Ch 14

Haunted (Rewrite)

Zhou Mi groaned, trying to roll over in his bed. Something pulled on his arm though, resisting his movements. With another groan, he opened his eyes, reaching over to pull whatever it was off his arm.

"Hey, can't be pulling that out again." A hand settled on his wrist, guiding it away from his arm.

He looked up in surprise, seeing a dark-haired young man standing next to him. "Who-" He couldn't say any more, starting to cough instead.

"Here." The young man grabbed a plastic cup from a stand beside him, holding it to his lips.

Zhou Mi sat up, a straw poking his cheek. He turned his head, taking the straw to drink some water before the cup was taken back.

"Now I'm guessing you're wondering who I am?"

Zhou Mi nodded, noticing the blue scrubs the man was wearing. He sat up more, looking around. The room he was in was bare but for a tv mounted on a wall, two chairs and a machine sitting next to his bed. "I'm in the hospital..."

"Yes. Do you know why?"

He groaned again, laying back on the bed. He looked down at himself, the white gown he was wearing confirming that he was, indeed, in the hospital. "What happened?"

"You got stabbed. Seems someone broke into your house and you walked in on them. I'm Henry, by the way."

"Zhou Mi. Though I assume you already know that." Without thinking, he reached down to pull his gown up.

"I wouldn't do that just yet. They aren't pretty."

"They?"

"Your stitches. The knife missed anything important, thankfully, but it did leave a pretty good cut. You'll have an impressive scar when you're healed."

"Ugh, that's wonderful." Zhou Mi huffed, laying back against the back. "How long am I going to be here?"

"Well, that'll depend on how well you do while you're here."

"What does that mean?"

"It means, as long as you don't pick up an infection, you should be out in a few days or so. Maybe a week."

"A week? I can't miss work for that long!"

"Well, someone named Heechul was here. He asked me to tell you that you have as long as you need to heal fully. Your job is safe."

"Yeah, but... my house. I need to clean up..."

"And someone named Ryeowook told me he'd get your house taken care of."

Zhou Mi slumped back into his bed. "Guess I have no more protests then.."

Henry grinned at him, shaking his head. "Nope, you don't. So, just relax and enjoy it while you can."

****

A finger jabbing into his shoulder woke him up with a jolt.

Kyuhyun was standing by his bed, looking both annoyed and relieved. "You're an idiot."

"Y-You've told me that before. Why are you here?" Zhou Mi asked sleepily, yawning as he sat up. "You told me you couldn't leave the house."

"I lied. Ghosts don't have to tell you everything, you know."

"You were worried about me then."

"No." Kyuhyun flushed. "Yes. Your friend didn't say anything about you when he came over. I didn't know if you were dead or alive."

"After you spilled wine on his tablecloth, I'm not surprised he didn't say anything to you."

"After I did what?"

"Spilled wine on his tablecloth?" Zhou Mi watched him as he spoke. "It was during his date with Heechul."

"I wasn't anywhere near him or Heechul." Kyuhyun answered, looking confused. "I especially wasn't spilling wine on his tablecloth."

Zhou Mi stared at him for a minute before deciding that he was telling the truth. "Guess I should let him know that it wasn't you then."

"You believe me?"

"Yeah. Why would you lie about that?"

Kyuhyun stared at him, his lips pursed. "Why'd you stay? You got hurt."

"Because it's my house and my stuff he was going through. Though if I'd known he had a knife..."

"Oh, the knife would've scared you away but not the unknown man breaking into your house. Makes complete sense."

"Where'd you get the paint you spilled on him?"

"Oh, so you did notice that. It was in the shed." Kyuhyun replied, sounding pleased with himself. "I only got it on him too."

"Good. I'd hate to have to kill you for getting paint on my stuff."

"I'm already dead, you can't kill me."

"Wasn't the point I was trying to make." Zhou Mi laid back, yawning again. "Either go away or stop talking. I'm tired."

"Alright, alright. Go to sleep."