Contract

Housemate

 

Namjoo's POV

 

As much as I love my family, being the only daughter of the house brings a lot of disadvantages. I hate how my dad is completely smitten and biased towards my brother and you know what makes it more infuriating? He isn't even my blood-related brother! Yes, I have to admit my family is pretty messed up. Since young, I was raised as the only child. When my loving mother whom I loved so much passed away from a sudden illness, my heartless father decided to remarry and there he came, my step brother Yook Sungjae. Ever since he came into my life, he has taken everything I had always dreamed of.

First, he stole the love of my father. Then, he took away the attention as the only son. Now, he wants to take away the one thing I have left. A home.

"Father, are you serious?!" I shouted in complete disbelief.

"Now, now, Namjoo-ya, your brother is going to get married and his wife will be living with us. After all, you're 31 years old and have a job. It's better for you to live by yourself now."

"But Father! This house is the place I grew up in! It has the memories that mom-"

"You brat! Don't you dare bring up your dead mother in this conversation!" he scowled, slamming his fists on the table.

"Fine! I'll leave! I was never your daughter from the beginning. I never existed at all and you'll be happy if I just disappear from your life forever!" I shouted, storming into my room and slamming the door shut before burying myself in the blankets, tears flowing. I hated this. Father was the only person I had left in my life. The only one who was blood-related. No matter how much I was so angry at him, I could never hate him.

Mom? What am I supposed to do?

It's so difficult for me to leave everything behind. You left so suddenly I couldn't even say my final words to you, mom.

In this world, I'm all alone. I have to climb up this ladder myself.

As I collected myself for the next hours, I heard a gentle knock on the door. I refused to even move my body. Soon, I could feel the door creaking open slightly as footsteps could be heard, over the wooden floor.

"Namjoo-ya, are you crying in your sleep again?"

That familiar voice filled with warmth. Of course. How could I forget? Even though mom was gone, I still had another mom. Although I hated her so much in the beginning, I know that she was trying her best to fill in that gap. But she could never replace mom. Never.

"I know it's too sudden and there's nothing I can do to convince your father. He is far too elated over the news and you know what happens when his mood is ruined. This is all I can do to help." I heard her suddenly placing something on my desk. "I wish you all the best."

The moment I heard the door closing away, I shot up from my bed and headed towards the desk, noticing a thick envelope. No way. Did she just give me money? With quick fingers, I counted each sheet. 500, 600, 700. I sighed. Right. What could I expect? It's not like I come from a filthy rich family anyway.

But at least, I'll survive somehow on my own.

Thanks, stepmom.

 

 

 

Hayoung's POV

 

 

 

"Are you ing with me?!" shouted my housemate- no, I mean, my former housemate as she glared into my eyes, almost wanting to attack me.

"First, you broke the second rule. No smoking. Next, you forgot to feed Bbang not once, but twice." I said calmly, listing my reasons.

"Wow, just because I forget to feed your ing dog, you're throwing me out of the house? Are you crazy?!" she shouted once again. As much I didn't mind people with anger problems, I do have issues with someone who likes to scream straight at my face. Another deducting point for her.

"As stated according to the contract, you have broken the rules three times. By adding in the number of penalty points, you are no longer eligible to live in the same house as me. Your title as my housemate is officially stripped off. End of conversation. It was a pleasure staying with you but it is unfortunate that we have to part ways in a condition like this. I wish you all the best in your future endeavours." I said, standing up with a 90-degree bow before walking out of the restaurant. I could hear Hyeri fumbling and shouting in anger as I walked further and further away.

The next morning at work, my boss Eunji unnie approached me with a heavy sigh. Well, she is my boss but at the same time, she's had this motherly role since the beginning.

Allow me to explain this complicated relationship we have. The two of us met in college, I was just a freshmen starting out and she was about to graduate. I wasn't the type to make friends so obviously, I avoided her. Eunji however, stuck close to me like glue. She started out her own company and the moment it was my turn to get my degree, she pulled-no, she forced me into her company. Since then, I've been working under her. 

"Hayoung-ah, we have to talk."

I agreed as we headed out to an empty corridor, so we wouldn't disturb the others.

"Hayoung-ah, I just received word that you sacked your own housemate."

"Yes."

"Are you crazy?"

"No."

A stressful sigh followed.

"Just because she smoked and forgot to feed your dog, you sacked her?!"

"Yes."

"Oh my god, Hayoung-ah you're really something. Look, what are you going to do now that you sacked her?!"

"Eunji unnie, wouldn't that be your fault? You are the one who recommended that housemate. Since I no longer have one, I will now be forced to leave work early to feed my dog, Bbang and do house chores."

"Are you blaming me now?!"

"Judging from the time right now, I have only 6 working hours today which means the amount of productivity that I can work is only maxed at 15% when the normal output is triple the amount that I do on a daily basis. Now, if you excuse me, I have work to do." I explained before bowing and returning to my desk.

"Wow Hayoung-ah. Wow. Fine. I'll find you a new housemate! I can't let Seoul's number one programmer leave my company!" I heard Eunji unnie's obvious words echoing along the corridor.

Don't worry. She's always like that. Enthusiastic and always on fire.

The total opposite of me.

 

 

 

Namjoo's POV

 

 

 

"He what?!" shouted Chorong unnie as she almost slammed the glass on the table.

"Calm down unnie." said Naeun unnie, holding her back.

Chorong unnie and Naeun unnie were the only friends whom I could trust. Best friends. We've come a long way together, through high school, college and now working life. They've been with me through my darkest times and I'm honestly very grateful for that.

"Have you found a place to stay yet? What is your budget?" asked Naeun unnie calmly.

"7-700...."

A silence followed as the two stared at me, as if I was joking. I know. I wish I was joking too. But I'm really poor.

"Namjoo-ya, hold on, let me run over to the bank nearby and see how much I have in my account." said Chorong unnie as she suddenly stood up.

"N-No! Unnie! Don't do it! I don't need money!" I begged, holding onto her hand.

"How are you even going to find a place with just $700?! You can't even buy an apartment with that!" scowled Chorong unnie, before returning to her seat. I"m always thankful to her. At times, she was a friend. In situations like these, she was like an older sister.

"I don't need to buy an actual apartment...I can just rent....." I mumbled.

"I have some friends who work in the real estate business. I'll see if they can help okay?" asked Naeun unnie with a smile.

"Mm. Thanks unnie."

"If I can't find a place anywhere, you can always stay at my place okay?" smiled Naeun unnie.

"No Namjoo-ya, don't go to her house. It's too dangerous." said Chorong, her eyebrows frowning.

"U-Unnie!" stuttered Naeun unnie.

"I told you so many times to stop going to the nighclubs every weekend! You kept telling us about how guys keep coming after you and how you almost slept with someone! I can't believe you decided to choose this lifestyle!" scolded Chorong, like a mother.

"I only go there to drink and have fun, unnie!" said Naeun unnie in retaliation. "I'm a woman who works in the office, there are times where I get stressed and just want to let it all out."

"You're not going to be any younger Naeun-ah. Listen, you're already in your thirties-"

"And you're going to turn forty."

"Hey-"

"ANYWAYS Chorong unnie!" I said, hoping to break their bickering apart. "How are things going between you and Bomi unnie?"

There was a sigh. "We broke up." she said coldly, changing the direction of her eyes to somewhere else.

"Please unnie, you guys have broken up and gotten back together a million times already." shrugged Naeun as if she had been tired hearing this story over and over again.

"I-It's really over between us. She didn't respond to my text messages for over a week now!" stuttered Chorong, arms crossed.

It was at that coincidental moment, her phone rang. And the person calling, was written clearly on the screen "Bom~<3"

Naeun unnie and I started holding our laughter before we nudged Chorong unnie to answer it.

"I-I'm not going to pick up." said Chorong sternly but we could all tell, she really wanted to answer the call.

Because we knew Chorong unnie would act like this, I snatched her phone and answered it.

"Oh, hello Bomi unnie! It's been awhile. Yeah, yeah. You want to talk to Chorong unnie right? Here you go." I said with a teasing grin, before passing it back to Chorong unnie.

It only took three seconds before she snatched the phone back, got up from her seat and went somewhere quiet to continue the call. I exchanged glances with Naeun unnie as we giggled.

"It must be nice to be in that period of falling in and out of love." sighed Naeun unnie.

"Is that why you're constantly going to clubs in hopes of finding someone?" I asked with a laugh.

"As if." she scoffed. "What about you? You said you had a crush on your co-worker? Minjae, right?"

"Ahh...unnie let's not talk about that please..." I said shyly. It was true but I've been keeping my feelings for a long time now. I never really found the right time to confess and he's a year younger than me.

"Alright. Tell me when your love story progresses. Cheers." chuckled Naeun as she raised her glass of wine.

""And I really hope you won't end up sleeping with someone, Naeun unnie." I deadpanned. "Cheers." Our glasses clicked. 

A night away from home and spending time with my closest friends, it was a break away from all the stress I've been experiencing from both at home and work. Maybe it was time to sort things out with my life.

I made the decision to finally move out. Or rather, I was forced to move out since the beginning.

Plus, I think, I should start mustering my courage to confess my feelings.

 

 

 

Hayoung's POV

 

 

 

"How about this one?" Eunji unnie asked as she gave me her tablet and swiped pictures of people whom she had contacts with.

"I don't accept male applicants."

"What about this?"

"Her salary is more than 4,000 a month. She is too rich. Her personality would be quite troublesome to handle."

"Okay, this one?"

"She owns a pet cat. Bbang would not like a rival."

A sigh continued.

"You're being really difficult Hayoung-ah."

"You're the one that is making my life difficult unnie." I said as I stared at her. "It's 3pm. I have to leave at 6pm."

"But we have a meeting today!" said Eunji.

"Would you like Bbang to starve to death?"

"You need to present your proposal regarding the update!"

"I am sorry but Bbang's hunger is more important than that."

"Hayoung-ah!"

"Now if you excuse me, I have some work to do Eunji unnie." I said with a bow, before returning back to my desk.

I am a person who has a set of rules and regulations. I follow them strictly and accordingly. I am conflict averse and have a simple and pragmatic outlook. For all my life, I aimed towards one goal, to work in a game company. Now in my thirties, I am a chief programmer of an online MMORPG game where I work hand in hand with the crew. Though I understand the importance of the latest update has the future of the company at stake, I must never let Bbang starve.

Why? Because I plan to live with Bbang forever, until I die.

And no. I will never get married nor fall in love.

These are the principles of life that I have constructed by myself and I will abide by it at all costs.

 

 

 

Namjoo's POV

 

 

 

For the past few weeks, I've been going around places trying to find a new home. But honestly, it hasn't been turning out great. I mean, what can you get with just $700? I've visited houses with dark, sunless basements, some had no water and power while another seemed rather decent but it has a bug infestation. While the problems of finding a new place has been stressing me out, I've been busy working. What do I work as? I'm a writer. An assistant writer to be exact. It's my dream job and although I do get shouted and screamed at by crazy superiors, I'm used to it. Having to re-write my scripts and screenplays several times before making it to the cut, it's not a very fashionable job I ought to say but I enjoy writing. The best part? Minjae's always around to give me advice on what I should do next.

Still wondering when and how I should confess though.

In the midway of fumbling through and typing away at another lengthy script, my phone rang.

"Hello? Chorong unnie?"

"My friend Solar just found a great home for you! It's a spacious apartment on the city outskirts. Are you free to check it out today?"

"Really? Where is it?" I asked as I headed over to grab a pen.

"It's at Moonbean Residences. Pretty neat place actually!"

"Alright, I check it out tomorrow. Thank you unnie!"

"I'll send you the details later, but wait!"

"What?"

"The thing is, you'll have to share the apartment with someone so you'll have a housemate. And, you have to move in immediately!"

"That's absolutely fine! I don't have a place to call home anyway." I said jokingly. Thanks again!" before hanging up.

I have a really good feeling about this.

 

 

 

Hayoung's POV

 

 

 

"Kim Namjoo?" I asked, staring at the photo.

"She's only a year older than you, has a salary of less than $4000 and doesn't own any pets." said Eunji as she looked at me.

I continued to look at her photo for awhile. Now, I'm not picky about what my roommate would look like but I do mind if she had hair dye or anything like that. Thankfully, she doesn't. She passes the first round in terms of appearance.

"Fine. Let her move in today and see how she fairs." I said cooly before returning back to my computer.

"Very well Hayoung-ah. I'll share her contact details with you. Just you wait, I'll make you come back and work normally non-stop. I can't let you leave work early anymore." Eunji mumbled to herself with a victorious scoff.

Can't she tell that I can obviously hear her? Well, it doesn't matter. Selecting a new housemate will be taken seriously. As I said before, I have my own rules and those apply when it comes to living with someone else.

 

1. The housemate must do all the house chores, laundry and ensure all items are recycled in the proper order.

2. The housemate must not smoke or is an alcoholic.

3. The housemate must be responsible to feed my dog at interval hours.

4. The housemate must not conduct in any form of romantic relationship with me.

 

As long as they follow, I have no problems in having a housemate. But why would I go through all the trouble to share a house with someone? Simple. I am a normal human being who is in debt. In fact, a lot of debt. I had already calculated that by the time I repay all my debts and loans, I will be in my forties, meaning the remaining time I have left, is around an average of 40 more years. That is not a lot of time left to enjoy life, not that there’s anything interesting as it is.

 

 

 

Namjoo's POV

 

 

 

I think it's really amazing how Chorong unnie's friend managed to find a house like this. It's a perfect apartment block with the right size and space. Beautifully furnished and ventilated, I looked around the neat kitchen and spacious living area that was accompanied with a television. It was only then, I was greeted by an adorable black tanpome dog, excitedly wiggling its tail as it proceeded to sniff me. I was immediately smitten by it.

"Hello! Were you waiting for your master?" I asked, feeling the curves of my lips unconsciously moving upwards as I patted the dog.

During my ride here, I was told by Solar unnie that there were rules to follow and an internship period will be observed, before the owner will decide to commit to a rental contract or not. That was strange. I never thought becoming a housemate would have so many procedures. The good thing about it though, was that I could move in immediately.

So on that day, I brought all of my stuff along. It's not like I would even get a farewell from my family anyways. Right at the entrance, there was a door on my right and a door on my left. The right one was occupied while the left was not. Shifting all of my things in, the bedroom was in a good condition and had nice ventilation as well. Not bad for a rent of $700 without deposit.

As I began settling in, I vowed myself to follow the rules accordingly. That's how each of my day began.

In the morning, I would feed her dog and start cleaning the kitchen. Already, there were evidence of my housemate eating a late night cup noodle and she really just had to toss it into the sink like that. Wow. I washed the cup, dried it and neatly placed it into the recycling bags. Honestly, I couldn't stop my curiousity as I glanced over to the other closed door. Solar didn't send me a picture of what my housemate looked like. But it was not really my concern anyways. After cleaning, I got ready and left the house for work.

Hours after the sun has set, I returned back home and noticed that the door is closed. But her shoes are not at the entrance. Does she work late? Checking the time, it was now 11pm. I proceeded to feed Bbang as promised and make sure everything is speck-spot clean before returning to my room.

Maybe it isn't that bad after all. Not wanting to possibly disturb her at work, I resolved to leaving a sticky note on the fridge, in hopes that she would read it when she comes back home. With that done, I proceeded to set my alarm to 8am and headed back to sleep.

 

 

 

Hayoung's POV

 

 

 

I wanted to trust my new housemate as I decided to work overtime like usual. Eunji unnie sure looked relieved now that I wasn't going to leave work early. Look at her, she's in such a good mood now, humming away in the office.

It's funny how time can pass so fast when you're focused on something. I couldn't even realise how exhaustion had consumed me. Staring blankly at the glaring computer screen with the completed coding for the next update, I peeked around the office floor where my other co-workers were. They were in a much worse condition than me. Some were almost dozing off, others were doing everything they can to keep themselves awake whether it be a cup of coffee or slapping their cheeks, this is just a normal sight in my company. Checking the time, it was 3am. Overtime hours meant working till 4am. One hour left before everyone could go home and get some rest. I hope my new housemate is adjusting well.

Well, not like I should be wasting time worrying over a stranger who lives in the same house as me.

By the time I got home, I could already feel the empty space being filled up. There was evidence that someone else besides me was living in this very house. Looking at the door on my left, it was closed. Carefully taking out my shoes as I entered through the living room, Bbang greeted me as I glanced over at his feeding bowl. She was fed as told. But I saw a pink sticky note right beside it.

"There were some leftover chicken in the fridge so I fed it as a treat. Hope you don't mind."

Walking over to the kitchen, everything was spotless clean. Dishes neatly dried, things were organised in perfect shape and cups in the recycling bags. Impressive. Heading to the fridge, there was yet another pink sticky note stuck in front.

"I did everything as you told me to do. I even cleared out leftovers in the fridge that looked like they were going to rot. I'm not going to ask you anything but hopefully that keeps the house insect-free since I'm absolutely terrified of insects. Have a nice day!"

There was another layer of sticky note underneath.

"P.S, what is the name of your dog? He’s really cute!"

Unconsciously, I found myself smiling. This is something rare because it would take many things to make me smile.

I am a girl of little emotions after all.

I made my decision.

Taking a new piece and writing down onto a sticky note, I placed it onto my housemate's door before disappearing into my bedroom.

 

 

 

Namjoo's POV

 

 

 

I was having a really good dream, until that annoying alarm clock ruined the perfect moment. With a groan, I got up, lazily brushed my teeth, got ready for work as I carefully opened the door, peeking around if my housemate was awake. But the bedroom door across me was still closed. I headed to the fridge to get a quick breakfast and was about to leave when I noticed a sticky note pasted onto my door. Why didn't I notice that earlier?

"I would like to make a contract with you. When will you be free? Call me when you have made a decision."

As I flipped to the next layer underneath,

"My dog is called Bbang by the way."

Although it wasn't much, but it relieved me. Looks like I passed this internship and the owner has accepted me as her housemate.

I wonder what is going to happen from now on, living with my new housemate whom I have yet to see her face. What kind of differences will we have and the stories we will experience with each other? Surely, we'll be friends and not enemies right?

It's the start of something new.

Living with a stranger and becoming her housemate.

I wonder what kind of things we might go through together, years down the road?

 

 

 

--

 

 


 

A/N: Here it goes, the beginning of Housemate! Do share your thoughts about the first chapter, it's always fun to read your comments ^^ For those who have watched the drama, "Because This Is My First Life", the story appears to follow exactly but don't worry~ things are going to change further onwards to spice it up a little. I wanted to try working on a Hajoo fanfic since there isn't many around and they've been climbing up my ranks of Apink ships. There might be little scenes of 2eun and Chomi in the future, stay tuned~ Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoyed it! I will try to update as soon as I can :)