Awkward

Housemate

 

Hayoung's POV

 

[Flashback]

 

I wanted to escape. I wanted to free myself from her grasp but she was just too strong. How in the world does she get all that strength even when drunk? Trapped in her embrace, her thick lips were pressing against mine. I could feel the heat immediately gushing through my skin, it was a strange feeling. I didn't want to open my mouth because I knew it was the wrong path to turn. I was a persistent wall and no matter how much Namjoo tried to pierce through, I remained closed. But because of this action, I did not expect this thing to happen.

Because Namjoo could not penetrate her kiss further, I began to feel a le on my lower lip. It was a disgusting feeling yet, why does it feel so strange like a gentle tickle? Suddenly, her body automatically moved forward, her legs straddled in between my waist as I could feel her warmth much more clearly. Already, my heart was thumping like crazy but I tried my best to remain my calm and cool. Like a mannequin, I stayed still as I felt her light kisses travelling from my lips down to my neck.

This is a challege for myself. I must learn to resist. I treated this as a form of meditation. I wanted to cancel out everything that I was feeling, hearing and experiencing. I didn't care what Namjoo was doing because she was drunk. I have to imagine that I am nothing. I am just a lifeless doll. That's right. This is all a dream and it will end soon. This suffering that I go through, will be over.

Feeling her lips tickling onto my collarbone, I have no idea what in the world is she doing. She said that she was hungry. Don't tell me she thinks that I'm some piece of food or something. Drunk people have such a creative imagination, god knows what goes on in that mind of hers.

"Open your mouth." The girl suddenly stopped all of her actions and looked straight into my eyes. Those eyes screamed of lust. No way am I going to let her conquer me.

"I said open it!" she said in an annoyed tone. Wow, she sure has a temper while drunk. I'll keep it a note to not let Namjoo touch alcohol ever again. I shook my head in response, my eyes shut tight. I refuse to even be part of this anymore.

"You're so mean." Namjoo pouted as I could feel her weight pressing against me. Without any resistance, I fell onto her bed and now, I was fully trapped in her zone. There goes my escape. I really hope she will pass out soon or something. I really just want to get out of here. But it was the total opposite. With the two of us stuck together like glue, her arms locked around mine, her legs wrapped through mine and I was like a bug in a spider's web.

Looks like I'm spending a night here.

Great. I sighed.

It was only until morning arrived, that I realised this was never a dream. It never was.

 

[End of Flashback]

 

 

 

 

Author's POV

 

"I...I....I DID THAT?!" shouted Namjoo in disbelief as the two were now seated at the dining table.

Hayoung nodded with a straight, unchanged expression. Although she looked fine, but inside her heart was beating like crazy. She was fighting to control her emotions. Usually, she never felt anything but since the arrival of her new housemate, she has experienced so many emotions she has never felt before. And, she hates her for that. Why? Because it ruins her "momentum".

"Oh my god.....I'm.....I'm so sorry Hayoung-ah....." gasped Namjoo, realising her actions. Now, she understood what Hayoung meant by hearing the story will "ruin" their relationship. Never before had she felt this sudden gush of awkwardness filling up in the air. She was sorry, not because she was drunk but because of what Hayoung had to endure. After all, she probably stole her first kiss and left her scarred for life. She's at fault and she didn't know how to fix the cracks.

Silence followed after. With what happened in the morning with Hayoung's grandparents and now, the reveal of what occured last night, there was a lot to take in.

"Hayoung-ah-"

"Let's forget that this conversation ever existed. That also includes what happened last night." said Hayoung.

"But I can't just-"

"Erase that memory. It's easy as long as you don't think about it."

"But-"

"Now that we're done with my side, let's focus on your parents." said the younger girl, wanting to change the topic immediately.

"Right....." sighed Namjoo, noticing the hint. "Do you want to go there tommorow?"

"Sounds good. The sooner we're done with this-"

"The faster we can get over with this marriage process. I know. I heard you." Namjoo interrupted in which Hayoung paused, looking at her with wide eyes. She did not expect that at all. "So let's meet tommorow at 8am and take the first bus okay?" she said, suddenly standing up from her seat.

"Sounds good."

"Mm. Then... I'll....see....you...tommorow then, Hayoung-ah." said Namjoo in an awkward tone, avoiding her eye contact as her feet slowly crept backwards and slowly, she disappeared into her room while shutting the door tight.

 

 

 

 

Namjoo's POV

 

 

 

"OH MY GOD KIM NAMJOO YOU IDIOT!!!!!!" I shouted to myself at the mirror. Staring into my reflection, I can't believe I did that. Gosh, I'm stupid. Stupid, stupid, stupid! All of my chances to make Hayoung, my housemate a best friend are all gone. We're going to be totally awkward from now on. Heck, I should really stop drinking alcohol. No, none of these would've happened if the unnies didn't force me to chunk all of that liquor! Looking back at the mirror agian, my heart skipped as I stared at my lips. It came back all over again. The kiss at her grandparent's house, the kiss I did while I was drunk, oh my god. I can't believe...I kissed a girl. And the worst part, it's my housemate.

I wanted to kill myself so badly. i'm just joking But really though, what do I do now? Do I really just pretend like nothing happened? How does Hayoung even stay fine after what I've done? 

I sat still on my bed for minutes, reflecting over my actions. I felt so suffocated being in the room, this was going nowhere. I decided to change my clothes into something more comfortable and headed out. Carefully opening the door, I scanned the living room. Hayoung isn't here. Good. Carefully with my bag strapped across my shoulder, I crept through the corridor and went out. Calling for a taxi, I wasn't sure where to go.

"Sir, please take me to Hongdae, thank you."

I just needed somewhere to clear my mind and get some fresh air. There was just too much going on in that house. By the time I got out, I never realised how I found comfort by just being in the crowd. I've always found them annoying because I'm small and I always get pushed around. But today, I liked being in that sea where no one can find you. Isolating myself like a shadow as I squeezed myself into the corner, with my own personal space as I walked along the streets of Hongdae, accompanied with music and murmurs of people talking. Window shopping. It was the perfect thing to distract my distorted mind. Going though shops that displayed colourful clothes, accessories and makeup, truly a girl's heaven. 

It's a Saturday today. Hongdae is packed, restuarants were full and there were long queues. Looking around, there were couples holding their hands and groups of people who were laughing together. It must be good to be young. At the age of thirty, I've already outgrown all of these processes of youth. I quitted the job of my dreams, left the love of my life and now, ruined the relationship of my housemate whom I'm going to marry. Kim Namjoo, you are amazing. Wow.

I know there's no point turning back anymore. I can't suddenly say that I don't want to get married. If I do that, I'll lose my home and I would have no other choice but to return to my hometown. Working at the father's restaurant under his ist rule? No way!

I would rather marry Hayoung than go back to that hell hole! Wait.

Hayoung.

I paused as I remembered her face crossing my thoughts. That girl.

I don't know. Everytime I think about her, my heart feels confused. Flashbacks of her kiss returned and I could feel something churning inside my stomach. What is this? I mean, if Hayoung was a guy, that would be a big problem. She's a girl and younger than me. Kisses on the lips isn't that much of a thing.....but, why do I feel so nervous? As I remembered back what Hayoung told me, I was the one who initiated the kiss because I was drunk. I had no control of myself so it's my fault.

What is this? It's strange. I can't find an answer to this.

It was then, I found myself unconciously touching my own lips. Crap. What the hell is wrong with me?!

 

 

 

 

 

Hayoung's POV

 

 

 

 

I heard the door closing.

I knew it.

Namjoo left.

I don't know where but I guess she must've felt uncomfortable after hearing the story. 

Laying on my bed, I stared blankly at the ceiling. I don't know how long but I realised that I felt asleep afterwards. I assume it was exhaustion. Faintly, that dream returned again. Like a film that repeated each second and minute that occured, I can still vividly remember every single detail of that night. My housemate, who kissed me. I can't control my own dreams and there's nothing I can do. It felt like torture. Why? Why do I keep thinking about it? That kiss.

No, what's important is the marriage. I am meeting Namjoo's parents tommorow and I need to prepare. Waking up from a quick nap, I was surprised how fast time went by. It was already 4pm. Opening the door slightly and peeking through the small opening, it appears that Namjoo has not yet returned. Why do I feel relieved by that? With a sigh, I proceeded to take my tablet from the desk and began planning out a strategy for tommorow. I referred back to the notes I took down during our discussion. As I look at it again, this is going to be hard. 

First, Namjoo's father believes in a traditional ideology where a woman must marry a man. Woman-to-woman marriage is a nightmare to his onw context. No matter what kind of bull or excuses I can come up with, they prove to be only 5% successful. How can I form a checkmate in this situation? In that moment, there was a buzz from my phone.

"Hey, you up?" - Eunji unnie

"Yeah."

"Good. Get ready. We're meeting another investor. This time, it's a big shot. Son Technologies."

"Okay. Location?"

"Shila Hotel at 6pm. Don't be late, dress well and don't forget the files."

I did as told. Taking a shower and changing into formal clothes, I took one last look into the mirror and prepared to head out with the important documents. Taking the subway, it didn't take long to arrive at the prestigious hotel where the rich would stay. It's not my kind of class. After all, Eunji unnie is paying for it. If it was me, it would add an extra 2 years to my debt. well i'm just exaggerating but that's just how grand it was.

"There you are! Hayoung-ah!" waved Eunji unnie as she approached me the moment I took a step into the hotel. As always, I can never beat her fashion style. Obviously, she is richer than me, with a neat coat, white blouse and tailor-made pants, anyone can tell that she's a CEO and I'm her staff. But that doesn't bother me.

"Are they here already?" I asked.

"Yup! They are inside the restaurant. Thanks for bringing the documents." she said with a smile, taking the thick envelope and folder away from my arms. "Let's go. Remember, be at your best behaviour." she whispered, while casually patting my shoulder as the two of us entered.

Son Tech Corporations. Known as the biggest IT conglomerate in Seoul, they have full ownership in the production of household applicances, electronical equipments and is part of the R&D partnership with the government who seeks to research future science developments in the medical sector. Why would they set their eyes on an MMORPG company? We're nothing but a small fry to their eyes.

As soon as we entered and arrived at the destinated table, the two of us bowed in unison. It was a rather, old man and a familiar lady standing next to him. I did not expect to see her at all. Son Naeun. I remember. She's Namjoo's friend.

"Hello sir, I'm Oh Hayoung, the chief programmer of Jung Creations." I said. For a few seconds, Eunji didn't say anything. I glanced and nudged her. This is strange. She seems to be completely blank, staring straight at Naeun.

"Unnie." I whispered.

"Ah, right!" said Eunji all of a sudden. "Sorry. I haven't been getting much sleep so I get out of a space sometimes. A pleasure to meet you, I'm Jung Eunji, CEO of Jung Creations." 

"No worries. You can just call me Mr.Son. You already know that I'm the CEO of Son Corporations. This is my granddaughter, Son Naeun. She works as my secretary." smiled the man.

"S-Son...Na....eun....." Eunji unnie dragged the last word. "Pleasure meeting you." she said with a smile, reaching her hand out for a shake.

"Nice meeting you." Naeun replied coldly, lightly shaking her hand before hiding it behind her back.

I sighed in relief. At least today, I didn't have to take over this whole process.

During the meeting, it was mostly Eunji unnie and the old man talking. I would often take glances at Naeun, not because she's pretty. No. I just felt strange how Namjoo has a friend like her. 

After 3 hours, the meeting went smoothly and now, I can finally go home.

 

 

 

 

Author's POV

 

 

 

With the big business over, Eunji offered to drive Hayoung home, as thanks for her coming along.

"Unnie." said Hayoung, breaking the silence.

"Mm?"

"You weren't your usual self today."

"Oh, did it look that obvious?" she asked.

Hayoung nodded as she stared at her. 

"We live in such a small, small world." Eunji sighed. 

The younger girl looked at her with confused eyes.

"I know. You have no idea what I'm saying. Do you really want to know the truth?"

"If it makes you uncomfortable, you don't need to."

"Well, you know that girl? Son Corporation's secretary, Son Naeun?" 

Hayoung nodded her head in response.

"I had a one-night stand with her before. At a bar some weeks ago."

The younger girl sighed upon hearing those words. It isn't surprising to her at all, because she knows that her boss does that all the time. Not that she sleeps with people, but she has the habit of going to bars and drinking with strangers. But, spending a night with someone has never happened.

Not until now.

"I told you to stop going to those places. It will only ruin your body. If the heart of the company collapses, do you think the brain can work without it?"

"I know! I just can't help it okay?!" said Eunji in frustration, as if she had already reflected her actions. Slamming her hand onto the steering wheel, she looked towards the aurora night skies shining over the windscreen. "I've made a decision. I'm going to say yes."

"This is a risky decision. You can't choose love over company. You're obviously saying yes to the agreement just so you can see Naeun more often."

"Have you experienced being in love, Hayoung-ah?" Eunji turned to ask her.

The younger girl was taken aback by that question and simply responded in silence.

"What am I saying?" Eunji smiled sadly. "You're getting married so of course, you already know the answer, you little brat." she said, extending her head out to ruffle Hayoung's hair. As she examined the face of her young friend whom she had been watching over for 17 years now, it was still unbelievable to think that she would be the first one getting married. Remembering the times they were together, she broke into a sigh. 

 

"You're all grown up now."

 

"Don't worry about me, Hayoung-ah. I'm not stupid. I'll deal with Naeun myself. She and the company are two different matters in my life." the girl chuckled.

"Good." said Hayoung in relief.

"So, how are things going?" the older girl suddenly turned serious. "It must be hard to convince her parents that you two are marrying. Not as a man-to-woman, but as woman-to-woman. Society still finds it hard to accept things, especially to the older generation."

"I...I don't know unnie."

"Well. Allow Eunji unnie to give you some advice." she smiled. "If talking doesn't work, you use this." Her thumb and forefinger started to rub against each other. "Money. Money is the answer to everything."

"Not everything." Hayoung answered, immediately shutting down her idea.

"Come on, you wouldn't know if you'd try. It's called a hypothesis. I know you well." she smirked.

The younger girl crossed her arms. Maybe it would work, against a family who is male-dominated and is of middle-class.

"I know you'll do well." said Eunji.

 

 

 

 

Namjoo's POV

 

 

 

The new day has arrived, the day Hayoung and I meet my parents. Last night was still quite a blur. I got super tired from walking and shopping that I slept like a log, before Hayoung even came home. As I looked myself into the mirror, making sure my hair is neat and my attire is presentable, I headed to the kitchen and made breakfast. For such an important day, I need lots of food to keep me up and running.

As I was so preoccupied in cooking some omelettes and stir-fried meat, I didn't even notice Hayoung walking past me to get her daily cup of coffee.

"Oh, Hayoung-ah. Good morning!" I smiled with a bow. Just as she said, we should forget what happened. Completely delete that memory from our heads and start anew.

That's my resolution.

Hayoung simply bowed without a word, walked to the table and sipped her coffee. I swear, how does she even survive the day with that?! There's no way she'll be full!

"Just coffee is enough for you?" I asked in which she nodded. Come on, can't she say something at least? She's not mute.

"How about you eat something?"

"It's okay." she said. Wow, if she's gonna be like that, I'm gonna have to take this the harsher way. I took an extra plate from the kitchen, served rice, half of my omelette, meat and placed it right in front of Hayoung.

"Eat it." I said as I crossed my arms. "A girl like you needs to eat more."

She looked at me stunned. She probably wasn't even expecting me to do that. Ha.

"T..Thank you for the food..." she mumbled.

I smiled. My stubborness made it.

You did a great job, Kim Namjoo!

 

 

 

 

 

Author's POV

 

 

 

 

Silence filled the house, with only the sounds of their mouths chewing away. Hayoung constantly stared at her plate while Namjoo would occasionally look at her, for particular reasons. She was still very sure that her housemate has emotions, and wanted to find out ways to see more of it. She wanted to see everything, anger, happiness, sadness, frustrations, all of it.

"Hey, what do you think married couples do?" asked Namjoo, wanting to start a conversation. Ever since that incident, she wanted to put their relationship into a reset. She wanted to start it all over again and do it right. She genuinely wanted to be friends with her. Not because she was going to marry her, but because she just finds her really interesting.

"Often the norm of what the society thinks."

"Like what?"

"Sharing their money, discussing their problems, getting in arguments, hugging, kiss-" Hayoung paused. "Like those kind of things." she cleared .

Noticing the sudden pause, Namjoo smiled widely.

"So, kissing is normal right?" The girl teased.

Hayoung looked up with widened eyes and froze. She knew what the girl was hinting.

"I'm just joking." Namjoo laughed. "You take things so seriously. What are you? A robot?"

"Perhaps. I don't know what emotions are." Hayoung responded as she continued to eat.

"But I saw you getting angry before."

"Did I?"

"Totally!"

"You must be dreaming." Hayoung said, refusing to accept her words.

Namjoo smiled at her words. Even though they felt so cold, but they were a sign closer to breaking those walls surrouding Hayoung. 

All of sudden, the doorbell rang.

"I'll get it." said Namjoo as she stood up.

"No, I'll get it." Hayoung intervened in between as she walked towards the door. No one ever visits this house except for a few people that she knows. And by those "few" people, were the ones she never wanted to see. At least, she had hope it wasn't them and prayed it was just some deliveryman or a contracter coming to check on things. Yet, she was having a really strange gut feeling. It did not feel good at all.

As she opened the door and looked at who it was standing in front of her, she knew exactly what those feelings meant. With a gulp, she couldn't believe her eyes. 

The nightmare that she had wanted to run away forever, was right there.

Her mom.

 

 

 

--

 

 

 


 

A/N: Hayoung who has given us many hints that she was never on good terms with her family, now has a visitor, her mom. Also, this chapter has little hints of 2eun's relationship and a good bit of Haji haha. You will see some progress later in the chapters including Chomi too ;) Thank you for reading and I will try my best to update soon~