Smile

Housemate

 

Author's POV

 

"Hayoung-ah...." The older girl was taken aback. She had not expected this to happen. But it was true. She was doing a favour for her mother-in-law who wanted to make her only daughter happy again.

A sigh followed as the girl avoided eye contact. Turning to stare at the claw machine box filled with several other plushies waiting to be won, she was in a mental breakdown. As much as she was aware of her emotions returning, this was not what she had wanted. Because those emotions brought back memories of her childhood, the one which she had tried so hard to run away from.

"I'm sorry Namjoo unnie. But please, stop meeting with my mother." said Hayoung as she looked back at Namjoo with fury in her eyes.

"Hayoung-ah..."

"I know that she forced you to talk to her so it's not your fault. It's mine because I didn’t prevent it. But please stop meddling into my own business, I will take care of this myself. Just focus on our marriage and nothing else."

"Marriage involves your family, how can I say no?"

"Didn't I tell you to just let me handle it?" The girl suddenly raised her voice, full of annoyance. "Why did you start running your mouth? I told you to just keep quiet."

"Hayoung-ah, why are you suffering all this by yourself?! Marriage isn't like that. We're going to be together now, meaning we have to help each other. I want to help you." said Namjoo in desperation and confusion as she tugged onto her arms.

"There's nothing you can do to help." Hayoung responded coldly, pulling away from Namjoo’s grasp.

"There is." Namjoo insisted, refusing to give up as she forcefully put her hands back, took her purse out and revealed an envelope. Inside, was a handwritten letter from Hayoung's mother. "I promised her and I don't break promises. I've already made my choice so you can't make me stop. If you think that I'm annoying, that's fine. I know that you can't break our contract now, because I'm the one who balances your budget. You can't run away from your past forever Hayoung-ah. I want you to settle it once and for all." The older girl said, eyes burning with determination. "Read it. At least." she begged.

The younger girl was speechless. She was completely cornered by Namjoo who cunningly got through to her. She could not checkmate her in this position. All the cards are already laid out on the table. There is no turning back on their marriage contract. Plus, Namjoo is the perfect candidate as her housemate meaning, if she were to kick her out, Hayoung would lose everything.

Since when was Hayoung so careless?

She was usually very meticulous but today, she made a mistake. She couldn't say no, because of the circumstances they were in.

"I'll read it later." said Hayoung coldly, taking the envelope and shoved it inside her pocket. "It's late. We should go back home." She continued, avoiding eye contact as she walked away without even waiting for Namjoo.

She needed time for herself, a moment to free her thoughts.

"Hayoung-ah, wait!" said Namjoo as she picked up the plushie Hayoung had won earlier, before running after her.

 

 

 

Namjoo's POV

 

 

 

By the time we arrived home, Hayoung literally retreated into her room before I could even call out to her.

"Hayoung-" The door slammed before I could complete my sentence. Wow, since when was she in such a mood? What is she, a teenager going through puberty?

But I guess she needs some alone time for herself, especially with all that's happening. I tried putting myself in her shoes, meeting a mother whom she had avoided for 7 years and the return of her emotions. Slowly, but surely I'll be able to return that favour for Hayoung's mother.

To make her smile again.

Promises can't be broken after all.

"It's really like what you said mother." I mumbled to myself, staring at the plushie in my hand. I honestly enjoyed our “date” earlier. Hayoung is human after all, I'm sure she had a great time exploring the streets of Hongdae, eating good food and doing things a normal person would do. She can't just rot at home with Bbang and stick her onto the couch all day. In fact, I still have her smile embedded into my head. Why doesn’t Hayoung realise how beautiful she is when she smiles? My heart fluttered again just thinking about it. It's such a good, exhilarating feeling when she's happy.

Because when she's happy, I'm happy.

That's it, I made my resolution.

I'm going to stick to her like glue and make Hayoung happy as much as I can.

With that, I smiled and returned to my room. Carefully placing the plushie next to my bed, I began to wash up and get ready for bed. It's been a long, fruitful day because I managed to spend quality time with my housemate. It's not much, but I'm a step closer to getting her to open up to me. Comfortably dressed in my pyjamas, I cuddled myself in my blankets and browsed through my phone, checking the group chat with my unnies. Indeed, they are so busy yet had so many things to gossip about their working and love life.

"I can't believe Bomi is so stupid" - Chorong unnie

"Why? What did she do this time?" - Naeun unnie

"She gave me a gift but it has an ugly frog cartoon print. Doesn't she know that I have ranidaphobia?!" - Chorong unnie

"Hahahahahahahaha" I texted. This was so expected of Bomi unnie. Honestly, I'm so envious of Chorong unnie's relationship with her 7-year long girlfriend. The two met back in college and at first, it was weird for them to be together. After all, Chorong unnie was a conservative woman who only looks for reliable men. But, Bomi unnie was a sports major and I couldn't believe she would fall head over heels for her, just because she was doing something boys would do.

Well, love works in the weirdest ways. I really hope they would get married soon though.

"Haha, so did you throw it back at her?" - Naeun unnie

"Of course! I told her to buy me another one and she didn't understand what was wrong!" - Chorong unnie

"Because she's a pabo!" I texted back.

"I still can't believe Chorong unnie fell for a fool haha" - Naeun unnie

"Shut up....." - Chorong unnie

With a giggle, I decided to prepare for bed. It's always fun to witness Chorong and Bomi unnie's ever dynamic love relationship. Maybe that's why, they still can't get married yet.

But yet again, what defines a marriage?

Ah, I don't want to think deep stuff again. It's going to be so confusing for my brain. I better sleep.

Before I closed my eyes, I fell my gaze on the plushie Hayoung won earlier, now resting on my bedside as if it has been there forever.

Remembering her beautiful smile, I drifted off to dreamland.

 

 

 

Hayoung's POV

 

 

 

With a sigh, I tossed the envelope on my desk and proceeded to take a shower. A jumble of thoughts flashed through my head as I drenched myself in a hot, steamy shower. Many of those thoughts involved that girl, Kim Namjoo. I had thought I would live out my life in peace, until she came along.

None of my previous housemates behaved like this, so why her? Why is she doing this to me? Because of her, I felt emotions that I had not experienced in a long time. I felt a sense of warmth in my heart, so fuzzy yet uncomfortable as I'm reminded of a past that I want to run away from. Who would've thought there would come a time where I, Oh Hayoung, be cornered with no escape?

A total checkmate.

I can't do anything to fight against her, because she holds the key to balancing my books, the stability of maintaining this house.

It's coming again.

The memories which I have buried so deeply, surfaced.

 

[Flashback]

 

I still remember it so vividly, my days as an innocent, naive 6-year old in kindergarten class. It was approaching 5pm, all of my friends had gone home with their parents, often hugging their parents as they leave. One by one, and not a single sight of my own mom. She promised to pick me up.

She promised.

"Sojin unnie....where is my mom?" I asked, tugging at her shirt. Sojin, was the caretaker back then. Honestly, I was much closer to her compared to my mom. If I were to pick, I'd rather have her as my mom.

"All of my friends has gone home already....and I'm all alone...." I sobbed.

"Hayoung-ah, your mom is very very busy. But she will come and pick you up. Are you hungry? Have these snacks okay?" She smiled, warmly. I trusted her so I waited patiently. An hour passed. Two… It was already time for the kindergarten to close. All the staffs were packing up and leaving work. I was confused, watching the older ladies leave. That's when, Sojin unnie entered the room again, from what I could remember, a car key in hand.

"Sojin unnie...my mom...."

"Hayoung-ah, come with me. I'll be taking you home." she said, carefully and gently carrying me up into her arms. I clung onto her tightly and leaned my head against her shoulder, I felt protected under Sojin unnie.

By the time I reached home, I broke into a wide smile upon seeing my mom hard at work still at her desk. I ran towards her in excitement, hoping that she would greet me with open arms. But being the clumsy kid I was, I tripped over a pile of documents, sending sheets of paper scattered all over on the floor.

That's when, it happened.

The day I began to hate my mother.

"Look what you’ve done!" she shouted in anger. She was annoyed, frustrated, furious.

"Mom...." I sobbed, confused. It was then, I felt a sharp, stinging slap across my face. It was the worst feeling you could ever have. Even until now, I can still faintly feel its sting on my cheek.

"You should've never come home." I heard her muttering under her breath. She thought that I didn't hear it, but I heard it loud and clear.

She's not my mother, she's a devil.

From then onwards, I got through my childhood just like that. My parents were virtually non-existent. By the time I entered high school, I was still doubtful of my parent's love. So, I decided to create a hypothesis by myself. Rather than following the norm of being a good student, I decided to do the opposite. I played truant, vandalised anything I could lay my hands on, broke almost every single school rule there is to make the teachers call them.

 I yearned for their attention.

I was so naive back then, not knowing that this was a terribly bad idea.

Another stinging slap across my face. Yeah, I've already gotten used to this.

"What the hell do you think you're doing Hayoung-ah?!" she screamed into my ears. "Do you think it's funny? Do you think that what you're doing is beneficial for your future?"

"I do. I completely understand what I'm doing." I said, confidently, unaffected by her slaps.

"You're crazy." She said with a sigh.

 

"I should've never given birth to you"

 

Her very words pierced my heart like a sharp knife.

 That's when I realised, I never had a mother in the first place. Nor even, a father. I never introduced my father in this story yet, have I? I can’t even recall how my father looked like. All I had were excuses that he was overseas, working very hard. But I know those were all lies. A mystery that my family wanted to hide from me, something I may probably never know.

Oh no, this wasn’t the end of my ordeal.

As I continued further into my high school years, I was forced to move out and stay with my grandparents. My mother claimed that since I was grown-up now, I proved to be"too much" to handle and disposed of me. But even while living with my grandparents who seemed to be slightly better, I was viewed as a disgrace to the family. Because of the trouble I stirred up in high school, because I was born as a mistake, because I was born as a girl. I tarnished their image completely.

At school, I was bullied for not having a father. Bullied for being abandoned by my parents and bullied because of the things that I have done. I began to question myself as I fell deeper and deeper into the loop of self-destruction.

Was there a point to living in the first place?

That's right. I once thought of suicide. Once.

I wanted to kill myself. I really did. But someone saved me from the dark. 

Eunji unnie.

But even with her, I simply live for the sake of living.

In the end, I came to a realisation.

It was pointless to have emotions. Emotions only hurt me further, form deep scars.  From then on, I closed my heart completely. Like a lost soul, I erased everything remotely related to this thing called emotion.

Happiness, sadness, anger, frustration, everything.

The bright, bubbly, naive girl whom I was many years ago, is no longer here.

That girl has died.

 

 

[End of Flashback]

 

 

 

The me, in front of the mirror, is who I am now.

 

 

 

 

Author's POV

 

 

Morning came.

The same usual morning.

Namjoo cooked breakfast and forced Hayoung to eat with her. The dining table was silent as the older girl sneaked glances at Hayoung and wondered if she had recovered from last night’s episode.

"Hayoung-ah." The girl asked, looking directly into her eyes. "Did you read the letter?"

"I threw it away."

"Hayoung-ah!"

"I refuse to read it."

"Read it." Namjoo was insistent. She stood up, walked into Hayoung's room, searched through her bin and found the envelope.

"Namjoo unnie." The younger girl blocked her path by standing at the door. She took good advantage of her height and leaned against the edge. "I'm not going to read it. I don't want to do anything with that anymore."

"Are you just going to let this slide? Your mom have been trying so hard to communicate with you, but you ignored her calls, messages and refuse to meet her face-to-face, can't you at least hear what she has to say?" said Namjoo, trying to explain to Hayoung so that she can understand.

"Why do I have to listen to her?"

Namjoo sighed. She figured that there was only one way. She tip-toed and cupped Hayoung's cheeks and looked into her eyes.

"Do it for me." she said.

The younger girl gulped and looked down. But she froze again as her eyes automatically fixated on Namjoo's thick, succulent lips. She backed away immediately. She realised why she felt helpless every time when Namjoo made a request of her.

It was because of those lips.

That kiss.

Everything. She could not fight against it.

"Please, Hayoung-ah. Just read it." pleaded Namjoo.

A frustrated sigh escaped the younger girl's mouth as she kept her eyes on Namjoo. Namjoo sat down on the bed and patted on it and motioned Hayoung over while waving the envelope at her. As if under a spell, Hayoung's legs moved of their own accord and she sat down beside Namjoo. The older girl wrapped her arm around Hayoung’s tightly so that she couldn't escape, while carefully extracting the handwritten letter from within the envelope.

Hayoung exchanged a glance with Namjoo and shifted uncomfortably, not used to being held like that. She had no choice. She could see the Namjoo's eyes moving towards the direction of the paper, indicating that she should start reading.

With much hesitation, the younger girl finally turned her attention to the letter.

A letter from her mom, whom she hated so much.

 

 

To: Hayoung

 

I know you've been avoiding me for all these years, but at least, read this. Please.

 I know everything that happened was my fault. I wasn't able to raise you properly because I was so blinded by work that I neglected you. I'm not a good mother, in fact I'm worse than trash. I do not deserve your forgiveness, but I want to write this, to say sorry. I want to apologize for everything I have done to you. A mother is supposed to make her child happy, protect and nurture her to become a better person when she grows up. But I failed and I don't deserve to look at you, to talk to you, because I already know that in your eyes that I am no longer your mother.

I will not ask for your forgiveness, you can hate and curse at me forever until I die, I will accept it all. But, I want you to be happy. Please do not continue bearing your resentment forever and move on. Live a happy life. When I heard that you were getting married, my initial reaction was one of confusion. It didn't make sense at all. For my daughter who is 30 years old, has never fall in love even once. That's when I realised, there is one last thing I am still able to do as a mother. To make sure that your marriage goes well, to make sure that you are happy. I have talked to your grandparents and they have allowed your marriage, even giving their blessings.

I know you don't want me to do this. But this is the very least I could do, as a mother. This is nothing compared to all the hurt you have suffered because of me. All I want you is to be happy and not dwell anymore on the past.

I want you to be happy, Hayoung-ah.

No matter how much you hate me, I will still love you forever.

Even though you say that you never had a mom, but I am always here if you need one. I promise to be better.

Mom.

 

 

 

Namjoo's POV

 

I observed Hayoung carefully as she read the letter. It's exactly what her mom told me.

For the first time, she cried.

She shedded tears.

"I know my daughter well. Even though she hates me, there is still a small part in her heart that doesn't. Because my daughter is an innocent girl who still has many things to see and experience in the world.

Namjoo-ya, can you promise to always be there for her? Can you make up for the love and affection that I was unable to provide, as her mother?"

“I promise you, mother. I'll take good care of Hayoung in your place.”

Immediately, I pulled Hayoung into a warm embrace.

Her heart has finally opened up.

"It's okay Hayoung-ah. It's okay." I said gently. Indeed, this robot girl doesn't even cry like normal people. All I could hear were sniffles. I had expected her to bawl out loud, but I guess that was just me when I was crying my eyes out and making myself ugly. I broke our hug and looked at her. Wow, she's still so pretty when she is crying. She's just staring at me, sniffling. Don't tell me, she has no idea what to do when she's crying? Oh my god, do I have to teach her everything?

Wow, cute.

"I...." Hayoung opened but was at a loss as to what she should say.

"Your mother wants to tell you that despite everything she had done, the mistakes she made, she still loves you, a lot." I said, summarising it, in case Hayoung didn't get the full message.

"But..."

"I know. You still hate her a lot, and it's fine." I said. "But you have to promise her, and me one thing."

She looked at me with her watery eyes.

"I want you to be happy. Be expressive. Have emotions. I don't want you to be a robot anymore okay?"

"Emotions?"

"I'm saying that you should forget about the past and look forward." I said. "Unlock your heart." I poked a finger at her chest teasingly.

She still looked oblivious to everything that has happened so far. She gave a confused glance at the part I poked at. Guess I have to spell it out better.

"Basically, your mom has handled everything with your grandparents so the we now have permission to marry. The only thing that's left is my family, that's all we have to worry from now. Got it?"

She nodded. Wonderful, Kim Namjoo, you just got into the groove of mastering "Hayoung language" now.

"Then...." The girl mumbled as she turned to look at me.

"Hm?"

"Shall we go and visit your parents now?"

I knew it. This girl can only handle one problem at a time. I love how she can just process things like that. She just erased everything that has transpired since 24 hours ago. Wow.

She's really a superhuman robot. Maybe that's why I became more invested in finding out all that is to this girl.

If I'm not careful enough, I might actually fall in love.

I might fall in love with this silly robot.

"Mm. Let's go." I nodded with a smile.

 

 

--

 


 

A/N: Things are finally settled and it seems like Hayoung will try to slowly open her heart again? Namjoo, please, we know you're already in love with Hayoung already (haha) Will things go well with Namjoo's family? Thank you for reading and I will try my best to update soon~