CHAPTER 03: Step By Step

WALK ON MEMORIES

EXO was put in a hiatus even if they're currently in their comeback month. Their SNS mails were flooded by worrying fans as no official statement was released regarding the incident. An investigation was currently on going for a week now and they returned to the hospital everyday as well. A lot of idols expressed their worry and prayers for the idol. Footages of the incident were conquering different sites as well.

The coordi-noona apologized a lot to the group but EXO assured the staff that it was not her fault. Baekhyun protected the four members and the kid in his own will and it was brave and heroic. They can't even stop thinking of it as they look at the fallen idol so motionless, something far from the true Baekhyun.

It was five days after when Baekhyun was taken out of ICU. He was out of the critical list and is recovering smoothly. The eighth day was the day when Baekhyun woke up. He looked at the members with half-lidded eyes, Jongin running to get a doctor, and then he fell asleep after the check-up. The doctor told them that Baekhyun's injuries are to make full recovery in time but they have to check his head for the possible complication they're all dreading.

Ninth day and Baekhyun woke up once more but fell asleep without uttering a word. They were told that the patient will be in and out of consciousness for a minimum of three days. Tenth day and Baekhyun was still unresponsive but they're smiling as they know their fellow idol is safe. He was still pale but his color is slowly recovering. 

Eleventh and EXO's heart broke. Baekhyun's family stayed overnight while all of them rest back in the dorms to prepare for the conference regarding Baekhyun's condition. They went back to the hospital room to find a sitting up Baekhyun being hugged by Baekbom while his parents watch from the sidelines with puffy eyes obviously from crying.

"Baek." Chanyeol uttered. The latter didn't look as if he wasn't called but his head perked up when more footsteps resounded in his ears. He stared at the seven people with doubtful eyes until his face scrunched and he grabbed Baekbom's shoulder while his other hand was placed on his bandaged head. EXO just froze in shock as they watch the older Byun comfort his little brother. He was groaning in pain, tears starting to fall from his eyes. "Baekhyun? Baekhyun what's wrong? Are you okay?" Baekhyun almost screamed in pain but it was muffled by the hug given by his brother. A nurse came and the seven members were requested out of the room.

Baekbom walked out after a little while and he looked at the rest of EXO with a sad smile. "I-is he okay now, Baek-hyung?" Junmyeon asked. The latter nodded. "He was given strong painkillers. He is now asleep." They all sighed in relief. "Why did he, hyperventilate and suffered extreme pain?" Kyungsoo uttered with worried eyes.

"His head injury is still recovering and, maybe there was an onslaught of familiarity when you came causing his brain to try to remember you guys." The older Byun explained.

"What do you-" Jongdae's question was halted as soon as he realized it. "Hyung. Please don't tell us that-"

Baekbom bit his lip. "He doesn't remember anything."

They felt their bodies lose energy, their hearts breaking, and mind suddenly running wild as they stare at the older brother of their member in disbelief. Baekbom looked at the seven with sympathy as he knows well what the sickening feeling in their bodies might be.

"I'm going to request mom and dad to let you take care of Baekhyun." Baekbom suddenly announced, surprising the seven out of their momentary stupor. "But hyung-" Chanyeol choked.

Baekbom pulled them into a tight hug. "I know. I really want to take care of Baekhyun, to make him remember everything, but he spent most of his time with you and you are his family too. You filled his recent memories more than us so I want you to take care of him. I know you won't fail me."

They all broke down, crying their hearts out. The Byun couple came to them as well and assured them that it's what they want. They were comforted by the Byun family until it was time for them to go. The Byun family went inside the room to bid goodbye to their fellow family member as soon as he woke up. Baekhyun was confused but he just nodded.

After the Byun family left, EXO entered the room hesitantly. Baekhyun's eyes looked at them as if they're strangers, his lips not quirking into a smile the usual they do. He was sitting up, his upper boddy flopped on soft pillows while he cradles a large, fluffy, stuffed dog Baekbom gave him with his uninjured arm. 

"Baekhyun?" Minseok tested. Baekhyun took more seconds before reacting at their calling. "I'm sorry." He apologized with a soft voice. "I was told that it was my name. I'm still trying to grasp that idea."

All of them gave a smile to the patient. "Is it okay if we sit around you?" This time, Junmyeon was the one who spoke. Baekhyun blinked at them then nodded. "It's fine. I'm sorry for a while ago."

Sehun went to his side and gave him a half-hug. "It's fine hyung." Baekhyun was surprised but he softened. "Hyung?" He asked.

The others stifled a laugh and sat around him, pulling the maknae from the patient. "He is really younger than you. In fact, he is the maknae of our group." Chanyeol explained while patting the fluffy dog. 

Baekhyun's mouth formed an 'o' before smiling widely at the maknae. "So, we're in a group?"

Kyungsoo nodded. "We are from the group named EXO in SM company. It's an idol group. We are 12 members originally but three of our Chinese members pursued solo careers while our other Chinese member is in his hometown promoting. We are currently in our comeback month and we just won an award last week." Jongdae explained. Baekhyun's awe got stronger. "I'm sorry for- pulling you down, I guess?"

Junmyeon shook his head. "No. We're happy that you're safe. It's what matters." "You were so heroic that day." Kyungsoo admitted shyly. Jongin and Sehun agreed. "You also saved us hyung. You protected coordi-noona's daughter." Baekhyun was dumbfounded. 

Chanyeol his bandaged head and Baekhyun felt familiarity running through his skin like electricity. "Would you, mind, if you introduce yourselves?" He hesitated. They were all taken aback before smiling.

Junmyeon looked at s smiling. "EXO" "We are one!" They said in chorus. "I'm EXO's leader, Suho but my real name is Kim Junmyeon." 

"I'm Kim Minseok, the eldest but I'm known as Xiumin in our group." Minseok said while putting a gentle tap on Baekhyun's hand.

"I'm Park Chanyeol! Your roommate and rapper of the group. I have, big ears?" The happy virus explained eliciting a giggle from Baekhyun.

Jongdae followed. "I'm your fellow vocalist, Kim Jongdae but I'm known as Chen in our group. You, Me, and Chanyeol are part of the so-called Beagle line in our group."

Kyungsoo bit his lip and then smiled. "Do Kyungsoo but I'm known as D.O in the group. Also part of the vocal line with you."

"Kim Jongin aka Kai. Main dancer of the group and second youngest." Jongin explained. "We missed you hyung."

"Oh Sehun, maknae." Sehun smiled.

Baekhyun looked at them before smiling slightly. "So, I sing?"

"Oh you just don't know how well you can." Chanyeol chided happily. "And you dance so well too. You can rap. And god, your singing voice is internationally known." Jongdae followed earning a nod from the others. Baekhyun frowned a bit, his hand suddenly grasping the bandages on his arm. "I-I'm really sorry. I don't know. I'm sorry."

Junmyeon hugged the lost puppy and patted his back gently, aware of the bruises littering the vocalist's back. "As we said earlier, what matters right now is that you're safe. Your family wanted us to help you regain your memories and we'll do it step by step. Don't stress yourself, okay?"

Baekhyun nodded. EXO then handed him a larger stuffed toy of a dog. "You're puppy Byun." They said laughingly. "Kamsahamnida." He said with a soft smile. Soon they settled in small chats, about the beagle line, about how come Minseok was the eldest and Sehun was the youngest, and EXO. He wanted to know who Baekhyun really was before this whole ordeal happened.

-----------------------------------------------