o9. when i get cold

My Boyfriend (나의 남자 친구)

"Can you buy me some ice cream, Junhoe?" I nicely asked in my best aegyo voice after finishing lunch at our favorite restaurant.

The kimchi stew had long been emptied out on the stone pot, warmly claiming our stomachs as its home. Because of this, I was craving for something else. The spiciness was calling out for its counterpart.

Thinking that aegyo wasn't enough, I playfully nudged his knee with mine under the table. Junhoe didn't even budge at that. I wanted to sigh. When we started dating, my aegyo would always work, but now...

"No. You'll get colder and steal my jacket."

As if sensing that it would happen anytime soon, he protectively reached out for his jacket hanging on the chair beside him. He even had the nerve to narrow his eyes at me!

I eyed the oversized gray hoodie I borrowed a long time ago (this hoodie is good as mine). "I'm wearing yours right now though..."

Junhoe rolled his eyes while picking up his spoon to scoop some remaining soup on the pot, slurping it after. This guy... his stomach doesn't know no end. "I know you're wearing three layers of clothing. I'm just saying that if I buy you ice cream, you'll be colder and steal my jacket in the end."

"No, I won't."

"Yes, you will."

"No."

"Yes."

"No."

"Yes," he hissed, his patience obviously running thin.

I stuck my tongue out and mouthed, 'No.'

My boyfriend sent me an unfazed look and with how his eyes were naturally sharp, it looked like he was glaring at me. "For goodness' sake, Chaeyoung. We're in the middle of winter and of all the things we can eat, you want that?"

"Please? Think of it as helping ice cream owners earn a living. Life must have been so hard for them, especially now that it's so cold..."

His resolve was dwindling, I could see it in his eyes. Throwing in my final card, I added, "I'll give you a kiss!"

"I don't want your kiss..." he grumbled. "I just want my jacket."

"Then, I promise I'll not steal your jacket. If I do, uhm..." I looked around the restaurant for a clue, but it wasn't giving me any answer (the outside view beside our table was romantic though, with the snow falling and all).

"You'll let me do whatever I want," Junhoe finished my sentence.

I wanted to say yes, but knowing Junhoe... "As long as it's something innocent, then we're okay."

"Darling," he trailed off, a knowing look on his face. "After dating me, do you honestly think we'd be up to something innocent?"

His words made me remember what happened at Jiyong sunbaenim's party, making my cheeks heat without warning. Seriously... If I could have a superpower, it'd be to control myself from blushing.

"Hm?" Junhoe hummed, a teasing tone in his voice as he neared his face as far as he could with the table between us. "Why are you blushing?"

I hid my cheeks with my hands, hoping that it would work. "N – Nothing!"

My boyfriend removed my hand with a single reach of his arms. With this, I saw how wide his grin had grown. "Are you thinking about something naughty to do with me?"

"Why would I do that?"

"You tell me, 'cause your face is saying so."

"I'm not!"

He clicked his tongue. "Chaeyoung... what happened with my innocent Chaeyoung?"

It felt like my cheeks heated up more with what Junhoe was sprouting today. Fanning my face with my hands, I muttered, "Why is it hot in here? Is it because I ate something spicy...?"

"So it's true? You've been thinking about me?"

I nudged his knee with mine, now not-so-gently, while sending a glare. "Stop it, geez."

Junhoe laughed, like really, a boisterous one. Seriously, he gets so much fun in teasing me.

"You know what," I began as I stood up. "If you're not going to get me ice cream, I'll buy one for myself."

Junhoe stood up too and put a hand on my shoulder. "Fine. I'll buy you ice cream. Happy now?"

I enthusiastically nodded, sitting back down. "Very!"

My boyfriend carelessly ruffled his hair as he waded his way towards the counter. I grinned behind him. Success.

🌺🌸🌺

I could feel Junhoe's focused stare on me as I devour my vanilla ice cream. With a shake of his head, he muttered, "You're really something else..."

"What?" I innocently asked as I scooped the last of the ice cream on the cup. The mild sweetness on my tongue sent me smiling. I thought it was a perfect end after eating spicy meals.

Now finished, I put down the cup and clapped my hands, feeling the sugar rush coming in. "Let's go!"

My boyfriend rolled his eyes at my antics. He stood up to wear his padded jacket while I do the same. Time to show Junhoe that I'll not get cold.

As soon as we got out of the warm restaurant though, the below zero degrees weather nipped my skin cold, even if I was already wearing three layers. Why is it so cold this afternoon?

Junhoe's hand held mine. As soon as he did, he sent me a look. "Your hand... it's cold."

It was so cold that when he spoke, his breath fogged with every word. I shook my head as an answer, but he didn't believe me.

"What did I say, Chaeyoung? Always bring your mittens. That's why I gave you one."

I couldn't say anything, afraid that if I do, my lips would just tremble. The cold felt like entering my body temperature too. It must be the ice cream...

"Hey," Junhoe called, shaking my hand a little. "Are you cold?"

I furiously shook my head. "I – I'm not."

To tell the truth, I am, with every fiber of my body. But I don't want to hear him say, 'I told you so,' because I'll really fight with him, even if I was the one in the wrong.

"Don't lie."

"I – I'm really n – not."

Junhoe sighed and took his hand away. I thought he'd scold me with that, but he didn't. Instead, he went behind me, tugged the ends of his jacket and hugged me from behind, encasing me under his clothing. He leaned his chin on top of my shoulder (I love how it seemed to fit so perfectly there) so when he spoke, his breath tickled my ear.

"Feeling warm yet?"

I slowly nodded. I don't think his jacket was the main reason why my temperature rose a few degrees. It was his hard torso leaning against my back (I could still feel it under the layers of clothing he had right now). If that wasn't enough, he peppered my cheek with kisses, knowing that I wouldn't get out of his hold.

"Junhoe!" I exclaimed in between laughs.

He stopped kissing me just to reply, "I can't help it. You're too close to me."

"Then if I let go, will you stop it?"

I knew he was smirking, even if I couldn't see it. "Nope."

"Junhoe!" I scolded, even though my heart wasn't in it. "People are looking..."

"Fine," he said in defeat. "Let's just walk like this?"

His reply sent me laughing. "You want to look like ducks?"

"You know what, I have a better idea." My boyfriend stopped hugging me from behind, making me frown at the loss of his warmth, but turned into a smile when he took my hand again and pocketed it. Turning to me, he asked, "Better?"

I nodded and inched to his body heat closer, as if a moth attracted to light. "Better."

A beautiful smile curved the ends of his lips. And with that, we started walking hand-in-hand, each other's warmth protecting us from this cold afternoon day.

~🌸tbc.