18. when he hangs out with his ex-girlfriend

My Boyfriend (나의 남자 친구)

continuation of 17. when he keeps liking other girls' photos | set after 13. ten reasons why i love my boyfriend

warning: if you're a rosekook fan, just skip this part (to avoid breaking your hearts). otherwise, just go ahead ;)

-🌸-

It's like hell week, only difference is, my head isn't exploding because of terminologies I have to memorize. Instead, it's about to explode because of thoughts caused by one man.

Junhoe didn't attempt to call me after that phone call. He also stopped waiting for me at the bus stop. We don't have common classes this semester so I don't see him on classes anymore. It's like any traces of him is gone out of my life, like he never existed in the first place.

My friends' distant chatter falls like a lullaby in my ears. I've long tuned out since I'm not interested at the moment. Jennie's speaking in hush tones though, probably in one of her gossip tirades again.

We're en route to the cafeteria, enjoying the blooming days of spring. Cherry blossom petals are sprinkling all over the campus, led by the silent passing of the wind. The roofed sidewalk gives us shade amidst of the sun beating its rays upon us. It's a good day, only if I'm not too busy sulking about something, or rather, someone.

I'm too preoccupied that when Lisa steps in front of me, shouting, "Ha!" I jump like a startled rabbit.

"Lisa!" I exclaim, massaging my palpitating heart. "Don't scare me like that..."

She falls behind me, right beside a giggling Jisoo. I sigh and shake my head, thinking that Lisa's behavior will continue to surprise me every time.

Lisa is someone I didn't expect would belong in our group. For a year, it's only me and the unnies, Jisoo and Jennie. After I told them Lisa kicked Junhoe, catching him buying a uhm... rubber, they asked—no, persuaded—her to join our group even if she's not in the same department as us (she's a computer engineering major).

She's spunky and speaks what's on her mind, two of the things Jennie treasures the most. She's also quirky, a trait that Jisoo can relate so much. It's like we've known each other forever, like she's the missing puzzle of our group. Of course, when the news reached Junhoe's ears, he was the least happy about it.

Speaking of which, Junhoe...

Jennie nudges me with her elbow. "Boyfriend alert. Two o'clock."

Don't look. Don't look. Don't look. If you do, you'll only be exposing your weakness.

Who am I kidding? It's been two days already. I shouldn't but like a move my eyes already memorized, they stray to his familiar figure, the only man I'm missing a lot.

Junhoe's with some of his friends. They're laughing about something funny Bobby said, enough to make Junhoe smirk. As if sensing I'm looking at him, he turns at my direction. The smirk wipes off his face when he does.

My feet comes to a slow halt, affected by his gaze. Like their usual effect, they put me in place, like a magic spell without incantation, without even effort on his part.

Guilt eases in like thorny thistles wrapping around my heart, gripping until it hurts, until I can't feel myself breathing. And like a spell, the magic is broken when Junhoe looks away, proceeding with his life like I'm only a stranger in the crowd.

Their friends pass us by, some even trying to catch my attention with their stares, but I don't return them, fearing I'll only see pity for me. When Junhoe passes me by, that's the only time I can feel myself knocked out of air. He comes, a formidable force to reckon with without even opening his mouth. When he doesn't spare me a glance, it's something that sends my insides churning in a way I can't stomach. The air he leaves behind feels like a slap in the face, along with the familiar scent of mint I've grown to love.

He's my boyfriend but at the same time, he's like a stranger.

Why is he mad in the first place? If anything, I'm the one who should be mad. Just because I told him things and it hurt him doesn't mean I have to apologize for it. Did I say something wrong? I'm only saying the truth.

He's so stupid. Raising my chin indignantly, I walk faster than intended, having a slight lapse in my memory that I'm with the girls.

Jennie walks ahead to match my pace. "Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's cold turkey shunning, honey."

Lisa catches up but stays behind us, right beside Jisoo. "It's been days already." She says that in a tone enough to say, 'This is stupid.'

"Let him be stubborn for all I care," I mutter.

"If anything you're both being stubborn," Jisoo comments.

"I'm the one being stubborn?" I throw my hands up. "He's the one who ignored me first. I'm only following up."

Jennie grabs the metal clasp of the glass door leading to the cafeteria. She enters first, me after, and the other girls. She casts me a sideways glance before leading the way towards the assembly line. "No one benefits from this, Chaeyoung. The longer you drag this out, the more feelings are gonna get hurt."

We stop as we reach the end of the line. It's moving in a turtle-like pace because only one's manning the service area. Why are they so slow?

"I fail to see the logic in this, unnie. I voiced out my side and this—" I gesture my hand in a circular motion. "—happened because of his mistake. I don't get it. Why is he mad at me?"

I lean my against the metal railing and cross my arms, just in time to see Jisoo shrug. "Guy minds are tricky."

"If anything, he's avoiding. If he can't get out of the sticky situation by being sorry about it, he'd be mad at you then." Lisa crosses her arms. "Tricky bastard."

"Have you tried talking to him again?" Jennie asks.

"We tried that out but we all know how that ended."

"Well, did you try it out when you're both calm?" When I didn't reply, one corner of Jennie's lips lift, along with her shoulders. "Anger gets the worst out of us. You should know."

Moving away from the railing, I follow after Jennie when the line moves. "Are you suggesting I talk to him first?"

Just the thought of it makes me shiver. Junhoe's always the one initiating that we go talk about our problems, mostly him on the receiving end of my anger. This time, it's different because we're both mad and no one wants to talk. It's the cold war. It's only a matter of time before it really becomes a war, of words.

Jennie tips her chin in a thinking motion. "Hm... that is kinda tricky. But if you're asking me, talking is better than the silent treatment, right?"

It sends me into stunned silence.

She's right.

-🌸-

Goo Junhoe, Park Chaeyoung
[PRIVATE MESSAGE]

Junhoe: Someone's inviting me to a birthday party over the weekend. Can I come?

Chaeyoung: Do whatever you want. I don't care

Junhoe: Great. I'll still come without your permission either

———

Park Chaeyoung, Lalisa Manoban
[PRIVATE MESSAGE]

Chaeyoung: [sent screenshot]

Chaeyoung: UGH can you see how snarky he was???

Lisadump him

Lisa: makes things better

ChaeyoungI wish

Lisa: whats holding u back?

ChaeyoungIt's not that easy

Lisa: mhm

Lisasay 'lets break up' and its done

ChaeyoungI don't mean that

ChaeyoungI mean we have to talk this out first

Chaeyoung: I kinda miss him

Lisa: dont

Lisa: then youll be the one beggin on ur knees

Lisa: we dont want that hunny

Chaeyoung: I'm just sad this thing's happening between us

Lisa: i know what will cheer u up

Lisa: party this sat @ 6pm. come wd me?

ChaeyoungI don't know...

Lisaits fun i promise

Lisa: takes ur mind off things

Chaeyoung: Junhoe wouldn't like me going to night parties. Plus, my curfew

Lisa: eh what curfew?

Lisa: sides, junboy's acting likr a

Lisa: give him a taste of his own medicine. u dont even need his permission as much as he didnt need yours

Chaeyoung is typing...

Chaeyoung is typing...

Chaeyoung is typing...

Chaeyoung is typing...

Chaeyoung is typing...

ChaeyoungFinee

Lisa: thats my girl! dont be late. love uuu

-🌸-

When I glance at my phone, I receive a text from Lisa, saying they're on their way; they meaning her and her father. Since he's coming, it sounds like we're attending a formal party, but we're not. It's a birthday party at its best, considering its location is at a hip place in town.

Lisa says the celebrant's still a bachelor. She also says he's an alumni of our university. I don't know who she's talking about, but I bet it's someone I'm not familiar with. There are a lot of graduates after all.

My sight goes over the glowing neon light of the establishment. From my position at the entrance, I see the interior with modern accents of black. The lounge chairs contrast the black with bright colors of pink, blue, and yellow. I want to come inside, but I feel shy.

I lean against the concrete wall. The party's near our apartment complex so it's just a walking distance. Even though Lisa hasn't arrived yet, I go ahead. It's better if I'm early rather than make her wait.

The evening breeze makes me shiver a bit, making me regret bringing a jacket. I don't want to stand out so I opt to wear a brown crop-top and a jean skirt instead, pairing my outfit with white sneakers.

"Chaeyoung!"

Turning to the source of the voice, I squint my eyes to see better. Through the little light the sidewalk can allow, I can make out a tall figure of a man. I recognize who it is when he stops in front of me.

"Jungkook, good evening."

Jungkook does a little wave. "Good evening." He glances inside the venue. "Do you want to wait inside? You look cold."

Nodding, I say, "If that's alright with you."

He opens the door himself, creating a fancy, twirling gesture of hands then pointing inside. "After you, miss."

The act makes me laugh a little. I enter anyway. "You're quite the charmer, aren't you?"

Jungkook shrugs as he follows after me and closes the door behind. "I don't know. Maybe I'm just naturally charming?"

Our first meeting comes to mind, the one at the café when I was a substitute for Jisoo unnie. The memory makes me giggle. It's always a favorite topic of ours when he riles his girlfriend too much. "My recollection says otherwise..."

"Jungkook! Chaengie!"

We turn where the voice's coming from. It's Lisa. Because we're too preoccupied with our conversation, we don't notice her arrival right away. I thought I will get to experience one of the comfy chairs inside, but I guess not.

Jungkook becomes stiff as a board when he sees who she's with. As if on auto-pilot, he does a very polite bow, one in a right angle. I do a polite bow too, but not as polite as Jungkook's towards Lisa's father.

Lisa's father chuckles while patting Jungkook on the shoulder, although it seems heavier than intended. Then he shifts his attention to me. "Is your boyfriend alright now?"

Offering him a little smile, I nod. He nods too. "Good. I thought we had to send him to the hospital after what happened. My girl's too much of a fighter, don't you think so?" He chuckles again and points at us three. "Let me leave you youngsters to yourselves. Enjoy the party!" With a final wave, he walks towards the sleek double doors behind us and disappears inside.

Lisa taps Jungkook on his back repeatedly and bends him straight up when it's obvious he's not functioning soon. "Get up! Geez... why are you like this? It's not like it's the first time you met him..."

Jungkook's laughing, although it sounds more nervous than done out of amusement. "He scares me..."

In response, she rolls her eyes. "Will you still act like that if you become his son-in-law?"

"Lisa..." His eyes twinkles, a huge grin on his lips. "you want me to be your husband someday?"

Well, this is awkward... The concierge in the middle sends me a smile and I send one back, albeit cringed. Since we're the only ones here, she must've heard their conversation too. I'm happy for Lisa and all but, this is awkward for us to witness.

To my relief, Lisa knows I'm here when she clings to my arm. "Don't be like this. Chaeyoung's here." She drags me towards the same door her father entered in, without warning. She's acting weird... one glance from her and I can see why. She's blushing!

It surprises me to see her like this. Usually, she'd be energetic, not shy. I look over my shoulder to see Jungkook. He's not better than Lisa either. Although their difference lies with the huge Cheshire grin on his face.

I shake my head. These two lovebirds...

Their situation becomes forgotten for a moment when I see the poster beside the doors. It's placed on an easel stand, details written in white calligraphy letters against a black background. The biggest font displays the celebrant's name, 'Dong Youngbae'.

Where did I hear that name before...?

I'll ask Lisa about it later.

When Lisa and I open the door, the music fills our ears. From the first look, it looks too much of a bachelor's party. Neon strobes dance around the function hall so it looks dark compared to the well-lighted entrance. Various tables surround the open area in what must be a place for dancing. White fabrics are draped in a pinwheel pattern on the ceiling, yellow lanterns placed in between. At the very front is a raised platform with a black sofa, white cloths twirling the four posts of the platform's edges.

The music from the amplifiers pound against my ears as we walk inside. I nod my head to the beat of the music since they're playing one of Dean's songs. There are already a lot of people here, I notice. I don't get the chance to see who's attending though when Lisa walks towards a table, closest to the buffet. It's a different table from her father's. He's already seated at a table, the one close to the front, talking with people I assume to be his friends. They look like they're the same age.

"Did you specifically choose to sit here because of the food?" Jungkook jokes.

Lisa throws me a look as we sit down on the round table of eight. "Oh, you know Chaeng's more suitable for that."

Nudging her a little, I say, "Lisa..."

She just laughs.

I remember the name I see before and decide to ask her before I forget. "How did you know the celebrant by the way? His name rings a bell."

She drinks from a wine glass just filled with water by a passing waiter, then looks at me. "Taeyang sunbaenim? My father knows him since he works in the pharmaceutical industry. If you're catching up with your boyfriend, you must've heard sunbaenim was in the university's business summit weeks ago."

"Taeyang... sunbaenim? But the name in front says Dong Youngbae."

Jungkook answers this time. "Taeyang sunbaenim's real name is Dong Youngbae. It's a nickname."

A memory shifts at the back of my mind. "Did he study Business Administration?"

"Yeah, if I remember correctly."

Ah... That's why. How foolish of me to forget. Taeyang sunbaenim has quite a reputation, a good one at that. He's a well-known alumni for starting a business soon after his graduation. His first venture is considered a hit and looking at his peers' progresses, he's the first success story. He's often invited to give speeches in university events because of this.

Junhoe invited me one time. Even though Taeyang accomplished a lot by now, he treats everyone well after the session, greeting every junior he knew during his time. Junhoe's one of them.

Speaking of which, Junhoe... he wouldn't be here, would he?

-🌸-

Jinhwan beside me sends a look. "Cheer up, Junhoe. Everyone can see you're a wreck."

I make face and don't say anything else. This is stupid.

A waiter comes to fill our glasses with water. I would've requested booze but the party's not yet starting. It's technically unacceptable.

"Do you know Hanna's here too?"

"Really?" I say without much thought. I don't really care.

My sight lingers around the area. "When is Taeyang hyung gonna appear?"

"Later. He said he's coming with the other seniors." Jinhwan shifts on his seat. "Listen, I know you don't want to be here but do you really want to make it obvious?"

I shrug. "I'm not even doing anything."

He waves a hand and gestures to me. "Look at this, this whole bummer aura. Go sulk somewhere else. This is a happy party. Go away bummer Junhoe."

I roll my eyes. He's making a big deal out of it. If I don't feel well, do I have to pretend I'm okay?

Jinhwan starts nagging again but I tune it out. I let other things distract me instead. People here are people I know from the university, even recent graduates from Seungyoon hyung's band of friends. They're at the table across from us. Mino hyung catches my eyes and raises his eyebrows, along with a nod. I do the same gesture back.

Jinhwan taps my leg. "Junhoe. Junhoe."

I refocus on him. What is he on to again?

He nods at the entrance doors. "Is that Chaeyoung?"

Chaeyoung?

I turn at the mention of her name. She's really here... I'm seeing it myself but I have a hard time believing it. What's she doing here?

"Do you know him?" I ask, wary eyes trained on the man following her to one of the tables, farthest away from us. I see Lalisa Manoban's with her too. How can I forget someone who kicked me on the balls?

"Why do I recognize him..." Jinhwan squints, then a flash of recognition lights up his face. He sends me a wary glance. "Oh."

His statement alarms me. "What?"

"Isn't that the one who tried to hit on your girlfriend?"

I turn quiet at that. Now that he mentions it, I remember. As far as I know, Chaeyoung cut off any communication with him. They're not exactly friends so why are they together now?

The chair's hurting my back so I readjust. "She isn't supposed to be here."

"Taeyang says we can invite friends of our friends too."

"She's not even invited."

"Mhm," Jinhwan mutters, as if he doesn't hear what I say.

"She didn't even ask me!"

"You practically did the same thing."

That's a lie. "I asked her."

"Before saying you're going to do whatever you want, even without her permission."

"I was provoked," I respond in defense. It sounds silly I now realize. Jinhwan makes me feel that too when he stares at me like I'm an idiot.

"I'm sure you were just hurt because she didn't give a damn."

That stings more than I'd like to admit.

My fingers play with the silverware beside the wine glass. "She was supposed to care..."

"Junhoe..." Jinhwan scratches one eyebrow and angles his torso to me. "—you were supposed too. I don't know why we're talking about this. Didn't this all start because you were being stupid? Why are you acting stubborn now?"

I don't say anything else. To tell the truth, I know I'm the one at fault. What right do I have to be mad really? But the damage has been done and now we're here.

They say the hardest people to apologize to are the ones closest to us. That can't be anymore true.

"I need a drink; a strong one."

-🌸-

When the program starts, I'm surprised to see Jinwoo oppa's friend as the MC. They recently graduated from the university so it's refreshing to him here.

Seungyoon sunbaenim, with his outstanding blonde locks, stands tall beside the platform in front, holding a mic and a program card. I let my eyes wander around the tables. If they're here, then there's a big possibility that...

"Hyung, you said we were going to go together. I waited for you...!" Hanbin oppa's shrilly whining voice enters my ears, fading as he walks farther from our table. Even if I don't look behind, I'm sure it's him. But to make sure, I turn my head around.

Sure enough, it's Hanbin, dressed in a semi-formal look, with a black coat over a grey turtleneck. He's walking with Yunhyeong oppa who's wearing a similar look, with him only substituting the turtleneck with a white dress shirt.

"You were still sleeping when I called you. How am I going to deal with your slowpoke of an ?" Yunhyeong replies, still heard amidst the stereo's music since he raised his voice a little.

When they take a seat at one of the tables, the one at the other end of ours, my heart jolts. With the addition of Hanbin and Yunhyeong, they're already complete.

Without thinking, I grab hold of Lisa's arm who's beside me. "Lisa..."

She stops talking to Jungkook for a moment. "What?"

"Junhoe... He's here..."

"What?" Her response now is reflecting more of disbelief. She follows my line of sight. "Oh..."

I can't believe it... Even if I can only see his back, I know it's him. With his combed-back hair and the familiar slant of his broad shoulders, I know it's him. Junhoe directs his gaze from looking in front to look at something else, making me see half of his face. As a reflex, I stop looking at him. I don't want him to know I'm here.

This is crazy. At the back of my mind, I start thinking maybe this is Lisa's plan, but even I know she's as surprised as I am.

"I'm sorry, Chaeng. I didn't know about this..."

I give her a smile even though it's the last thing I want to do right now. How am I able to get through the night knowing he's here?

-🌸-

The party starts with the appearance of the man of the hour but I'm too preoccupied thinking when's the booze gonna appear. I'm acting like a bastard I know, as what every telling look Jinhwan throws at me.

I shrug and keep my gaze on Taeyang sitting on the sofa in front. Seungyoon hyung's doing the opening introduction. It's the least of my concern but I try to listen anyway, fearing that in moments of idleness, I'll find myself looking at the far corner of the room looking at a familiar face. That'll only send me in pieces.

"... Goo Junhoe?"

Jinhwan shakes me off my reverie. "Junhoe. Junhoe. You're up!"

"What?"

"You're called!"

"What?" I repeat again.

My gaze travels around the table. All of my friends are sending me mischievous looks. Bobby's even clapping with a smile reaching up to his eyes. Obviously, he finds my situation funny, a situation I don't know how I got in at all.

In my haze, when Jinhwan orders me to stand up and go in front, I follow. I look at others already beside the MC. They're in pairs. A boy and a girl. The one left without a pair is the only one I know among them; Hanna.

Seungyoon sends me a 'sorry' look, then directs his gaze to an unknowing Taeyang, giving me the most innocent smile he can muster. Of course, he doesn't know. He already graduated before Hanna and I broke up. He must've assumed we're still together.

I step inside the premises of the spotlight aimed in front. When I go towards Hanna, I send a glare directed at my friends' table when they hollered, the white light forcing me to squint harder at them. Jinhwan shuts them up.

"As per request of the birthday celebrant, we're starting the party with a little game," Seungyoon explains, looking at his cue card for a moment. "This is a game which we all know and love. Do you have any guess what it is?" He pulls a box from his back pocket and shakes it with a knowing smile. "It involves this box of pepero~"

Pepero game.

Damn it.

The discovery sends my idiotic friends to howl, "Ooooh..."

Stupid idiots. I want to shut their annoying mouths one by one.

Hanna sends me a glance and nervously laugh. I, in return, look at Seungyoon and shake my head no. I'm already in a pissed off mode. Should this fuel it more?

I take a few steps behind us to go to Taeyang and explain, "Hyung, Hanna and I aren't—" but he cuts me off. "Oh, shush. It's just a game isn't it?"

"But hyung—" My girlfriend's here, I want to say, but he cuts me off again.

"Do this for my birthday, please? 'Sides, are you going to embarrass Hanna who's already in front?"

I stay silent, mulling over his words. He has a point. I'm acting like a bastard all night but I shouldn't be disrespectful either. With a sigh, I give up and let him do as he pleases.

Seungyoon opens the box of pepero and let each pair take one stick each. I take one for us. With a deep breath, I try to calm myself. I want nothing but crash this thing between my fingers.

"You okay?" Hanna asks.

I curtly nod. With the way her eyes direct their gaze at me, I know she knows I'm anything but okay. She says something but with the music still going, it comes off as unrecognizable.

"I'm sorry, what?"

Hanna steps close to my ear and I lean in to hear her. "I said, I know you're not okay. Trouble in paradise?"

I reply with a grunt. I think of what I need to say in reply to that, but nothing's coming out, at least in a way a person can understand.

"Just so that everybody can catch up, each pair must eat the stick of pepero and keep it the shortest as possible. The pair who has the shortest one will win a special prize from the birthday celebrant!"

Seungyoon gives us a cue to ready the stick. I hold the chocolate stick near my lips. This time, Hanna has a determined look on her face. She's always like this; competitive, even during unexpected situations. It's never the right time to be competitive though, now that a certain person's watching.

"Chaeyoung's here," I say, hoping it'll change her mind.

"I know. Why are you sitting apart though?"

"None of your business. Will you help me bail out of this stupid game as fast as possible?"

She shakes her head and sports a little grin. "Not a chance."

A few seconds after Seungyoon says, "Start!" I hold the stick between my lips. Hanna takes hold of my shoulder to go close, puts her lips around the stick, and without hesitation, starts approaching closer as she takes bites. Her speed somewhat overwhelms me that I take a step back.

Typical of Hanna. To be honest, she's scary when she gets competitive. Usually then, I'd let her do what she wants, but right now, all I want to do is end this stupid game as fast as possible. It isn't worth risking anything.

I remove my grip away from the stick. It falls out of my lips but she catches it with her hand. I'm not at all thrilled so it leaves us with a rather big length. I just want to get this over with, okay?

"Junhoe!" Hanna, in her irritation, exclaims. She could drill holes on my face with the way she's looking at me. Am I scared? No. This is a stupid game.

"Don't put me in an uncomfortable situation just to satisfy your thirst to win."

She frowns and gives the piece of stick on the plate that Seungyoon holds out in front of her. "Isn't it hard to at least pretend you tried?"

What's the point of trying when our meeting is arranged for the amusement of others? This isn't funny, I want to say. Even though we're in a middle of a fight, I don't want to do anything that will upset my girlfriend.

-🌸-

"Chaeng... you okay?"

Right when I recognize Lisa's worried tone, I loosen my grip on my skirt, realizing now that I'm clutching it too tightly. Blinking my eyes to shake me back to reality, I muster a smile.

"Don't worry about me. I'm okay."

That's everything but a truth. I'm not okay.

I accepted Lisa's offer to take me to this party, hoping I'll forget my problems for a moment, but it's becoming a complete opposite.

Even though Junhoe assures me I'm the one he loves, the fear that he's still hung up on his ex haunts me. It's a bad thought, I know, but I can't help it, especially now that their interactions are becoming frequent. Like Hanna, he doesn't seem uncomfortable with the way he leans close to her.

I snap back to reality when I feel Lisa's warm hand on my arm and Jungkook's concerned look aimed at me. "Chaeyoung," Lisa begins. "Tell me something you want to do and I'll support you a hundred percent."

Remembering her enthusiasm on kicking Junhoe again makes me smile a little. "You don't have to do anything, Lisa. I'm fine. I'm okay. I can handle this."

I'm having doubts on that part but I don't want her to worry. She's supposed to be having fun with Jungkook at this party, not babysit me.

The night proceeds with the program. I'm too distracted with my own thoughts for me to fully focus on everything. Before I know it, it's already time for dinner.

"Kookie, baby, can you get us two to eat?" Lisa throws in her irresistible pout ever, something I can only catch when she's with him. "Please? I'm lazy..."

"Of course. Anything for you," is Jungkook's smitten reply.

Sweet. If he's Junhoe, he'd reply with, "I can't handle two heavy plates, Chaeyoung."

Yeah, I know. What a loving boyfriend.

We're closest to the buffet table so it's easy when we're instructed to fall in line next. I thought I might be able to survive this part of the party, but I guess not. The next table's instructed to fall in line with us too and guess whose table it is?

"...Is that Chaeyoung?"
"Yeah, it is."
"No way..."

Among all of them, Bobby's the one who greets me first, paired with his trademark eye-disappearing smile. "Hey, Chaeyoung!"

The other guys follow his lead by greeting me too. Knowing full well about my fight with their friend, they're acting weird, although not intentional. Chanwoo glances at Junhoe behind him after greeting me. Jinhwan's sending Junhoe a look and I could tell he's nudging my boyfriend's back. Junhoe doesn't budge from his position and picks up a plate without sparing a glance, like I don't exist at all.

"Hey uh, Chanwoo....Come here for a sec. I want to talk to you," Donghyuk says who's in between Jinhwan and Hanbin.

The youngest in their group responds obediently without saying a word. I know what they're up to. With Chanwoo moving, it means Junhoe's behind me.

The air becomes thick between us. I can feel it even though no words are exchanged. Jungkook, who's oblivious with the scenario, sends me a sweet smile. "Chaeyoung, what do you recommend I'll get here?"

I take his question as a suggestion for Lisa's preference. However, Junhoe's actions tonight flashes in my head. With his lack of effort to explain things through, it fuels what I'm about to do. Yes, it's petty but I can't help it. I'm in a silent feud with him anyway.

Returning a sweeter smile, I point towards the Tangsuyuk, a Chinese sweet and sour pork, in front of me. "This looks delicious, don't you think so? Hope you like sweet things. It's rare to find one nowadays..." As an added effort, I scoop some of the dish to serve on Jungkook's plate, a notion causing me to receive his shy, "Thank you," in return.

When we move along the table, I continue serving Jungkook as much as possible, putting dishes on the two plates he's carrying. I'm helping so that he'll not go back anymore. Of course, I'm also filling my own plate. Without context, it looks like he's carrying the two plates for the both of us when in reality, the other one's for his girlfriend.

When I finish filling both of the plates, Junhoe passes us by, his leave noticeable by the whip of air he leaves on his wake. My eyes catch sight of something odd. On his hands are two plates; one for the main dishes and the other, for snacks.

My forehead creases more when I see a strange food on his plate (strange for him, that is). He has Hawaiian pizzas... He hates them, right?

-🌸-

I push the snack plate towards Jinhwan right when they come back from the buffet table. "It's yours if you want to."

It's understandable when he gives me a weirded out look. "Why did you pick them if you're not going to eat it?"

With the arrival of Jinhwan, the others come to fill the table. Chanwoo, carrying a mountain of a plate, sits at my other side and leans forward. He has a stupid grin on his face as he says, "It wasn't for him." Before I can say anything, he extends his arm towards my plate and snatches the pizza. "I'll get this since you don't eat this anyway..."

"Whatever."

Not in the mood to argue, I eat everything on my plate as silently as possible. The guys are doing much of the noise anyway. They don't need me to contribute to that.

During the evening, I feel Jinhwan's stare at me. I know he wants to say something but in the end, gives up with a sigh. He'll try to talk sense to me once again, I know. What am I supposed to do? I tried even though she doesn't know that part. I feel like I'll only disturb her, especially if she's too preoccupied with someone else.

Halfway through finishing my meal, Jinhwan can't help it anymore. Out of the blue, he lowers his voice so that I can hear him say, "Talk to her."

"I don't want to," I say without missing a beat.

"Come on, Junhoe. You know you want to."

He's right but I don't want to voice that out.

"You're going to lose her if you keep being like this," he adds as he nudges my thigh with his.

As much as I'd like a reply to come out of my mouth, I stay silent. I know it's only a matter of time before he hits me with the hard truth.

"You know what, it's your life. Choose whatever you want. But let me tell you, Chaeyoung's hurting as much as you do. No one wants this outcome, or do you?"

His words are enough to make me stop eating. Chaeyoung... she's hurting too, isn't she?

The party ends after a few hours. Throughout the party, I find myself looking at their table, hoping just for once, she'll do the same. She never did. How could she? She's having fun, something that I don't see these days.

"Junhoe, you coming?"

"What?"

I feel like I'm saying that a lot today. I'm really out of sorts. Can they blame me?

"You coming or what?" Hanbin asks. The guys on the table look at me, expecting a response.

"Where?"

Donghyuk looks exasperated. "Taeyang's after-party. Were you not listening?"

"Oh."

A momentary silence passes between us. Yunhyeong and Donghyuk send Jinhwan looks as if they'll find the answer to my antics. Jinhwan just shrugs.

"So you coming or what?" Hanbin asks again, this time with a more understanding tone. Given how I'm acting the whole night, he must've had enough sense why I'm out of it.

I send another glance at Chaeyoung's table. They're all standing to leave. Distractedly, I tap Jinhwan and Chanwoo on their shoulders, mumbling, "Go without me..."

"Is he finally talking to Chaeyoung?"
"About damn time..."

I ignore the things my friends say behind my back. Chaeyoung's already halfway towards the double doors. Jogging a little to catch up, I'm almost near when I hear something that stops me on my tracks.

"Let me take you home," the guy she's with says.

Chaeyoung tucks some hair behind her ears. "Is that alright with you?"

With the lights already , I can see him smile at her. "Of course! It'd be more comforting for me if I accompany you home. If you don't mind, that is."

Chaeyoung's other friend, Lalisa, hooks an arm around her. "Go with him already. I feel the same."

"If that's the case, then okay." She tips her head to bow a little. "Thank you, Jungkook-sshi."

With one hand going inside my trouser's pocket, I rub a thumb over my bottom lip. Chaeyoung doesn't know I overhead since she has her back on me. I turn around and go back to my friends before she can see.

The guys are all preparing to leave. When they see me coming, they send me puzzled looks. Without giving them a chance to ask, I say, "Let me go with you too."

"I thought you were just leaving?" Yunhyeong asks.

There's a bitter smile on my face when I say the next words. "There's no reason for me anymore."

-🌸-

I shift awake when I hear the melodious ringtone of my phone, a reminder that it's already eight in the morning. Getting out of bed feels exhausting with my whole body feeling sore.

"Five more minutes..." I mumble. When the ringtone doesn't stop, I lift my upper body and take the phone off the bedside table, thumb selecting the 'Stop' button.

It takes me to the home screen. Still half-awake, I tap the Kakaotalk app, expecting a message from Junhoe, only to realize we're not on speaking terms for me to receive one. With a sigh, I place the phone back to the bedside table. I know I haven't heard any notification during my sleep but just in case... just in case Junhoe leaves me a good morning text again.

The routine I've grown accustomed to is now something I dread missing. I know it's useless to wait for him to make the first move, but I need him to know why I'm upset. Isn't that hard to ask?

Knowing I have three hours left before my first class, I sit upright on the bed, rubbing my eyes of any sleep left in my system.

Life without Junhoe's boring. I mean, I live a pretty simple life before, not until he came and changed my daily routine. By this time, he'd videochat me, still half-asleep, just so he can see me first thing in the morning.

My shoulders tense a little when I hear a notification. I grab the phone as fast as I can, expecting to receive a message from a certain person, only to be disappointed. It's from Lisa. My forehead creases when she starts bombarding me with numerous messages.

Lisa: morning chaeng
Lisa: hope u got a lovely sleep last night ^^
Lisa: anyway
Lisa: i hope ur mornings not ruined cos of this
Lisa: u know i love u right?

Chaeyoung: Good morning to you too. What is it, Lisa?

Lisa is typing...

Lisa is typing...

Lisa is typing...

My worry increases the more I see the three dots moving. Then, it disappears. I wait for a reply but after about ten seconds, I don't receive anything.

Chaeyoung: You're making me worry...

Lisa: sorry

Lisa: its about ur bf

Lisa: they went to a karaoke after-party wd taeyang sunbaenim. junhoe's friends and sunbaes are all there

Lisa: hanna too

The same heavy feeling in my chest comes back when her name's mentioned. I have a bad feeling but I push it away, believing Junhoe will not do anything to sabotage our relationship.

Chaeyoung: What about it?

Lisa: have u alr seen this?

She sends me a link to a video. The thumbnail's full of people I know since they're Junhoe's friends. As usual, they look like messing around, wearing clown wigs while holding tambourines. I have a feeling I'm not going to like what I'm about to see, but I proceed anyway.

It's a mistake.

▶︎ ▮▮ ━━━━◦────── 2:32

~🌸tbc.