Kiss

Housemate

 

Author's POV

 

There was an awfully awkward atmosphere in Hayoung and Namjoo's apartment that morning. The younger girl rushed into her room, locked the door and immediately splashed her face with water in the toilet. Looking at herself in the mirror, she wanted to forget everything that happened last night.

The girl yesterday, was not her.

There was no way she would've done that. Hayoung, who does not usually have much in the way of expressions and emotions, was experiencing a rollercoaster for the first time.

Grabbing hold of the sink as she looked into the mirror, wet hair dripping with water, she took a deep breath. For about two minutes, she stared at her reflection and deeply into her own orbs. As if hypnotising herself, she soon calmed down and fixed her shirt. But, she noticed a mark on her collarbone.

"." The girl cursed out loud as she touched it, covering with her hands while looking around if there was anything to hide it.

In the end, Hayoung resorted to taking a full shower and rubbing intensely at that part, hoping that it would disappear. With hot steam filling the bathroom, this was the longest Hayoung had ever taken a bath. There was a lot going on in her mind and she wondered how to confront Namjoo later. Perhaps, she should just tell the truth. But it would take their relationship into an awkward turn, especially at the fact that they are supposed to be getting married.

At that point, a sudden thought passed through her mind.

 

"But if we're married, it's normal to do that."

 

Immediately, Hayoung shook her head and slapped her own cheeks.

"I must be crazy." she mumbled.

At the other end of the room where Namjoo was, she was worried about Hayoung's words. After spending a few more minutes in bed, she was able to sober up and started to take a shower as well. She looked at her body in the mirror, there wasn't anything suspicious at all. It was when the random thought striked her, "Did I do something with Hayoung in the bed last night?!"

"STOP THINKING LIKE THAT KIM NAMJOO!" shouted the girl to herself. She was surprised herself that such thought even crossed her mind. There was no way she would even think of kissing Hayoung, let alone her housemate.

"We aren't even fully friends yet and it's not like I'm attracted to her or anything heck I'm fully straight what kind of crap am I thinking I really drank too much last night gosh I hate myself" She started rambling and talking to herself while brushing her teeth aggressively. Yet, images of Hayoung zoomed past her mind, the way she smiled, the way how she was cute sometimes despite her lack of expressions. She was just a really interesting girl that Namjoo wanted to get to know better. Even so, their relationship is complicated. They are getting married, so typically from a normal viewpoint, a married couple should love each other.

"AHH STOP THINKING STOP THINKING STOP THINKING!" said Namjoo in frustration. This was driving her crazy.

Thinking that it would be better to just face Hayoung directly and talk it out, the girl headed towards her door and opened it. Coincidentally at that same moment, Hayoung opened her door and the two girls were left in an awkward silence, staring at each other.

 

 

 

Namjoo's POV

 

 

 

I did say that I would talk to her but why does Hayoung have to be right in front of me now? The two of us looked at each other for about three straight seconds, as if time was frozen. All of a sudden, Hayoung started walking towards me. I gulped. Was she going to say something? If she is, what do I say? She was getting nearer until she takes a turn and walks towards the kitchen, avoiding eye contact. I observed her quietly as she went to the counter, took out a packet of dog food and poured it into Bbang's bowl.

Is she really going to pretend that nothing happened?

I mean, I can't even remember anything but, curiousity kills the cat.

I have to know.

I quietly walked to the kitchen and grabbed for something light to eat, bread. Taking a slice, I spreaded some jam and stuffed it into my mouth, eyes still on Hayoung who seemed completely calm compared to an hour ago. Comfortably seated in the couch with Bbang on her lap.

Wow, that is some great acting.

"Namjoo-ssi."

Hearing her voice all of a sudden caused me to flinch.

"Y-yes?"

"You've been staring at me for a while. Is something the matter?" she asked, turning to look at me.

"N-No, nothing at all."

Hayoung turned her attention back to Bbang, scrubbing her belly as silence filled the air again.

Seriously though, how the hell does she pretend like nothing happened? I stuffed more bread into my mouth, frustrated. Before I had even realised, I finished the whole loaf. Great. As I walked over to dispose of the plastic, I flinched again, hearing her voice calling out to me.

"Namjoo-ssi."

"Yes?" I turned around with nervous eyes.

"How did it go last night with your friends?"

"H-Huh?"

"Did you tell them that we are getting married?"

Right. I haven't gotten used to the fact that we are getting married. Somehow, it flutters my heart, yet, it also makes me uneasy.

"Yeah, as expected they were surprised. Sorry, they were really excited so I got drunk. It's all their fault, I swear." I said, hoping it would clear some misunderstandings Hayoung had in her mind. God knows what goes on in her brain.

"I see." Hayoung seemed to be avoiding making direct eye contact with me. Just what in the world have I done last night that has caused her to behave like this? "Have you told your parents yet?" she asked.

"No....what about you?"

"I suggest it would be better to go there as a surprise."

"I don't think that's a good idea....visiting your grandparents like that..."

"No, I believe it will work well. Trust me." said Hayoung. "In fact, we can go today."

"Today? But isn't that too sudden..."

"The sooner we're done with this, the faster we can get over with this whole marriage process." she said in a tone i've never heard before. It was full of anger and frustration. Is this really my housemate, Hayoung who doesn't have any expressions? For once, she has an emotion and that is anger?

Wow, Kim Namjoo you are amazing. What in the world did you do last night to make her like that?

"Let's go then." I said. I don't know why I did that. After realising a change in Hayoung's emotions, I had a new determination in life. I was curious to where our relationship could lead. I saw a hope in something. Although what I supposedly did last night remains a mystery, I was able to discover that Hayoung has emotions. I mean, all humans do but it's just amazing that I'm seeing something different about her.

I'm going to do all I can, to fully unleash every single emotion she has hidden in that heart of hers.

I noticed Hayoung's eyes widened upon my reply. Hah. I guess she wasn't expecting that huh?

"Are we taking the train or the bus?" I asked nonchalantly, taking my purse along as I headed to the entrance to wear my shoes.

"The bus." said Hayoung as she stood up and gathered her things. "Let's go."

 

 

 

Author's POV

 

 

 

Anyone could tell from afar that these two girls felt uncomfortable being around each other. Sitting at the back of the bus, divided by an empty seat in the middle, the journey was quiet without a single conversation. Some may misunderstand that they were friends who had an argument but it's something more complicated than that. It took about 30 minutes and several stops until Hayoung stood up, to which Namjoo followed along. After all, they were meeting Hayoung's grandparents and based on their discussion yesterday, Namjoo was told to not say a single word and let the younger girl do everything. Although at first, she didn't quite understand but she assumed there was a kind of history behind their relationship and didn't want to taint it further.

Namjoo walked behind Hayoung as they went from a wide street to a narrow alleyway and later, rows of houses that stretched across. Many of them had personal gardens and large walls fencing around its surroundings, certainly they were expensive properties. The girl began to wonder, if Hayoung's grandparents were rich, why is the girl poor and in debt? She knew it was wrong to sneak her nose into someone else's business and decided to let that thought slip.

At that moment, Hayoung stopped and Namjoo almost bumped into her.

"We are here." The younger girl said, as they stood in front of a corner house with an intimidating large gate.

"This is where your grandparents live?" asked Namjoo.

Hayoung nodded. "Remember what we had discussed. Don't say anything. I will do all the talking."

"Mm. I'll keep them shut." Namjoo nodded, making a lip zipping motion with her hand.

 

 

 

Hayoung's POV

 

 

 

Watching her fingers move across her lips, I couldn't help but to find myself staring at it. Those thick, pinkish lips. I gulped unconsciously.

"What are you waiting for? Let's go."

Thanks to her words, I was able to snap out of it. This is driving me crazy. No, I should focus. Thinking about her lips is a distraction. What's important now is to inform my grandparents of my marriage. It will be tough but I have it all planned.

"Namjoo-ssi." I said.

"Hm?" She looked at me with confused eyes. I tried to maintain my eye level and not lower it to her lips. No.

"I have my own methods to persuade my grandparents so please do not get shocked at what I might do."

"What do you mean? What...are you planning to do?" She asked, eyeing at me with suspicion.

"I'm afraid I can't disclose that. But, I'm only saying this to warn you. I don't want you to misunderstand." she said. "Remember. This is all an act."

"Well, if it's to make them say yes, then I can't do anything right?" she said coolly. "Let's go. We've been standing under the sun for awhile now."

 

 

 

Author's POV

 

 

 

The ringing of the bell, echoed loudly in the compound of that very house. Indeed, it was big, almost like a bungalow. Standing side by side, the two girls waited for about a minute before there was a creaking sound of the gate opening. At first glance, was an old lady dressed in rather, expensive clothings and visible wrinkles all over her skin.

"Hayoungie? It's rare of you to visit." said the lady as she turned to look at Namjoo. "And who's this? Your friend?"

"That is none of your concern. I have something to talk with you and grandpa. Is he in today?" asked Hayoung in a stern and cold voice. Namjoo glanced at the younger girl, surprised at her behaviour. She had wondered if she was always that cold and rude to her grandparents.

"He is. Why?"

"Good. We're coming in." said Hayoung as she suddenly grabbed hold of Namjoo's hand pulled her inside. The older girl was flustered but decided to keep quiet and let the younger girl take the lead.

Soon enough, the two girls were gathered in the living room, glued to the couch. It was a normal home despite looking fancy on the outside.

"So, what brings you here?" the lady asked after serving tea on the table.

"T-Thank you...." said Namjoo softly with a mumble and moved towards the cup when she felt Hayoung staring at her. It was as if, telling her not to even drink it at all.

"Where is grandpa? I need to talk to the both of you." said Hayoung in a hurry.

"Why the rush? He's upstairs and will come down shortly. You should rest. It must've been a hard journey and your friend must be tired."

"Grandmother. She's not a friend." said Hayoung as she looked into her eyes with an intense stare.

"Then?"

"She's my wife."

Immediately, the air stiffened up and Namjoo could already sense the change. She decided to keep quiet and stay still in her seat.

"What?!" gasped Hayoung's grandmother.

"I'm marrying her."

"Oh my......" The lady turned her attention to Namjoo and scanned her from head to toe.

"I will not allow that!" A sudden voice bellowed. Hayoung's grandfather heard everything from upstairs. He walked down and sat in front of the two girls, he was dressed in a black suit alongside his brown, walking cane.

"You told me to get married and I did." said Hayoung. "You had always wanted me to get a life and I finally did. You're going to say no to that?"

"A woman like you should marry a man."

"In the society now, gender does not matter in a marriage."

"You're crazy Hayoung."

"Maybe I am. But I am happy that way. Love always wins."

"As if. I know you well Hayoung. You planned this out just so you can get my approval to clear your debts."

"You're absolutely wrong grandpa."

"Then, do you love her?" asked the patriarch suspiciously. Namjoo gulped. He was wary of Hayoung's plans. Just what did she have in mind afterwards? What is Hayoung going to say to counter that?

In that moment, Hayoung turned her body to face the older girl. "I do."

"Then prove it." The man said.

"Easy as that, grandpa." The girl replied.

With a single abrupt motion, Hayoung grabbed Namjoo's cheeks and pulled her into her lips. The older girl froze, flustered at her actions as she felt blood rushing through her veins. It was strange. It was not a deep kiss but just a simple peck.

But that alone, was enough to give her an adrenaline rush.

 

 

 

 

Namjoo's POV

 

 

 

This isn't a dream right? I couldn't even process what happened later on. I was in an utter daze. All I could remember was Hayoung arguing with her grandparents after that "kiss". Our first kiss. Everything they talked about was in a blur, they were shouting at each other. Hayoung's grandmother tried to intervene in between and in the midst of all the commotion, Hayoung grabbed my hand and dragged me out of the house. The only thing I heard her say was:

 

 

"I don't care, she makes me happy and I am marrying her!"

 

 

Her words did flutter my heart a little. Since when did this emotionless girl possess such ability with talking? Before I had realised, we were on the bus home and now, here we are standing at the entrance of our apartment.

"Namjoo-ssi."

"......"

"Namjoo-ssi?"

"......."

"Namjoo unnie!" Hayoung shouted as she waved her hand in front of my eyes.

"O-Oh! Hayoung!" I said, finally snapping out of it. Gosh, who would've thought that kiss would have such a great effect on me?

The girl signed, followed by a frown. Now, that's a new expression. I've never seen her frown.

"Whatever happened today, please forget it. This is all an act. Do not misunderstand my actions." she said before proceeding into her room, slamming the door shut.

I know what her words meant.

I know.

She thought I would've misunderstand the fact that Hayoung might have feelings for me, even though she doesn't. It was clearly written on her face, how uncomfortable she was kissing my lips.

Yet, why do I feel hurt? Why do I feel this rejection in my heart?

It was as if, my feelings were being cheated on, even when she had already emphasized from the beginning that it was all an act.

I really wanted an answer, so that I could settle these feelings right. I wanted to make sure of something.

 

 

 

Hayoung's POV

 

 

 

With the door shut behind me, my legs collapsed as I leaned my back against the frame. I sighed while clutching my shirt tightly against my chest.

Make this stop.

My heart refuses to listen as it continues to thump loudly. It was such an uncomfortable feeling and I could not break it away. But at least, this is done. The act is over.

It went accordingly as planned. I knew my grandfather would object to such an absurd idea, marrying a woman who is in fact, my housemate. But I've got the checkmate this time. According to my calculations, he should call me in the next few days after making a decision. 90% of that would be a positive one, where he will agree to my wedding. I am confident this will go through. After all, I am his one and only granddaughter. He only values my happiness and what better way, then to make up a lie?

It was then, I heard a knock on the door. Great. I did not plan ahead. I have no idea how to confront Namjoo now. But even so, she shouldn't be surprised because she did it in the first place. I don't dig the "I don't remember" story at all. The knocks became repetitive and louder. She sure is persistent.

I stood up, took a deep breath and opened the door. There she is. Kim Namjoo. My housemate, and also my soon-to-be wife. What am I going to do with her now?

"Do you need something?" I asked, staring at her. Her expression didn't look too great. It seemed to be a mixture of confusion and anger. Of course, a sudden kiss would make anyone dazed.

"Hayoung-ah, we need to talk." she said.

"We can talk here."

"Fine." she sighed, crossing her arms. "Tell me everything that happened last night."

"I told you to pretend nothing happened."

"You know I can't do that."

I sighed as I diverted my eye contact somewhere else. She was staring so intensely into my eyes, it was uncomfortable.

"I'm doing this to protect our relationship." I said. "If you were to know, it will be even difficult for us to progress together as a married couple."

"I don't care Hayoung-ah." She said with much annoyance. "So what if it will be difficult? Aren't married couples supposed to work together to solve problems? Marriage means two, not a one-man show."

Wow. She sure knows how to corner me. I guess it's hard to keep secrets.

"Fine." I sighed as I found myself leaning against the edge of the door.

"The night you were drunk, you kissed me. Not once. But several times." I confessed, receiving a big gasp from Namjoo.

 

 

--

 

 


 

A/N: You probably thought that they did "that" right? Lol nope~ but perhaps there is a bigger meaning behind Hayoung's "several times" ;) Thank you for reading and I'll update soon~