Wendy Delayed

LoveUP!

Wendy stood in the bathroom, curtains flung open to allow the natural morning sun to spill in and fight against the bright lights of the vanity.  A makeup brush dangled between her fingers as she gazed into the mirror, eyes boring into nothing, mind floating in a realm of nothing.  A surreal haze of wonderment surrounded her, eyes flicking between wide amazement and confused scrunches.  A loud rap on the door caused her to jump, shaking her out of her reverie.

"Everyone is almost ready.  We'll be starting todays shoot out front," came the voice of their manager.  She shook her head quickly as though the motion would knock some sense into her.  Finally, head cocking to the side as her face twisted up, brow and nose scrunched in confusion, she began to talk to herself.

"What did she mean I am not alone?  Was that in context to the song?  Did she think I needed comfort?  Maybe she didn't realize the song was about lovers spending the night together?"  She ran her makeup brush over the square of light brush, over and over without thought.  Finally she let it slip from her fingers to clatter against the countertop.  Planting her hands on the edge of the counter, she leaned forward to stare at herself in the mirror, her own image becoming a second person in this private conversation.

"Her eyes were different, though."  She recalled the hungry look that flashed upon Irene’s features as the girl hovered above her, so different and unusual.  The soft melt of a warm teasing smile that shifted into something else, eyes that held a hint of desire behind them.  She felt herself flush at the memory, her body still feeling the heat and pressure of Irene's tiny frame as it had pressed down into her.

"She doesn't know I'm gay, does she?"  Panic quickly welled up inside Wendy, her hands coming to pat her cheeks as she spun around in place.  "Oh no, oh no.  What to do!?"  She came to a stop and leaned her hip against the vanity, eyes clamping shut as she felt a mix of both terror and embarrassment fight for control within her.

With a loud bang the door to the bathroom flew open causing Wendy to give a loud yelp of surprise and stumble, the heel of her foot catching on the edge of the plush bathroom floor mat.  Her arms flailing upward, face almost a comical mockery of old Vaudeville gag men, she began to fall.  Small hands grabbed her, steadying her as a voice gave a magical laugh.

Her eyes fell on Irene, eyes wide with mirth at Wendy's antics.  "Wendy-ah, are you okay?" At Wendy's not, Irene gave a low chuckle and helped Wendy find steady footing, refusing to relinquish her grip on Wendy's warms, they stood there a long moment.  "You're such a dork," Irene said as she seemed to soak up Wendy's embarrassment happily.

Casting her gaze downwards, Wendy shrugged her shoulders bashfully, afraid to look up knowing her eyes could betray her.  She had been in love since their days as SM Rookies and had lived in fear of letting her emotions slip out.  They had grown closer preparing for debut, their bond of friendship growing stronger since.  Wendy had cherished Irene's warmth and kindness, the skin ship they shared a blessing to Wendy even though she knew there was hope in things ever going beyond that.  She had managed to push those feelings down, hidden and buried.  Now they had come back like a car crash, messy and violent, something she couldn't control.

"Look at me, Wendy-ah," came Irene's voice.  It was comforting like a mothers, soft and tender.  Forcing a smile onto her lips, Wendy tilted her head upwards enough to glance at Irene through her long lashes, her cheeks flushed as she mustered up a tiny smile.  Wendy felt the small girl pull her closer, her own feet moving unbidden, unable to resist Irene.  She knew she never would be able to when those dark eyes bore into her, Irene's smile like a sirens call.  A shiver ran down her spine as Irene let go of a hand to reach up and brush a stray tendril of hair from her brow, the soft caress of those fingertips like fire each time they brushed her pale flesh.

"I'm so sorry about," Wendy began but found herself quieted by a finger pressed against her lips.  Irene shook her head at her.

"Please, no apologies."  It wasn't a request but a command.

"Oh... Okay... I just.." Wendy stammered, unable to articulate words properly as her mind flew into a fluster.  She wanted to say something that would explain the morning, to shield herself from the disgust and rejection Irene would throw her way if her true feelings were revealed.  All the while Irene just stared at Wendy, lips curling into a smirk as though she knew the tumultuous thoughts running through the small girls head.

Irene quickly took a step forward, the gap between them closing before Wendy could react.  Head craning forward, she placed a lingering kiss on the corner of Wendy's lips.  Wendy's eyes slowly drew open in shock, her body paralyzed as her cheeks suddenly flared pink with a blush.  Her limbs felt heavy, her knees unstable as she watched Irene slowly draw away.  With a giggle, Irene stepped back, smiling like a cat that got the canary, seemingly happy as she watched Wendy's face twist and change with every emotion that washed over her.

Shock.  Elation.  Shock.  Excitement.  Wonder.

"Hurry or you'll be late getting out front."

Reaching up, Irene gave a tender pat on Wendy's flushed cheek, her lips curled in amusement before opening the bathroom door.  As Irene began to slip out of the room, she glanced over at Wendy, a mischievous glint flashing through her eyes as she spoke in a hushed tone.

"You're my girlfriend now."

As the door closed, Irene's presence suddenly gone from the room, Wendy felt her legs give out beneath her.  She fell to the floor, shoulders slumped forward as fell open in complete shock, arms dangling limply at her sides.  In her mind she kept repeating, "She kissed me.  Girlfriend.  She kissed me.  Girlfriend," over at over as though it were some mantra.  Finally she could do nothing but squeal, even more confused now than before.

A sudden bang on the door made her jump, her eyes quickly flashing up in hopes to see Irene step through once more only to be disappointed as the voice of her manager came through again, muffled.  "Everyone is outside with the tour guide, please hurry up!"

AUTHOR NOTES:  As I have been writing the rough drafts for parts 3 and 4 I realize how disjointed it my feel.  This story is a series of vignettes taking place during the reality series but I will do my best to keep things as coherent as possible. Thank you for reading!