Marriage

Housemate

 

Namjoo's POV

 

I'm crazy. 

I just proposed to my housemate. My housemate who isn't a friend but neither a stranger to me. 

Did I really just did that? 

The ride on the bus back home was quiet. I don't know anymore. But one thing's for sure, this is a decision that I have made. There's no running away now. All of sudden, my phone rang. Crap. It's my stepmother. I had texted her earlier that I was coming back home.

"Hello? Mom?" I answered.

"Did you get on the bus? Is there a traffic jam? What's taking you so long?"

"Um, mom, the thing is..."

"What?"

"Something came up so I don't think I'll be going home."

"Really?" I could already hear the disappointment in her tone.

"Yeah. Sorry mom. I think I'll come home next time okay? Promise."

"Alright. I'm hanging up." 

I sighed as I placed my phone back into my pocket.

"Is everything okay?" asked Hayoung as she looked at me.

"Mm. It's fine." I nodded awkwardly as the silence followed.

By the time we arrived back at the apartment, Hayoung had told me to take a good rest and that we would properly discuss this whole "marriage" tommorow. I agreed as we both returned to our rooms. A long day like that, gone. I came and left this place, only to return in the end. I'm really fickle-minded.

 

 

 

 

Hayoung's POV

 

I got out of my room the next morning, only to see Namjoo unnie seated at the dining table, dressed in her pyjamas as she was making something. In a bowl, she poured leftover rice, a can of tuna, kimchi and some sauces before proceeding to mix them all like a bibimbap. I was honestly a bit bewildered by her actions.

"Oh, good morning." smiled Namjoo as she noticed my presence and bowed.

I bowed back before moving to the sink, grabbing my mug and make my coffee. Occasionally, I would observe Namjoo as she just seemed so happy, stuffing spoonfuls of rice into . I guess food makes her happy. I hope that she would continue to be happy for a long time. It creates a good, positive vibe in the house.

"Would you like some?" asked Namjoo, her cheeks all puffed up as she handed me her spoon.

"No thanks. You can eat it." 

"Alright, suit yourself." she said, before continuing to eat.

Sipping my coffee while I continued to observe her, I wonder if all girls eat as much as she does.

"Sorry, do I bother you?" She asked with a pause, looking directly into my eyes. "I'm noisy when I eat right?"

"That's fine. Sometimes, having complete silence in this house can be lonely." I replied.

I continued to sip my coffee while she ate. I wonder if she's thinking about the same things. Marriage. Surely, we cannot deduct the fact that it was not a dream. It's real. The two of us have decided to get married. Not for love, not for money, but because of the circumstances we are in. 

"About yesterday....." Namjoo mumbled as she placed her spoon down. "We...are getting married...right?"

"Yes. We are." I nodded, confirming it for her. She still looked very unsure and in a daze from last night. "Because we have come into such a situation, I believe that our contracts will need to be modified." I said as I stood up, went into my room and brought my tablet over. From there, I opened up some files so that I could show her what I had in mind.

"You made this?" she asked with wide eyes. I nodded in response. "Wow. I guess those who work in the IT department are on another level."

"If you look here, a normal process of a marriage would include all of these items." I said, showing her a diagram I had designed last night. It contained a whole timeline with a list of things that a normal couple would go through, this meant having photoshoots, meetings with parents, a wedding ceremony and many others that would cost a lot of money. 

"W-We have to do...all that?!" said Namjoo.

"Normally, yes. But because of our financial status, we are going to cut all of this." I said, sliding my finger to the next picture. "All we have to do for this marriage is to meet our parents and inform them that we are going to get married. Of course, this involves co-workers, close friends and what not."

"Parents......" 

"Will it be difficult?" I asked.

"I just realised how this is going to be a really hard thing to do, Hayoung-ah." said Namjoo. "My father is super conservative so he's really picky about men. The worst part now is, I'm not marrying a man but a woman. There's no way he's going to say yes!" 

"Then, we will just have to make that happen." I said calmly. "List down the things that your father expects of and I will come up with a solution."

"Wow, you're really taking this the mathematical way."

"It's just like a game of chess. All I need to do is find the checkmate." I said.

"Alright. I'll list down but in return, you have to tell me about your parents."

"You don't need to know because they will never be here."

"What do you mean?" asked Namjoo with confused eyes.

"Let's handle yours first." I said, wanting to avoid the topic as I opened a note-writing application on my electronic tablet.

 

 

 

 

Author's POV

 

The two housemates spent the whole morning, discussing on their strategic marriage plan. In fact, it is also the first time they gathered together in one place. It was a good time to learn more about each other and to become more than just housemates. It was their first, proper conversation.

Namjoo explained that her father looks for someone who is polite, respectful and strong. In her household, the male has full command of the decisions made. Certainly, this will be a difficult obstacle. The girl said that Hayoung didn't have to worry about her brother nor her mother because their choices will make nothing. It is her father who runs the whole show. 

Hayoung on the other hand, simply said that it will be easy as long as Namjoo follows what she says. In her eyes, she only has grandparents, no mother nor a father. The girl never explained the reason behind that and Namjoo decided that it was best to not ask. She assumed that it was something she felt uncomfortable to reveal.

After all, everyone has secrets. Secrets that are meant to be told and secrets that are meant to be kept hidden forever.

The plan was settled. As Hayoung would be returning back to work next week, the only time they had available was the coming weekends. It felt very rushed but the housemates had no other choice.

 

 

 

 

 

Namjoo's POV

 

 

"We're done~!" I said as I stretched my arms out. Stealing a glance at the clock, I can't believe we discussed for over three hours. Even the breakfast I had ate earlier were all digested and I'm hungry again. Looking at Hayoung, she was just being her usual calm self, packing her tablet and turning her attention to Bbang. I knew it.

"Hayoung-ah, it's almost lunch time. Let's go out and eat." I said.

"Going out to eat means to spend. According to my own expenses, it is more advisable if I stick to eating at home."

"Really, are you going to be like that?" I asked in disbelief.

"Even by going to a restaurant, an average two-meal would cost at least $30 depending on what cuisine we choose. We must also not forget additional taxes and service charges that will add up to the bill. In conclusion, it is better to eat lunch at home."

Why does she have to be so logical? Are all IT people like that? I sighed, walked up to her and grabbed her arms tightly.

"What are you doing?" asked Hayoung with widened eyes, staring at my arms locked in hers.

"You're coming to eat lunch with me!"

"But-"

"No buts! I'm paying for your meals so shut up and follow me!" I said, dragging Hayoung out of the apartment. 

After all, this is probably the only time where I can spend time with my housemate. We need to get to know each other better and she needs to learn how to have fun! 

Eventually, I took her to a nearby cafe that was affordable. Already, I could see how uncomfortable she felt being outside. But, I laughed instead. Who would've thought a cold girl like Hayoung, would look like a lost puppy? She's cute. If only she was more expressive, Hayoung would be a really nice friend to be with. 

"Order what you want. Unnie will pay." I said confidently as I flipped through the menu. 

There was no reply. I took a glance and the girl was staring blankly. She looked like she was having a mental breakdown. I can't believe it. Is this like her first time eating out with someone?

"Don't worry. Just pick what you want to eat." I said I placed my hand on her menu and moved forward.

Hayoung raised her head up and looked at me straight into my eyes. I didn't realise we were that close. I managed to see her brown orbs clearly. They were beautiful.

"You're too close." The girl responded after we exchanged stares for a second.

"Right." I said, sitting back down. "What do you like to eat, Hayoung-ah?" I asked, with a gulp. Maybe I was too excited because it's my first time hanging out with her. I need to calm down.

"I can eat anything."

"Oh really?" I asked, raising my eyebrows. "Then, let's have this one." I said, eyeing on her expression. I swear, she's super easy to read. I could see her eyes faltering at the name of the dish. "Or this one?" I asked again and checked on her. She appeared calmer now. Gosh, is it that hard for her to tell me what she likes and dislikes? 

Hayoung is a really interesting girl.

We called the waiter over and ordered the dishes according to my choices since, she refused to pick hers because I was paying.

 

 

 

 

 

Author's POV

 

 

While the housemates waited for their food to arrive, Namjoo took this chance to learn more about Hayoung. Most of the time, it was just the older girl talking and asking questions, the latter quietly answering and nodding along. It was difficult for the younger girl to open up, it was no different when she was forced onto blind dates. She had always thought being "sociable" was a waste of time. But she assumed that it was important to learn about Namjoo. After all, they were going to get married. Necessary data would be needed.

But Hayoung was a girl of many secrets and not many she would openly reveal to, especially ones surrounding her parents. All she revealed was that she had worked in Eunji's game company for about 5 years, it's her first and last job slated for her whole life. She planned it all out accordingly and will retire when she reaches the age of 50. She claims to be in love with Bbang but Namjoo simply laughed it off.

The older girl on the other hand, was a total contrast. Although at times she had a shy personality, but she was the type to have friends and hang out. She had been working as an assistant writer for three years but before that, she had done many part-time jobs to make a living. With her sudden quitting of her job, the girl has been a little lost of where she should go now. Writing has been her dream but she destroyed those aspirations herself.

"I can help you." said Hayoung as she listened to her housemate's problems.

"How? There's no way a company would hire me. I'm already a woman in my thirties. People want young blood. Not old, worn-out workers like me."

"Work at my office." 

"Huh?"

"As you know, my workplace develops an MMORPG game. We are actually looking for writers who can develop stories for several game characters and quest-related things. Are you interested?"

"Hayoung-ah...." said Namjoo as she looked into her eyes. Suddenly, she extended her arms and held onto her shoulders. "You're the best!" 

The younger girl simply maintained a straight expression as her eyes spoke of confusion.

"But will your boss be willing to hire me?"

"I can talk to her."

"It's a her?!" Namjoo widened her eyes. "I thought bosses are usually males. Wow, that's amazing." she gasped.

It was then, the older girl caught a glimpse of Hayoung smiling. Smiling. She smiled. The edges of her lips rose. But it only happened very briefly and subtly.

"Of course. It's Eunji unnie you're talking about." The younger girl said as she froze, realising that Namjoo had been staring deeply at her for a long time. "Is....something wrong?" she asked.

"Nothing." said Namjoo with a pause. "Nothing at all." she cleared .

"She will look so beautiful if she smiles more"

"Excuse me miss." said a waiter as he interrupted the conversation and served the dishes.

A silence followed as the two housemates decided to dig into their food. Namjoo, immediately devouring every single piece while Hayoung ate quietly. This was only interrupted by a ring from the younger girl's phone.

"Hello? Yes Eunji unnie? I'm outside. 4pm? I can make it. Alright, see you there." the girl soon, hung up.

"You need to go somewhere?" Namjoo asked.

"There's an investor who would like to meet us. So I'll head there after lunch. You don't need to wait for me to dinner." said Hayoung as she picked up her fork and spoon.

"But we don't eat dinner together."

"We're going to be married now. I believe that would usually be the norm."

"Right..." said Namjoo, as she realised the fact that she was going to get married.

"That reminds me, I will inform my boss, Eunji unnie about our marriage. So, I believe you can do so with your friends too."

"No problem. In fact, I'm planning to surprise them today."

"I see." replied Hayoung coldly once again with a nod.

 

 

 

 

Namjoo's POV

 

I waved my hand while watching Hayoung leave. She was going to take the subway, insisted on it being the cheapest mode of transportation. Somehow, I'm already used to her frugal thinking. What a wife I've married to. Well, I've technically not married her yet but I'm already preparing myself what to expect. Sometimes, I still wonder if this is the right decision. But whenever I think of her, I smile at that thought. No, I'm not in love with her. I'm not lesbian (or maybe i'm just ually confused). But I think she's just a really interesting girl with many secrets. One day, I would love to try and break that cold ice wall she has.

Taking a 20-minute walk, I glanced at my phone. 3:30pm. Perfect. Glancing over the window, I was now outside Chorong unnie's restaurant. As usual, she works really hard. I observed her quietly, serving and taking orders from customers, she has no idea that I'm back in Seoul. With a snicker, I quietly entered the restaurant.

"Hello, table for one person?" asked one of the waiters since Chorong unnie was busy tending to another customer.

"Yes. I'll take the corner seat over there." I said before sitting down and receiving the menu.

I've just eaten lunch with Hayoung but I already feel hungry. I guess I found out why I'm so poor, it's because I keep spending my cash on food. As I pretended to flip through the menu, I scanned my eyes onto Chorong unnie who still hasn't noticed my presence at all. It won't be long. Heh.

The moment I raised by hand up, I caught her attention. It's just so entertaining to watch her composed expression turn into a gasp, and then happiness forming in her face. Watching Chorong unnie walk towards me, I was prepared. Wanna bet that she'll hit me? 

3.

2.

1.

"Hey! I thought you said you're going to Seoul!" whispered Chorong unnie as she gently hit me on my shoulder. Told you. She's got this bad habit that's hard to kick away.

"Oops. I guess I um-changed my mind?" I answered with a nervous laughter. It's not like I can tell her that I suddenly decided to marry my housemate.

"Don't play around with my feelings. You have no idea how sad I was to hear that you're leaving okay?" she said with much relief. "Naeun is coming over in about half an hour or so. She managed to get an early leave today and we were planning to drink. I guess you'll be joining us then." 

"Count me in. Your shift finishes soon right? Just get me a cup of water." I smiled as she nodded, before heading off to tend her duties.

Of course, I'm not a fool who just wastes their time. While waiting for Chorong and Naeun unnie, I browsed through my phone in search of a job. I know, I'm getting married. So what? Hayoung can't financially support us both and I feel bad if I just sit there, doing nothing. Going through various websites, I tried to apply whatever jobs that seemed fit. From being a waiteress at a cafe, cashier at a store or even a part-time tutor, anything at all. 

 

 

 

 

 

Hayoung's POV

 

Eunji unnie and I bowed after sending the investors off. We had a good two-hour meeting, discussions regarding the future of our MMORPG game and how forming a partnership with them would create new opportunities for us. Well, I'm not the one who makes the big decision. Eunji's the CEO after all, I'm just the chief programmer of the whole team.

"So what do you think?" Eunji unnie asked with a smile.

"It's your company. Not mine." 

"It's our company." She said while nudging me. "If our company is a human, I'm the heart and you're the brain."

"Whatever." I mumbled. I was more distracted upon how to approach her on my marriage. Knowing her personality, she would boast it to her endless social circle of friends. Word spreads quickly and If I'm not careful, my grandparents will find it soon enough.

"Well, I'm going to look through their documents first. I'm still skeptical about their motives." said Eunji unnie as she clutched tightly onto the brown, thick envelope. "Thanks for coming over. The only reason I called you is because I knew you'd be at home doing nothing." she teased with a snicker.

"It's not doing nothing. I am doing something productive."

"Yeah, yeah whatever. See you next week Hayoung-ah!" she laughed.

"Wait." I said.

"Hm?" She turned her head around.

"I...have something to say...." 

"Go ahead." Her expression unchanged.

"Unnie." I took a deep breath, mentally preparing myself what to expect next. "Remember when you asked me to start taking life seriously? Like going on blind dates, meeting people and falling in love?"

"Mm." she hummed, as if expecting something else.

"Actually..." I paused. "I'm getting married."

 

 

 

 

 

Namjoo's POV

 

"Cheers to Namjoo returning to Seoul!" 

Gosh, the unnies must've really missed me huh? I smiled as I watched Chorong unnie dunk down her beer while Naeun unnie drank carefully. The three of us moved to another location as Chorong unnie insisted, because we needed somewhere else to "celebrate". So here we are, at a small vendor by the roadside with hot, steamy fishcakes and cans of beer scattered over our tables. I wonder how am I going to deliver the news to them?

"But what made you to change your mind?" asked Naeun as she started picking some fishcakes onto her plate.

"I guess you realised that writing is something you can't throw away right?" asked Chorong, stuffing some into .

"Actually, it's not related to my writing career at all. I already said that I'm going to forget about that place."

"Then?" The two of them asked in unison.

Gosh, they sure are very interested in my life.

"Unnies, calm down..." I laughed nervously. Really though, if I told them that I'm getting married, they're going to lose their . With a sigh, I turned to take one sip of the beer in my glass as I felt them staring at me, waiting for an answer.

"What I'm about to say can be very shocking so please control your volume okay?" I said calmly.

"Omo, what would be so shocking that you're saying in that way Namjoo-ya?" asked Chorong unnie, covering in anticipation.

"Don't tell me...." Naeun unnie eyed at me and motioned something with her hands. Something, .

"AH UNNIE!" I shouted. "Ah....sorry..." I immediately apologized with a bow as I realised people were staring at me. "It's not that!" I whispered while hitting Naeun unnie. I can't believe she's so dirty minded. All those trips to the nightclubs and bars had made her so corrupted.

"Then?" asked Naeun with a giggle.

A sigh left my mouth. What do I do with these unnies? Do I just drop the bomb like that? Yeah, let's just do it. Drop it, all of sudden.

"I'm getting married." I announced.

 

 

--

 

 


 

A/N: Hajoo are beginning to be a little more comfortable with each other as they're going to get married. But how will their friends react to the unexpected marriage? Do share your thoughts and I will update the next chapter soon~ Thank you for reading and subscribing ^^