would've thought seeing it would make all those jitters disappear. Oh Hayoung is amazing at calming me down.

"Alright Hayoung-ah. I'll put my trust in you!" I said. "By the way, I'm really glad that you're smiling more often."

"I'm trying my best."

Did I hear that correct? I think she was mumbling those words. She was speaking to me while looking elsewhere. I guess, it's still a bit difficult for her to express her own feelings huh?

Doesn't matter, she’s still cute.

Who would've thought that I'll be marrying this adorable robot who is trying her best to open that icy heart of hers, bit by bit? Is it because of me? Will things be different if I was never her housemate in the first place?

We started off as total strangers. My initial impression of her was anything but “normal”. I was worried if I was able to cope such a character. But as time went by, she became more than just that. I probably shouldn’t judge a book by its cover but I couldn’t help it back then as she was really unique. The more I spend time with her, the more I was able to see behind that wall she was built around her.

And I'm sure that I'm one step closer, to catch her in my hands.

"Let's go and get married, Hayoung-ah." I said with a smile, extending my arm.

"Let's go, Namjoo unnie."

 

 

 

 

Author's POV

 

 

 

"And now, allow us to present the highlight of the day! Please rise and put your hands together for our beautiful new couple!" The MC announced, as the doors opened, as the two brides started their walk down the aisle. Rose petals were gently tossed from the side as the audience clapped in unison. Family and friends alike, watched the newlyweds with b smiles and joyful faces.

After the priest have finished presiding over the exchanging of vows, the moment had arrived.

The kiss.

 

"You may kiss the bride."

 

The very words from the priest sent the girls into a mild panic as they stared at each other. They knew they had to do it smoothly and quick or their cover might be blown. It didn't even take three seconds. Within a flash, Hayoung closed her eyes, gently pulled Namjoo's face close and pecked on her forehead.

"THAT'S IT?! HEY KISS HER PROPERLY YOU LITTLE BRAT!" Eunji was shouting from her table.

"YEAH DO IT! ONE MORE TIME! ONE MORE TIME!" supported Bomi, joining in the tease.

Hayoung stared at them with widened eyes. At that moment, she felt an urge to walk over and strangle both of them. The girl was at a loss, unsure how to handle this situation. But at that moment, she felt Namjoo in her grasp.

"It's okay. I'll do it this time." The older girl whispered as she suddenly grabbed Hayoung's cheeks and and pressed her lips against Hayoung’s. Both Eunji and Bomi cheered with the crowd in response.

The ceremony ended with the start of the dinner feast as guests mingled around friends and family. Clashes of toast glasses and laughter rose over the din of cheery dinner chatter. The brides took quick bites and then stood by while well wishers came up for further small talk and group photo taking. The newly-weds went about their duties in a daze with their hearts still beating crazily. The after-effects of the kiss were still lingering and they had hope the blush on their cheeks wouldn’t look too obvious.

"Hey, are you okay? You're not having a fever right?" asked a worried Chorong, placing her palm on Namjoo's forehead.

"Y-Yeah, I'm totally fine unnie! Why don't you go enjoy your meal and hang out with your girlfriend?" said Namjoo insisting that she was completely fine.

"Nah, I think she wants to spend some time with her friend, Eunji. The two look like they haven't seen each other in a while." smiled Chorong as she looked into the direction of where Bomi was seated, right next to Eunji as the two were engaged in a serious conversation.

"You don't look very good Naeun unnie. Did something happen?" asked Namjoo, noticing the sullen girl beside Chorong. She had her arms crossed and sipping her wine apprehensively. Before Namjoo could continue, Chorong pulled her closer and whispered into her ears, explaining everything that happened. The fact that Eunji is the girl whom Naeun had accidentally had a one night stand with and was now being blackmailed into dating her.

The worst part?

Eunji had threatened Naeun to reveal the size of her bra to her co-workers, which is pretty savage.

"What?!" gasped Namjoo before having covered by Chorong.

"Let's talk about this later. Come on, it's your day today. Let's celebrate okay?" smiled the older girl as she tried to figure out a way to lighten the mood. "Hey! Let's take a photo together with your wife!" The girl suggested, calling Hayoung over. There was a catch though, because Eunji and Bomi came along as well.

It turned into group photo taken with the two brides in between their friends. Chorong and Naeun on the left with Namjoo. Bomi and Eunji on the right with Hayoung.

"Alright. Smile for the camera, 3, 2, 1, cheese!" said the photographer as he took one snap.

In the photo, Namjoo and Hayoung had their arms awkwardly intertwined with each other, a simple smile printed on their faces. Chorong and Bomi were staring lovingly at each other while Eunji and Naeun were avoiding eye contact, like a couple who got into a fight.

And that was how, the wedding came to an end.

What first started out as a contract and turned into something more, the truth has been masked perfectly thanks to the meticulous efforts of Namjoo and Hayoung. As abided in their contract, they were now married and had no problems with their house.

Namjoo continued to pay her monthly rent while Hayoung's finance remained stable as life seemed to continue normally ever since.

Or is it?

 

 

--

 

 


 

A/N: Hajoo are officially married, not out of love but for a house. Marriage comes in the strangest ways but surely, there's more to this story coming up especially with that kiss that's driving those two crazy~ But what is the secret behind the namecard that Hayoung gave? Hmm still a mystery but we've got a bit of a 2eun encounter here with a sly Eunji asking Naeun out haha. Do you think that might be some progression with Chomi? They seem to be the happy couple with no troubles for now. Thank you for reading! Do share your thoughts and I will try my best to update soon~