Feelings

Housemate

 

Namjoo's POV

 

I can feel my cheeks heating up in embarrassment as I read through the thick script provided by my boss, Hyesung unnie. Seriously though, an adult romance genre?! I'm so screwed! I mean, I'm totally inexperienced in this field. Don't tell me they hired me because I'm married? Just because I'm married doesn't mean like I have knowledge in that area anyway! This is driving me nuts, just by reading one line is making my heart race. The first episode is already hot as the characters are engaging in such an intimate scene that I needed to take breaks whilst reading.

Placing the script down on my brand new desk, squeezed in between the endless row of other desks where my fellow co-workers were, I was at a loss. I snuck a peek at my other "friends" whom I have yet to introduce myself to, they were all busy working and typing away at their given scripts. I did a quick survey. One writer was working on a comedy-romance drama, another’s an action-thriller drama and the one behind me was working on a sci-fi. Everyone gets a normal script to work on and what do I get? Adult romance. Great. No, I shouldn't be discouraged by this. It has to be a challenge given by my boss, to test my skills!

Alright, let's take a deep breath and look through the script again. Come on, it's just a story. I mean, why do I have to get shy reading it? I'm an adult in my thirties! This should be nothing difficult.

"You must be the new girl!" said a chirpy voice chimed from behind.

"A-Ah! Hello! I'm Kim Namjoo!" I greeted immediately with a bow, standing from my seat as I turned around.

"Haha~ no need to be so formal. We're the same age so talk with me comfortably. I'm Wheein." As I took a closer look, she seemed cute and a little petite. But nonetheless, she still posesses this cool vibe around her. Indeed, the image of a senior. I noticed her eyeing at my scripts.

"I guess Hyesung unnie dumped that job on you. Must be hard." she said, casually patting my shoulder. "If you need any help, feel free to talk to me. Maybe I can help out."

"I-I will! Thank you!"

"Since it's going to be lunch time soon, I can take you to a good cafe nearby. We should be hosting a welcome lunch for our new family member!"

"O-Okay!"

I found myself being dragged out of my seat and brought around by Wheein as she rallied the the rest of the team and we all headed out for lunch. She seemed like a very easy-going person, someone who is very chill.

I have a really good feeling about her.

 

 

 

 

 

Hayoung's POV

 

 

"Yeah, we're cancelling the investment." announced Eunji unnie in the meeting, causing drawing gasps and groans about the room. Of course, everyone was in disbelief. It was such a great opportunity for us, but everything just fell apart. I really do hope she knows what she's doing. "Anyways, that's all. Just keep up with the observations of our game, report in any bugs and we'll meet again next week. Meeting's over!"

The rest of the work day went by amidst the usual work rambling and gossiping over the contract cancellation. I wanted to talk to Eunji unnie personally as it was uncomfortable not knowing what went wrong. I knocked trice and entered her ever messy office. There were papers scattered everywhere on the floor that you feel like buying insurance just in case.

"Oh, Hayoung-ah. What is it?" she said with a huff. Judging from her bloodshot eyes, she must have been pulling tons of all-nighters the past week.

"It's about yesterday."

"Well, it's exactly what your eyes saw."

"Love won your heart?"

"Maybe. But that isn't the case. It's also about the people I work with. It's already hard to be a CEO as a woman and to have a guy like him, working with us?" she scoffed. "No way. I mean, we'll show them we can run just fine without any help. We don't need any big asses poking their noses in our business.”

"Very well." I sighed. "I just hope that this has nothing to do with Son Naeun." I implied.

"Oh, that reminds me." I could hear the squeak of the chair as she stood up. "I heard your wife is best friends with Naeun. Do you perhaps, have her number?"

"No." I my heels immediately and tried to make my escape. But I could feel her tugging at my elbow.

"Come on, help your good ol' buddy out hm?" There it is. Her fake puppy eyes that is "supposed" to soften your heart. Never worked for me though. I couldn't see the magic.

"Why don't you ask Namjoo personally?" I sighed, proceeding to exit the room.

"Oh? Are you sure about that? To have me talking to your beautiful wife?"

I stopped. Ugh, what is she trying to play now? I swivelled around and stared at her.

"There it is~ that's why I'm looking for~" she said with that teasing smirk of hers. "You know what's my nickname right? I'm a good charmer, men and women all fawn over me. If you're not careful, I might just make your wife fall for me."

I know she’s just teasing me. I know that she wouldn't do that, it just isn't her nature. Yet, why do I feel so disturbed by her words? The very thought of Eunji flirting with Namjoo, somehow makes me boil inside. I'm not supposed to behave like this.

Why?

My body moved on its own accord unconsciously. Never have I experienced such a feeling before.

"Don't even think of it." I said, as I glared at her. Why do I feel angry? It's as if there is a fire burning inside my chest.

"Now this is rare. Who would've thought I would see an angry Hayoung in front of my eyes? How long has it been since you've acted like this? 10 years ago? 11 years ago?" said Eunji with a widened grin. "Ask your wife to give me Naeun's number and I won't touch her. She's all yours. Deal?"

I know that Eunji unnie has always been sly but why does she have to use that, on me?

I hate this.

 

 

 

 

 

Namjoo's POV

 

 

Okay. I'm about to doing something super crazy. I want to believe in Wheein's words since I have absolutely no idea how to continue with the adult romance genre. I'm sure she doesn't mind. I mean... we've acted together before. Wouldn't hurt to try it on her right? I mean, we're married anyways.

 

 

[Flashback]

 

"E-Experiment?!" I exclaimed, eyes wide while having lunch with Wheein. I voiced out my concerns on the adult romance genre that was dumped on me and wanted to hear her advice. But experiment?! What?!

"If writers don't have any experience in writing something, they have to go out and experience it themselves!"

"B-But me..." I blushed unknowingly. I mean, does it look like I'm someone who DOES that?!

"Look at you!" she laughed. "I mean, for example if I had to write a drama about animals, I would visit a zoo or an actual safari to find out some ideas. I didn't exactly mean to for you to sleep with a random person!"

"I-I know...."

"You're married after all! In fact, shouldn't you be thanking Hyesung unnie because you're gonna have a lot of fun with your mate." she said, wiggling her eyebrows. Oh god, they are all getting the wrong ideas! But it’s not like I can tell them the real situation with my marriage. I'm so screwed.

"That's just going to be really inconvenient-"

"You wouldn't know unless you try. And after all, take it slow. Don't take on the steamy scenes first, try working on episode one." She said, flipping through my script. "Like this part. The two characters are kissing intimately in the kitchen. This is nothing. Try level one first." she suggested.

I looked at her dumbfounded. I appreciate her help but honestly, I'm at a total loss.

 

[End of Flashback]

 

 

I'm sure it'll work out. After all, it's very easy for a robot like Hayoung. I've already adapted to how her system and brain works. I mean, kissing a total stranger so many times and she doesn't fall in love, wouldn't that make her the perfect practice dummy to work on?

Deep in my heart, I had thought that this girl would've had feelings for me by now. I thought the feeling’s mutual too. Maybe I am in love with my housemate. But considering how indifferent and cold she has been acting around me since, I drew a conclusion.

She's not interested in me.

In fact, she never was in the beginning.

I'm a fool, to think that Hayoung had feelings for me.

Love needs to be reciprocal. There is no point of me hanging onto an unrequited one-sided love.

The sound of the door beeping woke me from my thoughts. She's home! Immediately, I dashed out to the entrance. Ah, there she is again with that same poker face. This time however, her eyes were bigger than usual. Well, she's probably surprised to see me.

"Hello." There is is. Her robot greeting again with that nod.

"Hi. Are you busy?" I asked with a smile.

"No." One word answers again.

"Great! Can I ask you a favour?"

"Actually...." She paused. "I’m also in need of a favour from you."

"Really? Then, that's wonderful!" I said. "Let's make a trade then."

That's right. Hayoung thinks in such a systematic way that things like that are easy to handle. All I need to do is a form of exchange, nothing else. Or at least, that's how I think Hayoung's brain works. As we settled down at the dining table, staring face-to-face, I could see that Hayoung is waiting for me to open my mouth.

"Firstly, what kind of favour do you need from me?"

"I need Son Naeun's phone number."

Hm? Strange. Why would she need her number for? Don't tell me, she's interested in her?! I mean, Naeun unnie is pretty and all so I'm not surprised. But, I feel a sudden drop of disappointment falling in my heart. I don't know.

I guess, she's more interested in Naeun than me.

Of course, Naeun's always the one who attracts people. Even weird people like my housemate.

"I see. I'll give you her number, if you help me do something. Fair deal right?"

"Okay."

Man, she's so easy to get through with. I think this is easier said than done.

"Great! All you have to do is sit on the kitchen counter over there." I said pointing to the direction. Her eyes widened in confusion but did as told. Indeed, a human robot. I stood up, took my notebook and pen over.

I did say that I was going to do it, but my heart is pumping really fast.

"Namjoo unnie, what are you doing?" She said, staring at me. I was now in standing in front of her as she sat on the kitchen counter.

"Firstly Hayoung-ah, let me explain to you so that you wouldn't misunderstand what I'm about to do to you." I said with a deep breath. "I'm doing an experiment on you so it's for work, nothing else. Don't get the wrong idea." I warned.

"Okay." she nodded as she sat obediently on the kitchen counter.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Author's POV

 

 

There was silence in the air as the two girls stared at each other.

"Close your eyes." ordered Namjoo in which Hayoung shut them immediately. The younger girl had absolutely no idea what her housemate was going to do, but she insisted on doing this favour because of Eunji's words that morning. It has constantly disturbed her mind; the fact that Namjoo could literally fall in love with anyone.

Yet again, she was confused.

Why does she have to concern herself with Namjoo's love life?

It was then, she felt Namjoo's arms gently wrapping around her neck as she was pulled closer. Suddenly, she could feel the draft of her breath against her nose. She had an urge to open her eyes but decided not to because Namjoo told her. It was then, there was something wet pressing against her lips. It felt familiar, something that her body has been yearning for a long time. She had reminded herself to forget such feelings because it's dangerous.

Dangerous for her heart.

Reminded of the night when her housemate got drunk, she want to pretend that she was feeling nothing again. As if she was meditating, she decided to remain still and let Namjoo to do whatever she was, in exchange for Naeun's number.

It was such an easy task, yet difficult.

She could feel Namjoo's fingernails tracing along the nape of her neck, making her shudder. This was the hardest challenge ever. As much as the girl told her that this was for work purposes, it was difficult to handle. Not because she felt uncomfortable with kissing her, but because she could fall deeper into the trap called, love. Hayoung had vowed herself since the beginning, to never fall in love. She had survived that easily through high school, college and working life.

But ever since this girl entered into her life, things were beginning to be different.

The feelings which she had buried inside her heart, were starting to resurface again.

Just when the girl was about to break apart and accept everything in that kiss, Namjoo suddenly pulled away. The writer turned to the side and started scribbling something inside her notebook. Hayoung looked at her dumbfounded.

"Okay, let's try another method." said Namjoo as she looked up, only to notice the younger girl staring back at her with those wide orbs. Still seated obediently on the kitchen counter, her back was hunched, hands on her knees as she titled her head slightly.

"Namjoo unnie..."

"Mm?"

"Would you mind explaining what are you trying to do with me?"

"Ah...." Her voice got softer. "You know how I found a job as a writer at JTBC right?"

Hayoung nodded in response.

"I'm working on a script and it's about these two characters who are married. There's one scene where they are kissing in the kitchen and I'm not sure which poses and actions to use." Namjoo explained calmly. She had gotten the gist of handling between work and love. Kissing her housemate is for work purposes, nothing more. There are no other motives behind it.

"I....see...." Hayoung hummed in a long tone, taking time to process her words. "So are you going to try different ways to kiss me?"

"Y-Yeah...." stuttered Namjoo, surprised at the girl's response. She had not expected her to take interest in her work. In fact, Namjoo thought that Hayoung would be creeped out by her actions or be completely indifferent. It was easy to read her. Her eyes readily spoke the words "I want to help you out." in a genuine manner.

"Can I look at your notebook?"

"But-"

"You need me, right?"

In that moment, Namjoo's senses awakened. Everything which she had tried to mask, everything which she had tried to ignore, was fruitless. The flame in her heart has re-ignited itself. Her love cells were triggered by her words, sending signals to her brain. Her feelings, were back. The time when Hayoung kissed her for the first time and when she kissed her back, simply for the sake of something and nothing more.

It was coming.

The feelings she had wanted to run away.

 

 

 

 

Namjoo's POV

 

 

What the heck is up with her?! This is driving me mad, I mean- how can those words from her robotic mouth make my heart jump like a maniac? Because of Hayoung, I'm literally in a mess! I thought I was able to go through this whole process smoothly, calming my heart and all that but, it proved to be nothing! I can even feel my fingers beginning to tremble as I stood there frozen, staring into her brown orbs. There's something about her eyes that completed this beauty of a woman that is, Oh Hayoung.

I told myself that I'm not going to fall in love with her because she's not interested in me.

Then, why?

Why am I finding myself falling deeper than ever?

"Unnie."

"Y-Yes?" I escaped my world of thoughts and returned back to reality.

"Let me help you."

"I-In what?"

"Those scenes that you said you're working on."

"Ah but...some of them are...." I mumbled out of embarassment. How the hell do you think I'm supposed to handle this situation? Just tell her upfront that I've been assigned to an adult romance drama and I have zero experience so I need your help?! No way! I sound like some ually frustrated woman in her thirties!

"Namjoo unnie."

Her words made everything stop, like the whole world freezed under her breath. She's looking at me, with those eyes. Eyes that spoke the truth. Orbs that emitted warmth and protection.

"I've been wanting to ask you a question for a long time."

My eyes widened. I thought she had no interest in me all along? Don't tell me, she is feeling the same way? Argh, I need to stop jumping to conclusions but my heart is getting worked up now. This is crazy.

"G-Go ahead.." I stuttered. But inside, I was anticipating. I don't know. I wished she would say those words. But knowing her robotic self, she would say something completely different and let me down again, like always. Yeah, there's no way.

There's no way Hayoung is in love with me.

 

 

"Do you like me?"

 

 

I'm hearing things right?

"Huh?"

All of sudden, she leaned closer to my face.

 

 

"I said, do you like me?"

 

 

. This is a very dangerous distance. I swear, if she moves closer, I'm gonna break apart. It's already difficult to hold myself back at this very moment.

I observed her face. There was a hint of intrigue and also yearning. Her eyes spoke everything and did the job better than her words. I didn't even need to tell her.

My confidence rose from what I saw.

I am certain now.

 

She likes me too.

 

Rather than answering her in an old-fashioned response of saying yes, I smiled. With that, I let go of everything in my heart. Letting my own lust control me, I wrapped my arms around her neck and pressed my lips against hers again.

This time, it was different.

Different from all the other kisses we had.

The kiss this time, was real. Genuine.

I could feel Hayoung taking initiative, her warm hands cupping my cheeks as she tilted ever so slightly so we would be able to kiss deeper. For the first time, she opened and accepted my kiss.

This robot of mine who had always pecked my lips in the most boring way ever, kissed like she was the best kisser in the world.

 

 

 

 

Love needs to be reciprocal.

When both parties love each other, the answer is already clear.

In this moment, we are totally and completely in love.

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

A/N: Finally! After 13 chapters, robot Hayoung realised her feelings! (and she's a good kisser too oh my) Who would've thought Namjoo had such a bold idea to do that "experimentation" on her housemate hmm ;) A word of advice; next chapter will contain a small scene so if you feel uncomfortable reading it, you can skip the part, I will label it in the chapter ^^ Thank you for reading, late Merry Christmas have a happy new year! I'll return with an update next year ;)