Life's a Beach

LoveUP!

A cool wind blew in from the ocean, a brief relief from the humid heat of Thailand, as the girls followed the crew to the next shooting location. Irene glanced over at Wendy, the pretty, small girl sticking close to her side. Every now and then their eyes would meet and Wendy would blush and quickly look away, the action coming across as adorable to Irene. She had always loved to see Wendy flustered.

"Okay, we are going to be setting up the cameras for your lunch. We'll also be changing camera batteries, so you have about 20 minutes before we're ready. If you need to take a break, now is the time," called out the PD. Hearing those words, a wide grin drew Irene's lips wide, her head turning on a slow swivel to look at Wendy.  The girl was already looking at her, eyes wide and lips slack, she looked like a small animal locked in place with surprise.

"Wendy-ah, let's look around together okay?" Irene stretched out her hand, fingers splayed wide, beckoning Wendy. The small girl slid her hand into Irene's, their fingers closing and locking, inter-twined, the touch sending a shock of thrills through her. With a tug, Irene began to drag Wendy behind her, guiding the small girl to the beach.

The soft sand crunched beneath their shoes, her eyes daring around to see if they had been followed, a sense of relief when she saw nobody had.  Her eyes caught Seulgi, hair whipping around in the wind watching them, watching them intently. She flashed a quick smile before returning her attention to Wendy who simply followed along quietly, eyes downcast, a tender blush on those squirrel like cheeks. As they reached the dark line of sand where the waves crested on the beach before rolling back out again, Irene stopped and turned to face Wendy.

They both turned to face each other, Wendy's head slowly rolling up, a look of worry easy to read on the girls’ expressive face. Irene offered a comforting smile, her eyes soft as she gazed at the girl in front of her. The cool breeze washed over them, tendrils of hair whipping in the wind, their loose clothes flapping about them. Screwing up her courage, Irene spoke softly, her words almost lost in the wind.

"Wendy-ah, do you like me?"

She watched as Wendy reacted as though shot, her body going tense, she worried the girl was going to fall back. The girls’ eyes quickly darted around before a loud, forced laugh filled Wendy's throat.

"Of course I do, Unnie! We're like best friends right?" The words rocked Irene for a moment, she felt a sudden uneasiness gnawing at the pit of her stomach.  Did Wendy not understand the question or was she trying to avoid it, she wondered. She shook away those feelings and took a step closer to Wendy, her head cocking slightly to the side as she spoke again, this time determined to make herself clearer.

"That's not what I mean. Do you have a crush on me?"

Wendy's eyes flew wide, the girl suddenly starting to sputter, glancing around furiously. She felt Wendy try to let go of her hand in a sudden panic. Irene gripped on tight, refusing to let go.  Her other hand reached up to cup the girls chin, turning Wendy's face to her own.

"It's okay, Wendy-ah. I have a crush on you too." Irene smiled brightly, her eyes melting as she watched Wendy suddenly go still, the girls features betraying every emotion as they washed over her. "I've had a crush on you for a long time but didn't realize it till this morning," Irene continued as she took a step closer to Wendy. She could see tears building at the corner of Wendy's eyes, features melting, relief obvious in the girls’ eyes and features.

"Is this real?"  Wendy's voice trembled as she simply gazed at Irene, those words like fire, burning into her ears and warming her skin. Irene could only nod as her free hand reached up to caress Wendy's dark hair, tucking back loose tendrils of dark hair, flying wild in the wind, safely behind an ear.

"It is. I meant it when I called you my girlfriend this morning. I want us to try, okay?" With a blubbering noise, Wendy lurched forward to catch Irene in a hug, tears escaping the girls eyes as a wave of relief had run through her. With a soothing noise, Irene began to pat her new girlfriends head, trying to comfort Wendy. They stood there a long moment, simply caught in the embrace and emotions.

"What the?" came Seulgi's voice, the sound causing them both to stiffen, both of their heads turning slowly, eyes wide in shock and horror to see her standing just off. Lost in their emotions and conversation, they hadn't heard Seulgi come to them.

When did she get here?  How much did she hear!?  What does she know!? Irene thought, opening and closing quickly, unable to utter a word.

"You're BOTH gay?"