CHAPTER 12: Take A Leap

WALK ON MEMORIES

Jongin and Sehun worriedly stared at Baekhyun while Chanyeol and Jongdae formed a protective barrier beside him. Junmyeon was reluctant and Minseok was just neutral. They were walking towards the studio and Baekhyun was uneasy.

The members confessed the real deal and Baekhyun, not wanting to burden the members, agreed despite his reluctance. He will attend the concert for the sake of his group and maybe, just maybe, his memories will return.

Before they could step inside the safe walls of the practice room, Heechul of Super Juniors appeared along with a coordi-noona. Baekhyun's eyes met the older's and they both froze in their spots. Heechul politely excused himself and then ran to hug the smaller.

The others were surprised and they could only freeze on their spots as well. "Hyung." Junmyeon snapped and Heechul remembered. He backed out but he placed his hands on the surprised idol's shoulders. He looked at the younger and Baekhyun managed to crack a small smile. This time, Heechul dropped his hands to his side.

"I'm sorry." The sassy sunbae said sincerely. Baekhyun shook his head and smiled. He looked at the members first and urged them to enter before him. They all understood and went in but only after a 'call us if anything happens' statement was exchanged.

Heechul and Baekhyun sat at the ledge near the large windows of the company building. "So, you don't remember me?" Heechul asked, pained eyes visible behind the pair of glasses. "I'm sorry." Baekhyun just managed to answer.

"It's not your fault Baek. I'm Kim Heechul, a sunbae of yours and member of Super Juniors. We are close, ah what am I saying?" He suddenly said and Baekhyun chuckled. "I find you comfortable hyung. Can I get a hug again?" Heechul brightened up and he pulled the EXO member without second thoughts.

They talked for a while until it's time for both of them to go. "If you need someone to talk to other than your members call me. I'll introduce you to our other labelmates, okay?" Baekhyun nodded and then bowed politely.

He entered the practice room to find the members singing. He stood there in awe and just watched quietly.

점점 가까워지는 이 길 끝에
아주 오랜 기도가 닿은 그때
꿈꿔 온 내일이 우리 앞에
환하게 밝아 올 테니

He closed the door without a noise except for the soft click and then he sat down near one of the mirrors but not visible to the view of the members, his knees raised to accomodate his arm and head.

눈부신 금빛 햇살이 가득 쏟아져 (Oh)
환하게 빛난 너 아름다워서
(빛난 너 아름다워 Yeah)
내 눈동자에 선명히 담아 (담아)
잠든 이 세상이 눈뜨기 전에 (Oh oh oh) (전에)

Along with the song is another rush of memories plaguing his mind, he buried his face on his arms, his breathing fluctuating from calm state as he tries to focus on the voices outside of his head.

이제 눈을 떠
Do it do it do it do it do it do it (Oh yeah yeah)
잊지 말아 줘
Do it do it do it do it do it do it (Oh oh oh)
언젠가 너의 옆에서 발걸음 맞춰
그 길 따라 함께 걷고 싶은
아름다운 밤

He can see the eleven members along with him through press conferences, variety shows, and concerts. He saw himself hitting the high notes. His mind gives a vivid view of the EXO members rehearsing and dancing for music videos. He also heard their voices talking and just happily chatting regarding what happened that time and how they're hoping to get the award at the next music awards.

아름다운 밤

The song finished and the others giddily gave a thumbs up to the performance. They're about to fetch their towels and water when they saw the prone figure of Baekhyun trembling at one of the corners. Kyungsoo and Chanyeol ran towards the vocalist since they're the nearest as well.

"Hey. Baekhyun." Kyungsoo called out but Baekhyun didn't budge. "Chanyeol-ah." D.O. turned to the rapper. Chanyeol nodded and then he pressed his fingers on Baekhyun's neck, eliciting a gasp from the latter. He opened his eyes to find 7 pairs of worried eyes.

Baekhyun blinked before coughing. "Ah, I didn't mean to inter-" "What happened?" Junmyeon cut him off due to worry. Baekhyun was at lost for words. He doesn't know what happened as well. Memories are returning but his heart still ache. Like those memories aren't familar. "I also don't know."

Junmyeon glanced at the other members and Sehun had enough of the awkward situation and so he offered his hand to the slightly shivering idol. "Let's go hyung! I want to hear you sing." He happily announced. Baekhyun accepted the offered hand and he was glad that the maknae line supported and steadied him.

They took an hour to teach Baekhyun the tune and lyrics of at least 5 songs from the setlist. With the natural talent of the vocalist to pick up rhythm and melody, it was quite easy and enjoyable. They also found the idea of hearing one of their main vocals singing again.

It was heartbreaking for the whole group to never hear Baekhyun sing at least once a day when they're altogether in the dorm. Even Chanyeol found it agonizing to not hear the usual vocalization before sleep of the other beagle. Hearing Baekhyun sing again is a blessing and a curse for the members.

They can't help but think how unfair it is that Baekhyun has to suffer just because of protecting others. They still honestly can't grasp that Baekhyun is currently at a lost state.

"Jongdae-ah, can you sing this part for me?" Baekhyun requested as he points at a certain part of the lyrics sheet. Jongdae nodded and complied but he felt his gut twisting to hear Baekhyun asking something like that. After all, the song is "What is Love" and Baekhyun knows this song by heart. Kyungsoo just stared but his feelings are radiating like open fire.

Baekhyun can feel them but he chose not to tell them. He wanted to believe as well that everything will be fine. He wanted to grasp the idea of being okay.

Even when there's nothing alright at all.

-----------------------------------------------