A Long Time Ago

LoveUP!

Note:  For those who haven't watched the reality show, this scene takes place their first night in the pension they stay in.

 

A Long Time Ago

Dawn peeked through the curtains, a single ray of light drawing across the white sheets of the large bed.  Irene shifted beneath the covers, her short legs stretching out as a tiny groan escaped her lips, eyes gently fluttering open as she awoke.  Blinking, the room came to shape, unfamiliar and new, a sense of panic almost overtook her before remembering they were on a working vacation.  As her sense fully came to her she could hear the soft sound of acoustic guitar as an English song filled the room.

 

We spent the whole night talking.

You said you'd like to see the sun rise.

But in the gold of morning,

Was nothing that I had not seen in your eyes.

 

"Are you awake, Unnie?" came Wendy's voice, languid and filled with the remnants of slumber.  Shifting to her side, Irene smiled brightly as Wendy's face came into view, her dongsaeng just a hand's breadth away from her.  She could feel the younger girls warmth as Wendy slid towards her, an arm slipping casually about her waist.  Irene could only smile and let the young girl in knowing how much Wendy craved affection, both in words and touch.

 

I was afraid to touch you,

Thought you were to young, you know.

So I just watched you sleeping.

 

Grinning, she let her eyes soak in the luminescent glow of Wendy's porcelain face soaked in sunlight.  Daringly Irene brought her hand up to escape the warm confines of the blankets, fingertips falling to caress along the curve of Wendy's jaw.  The touch elicited a soft sight of happiness, drawn unbidden from the small girls throat, as darks eyes fluttered open to meet Irene's.  They both smiled at each other, tender grins shared between intimate friends.

 

"Is this one of your American indie songs, Wendy-ah?"

 

Then you woke and said to me,

The night is cold, it frightens me.

I could sleep so easy next to you.

 

Wendy gave a tiny shake of her head, "No, it's not actually!"  Her voice began to rise in excitement as it always did when talking about music she loved.  Her eyes would sparkle and her body all but shake, Wendy seemed to wear her excitement on her sleeve just above her heart.  "It's actually an American oldie.  My music teacher in America would always play old songs and I fell in love with some of them.  This song is called A Long Time Ago by Jim Croce."  Irene could only smile and take it in. It was simply best to let Wendy spill it all out, stopping her being akin to blocking a raging river with just her hands.  "When you woke up and I saw you sleeping I suddenly remembered this song and wanted to play it.  I hope it didn't wake you up!" 

 

Wasn't very long ago,

you said you would like to share my role.

 

Irene shook her head, "No, it didn't, though I did like waking up to it.  It's a pretty sounding song.  What is he singing about?"  She felt Wendy suddenly stiffen next to her, the girls cheeks flushing red.  Suddenly Wendy's eyes were everywhere except for Irene's face, the girls expressive features betraying the embarrassment she was feeling inside.  Irene could only stifle a giggle, her eyes suddenly filled with mischief as she gave Wendy's cheek a tender poke.  "Wendy-ah," her voice turning a teasing sing-song, "what is he singing about?  Tell me."

 

Then you started singing my song,

Spent so many nights a-waiting,

 

"It's... you know... it's about... well," Wendy sputtered and stammered, the mixture of panic and bashfulness seeming to only embolden Irene even more.  She gave a low laugh, bemused at the younger girls apparent discomfiture.  She struck suddenly, pushing Wendy onto her back and sliding beneath the sheets to straddle her.  Wendy's eyes flew wide open in shock, all attempts to resist held at bad as she caught sight of Irene's smiling face, dark cascades of black hair falling about her shoulders and cheeks like a dark, beautiful waterfall.  Wendy was stricken and paralyzed.

 

Lets not spend a moment wasting time,

because we have very far to go.

 

"Tell me before I start tickling," warned Irene , her voice failing to sound stern as she couldn't help but giggle at the look on Wendy's face, dark eyes wide like a newborn deer, lips hanging slack in disbelief.  Wendy clapped shut, the soft blush on her cheeks now turning a deep crimson as she ripped her gaze away from Irene once more.  Swallowing deeply, she then exhaled slowly and began translating the lyrics as they spilled from the small speaker on her phone.

 

I will go if you will take me,

I have never had a lover.

I am young but so alone.

 

Irene grew still as she hovered above Wendy, suddenly conscious of the girl beneath her.  She could feel a heated flush rising up on her cheeks and neck, knowing her face had turned red with a blush of her own.  Her chest suddenly felt heavy as her breath began to feel think, her pulse racing of it's own accord as she simply stared down at the young girl.  Ever so slowly Wendy turned her head, dark eyes wide and vulnerable as they meet Irene's once more.  A shock of electricity ran down Irene's spine, goose bumps rising along the flesh of her arms as their gazes locked.  She her lips, wind whirling as she suddenly saw Wendy in a new light.

 

We spent the whole night talking,

But in the gold of morning...

 

As the song trailed off, they stayed there, eyes locked as they both fought to calm their racing pulses.  Minutes passed and their blushes only deepened, unconventional thoughts and desires filling Irene's mind.  Finally she spoke in a honey voice as she lowered herself to wrap arms around Wendy in a tight hug.

"Wendy-ah... you are not alone."